Hot Topic at Thunderdome? Sugary buds?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
carnivillain

Re: Hot Topic

Post by carnivillain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:22 pm

brcprincess wrote:
spectabillis wrote:
evil carnival worker wrote: -- from building the Man to setting up the city to huge art projects to writing for the Burning Man blog -- than I'm guessing you have.
You seem to think that your many "contributions" entitle you to ignore the Principles.

They don't.
You seem to think that your radical self-entitlement allows you to be the judge of peoples' motivations in their actions and be daft and ignore the humor that everyone else sees.

Have at it, sweetie: it takes all kinds.

PS: in case you can't read, I make no mention of any contribution of mine. I was just trying to explain things to you so that your panties wouldn't be all in a twist; it must be kind of uncomfortable, always having them like that.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Funniest renaming of a playa institution from one commercially copyrighted name to another commercially copyrighted name ever!

Would this be an inappropriate time to try to sell a 'No Commerce Zone' t-shirt?

DGMedic

DGTD

Post by DGMedic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:28 pm

sorry to those who saw the banner as *commercializing* we as deathguild liked the banner because people would walk up to us and tell us how funny it was. We liked it because it gave us something to mock... if you would have been at our fights you would have seen how we worked it into our opening speech.... but if you feel that we have commercialized... then your sadly mistaken... but who am i to tell you what to believe...

thanks to everyone who understands the prank.

DGMedic

Post by DGMedic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 pm

brcprincess wrote:
It doesn't matter if everyone if your camp thought hanging the Hot Topic banner was the most ironic, hilarious, clever, irreverant act ever.

It still violated one of Burning Man's principles. If you want to be part of our community, please respect them.
and btw we didn't hang it if you read any of the older posts but I am guessing in your self righteous attitude that you wouldn't care either way. Thunderdome was one of the most talked about things on playa what with our great opening acts, our great fights, the music, our "field trips" around playa, not to mention our guest appearance at kidsville...

carnivillain

Post by carnivillain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:10 pm

You are the one coming off as self righteous blowing your horn about your many "contributions".
In case it wasn't clear: I was not one of the pranksters, and thus the "contributions" (ooh! burn! you put it in quotes) I mentioned were not mine. So I claim no entitlement to them or by them.

One last time: People who've spent a dozen years and tens of thousands of dollars contributing to Burning Man -- and adhering to these principles you harp on about -- are rather unlikely to actually endorse any form of corporate sponsorship. Thus, one should endeavor to view things the way they intended: as humor, and, you know, funny. A joke. Don't take it so seriously.

All I did here was take a picture.

I'll end this with a message from my sponsors*:

*I don't actually work for the BRC Post Office (see because, you know, then I'd be claiming I was "supposedly" "contributing")

cheerio princess :*

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:37 pm

carnivillain wrote:... the motivations for their actions should be viewed from the standpoint that they have heavily contributed and are some of the foundations -of- the community.
yeah, i get that, those people usually have a solid understanding what its all about. its just in my experience there are so many types of people with so many different variations of what they contribute to a community. i always avoided volunteering for the org (except eplyaya) because my actions were to empower individuals, not official groups. so my contributions date back to the first years and dont compare to simply enrolling in a collective group with greater resources. my reply wasnt an attack, and i dont expect a need for you to defend that.
I mostly took umbrage at the statement "if you want to be part of our community" that BRCPrincess made. Please pardon any rudeness on my part, but statements like that make me gag -- especially knowing who was responsible and why they did it (short answer: hilarity).
funny thing, but i debated in my mind of even bother to reply because i thought littlemissprincessprincipals would it against you. guess what? she did. strange how its gotten to the point where i can pick up on that sort of stuff... been in this way too long.

so jesus christ brcprincess, i understand where you are comming from and totally respect your drive and passion for a belief that has been a constant fight. but i really think you are taking this one a bit too seriously, it was supposed to be a harmless prank, and those have also been a long and cherished tradition with bman dating back to cacaphony roots. might want to try a different fight - like the ones i suggested you take up with the org.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey - lets not do the sense of entitlement talking here about who does what and deserves todo whatever whenever because. It was a prank - plain and simple.

A cool one at that that Deathguild and anyone who knows the history thought was funny, thats why it was left in place.

What about all of the pilfered and surplus commercial signs all over - I dont see a whole lot of complaining about McDonalds signs in the ground, does that mean Mickey D's endorses Bm, that Bm sold out? No - it does not.

so take it at face value - a prank that not everyone gets.

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 pm

You can dress it up however you like, but:

1. You hung a commercial advertising banner on the Playa
2. A member of your camp works for the company whose banner was hung

You can accuse me of adopting a holier than thou attitude and I accept there is some truth in that. I apologize if I came across heavy handed.

I was hoping you could look at the situation from the perspective of those who were not part of your "in joke" and who feel it was a violation of the Decommodification principle. But I guess not.

But instead it's descended into personal attacks, so I'll sign off on this topic now.

DGMedic

Post by DGMedic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 pm

[quote="brcprincess"]You can dress it up however you like, but:

1. You hung a commercial advertising banner on the Playa
2. A member of your camp works for the company whose banner was hung [/quote]

1. We did not hang any banner... that was made clear earlier...
2. yes a member of our guild works for hot topic... that was one of the things that made this prank funny... there is no "in joke" we got pranked by another camp which means it was not our joke.... so please stop trying to prove a losing battle... if you feel that firmly against it then just dont go... its as simple as that.
Two men enter, One man leaves...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Bob wrote:Yes, Virginia, there is a bbcode option for 'strikethrough'.
:) I was just looking for how to do that the other day.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:48 pm

ygmir wrote:
Bob wrote:Well, if b.../b adds bolding, take a wild guess.
nothin' better than a smart ass, cryptic couch.......hahahaha

I'll start guessing and trying it
All you would have needed to do was just quote the post--you can see all the code. ;)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 am

Hey Carnivillan. I enjoyed your photos very much. I saw them before your post here. Were you mentioned in a Jackrabbit?? anyhow, keep up the good work ! :)
don't forget to floss

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:08 am

brcprincess wrote:I was hoping you could look at the situation from the perspective of those who were not part of your "in joke" and who feel it was a violation of the Decommodification principle. But I guess not.
DGMedic wrote: so please stop trying to prove a losing battle... if you feel that firmly against it then just dont go... its as simple as that.
the problem is both sides are right over this, so its devolved into a "more right than you" argument. so people might want to consider the following...

.. burningman is mostly an emergent collective behaviour thing - there is a general lack of clear social boundaries, membership is openly voluntary, and the behaviour generates weak and unconventional approach to norms. this is really important in fostering and sustaining a uniquely creative environment that has to break most social norms. that doesnt mean norms dont exist or are bad, it means that they are seldom fixed, and that has its good and bad parts to it.

so to outside readers who can put aside the issue, what is still clear is the personal investments of the people involved, that is a very good thing. brcprincess: you may not think your points and opinions havent been considered, but they have. if they were not there wouldnt be the amount of critical feedback you have recieved, that just means the people responding dont agree with you.

but i appreciate your making the case because in the greater world people really wouldnt give a fuck. we are all so collectively placed in powerless situations that for many, burningman has become a place where people can feel like thier contributions matter, because they usually do - or at least a hell of a lot more than in the fucked up world we are all cast into sink-or-swim. people are not always going to agree, but its the passion in being motivated enough to openly fight for your beliefs that matter here.

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 am

The Hot Topic sign was more a mockery than ad advertisement. Its purpose was not to gain more customers, and its appearance on playa probably didnt expand the customer base.

Furthermore, it was taken down to reveal the "real" thunderdome in all its g[L]ory.

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:58 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
What other people think about you is none of your business.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Don't knock Hot Topic.
Without them, teenagers would all be naked.

Return to “Stories”