observations from a virgin after a week on the playa.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
MistressSybs wrote: But first, Flipside and maybe Transforumus too! As much as I liked the big burn, regionals are so much more intimate and you don't have the intrusion of as much of the weekend warrior thing...
Come on to Tmus...I'll take real good care of you... :twisted:

Remember, though, that often regionals are JUST the weekend. So, we're all tourists/not tourists for those few days. Unlike BRC, where people are there for weeks and months, v. just the weekend.

Last year, I hated Burning Man and missed my regionals for that same reason (intimacy/the ability to develop relationships, rather than just passing by). This year, however, I really felt like I was at a regional. I was surrounded by wonderful people and truly felt at home (like I do at regionals). It was amazing.
Noice! With an invite like that who could refuse? LOL

Oh I know... although this was my first burning man burn, I've been to a few regionals. Already planning camp and gifts... LOL
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.

peace

Post by peace » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Nice post bunny dude but I worry about what I didn't hear and that is how you are gonna get out (or further in) of your suit and become part of playa next time instead of observing it. In retrospect, the best experience I had my first time was helping a theme camp breakdown all day Monday. Sweat and tears are a path to enlightenment and will parlay the shrooms into a transformational week. Dig deep and find your gift next year!

BTW - a confession - I ended up a darktwad this year 'cause my heaping bag of electronics failed one by one after the brutal dust from the last couple of years and I was just too burnt getting my piece lit and camp set up to care. Sorry guys! Another lesson learned.

johndill

was my first year!!

Post by johndill » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:27 pm

my first year...had the time of my life !!!! here are some photos of the 9 days I was there..
http://johndillphotography.com/burningman2010/

will post some of my dj sets soon.

much love!

dill
Robot Heart

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:00 pm

peace wrote:become part of playa next time instead of observing it.
don't worry dude, i'm well on my way towards being the stereotypical overzealous and overenthusiastic second year burner!

short term, i've found the local gathering spot for chicago burners (freakeasy.net) , and hope to have piped pink el wire through all the accents on my bunny suit for their next shindig.

longer term, i've already bought a silly url for our planning wiki (whoompwhoomp.com). We're discussing the logistics of storing a container in gerlach (bar dome, personal yurts) and i found a fucking scissor lift for under $4k somewhat nearby (it can move at .6 mph while fully extended 36 feet high, with a passenger load of 6!!).

from a sheer logistical standpoint, me and one of our camp leaders were already figuring out how'd we handle things differently next year before we even left the circus circus parking lot in reno (dedicated quartermaster, infrastructure team, etc).

as far as playa "contributions" though, yeah, i guess i didn't contribute much other than a smile, an open mind, and a positive attitude. I did donate ice and mixers to bars I liked, and collected our unused food, tp, and rubbers for the DPW folks before we broke down camp. Sure, it would have been sweet to show up with a 200 foot tetris screen or something epic my first year, but hey- at least i didn't shit on the porta-pottie lids and I carried my own cup :x

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:10 pm

robrob wrote:
peace wrote:become part of playa next time instead of observing it.
don't worry dude, i'm well on my way towards being the stereotypical overzealous and overenthusiastic second year burner!

short term, i've found the local gathering spot for chicago burners (freakeasy.net) , and hope to have piped pink el wire through all the accents on my bunny suit for their next shindig.

longer term, i've already bought a silly url for our planning wiki (whoompwhoomp.com). We're discussing the logistics of storing a container in gerlach (bar dome, personal yurts) and i found a fucking scissor lift for under $4k somewhat nearby (it can move at .6 mph while fully extended 36 feet high, with a passenger load of 6!!).

from a sheer logistical standpoint, me and one of our camp leaders were already figuring out how'd we handle things differently next year before we even left the circus circus parking lot in reno (dedicated quartermaster, infrastructure team, etc).

as far as playa "contributions" though, yeah, i guess i didn't contribute much other than a smile, an open mind, and a positive attitude. I did donate ice and mixers to bars I liked, and collected our unused food, tp, and rubbers for the DPW folks before we broke down camp. Sure, it would have been sweet to show up with a 200 foot tetris screen or something epic my first year, but hey- at least i didn't shit on the porta-pottie lids and I carried my own cup :x
Good Job robrob!!!! Well done! Way to burn.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:36 pm

peace wrote:BTW - a confession - I ended up a darktwad this year 'cause my heaping bag of electronics failed one by one after the brutal dust from the last couple of years and I was just too burnt getting my piece lit and camp set up to care. Sorry guys! Another lesson learned.
And here's one more... the playa provides... =) you could have asked anyone who had an abundant amount, along with your tale of electronic woe and I'm positive you would have been helped. We all WANT you to glow like we do! LOL
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.

zcassidy

Post by zcassidy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Great account robrob. This was my second burn and I've noticed a trend... It only gets better. I enjoy photography outside of burning man but on the playa its to distracting. I did bring a voice recorder this year which worked out great for me. I was able to record the funny little things often forgot over night and keep peoples voices and thoughts accessible year round.
Be absurd with your goodness

peace

Post by peace » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Don't get me wrong bunnyman, it's not for us. Maybe your contribution is vomitting to Abba while on a pogostick...As long as you have found that gift from which shines your true self. That is the source of all that magic and manifest energy out there and you may likely have more fun than you everthought was possible. Enjoy...

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:00 am

Hey RobRob, I'd like to hear more about the drug usage you mention.
despite BRC officials and public message boards downplaying it as "just an element, like in any other city of 50,000 people" pretty much every one I encountered at any point was pretty much fucked out of their mind at any given point in time. I didn't want to mess around with worrying about things there, so I took measures to get my own stash there, and quickly met trustworthy neighbors who liked to trade and share. My overall MO was to do the bar thing during the day, and take some sort of psychedelic at sunset, balanced out by constantly munching mdma in the early morning hours. It was an interesting week, and I couldn't imagine repeating it again...for another year or so
So MDMA for breakfast.
Booze, likely vast amounts due to amphetamine in your system, for lunch.
Psychadelics, I assume acid, mushrooms and whatnot, for dinner.

When, what and how much food did you eat?

How much of this stuff did you take?

How much detail do you remember?

Did you have trip guides or was thus all low dosage stuff to keep you going?

Did you sleep?

I'm really curious cuz I never get to do anything like that. Its a bold way to go on the Playa.

robrob

Post by robrob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 am

Psychadelics, I assume acid, mushrooms and whatnot, for dinner.
we had a campmate who has collected a pretty decent assortment of research chemicals over the years. I think he got most of it from china before folks got hip to the deal. I think I recall him mentioning a live journal where he logged a lot of his experiences with them, i'll see if I can track it down for you.

I had the benefit of being a day behind the group- i started out with just MDMA monday night while they dove right into the weird chems with names like 2C-I. i had the good fortune to see that everyone else have a good time with things I hadn't heard of before getting to try it myself the next night. The exception was one that apparently cranked up everyone's sense of smell to an "intense" degree, kinda glad I had the canary out in front and got to skip that one.

When, what and how much food did you eat?
I would eat a fruitcup or two for breakfast, something small like chips and salsa for lunch, and either a cup of pasta or a half can of soup for dinner. Not a lot, but pretty regular small meals. Would like to upgrade this situation next year with the inclusion of meat and cheese.
How much of this stuff did you take?
progressively more and more throughout the week. at the beginning of the week, one roll would rock my world; by the end of the week, i could eat 3 servings of mushrooms and a couple tabs of e and still be coherent.

Even though I tried to space things out to avoid tolerance issues, i suppose you can't wring water out of a dry sponge, and my brain was tired of making whatever it was making that made drugs fun.
How much detail do you remember?
Everything. Or at least, as much detail as anyone can remember from an intense week in an intense place. (ie: i wasn't a blathering idiot in a puddle)
Did you have trip guides or was thus all low dosage stuff to keep you going?
I was with experienced folks. I went to a hippy college back in the day (antioch) so I've been around the block, but it was nice to get casual advice as I would plan my evening's adventures (more often than not, i would be encouraged to go bigger instead of pulled back, which makes sense considering the tolerance issues mentioned already)
Did you sleep?
About 3 hours a day. This was good until Burn day, at which point i slept under our shade structure all fucking day until the sun went down.

I'm really curious cuz I never get to do anything like that.
it seems like you've been around the block enough to know the drill (be discreet, do your business in a closed tent, don't share with strangers, etc). If you're curious you should just try it. You only go around once.
Its a bold way to go on the Playa.
yeah. at this point, i'd like to think i'd do things a little differently next year- physically it's pretty demanding to stay altered for such a long run. And while I had a lot of cool little interactions, I also know that if I am tripping or rolling pretty hard, I tend to be very quiet and lost in my own headspace. I do wonder how many more meaningful connections I could have had with others if I was more grounded (and chatty).

Of course, I say that now, but i'm sure when the stranger rolls up and says "lick your finger and stick it in the bag!" i'll be licking my finger and sticking it in the bag, lol.

robrob

Post by robrob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:11 am

Token: heard back from my friend. feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Unfortunately the content of the log contains some fairly personally identifiable information (it's not shared) but I wouldn't mind answering specific questions if they come up. The best strategy for the curious would be to procure a copy of PiHKAL and TiHKAL or at least leafing through the segments available online:

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_onl ... hkal.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/library/books_onl ... hkal.shtml

The print versions have great commentary and narratives that are not published online.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for sharing RobRob. I'm camping with you next year :)

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 pm

[quote="zcassidy"]Great account robrob. This was my second burn and I've noticed a trend... It only gets better. I enjoy photography outside of burning man but on the playa its to distracting. I did bring a voice recorder this year which worked out great for me. I was able to record the funny little things often forgot over night and keep peoples voices and thoughts accessible year round.[/quote]

I need to do this!! Next time for sure. What a great idea. Creative juices on overload and sometimes a pen breaks concentration!

I had a virgin burner just tell me something like, they had a decent time but the music sucked. I get this a lot from the festival music community I am a part of. I try to tell them, I go to Music festivals for the music, but I dont go to Burning Man for the music specifically! I told them to try to go for the overall sound Tapestry, not a specific artist. Things you will never hear elsewhere! Like Grateful Dead and Psytrance at the same time from 2 diff sources, a Grateful Psytrance mash up of randomness. Or sound effects by riding your bike thru the burbs.....People play weird stuff just so it sounds trippy riding by, I swear. funfunfunfun!!
Or if you really want to, scavenger hunt out the juicy bands and artists you know you'll like. You gotta make your own schedule, nobody is going to make one that is custom to your tastes. You must research and do it yourself, and know where to go. For example, this person probably missed the Marching Band Contest at center camp on Friday. I know I can get a break from electronic music if I follow March Fourth Marching Band around, or ALBINO! :)
Heck I dreamed of hearing certain songs on the playa after my first year.....I would bitch to my camp mates who were all vet burners. "Oh god the music at that big camp drove me nuts and assaulted my senses" They said back to me, "well then do something about it"
So I did, I DJed in 06 and then did a full on epic sunrise set out on the esplanade in 2009. I fulfilled my BRC dream and brought new music to the playa. I plan to do it again if I can work at it and make the right contacts and do some planning!

Plus, BMan is a place where us Full On Music Dorks to kind of drop the antzy pants to see our favorite bands and get into other aspects of the senses. ART and visual, especially. Instead of dancing my ass off 24/7 like I do at a music festival, instead I hang by the art and meet people by telling stories or sharing treats around a fire, or dance to something I never thought I would. The song "lips like sugar" by Echo and the Bunnymen never sounded so good as it did blasting out onto the esplanade in the middle of the night under a nevada sky full of stars.

Basically, if you see something BRC lacks and you want it, that is one of the many inspirations to make it happen. Within reason, of course. I dont have an extra dime to my name, so I just got to know folks from Glitter camp and camped with them and created a party using the Glitterbox. I spent only $50 on bacon and mimosas to go with the party and they let me play whatever I damn well pleased because I worked with them and made it special. REWARDING. Absolutely rewarding.

Setting goals within reason has helped me have better burns. I dont want to go over my head and stress out, but I do want to put in enough work to make a little dream come true here and there :)

Token

Post by Token » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 pm

I can see it in my minds eye:

A Hunter S Thomson type mumbling into a recorder over a long cigarette holder stuck in his teeth.

kitkatseattle

Post by kitkatseattle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

I was a virgin this year too, and there aren't enough great adjectives to describe my experience; epic, amazing, mind-opening, and just fun as hell! Even though I hang out with a lot of veteran burners and have heard stories and seen pictures, there is no way anyone could imagine the scale that everything is on if you haven't seen it for yourself. The most notable thing for me was the openness and genuine niceness that everyone exhibited. It was so welcoming and freeing to be treated like that for a whole week by complete strangers! The other aspect I loved so much was that no one judges and you are absolutely free to be you in any capacity you wish!

This burn has inspired me to make my life more enjoyable. I have a desk job that is, not so enjoyable, and am now contemplating culinary school.

I also got the awesome gift of a plane ride from a girlfriend who skydives, and it was absolutely incredible to see Black Rock City from the air! I feel so lucky!

There was so much new stuff for me to see, and everywhere I looked there was something cool or beautiful! Thanks to everyone that made my virgin experience so damn awesome, I'll be back next year for sure!

John Noggin

Post by John Noggin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17 am

I love it Robrob! I'm glad that BRC animal control didn't catch you.
Born to kill, Live to die. -U.S.S. Vigilante

I'll tolerate your hobbies if you'll tolerate mine. -Guns and Dope Party

SNJacobson

Great thread here!

Post by SNJacobson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:31 pm

This was my 3rd year and they seem to only get better, For those who didn't not get enough pictures (which is my passion) Here is a link to my images.

http://snjacobson.com/BurningMan/

or if you have a slow connection

http://snjacobson.com/BurningMan2/

Any one who wants the high res file of any of these shots please contact me

Lens Cap

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Re: Great thread here!

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 pm

SNJacobson wrote:This was my 3rd year and they seem to only get better, For those who didn't not get enough pictures (which is my passion) Here is a link to my images.

http://snjacobson.com/BurningMan/

or if you have a slow connection

http://snjacobson.com/BurningMan2/

Any one who wants the high res file of any of these shots please contact me

Lens Cap
Wow.. just.. wow.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

SNJacobson

Post by SNJacobson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 pm

@junglesmacks

THANK YOU!!!
Anything but Weddings and BarMizvas
S.N.Jacobson
www.SNJacobson.com

Lowz
Camp Name: Hostel (but CNV stays in my heart)

Post by Lowz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:46 am

hey guy this is my account ....almost
great job
I'll just add the first advice someone give me the firts night when i arrived.
Save your power until wenesday night, try to not be burn out on the first days ..
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.

OatmealMama
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Thanks for the link

Post by OatmealMama » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:09 pm

WDYDWYD was my favorite at BM and I've been meaning to look for more online since I've been home...

::: sigh :::

Return to “Stories”