Seeking Darwin quote from BM 2009

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
nmatzke

Seeking Darwin quote from BM 2009

Post by nmatzke » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi all,

A friend of mine at BM told me that they saw this quote on one of the signs along the highway that you see as you drive in.

The quote was something like this:

[quote]"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."[/quote]

...it is usually attributed to Charles Darwin, although its true origin is even more evolutionary, see:
http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2009/09 ... the-1.html

I am a grad student in evolutionary biology at Berkeley, and I am actually collecting examples of this quote being used, for a study of its "evolution".

Does anyone (a) remember seeing the quote (so I have independent confirmation that it existed?), (b) know anyone who might have a picture or video, or (c) perhaps know the people who made the signs and how I might contact them?

I'll follow the thread, or email me at: matzke@berkeley.edu

Cheers!
Nick

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:53 am

I can confirm that it indeed was posted, it was one of a few that made me think out loud about the meaning as i drove to my camp site.

It was my first year, do they all ways post signs like this on the drive in?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 am

Always signs of some type.

Don't espect to see the "Let's burn the man early" one again for awhile though.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:56 pm

gyre wrote:Always signs of some type.

Don't espect to see the "Let's burn the man early" one again for awhile though.

Last years sign's were better..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “Stories”