observations from a virgin after a week on the playa.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

observations from a virgin after a week on the playa.

Post by robrob » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:53 pm

man. what a week.

i didn't take any photos at all, or get any email addresses of any playa pals, or really bring anything else back home. i wanted to simply live in the moment, though i'm pretty sure i'll carry a lot of these memories forever. While I knew my body and brain would be wrecked, i wasn't prepared for the emotional impact of getting yanked out of BRC and deposited back into the regular world. i've cried, and i'm not quite sure exactly why yet, but I have my hunches. I am looking forward to going home, but I'm glad I have a couple of days to think and reflect first.

here's some random initial thoughts:

first impression:
no amount of planning, reading or video watching will really get you ready for the assault on your senses. The ground is weird. The art is weird. The people are weird. And it's all very big, and very bright, and very in your face. There aren't training wheels either, you pretty get get thrown straight into the deep end of the pool. "Intense" is an understatement, but it's also magical, beautiful, and really fucking fun.

weather:
freaky storms on first day were a minor handful, but the payoff was an epic double rainbow (!!!) followed by seveal days of dust free gorgeous weather. When the dust did come later in the week, it was at night, which was so eerie it was kind of awesome. Honestly had there been zero dust at all I would have felt a little cheated. Or at least like a poseur with dust masks and goggles as a useless fashion accessory. When the dust did flare up, it usually wasn't for very long, and even the heat was not unbearable. For as many warnings as I heard about it being so harsh, the weather was awesome, IMO.

drugs:
despite BRC officials and public message boards downplaying it as "just an element, like in any other city of 50,000 people" pretty much every one I encountered at any point was pretty much fucked out of their mind at any given point in time. I didn't want to mess around with worrying about things there, so I took measures to get my own stash there, and quickly met trustworthy neighbors who liked to trade and share. My overall MO was to do the bar thing during the day, and take some sort of psychedelic at sunset, balanced out by constantly munching mdma in the early morning hours. It was an interesting week, and I couldn't imagine repeating it again...for another year or so :)

wednesday with the furries:
wednesday was easily my favorite day; my eveningwear all week was a head to toe bunny onesie; it matched my white glasses, and people appreciated the squeaky tail that i had lit up with flashing LEDs. ANyhow, I saw there was a party called Frolic, thrown by a bunch of furries in their blacklit fur dome. I ate a bunch of mushrooms and molly and split off from camp on my own (this would be a reoccurring theme). The crowd was a mix of full on furries, weird hybrid ravers with furry accents, and the fur curious. I had no idea that furries tripped their faces off (though maybe this might just be limited to burner furries). The dome was smaller but awesome (again, a reoccurring theme), and the party spilled out into the intersection. I puked in my nalgene, danced my ass off, and generally had an epic evening. A bunch of people took their picture with me, and a pair of 50 year old topless german women tried to take me to their trailer. They take a lot of shit, but I'm not ashamed to call myself a firend of the furs- those dudes fucking party properly.

large scale sound camps (aka root society):
there are a couple super lavish, big budget "sound camps", and in my opinion, they fucking suck ass. The owners whine online about how BRC doen't support them, and how they are a big draw that makes burning man what it is, and blah blah blah. From my perspective, all they bring is large format bullshit. The crowd is noticably different (in a bad way) and they behave poorly. they litter and fuck up the porta potties ( i stopped in one on a slow night and someone had taken a huge shit ON THE CLOSED LID of the john- without toilet paper too, which is just fucking gross). To top it off, cram 3 stages in one camp and you get a muddy mess. I'm glad this was Root Society 's last year at Burning Man, they can throw crystal method concerts elsewhere.

on the other hand, I had night after night of amazing times taking side streets and stumbling in to random parties. I went to avery small party with maybe 20 people, and it was badass. for the first time, I "got" dubstep (which kinda seemed like the unofficial soundtrack to the whole event this year). Instead of a bunch of dudes slowly flailing about, the crowd here (a mix i'd prolly describe as punk-hippy-shaman hybrids) pretty much commanded my attention with the dancing. It was aggressive and sexy and larger than life. It was soaring and stomping and fierce and seductive. pretty cool.

solo on the sidestreets, cont.
Imagine taking 10 tripping friends to a carnival and trying to keep them all together. Exploring solo was my nightly pastime, and it was pretty awesome. One night I found a camp, comfort and joy, that had a neon garden, and this really cool walkway filled with rubbery neon strings backlit by blacklight LEDS. people could enter from both directions, and it was just a really cool, simply little trippy place to check out. They had a few other interactive things, and then I noticed a big pile of bikes in front of a tent. I locked up my bike and a couple walked by and said "bunny" in a firendly voice. Cool, i wander whats inside. a circle of like 10 chicks with dudes between their legs going down on them. oops. it was awfully inviting for an orgy tent, and I promptly left the premises. Nobody said anything, but surprisingly, sex was not on my mind at all in general, which is kind of surprising considering it's such a highly charged atmosphere.

there were a bunch of small random intimate moments on these late night jaunts through the streets of the city. Someone would come up behind me and squeak my tail, and then giggle and rub their nose on my nose and skip away. Or you'd simply stop in the middle of intersection with someone, look into each others eyes and smile, hug, and move on without saying a word. I loved all of these little interactions, which seemed to happen on a pretty constant basis until The Weekend.

The Weekend
When the weekend came, things changed. First, visibly. You can tell the people that show up on friday and saturday because they walk around fucking dark at night. All those leds, el wire, and glow sticks you see EVERYONE wearing? It's for function as much as fashion. Even crust punks and old hippies don't want to get t-boned on a bike or run over by an art car. There are no lights on the streets or open playa, and lots of moving parts and shooting flames. Only a fucking idiot would walk around unilluminated, and these idiots show up by the busload the weekend of the burn.It's annoying.
But more than being annoying, it changes the overall vibe.

For example, on burn night, I noticed that the women now walked around with a purpose, like in any other city, not stopping to talk to strangers, let alone look into their eyes and see if they deserved a hug or not. Everything seemed a lot more open, friendly, and community like during the week. I thought the burning of the man itself was petty cool, but overall as far as the whole social experience goes, tuesday and wednesday were way more awesome than friday and saturday.

theres a whole whole lot i haven't touched on, and even more I haven't fully processed.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Re: observations from a virgin after a week on the playa.

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:01 pm

robrob wrote:man. what a week.

theres a whole whole lot i haven't touched on, and even more I haven't fully processed.
A(fucking)men, brother. Well said. All of it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:11 pm

you forgot thursday :wink: I like your post and agree with most of what you said especially regarding the large scale sound camps and the darkwad weekenders. i have pretty bad night vision and i was nervous about hitting someone on my bike. For the safety of all concerned i walked on the nights i was tripping...

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Great observations. The only thing I disagree with is the darkwad issue: We had Sat. early entry and stayed until Sat. afternoon, and I saw/dodged the same abundance of darkwads the entire week. A few times I had the patience to stop and hand out glow bracelets, explaining that glowy wasn't just for fashion. Mostly I muttered "darkwad" to no effect... wondering if this was a new trend or something I hadn't noticed as much during previous burns. :?:
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Great review!! I agree about the Darktardz....Have they replaced Shirtcockers?? WTF! Anyways I wasnt there this year (bumm'd) but I am anxious for reports so thanks for delivering. Although I appreciate Root Society, I am glad to hear there will be changes for next year. I embrace Change, maybe for Rites of Passage we'll see some new energies emerge (yeeeeaaaah lets hope :) and not have it all be so rave-centric. Although I have had fun in those domes, teh Burbs and the Art is where it's at and I personally do not get much out of raving in those camps. But to each their own. Glad you had a schweet first burn!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

I dunno. I think I prefer my shirt cockers to also be darkwads. Otherwise, I gotta wonder about things best not to think about.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Buckaroo_Benzai

Re: observations from a virgin after a week on the playa.

Post by Buckaroo_Benzai » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:58 pm

robrob wrote: i didn't take any photos at all, or get any email addresses of any playa pals, or really bring anything else back home. i wanted to simply live in the moment, though i'm pretty sure i'll carry a lot of these memories forever.
same here. i think i took about 10 pics total and got the email addresses of only 4 of the people i ran into. i was too busy taking it all in. can you really capture burning man in a photo anyway? i think not. it's kinda like trying to take photos of half dome and el cap... you just can't get it. i do wish i had gotten some more pics of myself with friends, though. i can't even remember what the pictures are since it's a disposable camera and i have to get it developed... it'll be a nice surprise to see what's on it.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 am

nice account robrob.
thanks
blow.

Optic

Post by Optic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 am

I was confused by all the signs in the porta potties about keeping moop out of them for the first few days. I was camped at 4:30 and H, and I didn't see anything wrong with them the entire week. But suddenly it all made sense when I used the ones outside of Opulent Temple. What the hell? Broken/missing toilet seats, trash everywhere, STYROFOAM cups in the tank... Real nice :x

I have to admit, on the drive there, I was pretty excited for the large sound stages, but robrob is right. They mostly suck. It wasn't like the small scale stuff, where you could tell everyone was having fun at Burning Man. More like... everyone was so high they couldn't even remember what they were doing. Everyone with a look on their face like "Oh, music.. Guess I'd better dance!"

My favorite parts were the camps that forced you to interact with other people in whatever situation they put you in. I honestly had more fun looking for the stuff I thought was going to be cool (and talking with the people I met on the way), rather than at the cool places themselves.

Anyway, my main piece of advice for any first timers: Parts of you will most likely hurt. A lot. And stop worrying about having a good time and just have a good time! :D

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 am

IMO this year rivals 2002, in coolness. I admit, I had to find a spot and cry, before I said my goodbyes.
I loved your story! And the funny thing, eplayas one of the only places that people would understand what you said.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am

The only place I ever got anything stolen at Burning Man was at Root Society during Bassnectar a couple years back. Someone ripped off my fuzzy pink scarf (one of a kind) right off my back!!

I only go there for a few moments of UNTZY thrills if I am with someone who I can key into. Other than that, I stay far away until there is a specific DJ like Random Rab playing that I just have to hear, which is rare.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I would love to read more from virgin burners as next year I will be a virgin burner and will also be posting my observations. I know everyone's experience will be different! so I hope new burners will come here a describe their experiences as robrob did.

btw robrob...again...well said. I hope my experience will be as cool as yours.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:07 pm

I took less pictures than I thought I would, but I did take quite a few.

I was very lucky to camp with a bunch of people that included experienced burners. We had a lot of lovely shade, and many of the people were talented musicians. We setup the instruments, and after the sun went down, on a few nights there was jamming. Random people would stop by with their instruments or pick up our neglected instruments and join in. Just about every single one of them were really talented, and my goodness...the music!

I was really glad for the RV. The one shower I took on Thursday was a lush indulgence, and whoo boy that bathroom came in handy for the ridiculous long line to get in that started in Gerlach! We also needed it on the way out when we were waiting 3 hours in line to get to the road. It was also really cold many of the nights, and instead of being ridiculously cold, I was snuggled up in a blanket and a bed, so I slept really really well at night.

I know we were spoiled by the weather. I'm glad we got some dust, however. On my first day, my husband and I went to go see the Man, and a few minutes after we got there we experienced our first white out. Wow. Trying to ride back on my bike through that was challenging.

We also got spoiled by the condition of the playa itself. There were some loose dunes to power through, but it was mostly really nice hard pack. My cruiser tires were nice n' wide, however, and all I had to do was pedal harder through the loose stuff and I was fine.

My favorite bits were stopping by random bars, having a couple of drinks, and talking to whoever was there. Drinks were definitely some of my favorite gifts, although one night at a bar a guy plopped down with a nifty metalworking kit and dogtags, and made dog tags for lots of people, including me. Very cool.

Some of the best gifts I think I gave - loaned out my bike pump to someone in need, helped fix someone's umbrella, gave a bottle of bubbles to a bartender who was named "bubblelicious," and the stuffed animals I had attached to my cruiser. And hugs. Lots of hugs. I think hugs on the playa are the best things ever.

I stayed away from drugs and only got tipsy but then would rehydrate. I really felt like I was in another world as it was, and didn't need enhancement.

So, yeah. Wow.
Popped the playa cherry!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 pm

baconqurlyq wrote: one night at a bar a guy plopped down with a nifty metalworking kit and dogtags, and made dog tags for lots of people, including me. Very cool.
I may know that guy? From Michigan?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 pm

I didn't catch where he was from. The kit was a little piece of heavy steel, a box of steel letters, and a little metal hammer. He would tap the letters into the dog tag one by one. I think his name was Jay.
Popped the playa cherry!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Okay, I think mine is called Steve. At least that's the second part of his second playa name.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:13 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I dunno. I think I prefer my shirt cockers to also be darkwads. Otherwise, I gotta wonder about things best not to think about.
We witnessed one event of shirt-cunting and insist this issue be dealt with immediately!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

peachandpapa
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Post by peachandpapa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Darkwads were in full abundance. As we traverse the playa in our art car, we throw blinkies to all darkwads and let it be known that they need to be seen. We easily threw over 200 blinkies to the darkwad nation. Come on people, I don't want your body to dent my art car!!!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...

Prospero's Ghost

Post by Prospero's Ghost » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Nice and objective observations.

Have to admit that this was a great burn for me.
Highs and Lows as always, but the highs definitely outweighed the lows.
Great Year and a great Burn.

LovePaint

Post by LovePaint » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:33 pm

This being my first burn, I agree with everything you said. Except for the part about the large sound camps because I liked them too.

On the other hand, you're totally right about how the vibe visibly changed once the weekenders arrived.

Kiro

Post by Kiro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 pm

We found that telling Darkwads "This could save your fucking life" while handing them glowing bracelets helped ram the message home.

Sinja

Post by Sinja » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 am

Great observations, thanks for sharing your perspective. It sounds like you had a great Burn overall. It's always good to change things up every year because each year will be different. Well done!

Golde

Post by Golde » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am

^^^ agreed

I too also notice the change in vibe starting fridays. Not to say i dont have awesome times during the weekend, but definitely the change is there, and the city gets a lot more crowded! For many reasons, BM during the week holds its magic....Ahhhh cant wait to go home next year :)

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

I didn't take nearly enough pictures, but I think the reason I took more than I would have been inclined to take was due to the WDYDWYD project. It's where people answer why they do what they do in their portrait. I participated as a photographer this year, and I'd like to share the results with all of you.

http://wdydwyd.ning.com/photo/photo/lis ... q3ifq0jpvz

The beauty of the people I photographed and the intense colors just get me.
Popped the playa cherry!

mattyho
Burning Since: 2009

Post by mattyho » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Have to agree with everything posted here pretty much. This being my first burn, no amount of online research and veteran burner questioning prepared me for the SCALE of BRC. Having been schooled in planning/design/landscape architecture I felt the city to truly be just that...a well planned city...roads were wide and easy to navigate...daily newspapers...mail delivery....! Bravo!!
As for pictures....I had an epic fail, but am somewhat glad for only taking 10 or so pics. My gf was pissed but I know what I saw and didn't miss anything while rumaging around for a camera! I told her if she wants to see what it's really like, she needs to make it happen next year!
So many favorite things seen and done...but one of the last I remember was getting in the car for Exodus Monday morning only to read, scrawled backwards into the dust on my windshield so I could read it inside the car, "I wish my wife was as dirty as your car"!
Thanks to all and see you next year...with some type of kinetic mobile...totally jazzed up and motivated!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:27 pm

baconqurlyq,

The wdydwyd was beautiful, funny and very moving to us. Thank you, thank you.

Plas

Post by Plas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I agree 1 billion percent with you robrob. This was my first year, and while I didn't go many of the same places you did, my general impressions about the burn are totally in line with yours.

Thanks for sharing!

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:37 pm

Baconqurlyq, you're account of the experience was fantastic! And I know no amount to others' personal experiences can't get you ready for whay you'll experience while there.

I am so ready to go next year, my first burn. And the new theme Rites of Passage will be perfect for me. I will be inducted and embraced into the Burning Man family.

I've had an epiphany since my friend came back from BM and after watching the live feed...I feel drawn to BRC and BM. There is this magnectic pull, if you will, that's is summoning me. I've never in my life have felt this way about anything. I want to be "baptized" there.

And to everyone else, thanks for your stories, short or long!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 am

my observations and views as a 2010 Birgin pretty much are about the same... darkwads suck (we bought all kinds of blinkies and elwire as well as regular bike lights front and back) and they were there all week... it was crazy, beautiful, awesome, everywhere... the rides out to the man were awe inspiring, especially the first one on Monday... as much as I was initally interested in the big sound camps and our 4 person group primarily stayed there, it bored me to be there night after night none-the-less that's where our group was focused... there are so many things I would have rather checked out if it had only been my husband and me... we did get to see some stuff but there's so much we missed... I can remember at least two evenings thinking why am I here at this stupid sound camp listening to music that really isn't moving me? in retrospect, I should have turned to my sweetie and said let's explore but for some reason didn't... we should have struck out more often and on our own... sigh... OH well 2012 will be our year! We will most likely have campers with us but in their own digs and witht he understanding... go do what you want... we will be. But first, Flipside and maybe Transforumus too! As much as I liked the big burn, regionals are so much more intimate and you don't have the intrusion of as much of the weekend warrior thing...
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:02 am

MistressSybs wrote: But first, Flipside and maybe Transforumus too! As much as I liked the big burn, regionals are so much more intimate and you don't have the intrusion of as much of the weekend warrior thing...
Come on to Tmus...I'll take real good care of you... :twisted:

Remember, though, that often regionals are JUST the weekend. So, we're all tourists/not tourists for those few days. Unlike BRC, where people are there for weeks and months, v. just the weekend.

Last year, I hated Burning Man and missed my regionals for that same reason (intimacy/the ability to develop relationships, rather than just passing by). This year, however, I really felt like I was at a regional. I was surrounded by wonderful people and truly felt at home (like I do at regionals). It was amazing.

Return to “Stories”