MyOwnDamnFault (street signs)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 am

BitterDan wrote:
AntiM wrote:
Reread the damn post. I was bitching that they'd ripped up my lights. I know about the fucking orange poles, I know my way around the city, I don't need the fucking signs.

Booby trap my tent? Very nice, real nice. Like I said, read the damn post.
Lighten up Anti M. I wasn't even referring to you. I was talking about TomServo's suggestion to booby trap the signs. Maybe you need to reread the thread. Jeez
Sorry.

Twitch

Post by Twitch » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:46 am

I think my biggest annoyance was that many of the street signs went missing fairly early on this year.
Indeed Twitch is a real alias

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 am

I think that I noticed them missing starting on Friday. I am just glad that I know to find landmarks/lightmarks early in the week so i dont get lost. Honestly, you should know which street is yours from The Man.

And no worries Anti M, I would never booby trap you. :wink:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 am

BitterDan wrote:Honestly, you should know which street is yours from The Man.
Yeah, a real help on Sunday.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Weebdog
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Paper Cranes

Post by Weebdog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:34 am

As I read through the posts, I see the theme that "I" should know the city so that "you" can have a souvenir, or think it's funny to take a sign. It was said that "I" should know my way home by the time the Man burns. What if I'm not going home and looking for somewhere else. Orange posts are great, as long as somebody hasn't posted a sign over it, you approach from the right direction, nobody's bike is parked against it, its still there and black on orange is difficult to see when it's dark. As far as landmarks, by Sat people are leaving and removing landmarks and again if I haven't been there I don't know what they are. Point is there is a system in place for all of us to use and there are the few that find it is more important to have their swag/amusement at expence of the rest of the city's population and services. Oh yeah - it happens every year still doesn't make it right.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:43 am

So what are you going to do about it? Police the signs or just complain that "it's wrong" and "unburnerlike"? And for the record, I have never stolen a sign but I don't have a problem with people doing it.

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Chaos used to be a part of burningman. shouldn't it still be? I say yes yes yes. More chaos less structure!

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:37 pm

The only solution I can come up with is that the street signs would be reworked into some other, more elaborate type of art, e.g. metal sculptures that are anchored and otherwise too heavy and unwieldy to be easily removed. The street names could then be replaced each year, probably painted, or perhaps as individually bolted or welded letters (too time-consuming to steal each letter). Of course this would be a huge undertaking for some lucky, prolific metalworkers, as I see over a hundred intersections at a glance. They sure could be more interesting works of art than cheap wooden signs, though.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm

curiousgnate wrote:Chaos used to be a part of burningman. shouldn't it still be? I say yes yes yes. More chaos less structure!
True enough.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm

curiousgnate wrote:Chaos used to be a part of burningman. shouldn't it still be? I say yes yes yes. More chaos less structure!
Well Chaos was part of burning until someone stole the signs. :twisted:

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Make your own landmark? A high flying lit flag? Or perhaps with next year's theme being "Metropolis" it's time for your mini theme camp metro area to expand upward so it's more pronounced and visible? Or maybe you study the landmarks that you know are not going to move...before going out to the man burn...you take a few seconds and pay attention to the big huge star that adorned the 3:00 plaza entrance or you knew where the Hot Topic Dome was and used that as a landmark....my point is a little bit of observation can prevent this from happening. When I take new people to the event I tell them that on burn night, the street signs are as good as gone. Use landmarks like the portapotties....are you close to the first or second bank of potties? Did you spot the big yellow older style bus? What about the huge dome that's visible even if it's not lit or playing their usual techno mix? You know the lamplighters have lights up on the esplanade and in a cross pattern...when you come off the deep playa can you angle left or right and get close to your street to take you back into the city?

Bottom line: a few seconds of prep work or observation can make a huge difference.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Hand written with a marker street signs on a cardboard - no one will take them.
I've seen a few of these this year.

And BTW, street sings are not only for finding a way home but for:
"Help! Help! my friend having a stroke"
"Where are you?"
"In the tent between rv and a dome" :roll:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:46 pm

I can safely say from experience, don't attach your personal landmark to a street sign post.

I'm all for making funny replacement signs. So, what to so with the ones taken into protective custody?

... and I'm still liking the skunk oil thing.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Something for sign thieves to take home.
Or take to heart anyway.

Best tourist sign ever!

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 pm

AntiM wrote:I can safely say from experience, don't attach your personal landmark to a street sign post.

I'm all for making funny replacement signs. So, what to so with the ones taken into protective custody?

... and I'm still liking the skunk oil thing.
It occurs to me that a tiny amount of some things would attract the attention of drug dogs to those signs.

Return to “Stories”