Slide of death = burns!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:40 am

Burning Man should shut down things that are dangerous to innocent bystanders who didn't choose to participate in whatever specific activity/proximity that causes injury. People aren't allowed to drive 50MPH through camping areas, or build fire cannons on mutant vehicles without proper hardware that passes inspection.

That slide didn't hurt anyone that didn't look at it and decide they were crazy enough to go down it!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: Slide of death = burns!

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:44 am

mdmf007 wrote:So - the slide out on the deep playa kicked much ass. But, ass cheeks and astro turf at 20MPH equals nasty rug burns.

While working ESD for 4 evenings, i had opportunity to clean and dress dozens of wounds. Some required stitches, and lots of care. Please post some post playa pics if your lucky enough to have been marked this year!

later
One of my poor campmates spent an afternoon with y'all, the backs of her thighs and lower back area were a mess. I felt so sorry for her - we all did, of course, poor thing.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:19 am

What about those teeter-totters? They're an accident waiting to happen!

If we can save ONE BURNER from a scratched hand, then the sacrifices that we make will be worth it.

Haha, just kidding, Burning Man will be shit without danger.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:35 am

Oh, I dearly wanted to ride the teeter-totter!!

I don't wait in lines, though.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Don't you have an elementary school near you????

;)

mattconlon

How I learned to stop worrying and love the wedge

Post by mattconlon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Thought I would share my story here. The wedge played an integral part. It was one of my favorite things to hit burning man in a long time. Im posting here at the demand of a friend. And of course, for posterity. Also in the likely vain hopes that someone out there has a pic.

I've got a ton of stories, but my favorite is this one

So, there's this bomb that has a long tradition in seattle. Arts groups have stolen the bomb from each other for well over a decade. Its been in the hands of INB, Stronghold, Arson Island/Machine camp and several others dating back over a decade. The bomb is about 7-feet long, and weighs about 200 lbs. Its an old vietnam test bomb as far as we can tell, decomissioned of course.

Back in 2007, we brought the bomb and camped next to a group out of Eugene called Carbofuckingnation. As should be expected from our camp, there was a bit of pranking that ocurred, including slingshotting snack packs of pudding into their camp. At the end of the week, we realized that we were short one bomb.

Before TEITD this year, several members of our camp spent some time trying to figure out where the bomb ended up, to absolutely no avail. Most people thought Amani knew, and she was bombarded (heh) with inquiries.

When we got to Burning Man this year, our camp members were reading through the what/where/when (something that usually does not happen until the end of the event, mind you) and found this post:
http://earth. burningman. com/brc/2009/ playa_event/ 742/

"We took your bomb as our trophy in '07, come claim it! We want: Proof, Liquor, Sexual Favors, and something... fantastic. We're in the same spot we were in '07."

It was clear at that moment what must be done.

We rolled in later that night with the treehugger/spinal tap bus (ugliest "art car" ever) and the Birthday Cake filled to the brim with candy ravers. We sent in the ravers with the instructions that this was our camp, the drinks were free and plentiful, and that the more surly people were the more free drinks they would get.

While the ravers were creating the distraction me and chris airola removed the bomb and ran it back to the treehugger bus and we began our escape. Running with the bomb is hard, and I fell. Lots.

Did I mention I was wearing a leather full-body captain america jumpsuit? I was wearing a leather full-body captain america jumpsuit.

As we were making our escape, their camp members reached into the hole left by the bomb and grabbed snack packs of pudding (genius) and began pelting us with them as we drove away. "DON'T FORGET YOUR PUDDING!"

We had planned to rendezvous with the cake at the wedge (for those that didn't go, the wedge was a giant 2-story astroturf slip n slide that was responsible for more injuries than anything else at burning man this year:
http://www.flickr. com/photos/ shaynakatherine/ 3912014824/ )

I knew what must be done.

I got a crew of 6 or so people to haul the bomb to the top of the wedge, and some rope to rig a bit of a handle onto the front. I had already been advised by several of my attorneys that what I was about to do was a BAD idea. I agreed and ignored their advice.

Did I mention I was wearing a leather full-body captain america jumpsuit? I was wearing a leather full-body captain america jumpsuit.

I straddled the bomb, grabbed my ghetto rope handle. A very large clearance in the crowd was made and a wall of somewhat cushiony things was made at the bottom. I got a big push.

I made it about 1/2 way down before the bomb tipped me over, i bear-hugged it the rest of the way down, crashed through the wall and went about another 15 or so feet beyond that. It was a good thing I was wearing full leather, cuz the rugburn would have been terrible. I escaped unscathed and with no collateral damage amongst the onlookers.

The bomb is once again back home and I had one of my favorite nights ever at burning man. I hope, oh how I hope, just one person got a picture.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:44 pm

I don't have any of the pix you're looking for..but that was IMHO the single best on playa story I've EVER HEARD of...and I've heard a LOT!

THANK YOU for sharing that...it literally stopped the house and had everyone smiling from ear to ear over here.

I hope someone was able to take some pix and will share them here...I'll do my part to spread the word. Hopefully we'll all get lucky and see them!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Maybe Burning Man is not the event for you. Try Disneyland next year.
Disneyland?! Are you sure?
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 pm

EB wrote:
Maybe Burning Man is not the event for you. Try Disneyland next year.
Disneyland?! Are you sure?
Uhh.....EWWWW! I've never been to a Disney park...and this just adds to the long list of reasons why I have no desire to go anytime soon.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Let's see if I can hot link this real quick...

No, won't hot link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slim- ... -lores.jpg

But works as a link.
:D

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:29 pm

This is representative of the worst ones I saw - (not an actual BM pic)

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Ah, but was it consensual?

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 am

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 am

We hit the slide at least a dozen times. Our camp was a short walk to get there. And our art car stopped there frequently. No injuries at all.
-AJ )'(

lonestoner916

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love the wedge

Post by lonestoner916 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:26 pm

mattconlon wrote:Thought I would share my story here. The wedge played an integral part. It was one of my favorite things to hit burning man in a long time. Im posting here at the demand of a friend. And of course, for posterity. Also in the likely vain hopes that someone out there has a pic.

So, there's this bomb that has a long tradition in seattle. Arts groups have stolen the bomb from each other for well over a decade. Its been in the hands of INB, Stronghold, Arson Island/Machine camp and several others dating back over a decade. The bomb is about 7-feet long, and weighs about 200 lbs. Its an old vietnam test bomb as far as we can tell, decomissioned of course.

Back in 2007, we brought the bomb and camped next to a group out of Eugene called Carbofuckingnation. As should be expected from our camp, there was a bit of pranking that ocurred, including slingshotting snack packs of pudding into their camp. At the end of the week, we realized that we were short one bomb.

Before TEITD this year, several members of our camp spent some time trying to figure out where the bomb ended up, to absolutely no avail. Most people thought Amani knew, and she was bombarded (heh) with inquiries.

When we got to Burning Man this year, our camp members were reading through the what/where/when (something that usually does not happen until the end of the event, mind you) and found this post:

"We took your bomb as our trophy in '07, come claim it! We want: Proof, Liquor, Sexual Favors, and something... fantastic. We're in the same spot we were in '07."

We rolled in later that night with the treehugger/spinal tap bus (ugliest "art car" ever) and the Birthday Cake filled to the brim with candy ravers. We sent in the ravers with the instructions that this was our camp, the drinks were free and plentiful, and that the more surly people were the more free drinks they would get.

While the ravers were creating the distraction me and chris airola removed the bomb and ran it back to the treehugger bus and we began our escape. Running with the bomb is hard, and I fell. Lots.

As we were making our escape, their camp members reached into the hole left by the bomb and grabbed snack packs of pudding (genius) and began pelting us with them as we drove away. "DON'T FORGET YOUR PUDDING!"

We had planned to rendezvous with the cake at the wedge (for those that didn't go, the wedge was a giant 2-story astroturf slip n slide that was responsible for more injuries than anything else at burning man this year:

I got a crew of 6 or so people to haul the bomb to the top of the wedge, and some rope to rig a bit of a handle onto the front. I had already been advised by several of my attorneys that what I was about to do was a BAD idea. I agreed and ignored their advice.

I straddled the bomb, grabbed my ghetto rope handle. A very large clearance in the crowd was made and a wall of somewhat cushiony things was made at the bottom. I got a big push.

I made it about 1/2 way down before the bomb tipped me over, i bear-hugged it the rest of the way down, crashed through the wall and went about another 15 or so feet beyond that. It was a good thing I was wearing full leather, cuz the rugburn would have been terrible. I escaped unscathed and with no collateral damage amongst the onlookers.

The bomb is once again back home and I had one of my favorite nights ever at burning man. I hope, oh how I hope, just one person got a picture.
BEST SHIT EVER!!!!!
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:31 pm

lonestoner916 wrote:
mattconlon wrote:Thought I would share my story here. The wedge played an integral part. It was one of my favorite things to hit burning man in a long time. Im posting here at the demand of a friend. And of course, for posterity. Also in the likely vain hopes that someone out there has a pic.

BEST SHIT EVER!!!!!

Your back!!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Top yarn!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

I think I saw a sign that said, do not ride this slide unless you are wearing a full body leather captain america jumpsuit. Great tale, perfect outfit, and vehicle, for that venue. Wish I'd a seen it.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 pm

mattconlon wrote:Thought I would share my story here.
OH MY GOD!!!!

Thank you for sharing that story! I laughed my ass off and the visuals I made up to accompany it were fantastic! :lol:

Please tell me the ravers were slightly demonic looking midgets and the camp was full of black lights that lit up their face paint, tutu's and shoes. :lol:
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:03 pm

OMG! That story was frickin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

falk
Burning Since: 2004

Post by falk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Living in Colorado I see sudden and large decreases in altitude almost on a daily basis....
Yeah, and I bet you hardly ever jump off the edge, either.

See? What a great warning sign.

Craftsmn

Post by Craftsmn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Perhaps next year you should book a Disneyland vacation where everything is safe and sanitized for your protection.
Disneyland Deaths = 9

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp

Maybe not so safe...................

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 am

Craftsmn wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Perhaps next year you should book a Disneyland vacation where everything is safe and sanitized for your protection.
Disneyland Deaths = 9

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp

Maybe not so safe...................
yeah, 9 deaths, mostly due to guest actions........pretty dangerous place alright.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mars

Post by mars » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:46 am

ygmir wrote:
Craftsmn wrote:
Kinetic V wrote: mostly due to guest actions.
Probably Burners who couldn't contain themselves any longer.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Return to “Stories”