Pre-Burn Nightmares?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
alt12
Burning Since: 2003

Pre-Burn Nightmares?

Postby alt12 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:06 am

Just about every year around this time, I experience what I would call at least one burningman nightmare. They usually revolve around the same theme: I go to burningman but the location has been changed to something totally unsuitable and the experience sucks and I'm frustrated and/or dissapointed....

Sometimes its on a beach....or a grassy meadow....last night I dreamt that I got to burning man but it was at some kind of coliseum or complex on a beach.... I tried to secure space for my camp arriving later but I couldn't find anyone... Everything felt weird and foreign....It was jammed with people, extremely crowded, and there was nowhere to spreadout, no open sapce...Everyone was squeezed into little alleyways and camps were literally on top of each other...Eventually I realized it was a dream and I woke-up....

Anyone else get burning man nightmares before the event? I know, expectations are high and unconscious anxieties related to all the preparations build-up but I'm curious about others' experiences...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm

If you take Ambien, you might want to make certain you aren't actually attending Regional Burns in your sleep. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I think these sorts of anxiety dreams are pretty normal. My anxiety dreams are less interesting than yours. Either they involve my teeth (*shiver*) or me finding out I didn't really graduate from college or high school because my library fines were too big.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Nightmares only matter if they come true.

MissNev

Postby MissNev » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Every year I have similar burning man dreams/nightmares! They involve being in very odd places (one year it was near the Tracy Power Plant by Fernley) and I can never find my camp. Usually I've forgotten something crucial...like water, my tent, food, warm clothing, etc. I actually look forward to these dreams/nightmares because it means I have Burning Man on the brain!
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End

flatlander13

Postby flatlander13 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:33 pm

In 2006 I had a pre-burn nightmare where……….Burning Man had been sold to the Mormon church who in turn moved it to the Great Salt Lake. The camp area was completely paved. The whitest white man in the world was taking tickets saying, “Welcome to; The; Burning Man.â€

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:40 pm

I once dreamed that it was filled with water like Tahoe.

googbox

Postby googbox » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I had a very vivid dream last night. Nightmare? Maybe.
First off we found a spot at 9 and C under a freeway overpass and were excited for the sturdy built in shade but I kept wondering where the hell the overpass came from and I thought it was kind of ugly. Then we were setting up our camp and arranging everything just so, when an authority figure came over and told us that our camp could only be 12 feet deep. If we wanted it to be bigger, we'd have to move away from the overpass. My campmates and I were arguing on whether to stay where we were and cramp up 8 people in 12 feet of space, or move away from the overpass.
Then, I remembered that I had forgotten to give my friend her ticket and she was joining us later in the week. I found another "friend" (acquaintenance from a job many years ago and NOT a burner) who had a helicopter and offered to fly me to Reno to give my friend her ticket.
When I came back, the entire city was enclosed like in a huge ampitheater and all the art was outside the ampitheater. And my mom was there.

Yeah, I guess it was a nightmare.

I have lots of playa dreams throughout the year. One of my favorite ones was my friend had literally had her house moved out onto the playa w/o any furniture in it. In my dream I was thinking "this is brilliant, why don't more people do this?"

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

my nightmare the other night was that my mom and i were at burningman before the gates opened. There was an old elementary school building with all the windows busted out. There were also beautiful desert pools with waterfalls, the water was clear and cool. I kept telling my mom that as soon as bm started we would not be allowed access to the water...i think i wanted her to leave before it started.

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:45 pm

I showed up at BM and forgot to wear my pants....luckily no one cared.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:50 pm

...Well until the pants cannon guys caught you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Last time I had one of these I had hauled everything I needed out there but when I started unpacking it I realized that I forgot all the booze,my bike, all of my cool outfits and hadn't brought any food with me.

Shortly there after I awoke, thank goodness. How could I have been so ready yet so unprepared?... :oops:

chris2010
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Pre-Burn Nightmares?

Postby chris2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:27 pm

alt12 wrote:Just about every year around this time, I experience what I would call at least one burningman nightmare. They usually revolve around the same theme: I go to burningman but the location has been changed to something totally unsuitable and the experience sucks and I'm frustrated and/or dissapointed....

Sometimes its on a beach....or a grassy meadow....last night I dreamt that I got to burning man but it was at some kind of coliseum or complex on a beach.... I tried to secure space for my camp arriving later but I couldn't find anyone... Everything felt weird and foreign....It was jammed with people, extremely crowded, and there was nowhere to spreadout, no open sapce...Everyone was squeezed into little alleyways and camps were literally on top of each other...Eventually I realized it was a dream and I woke-up....

Anyone else get burning man nightmares before the event? I know, expectations are high and unconscious anxieties related to all the preparations build-up but I'm curious about others' experiences...

I have had a few... one about me leaving my ticket at home... and another me getting there and there were no people there...
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a dream where they are the only one not naked at Burning Man.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

FaeTora

Postby FaeTora » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Savannah wrote:If you take Ambien, you might want to make certain you aren't actually attending Regional Burns in your sleep. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I think these sorts of anxiety dreams are pretty normal. My anxiety dreams are less interesting than yours. Either they involve my teeth (*shiver*) or me finding out I didn't really graduate from college or high school because my library fines were too big.

I know I am coming into this late and have not been to BM but please don't gift anxious dreams, just dusty ones. :P

I too have the dreams where somehow I didn't graduate. Even years after high school and college I still have one every once and a while. A dream evaluation might be a subconscious fear of failure or the unknown (as you believed you did graduate) or underlying feelings of failure to thrive in the ways in which you orginally intended. Of course others would argue that it is merely entertainment for your brain while you sleep and the dreams help facilitate rapid eye movement which (supposedly) helps to keep your eyes lubricated and while still exposing it to needed oxygen.

Damn degree sneaks out. ::shoves it back into pocket::
We break to remind us how to mend.

bud buddah

Postby bud buddah » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't have the dreams, but find myself waking up in the middle of the night worrying about all the things I have to get ready. This is my first year and I still have a load of things to get together. But one way or another, it will all come together. Can't wait till all the prep is over and I'm out at night riding around the far reaches of the playa on my bike.
Bud

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Re: Pre-Burn Nightmares?

Postby Boijoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:52 pm

alt12 wrote:Just about every year around this time, I experience what I would call at least one burningman nightmare. They usually revolve around the same theme: I go to burningman but the location has been changed to something totally unsuitable and the experience sucks and I'm frustrated and/or dissapointed....

OMGosh! I have approx. the SAME dreams. Last one was in a big field & our theme camp spot was only about 10 x 10' so, I decided to camp elsewhere & the spaces in open camping were about the size of a twin bed and ALL TAKEN. :: shivver::: no room for me at Burning Man.!!
<<<sob>>>>
don't forget to floss

VeganChoirGirl

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 pm

TOTALLY! I always have dreams that I forgot my ticket, which I don't realize until I arrive. I drive home and back and give my ticket. But when I enter the event it's all wonky. The same texture as the play, but weird hills and carved out areas. There are cabins and tents and campers and houses and things that really don't belong there. I spend the rest of my dream looking for my camp, but they aren't where they usually are and I keep missing them, as, for some reason, they keep relocating.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Boijoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:59 pm

bud buddah wrote:I don't have the dreams, but find myself waking up in the middle of the night worrying about all the things I have to get ready. This is my first year and I still have a load of things to get together. But one way or another, it will all come together. Can't wait till all the prep is over and I'm out at night riding around the far reaches of the playa on my bike.
Bud

Bud. It helps to sleep with a pen & note pad beside your bed. That way when you think of something to pack in the middle of the night you can write it down and go back to sleep. Helps with work stuff too.
don't forget to floss

geospyder

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Boijoy wrote:It helps to sleep with a pen & note pad beside your bed. That way when you think of something to pack in the middle of the night you can write it down and go back to sleep. Helps with work stuff too.

I actually do that. Sometimes it is really interesting in the morning trying to figure out what I wrote during the night.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

whaleboy

Postby whaleboy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 pm

3 AM wakeup. the idea for how to solve the water problem. the how to make this whatnot better. The idea for how to anser this or that camp members' concern. The curse of being the hyperactive camp producer. There's not even the dreams. Just the anxiety. Getting it all ready.

This shit's almost too much. If it wasn't where I really belong...
My God, it's full of Stars!

Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:53 am

I had a dream where i was on the playa and wondered into a bear cave....not the Hairy dudes.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:14 am

I once dreamt that BM was held in the parking lot of a strip mall. And once, at some sort of quarry. Turns out, that "quarry" is located a few miles west of the playa.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

googbox

Postby googbox » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 am

My 7 year old daughter (who hasn't been to BM) told me the other morning that she dreamt we were having Burning Man in our house. Hmm... maybe it's the mess of costumes in half-finished state taking over one half of the dining/family room or the stock of non-perishable food, drinks and water taking up the other half?

I had a dream the other night that I had this huge, uncomfortable growth on my arm and I kept thinking, damn, I have to get this fixed, but surgery 3 weeks before doesn't sound like a good idea, but I can't go w/ this thing on my arm. AND I was late for a date with Robin Williams, and kept thinking I really don't want to go out with him, he's kinda old for me, but hey, he's funny and I bet he has some great stories... but how can I go on a date with Robin Williams w/ this horrendous growth on my arm?

I woke up at 3am in the same state of panic as if I was having a really scary nightmare. I looked at my arm (no growth), and watched some A&E til I could go back to sleep. Sigh.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 am

I know I am coming into this late and have not been to BM but please don't gift anxious dreams, just dusty ones.

I too have the dreams where somehow I didn't graduate. Even years after high school and college I still have one every once and a while. A dream evaluation might be a subconscious fear of failure or the unknown (as you believed you did graduate) or underlying feelings of failure to thrive in the ways in which you orginally intended.

Oh, yeah, it's very apparent to me that the "I didn't graduate" dream is a fear of failure . . . I'm an anxiety-prone person in general, & fear of failure causes me to take too few risks. Although my most spectacular recurring dreams remain the desolate apocalyptic ones where I-5 is packed with empty cars stretching as far as the eye can see, into downtown, I'm somehow pregnant, & following a man in a flapping black coat across the freeway viaduct on foot. I kept dreaming variations on that when I was soon to graduate college, because (as I realized after a few of them) my world, as I knew it, was genuinely coming to an end and I didn't know what was next.

Last night I finally had the first Burning Man dream in recent memory. I was traveling in a small sedan with the 2 girls I caravanned with last year (which has nothing to do with this year's actual plans). We seemed to have no supplies with us, really, which I was mildly concerned about--but not as concerned as I actually would be in real life--& halfway through the 17 hour drive I realize I've got no underwear with me (what can I say, I'm fond of underwear) and I've left my amazing playa boots at home.

Then I'm about to offer to take the wheel for a while and realize the terrain is completely unfamiliar, even though I've made the drive a number of times. I woke up mildly anxious, but more confused than anything (which is preferable). If they could remain at that level, I'll be grateful.

Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

googbox wrote:My 7 year old daughter (who hasn't been to BM) told me the other morning that she dreamt we were having Burning Man in our house. Hmm... maybe it's the mess of costumes in half-finished state taking over one half of the dining/family room or the stock of non-perishable food, drinks and water taking up the other half?

I had a dream the other night that I had this huge, uncomfortable growth on my arm and I kept thinking, damn, I have to get this fixed, but surgery 3 weeks before doesn't sound like a good idea, but I can't go w/ this thing on my arm. AND I was late for a date with Robin Williams, and kept thinking I really don't want to go out with him, he's kinda old for me, but hey, he's funny and I bet he has some great stories... but how can I go on a date with Robin Williams w/ this horrendous growth on my arm?

I woke up at 3am in the same state of panic as if I was having a really scary nightmare. I looked at my arm (no growth), and watched some A&E til I could go back to sleep. Sigh.

Would ya go out with the Caddy Man?

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:38 am

People kept telling me to try lucy dreaming.
For the longest time, I had no luck at all.

But finally, I had one the other night.
I was at desilu during the meeting to produce the star trek pilot.
There was a great deal of intricate detail.

I can't help wondering if any of it was accurate.

Timezone LaFontaine
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 am

gyre wrote:People kept telling me to try lucy dreaming.
For the longest time, I had no luck at all.

But finally, I had one the other night.
I was at desilu during the meeting to produce the star trek pilot.
There was a great deal of intricate detail.

I can't help wondering if any of it was accurate.

You should get someone to help interpret that dream. Maybe they can 'splain it to you.

gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Very good.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:25 pm

one beep yes
two beeps no

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Worth remembering that without Lucy and Desi, no Star Trek.

Return to “Stories”