So who got hurt this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:41 pm

do hangovers count as injuries?? :?
don't forget to floss

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Boijoy wrote:do hangovers count as injuries?? :?
depends on how hung you are.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

OhOkCancel

Post by OhOkCancel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Does anyone have any updates on this?
oleg8888 wrote:Friday noon there was a skydiving accident when someone's shute did not open all the way.
I didn't see the fall, but I saw a few ambulances, cops, rangers, sheriffs.... probably everyone was there.
I saw the diver walking to the ambulance by himself, so must not have been serious
There was a word about a second diver at the same time, but I know nothing about it
I saw them both go down -- #1's chute opened but hit hard and was out cold when they landed right by where I was riding (between the man and center camp off of about 8:30/9). #2, whose chute did not open landed in a campsite 8:30/9ish. They looked far worse off and I never found out what happened to them. I was impressed with how quickly medical personnel raced out there but the focus was on #1. I told them about #2 and a car raced over there.

Anyone know if the chute-less faller is OK? It looked bad.

theCryptofishist

Re: Broken femur

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Justintime wrote:I broke my femur at the dome this year, got a ride by helicopter to reno for surgery. I got a rod put in my leg with screws holding in place. The fall didnt hurt at all, probably looked horrible and I feel very lucky to even be alive. No other injuries and I even made it back friday night so I didnt miss the burn and left monday. I started a blog to show my recovery.
\
I hope you have good insurance.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Does anyone have any updates on this?
Some friends saw this, too, and later reported that the one guy who hit and dragged on the playa after coming in WITH the wind (generally a bad move) had main chute problems, released the main and came in on his reserve chute. The main chute was the one (without a person) which went into the city. Does this seem possible? Seems like the main would have collapsed after being released.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm

My only trip to the med tent this year was when myself and a campmate carried a very dehydrated first timer there to get hooked up to an I.V. While we were waiting we saw several people come in, all with nasty slide burns. Kinda ruined my enthusiasm for going down the slide later that day... I'm still a little sad I didn't do it though.

I saw the skydiver go down as well, but I was back on H st when it happened so I didn't see him hit or know anything about it. Glad to hear some news about it. Sounds like everyone's recovered or recovering. It looked pretty nasty from where I was standing.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

rana

Post by rana » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:46 pm

I sliced my finger open pitting an avocado early in the week which was incredibly stupid of me. I know how to pit an avocado the right/safe way, but for some reason I just wanted to get that pit on the tip of my knife, and instead the knife went all the way through the avocado and sliced open my left ring finger pretty deep. Campmates walked me to medical and I got bandaged up; it was a nuisance for the rest of the week and made hand washing and spinning poi awkward. It's actually healed up very nicely since returning to the default world.

I was at Putt Putt Playa when we saw the ambulances and heard of a skydiving accident, it's nice to get more information on here about it.

OrangeHatWomyn

Post by OrangeHatWomyn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:40 pm

I took a bottle of whiskey with me while riding around on my horse-bike on the Esplanade... my elbow still hurts from twisting it while crashing sideways into the Earth Guardian's bike rack (damn their lighted sign was pretty though).

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm

I caught a bit of sun.

I know of two experienced burners who went face down during the week and had to be IVed.
It can happen.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:02 pm

I spent my first evening in BRC puking my guts out. I honestly don't know the last time I threw up so much volume.

Camp mate got some serious skin damage on the slide.

By the end of the week, my backpack (haven't used one since grade school) had rubbed raw spots on my shoulders, that are just now healing.

But I didn't get hurt doing anything fun. :oops:

Well, my pride is hurt, as I'm now known as "the one who couldn't get laid at Burning Man."

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:07 pm

AntiM wrote:
Justintime wrote:I broke my femur at the dome this year, got a ride by helicopter to reno for surgery. I got a rod put in my leg with screws holding in place. The fall didnt hurt at all, probably looked horrible and I feel very lucky to even be alive. No other injuries and I even made it back friday night so I didnt miss the burn and left monday. I started a blog to show my recovery.
Dude!
I'll say! Good luck with your recovery JIT. Hope you can make it back next year.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

YouBlowDeadBear

Post by YouBlowDeadBear » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:03 pm

I saw a guy on a bike get hit by an artcar pretty comedically one day. It was the bikers fault as I saw it. The artcar may have been going a little too fast but the bike rider definitely wasn't watching where he was going and BAM!!! It was pretty funny to see the aftermath go from yelling back and forth to eventually end up in hugs and the artcar taking the biker back to their camp to replace his bent rims for him.
"That's going to go in there?!?!?!"
"Meat hug."

Justintime

Post by Justintime » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 am

Dude![/quote]

I'll say! Good luck with your recovery JIT. Hope you can make it back next year.[/quote]

Thank you, I'll be coming back next year, this time I will be enjoying the playa instead of the hospital all week.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am

C.f.M. wrote: Well, my pride is hurt, as I'm now known as "the one who couldn't get laid at Burning Man."
That'll teach you to stay away from Barbarian Camp. ;)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
C.f.M. wrote: Well, my pride is hurt, as I'm now known as "the one who couldn't get laid at Burning Man."
That'll teach you to stay away from Barbarian Camp. ;)

that's right.........a quick stroll through, stop for 30 seconds, and, you could have lost that moniker.........

:lol:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

falk

Post by falk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Yes, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Then it's just a game -- called "find the eye".

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Ahem !!

I don't find that very funny.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am

So I was wearing sandals. My old athlete's foot in my toe flared up and I could barely walk. I hobbled down to the medical tent and I was quickly seen by one of the volunteers; it was a lovely lady doctor, from Ukiah. As she washed my toe, applied moisturizer and a bandage, admonishing me to wear shoes, she remarked on how volunteering was so much different than working for a living as a physician. I should have gotten her number, huh? <3

Tristan

woman ran-over after passing-out UNDER a parked art-car

Post by Tristan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 pm

on sunday night one woman, who fell asleep / passed-out UNDER a parked art-car, got run-over by the art-car when it started to move. that happened near the hookadome.

Note: it is NOT a good idea to pass-out UNDER a parked art-car.

the woman was conscious when she got taken away by an ambulance, so hopefully it was not too bad. any one has more information?
-- Tristan - http://www.playa-dust.com

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 pm

The people most likely to have good information, the medics, aren't allowed to tell. Patient confidentiality.
Anyone else is likely to be from the crowd who was there and saw what you saw.

Frustrating.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:30 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The people most likely to have good information, the medics, aren't allowed to tell. Patient confidentiality.
Anyone else is likely to be from the crowd who was there and saw what you saw.

Frustrating.
Alas, HIPAA Forbids.
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news ... -explained

Volunteer ESD, Medics and Doctors on playa cant even tell you whether your friend went to Reno on an airlift. But can direct you to people that can (if your friend signed a request to do so)

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:32 am

eworms wrote:Torn knee cartilage from too much dancing - stupid me - two months ago had knee surgery for the same - never will learn
That was me in 2008!
good times!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Cooky wrote:
BTW, there's a reason folks yell and listen for "Fire In the Hole" around the car-b-que. Gigs plays hard but they also attempt to alert those around them when they toss stuff in to the 'cue. If you hear it, take it seriously.
Cooky, we need some fun like that at LoF! Maybe place some in the Effigy next year?

One of our own Chicago RCs got the IV treatment. After 10+ years on the playa too!

:woof:
Read my posts with a grain of salt.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:11 pm

I spent my first 2 days sick with a sinus headache because of the smoke i drove through to get to BM (thanks cali fires).

Injuries AT BM.....nope.....almost bit it in a port o potty thamks to a flame throwing penis mutant car.

Nice car one eye :)
I have post playa depression :(

LadyLynx

Argument then BAM!

Post by LadyLynx » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 pm

I got in a huge fight with one of my campmates, and I was trying to argue while walking backwards at night. I went right over her bike and messed myself up pretty good. :p

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 pm

pandasex wrote:I spent my first 2 days sick with a sinus headache because of the smoke i drove through to get to BM (thanks cali fires).
This might be useful.

http://www.iscaliforniaonfire.com/

Return to “Stories”