Moop Proliferation (?)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Moop Proliferation (?)

Post by Mosin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 pm

In my four consecutive burns this seemed to be by far the most moopy. I'm not just talking about random TP shreds near the pottys... I'm talking GARBAGE left behind and/or left to blow all over the place. For example, the wood structure of stacked octagons near 8:00 and Esplanade routinely had empty beer cans, alcohol bottles (yes, fucking glass), candy wrappers, and tons of spent glowy. I know the shit was littered/left there because of how careful the fucktards were in trying to stash the moop in/around the structure. <sigh> I also wonder if relatively calm weather led to camp complacency later in the week (?) On Friday night during the whiteout I saw all kinds of shit from camps flying around...empty plastic bottles, tarps, paper etc.

Thoughts? Experiences? Perspective?
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

Coastburner

I totally Agree!!!!

Post by Coastburner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:21 pm

I saw the same thing. I've gone up with the same camp for many years and I saw 4 different newbies that just walked over a rockstar aluminum can in my camp and didn't bother to pick it up. I went over and picked it up but was surprised at the lack of awareness so to say. I then came back around 2am and saw the shade/public place strewn with garbage. I let the camp leaders know they should inform those in the camp about the leave no trace motto as they didn't seem to get it. It got a little better but I saw a lot of people walking and actually stepping over moop as opposed to picking it up. I was really surprised as well at the number of people that didn't do anything to participate. I saw so many gray outfits, meaning, shorts, pants, gray tops and camelbacks that I was actually surprised of the number of people not actually trying at least a little to participate. I had someone ask to take me and my beautiful girlfriend's picture and they said "Wow, you look great, a little overdressed, but pretty good." I thought it was interesting and it was the first time I actually realized that the event may be on the "Bucket List" or something along the same lines. Either way, I think the leave no trace lifestyle needs to be re-energized as this is not some big party to come out and watch the freaks. I have no problem being a freak so to say but if 50% plus doesn't seem to get into it, then it's really starting to change. Just my opinion.

Coastburner

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: I totally Agree!!!!

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Coastburner wrote:I let the camp leaders know they should inform those in the camp about the leave no trace motto as they didn't seem to get it.
Good for you!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Coastburner wrote: I was really surprised as well at the number of people that didn't do anything to participate. I saw so many gray outfits, meaning, shorts, pants, gray tops and camelbacks that I was actually surprised of the number of people not actually trying at least a little to participate.

[...] I have no problem being a freak so to say but if 50% plus doesn't seem to get into it, then it's really starting to change. Just my opinion.
You don't think that it was nearly that high, do you? I would say I saw maybe 3-5% overall not participating..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Mosin

Post by Mosin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Full disclosure: I grabbed the moop I saw flying by during the windstorm Friday night, but did not clean up the garbage at the octagons that bugged me so much... and I'm still regretting it. How did I rationalize now-regretted inaction? The beer cans still had beer in them, the glass alc bottles were heavy, and the other moop haphazard and playafied (if you will) requiring me to either end my night and shlep/stumble it all back to camp wrapped up in the front of the shirt I was wearing. If I had my bike (with basket) or a sack of some sort it would have been a different story. Still, as I was whining about it, POOF: a small figure that will remain unnamed (Isotopia :wink: ) suddenly appeared on my shoulder and yelled in my ear "The moop bothers you? Well what the fuck are you gonna do about it then, bitch?" POOF. I didn't have a response, nor did I take action. I should have gone back to camp and returned with a trash bag, but I didn't. I suck. The only lesson I can draw from the experience is to carry around one of those small white plastic trash bags in my back pocket at future burns, and to heed wise apparitions.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Coastburner wrote: I was really surprised as well at the number of people that didn't do anything to participate. I saw so many gray outfits, meaning, shorts, pants, gray tops and camelbacks that I was actually surprised of the number of people not actually trying at least a little to participate.

[...] I have no problem being a freak so to say but if 50% plus doesn't seem to get into it, then it's really starting to change. Just my opinion.
You don't think that it was nearly that high, do you? I would say I saw maybe 3-5% overall not participating..

very close to impossible to stop the flood. especially when it's actually a tide. two years ago i'd estimate the non-participants and moop asswads at around 20%. :?
blow.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 am

Leave No Trace is far/days away.

Put more !!!! on Don't Let It Hit the Ground..

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:35 am

I believe it's the artists' job to clean up around their installations, but knock yourself out.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

sunkenstate5683

Post by sunkenstate5683 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I knowingly lost track of one piece of moop during the week: a small [i]clear[/i] plastic blade cover for a utility knife. I searched my immediate surroundings for a while before giving up and apologizing to the playa. I feel it was made up for by scrubbing behind less diligent campmates later in the week.

As far as mildly dressed hiking pants & camelbak wearers - not all are non-participants. They may be serving dinner for the temple crew, washing dishes for DPW, lighting lamps later that night, or passing out vitamins and dust masks in a storm. That's how I gave back anyways.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Did not know I was to wear some kind of fucking BM uniform..

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:07 pm

There was a real lack of MOOP and potty messages being put out there, and with so many virgins and other newcomers, BM is loosing it's collective conscience. Just my oppinion.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Kidsville had a shit ton of stuff left by people camping there. I am in the process of carting home a small pedal powered race car that somebody obviously had the wherewithal to cart out, but not take home. I also had somebody attempt to gift us a bike trailer :roll:

WTF?!? You can take shit out but not return it?

We also had some ass-hats dump out the remains of their burn platform onto the playa when they left. Info has and is being transmitted to the BLM rangers so they can ticket the assholes. They won't be allowed to camp in Kidsville again.

I feel sorry for the Mayor and Gordy for all of the shit that was left that they will have to cart home. If I wasn't already taking home 2 additional shade shelters and the race car (at least it's #3 in Dale Sr's colors) I'da taken some of the moop with me to lighten their load.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Considering how much the concept of leave no trace is advertised alongside this event, I was really surprised by the amount of garbage floating about.

The day before I left, I was riding along one of the outlying neighborhoods when I found a full box of unspent nitrous oxide cartridges. That's 24 cartridges. They were lying on the ground, spilled from the box. I stopped my bike, picked them up, and asked the camp that was right there and didn't pick them up if the box belonged to them. They said they didn't own the box. So I took it back to camp.

Ok, moop, playa gift, same diff sometimes. I don't do whippets, but some of my camp mates were VERY happy by this development.
Popped the playa cherry!

Mosin

Post by Mosin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Bob wrote:I believe it's the artists' job to clean up around their installations, but knock yourself out.
It's more about being prepared to deal with something that bugs me in a positive way should that happen again, rather than any interest in becoming a moop slave. In any case, I wasn't aware that it was the artists' responsibility to clean up moop left at their installations. Perhaps that's what motivated the drunk fucktards to leave their 1/2 empty beer cans and empty vodka bottles to begin with (?).

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 am

Sail Man wrote: I feel sorry for the Mayor and Gordy
sucks. i don't feel sorry for the mayor and gordy though. i'd think they're responsible for their people knowing how to do the right thing. The captain is the last one off the ship. This is where I think BM and the world in general is disintegrating. Passing along responsibility and integrity...

..and unjon, you are a walking burningman uniform. ..if i remember correctly.. ;)
blow.

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 am

I could hardly believe the amount of garbage obviously dropped by burner's cars and trucks along the roads and highways on the way home.

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am

I was surprised by the amount of moop left in center camp.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:56 am

Our area wasn't MOOPy because WE kept it clean.

When you see a pile of MOOP you are supposed to set the example by cleaning it up. It makes you feel good and it makes the area look clean.

Alternatively, you can wait to see how many people piss you off by walking past it and then complain anonymously to a bunch of people back in default while the remaining burn crew cleans the playa.

You can't control other peoples actions... but you sure can control your own if you desire to do so.

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 am

I wanted to add that the porta potties in our area were especially well respected and clean this year. Thanks to everyone in the neighborhood for that. PEACE!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:57 am

Parasitoid wrote:I wanted to add that the porta potties in our area were especially well respected and clean this year. Thanks to everyone in the neighborhood for that. PEACE!

Yeah I'll add to that. I was really impressed with the porta-potties actually. I rarely if ever found them to be nasty.. other than what is to be expected at a minimum level of course.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

brody
Burning Since: 2004

Post by brody » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Mosin wrote:In any case, I wasn't aware that it was the artists' responsibility to clean up moop left at their installations.
Yes, if you bring art, part of your job is to be a janitor to the people who leave trash on any available surface. And if you have flat surfaces there will be trash set on it, or places for bottles to be tucked, or holes into which can be stuffed garbage, you're going to be playing janitor all week.

I was surprised that I ONLY found about 6 beer bottles/cans, a few plastic bags, a vomit-soaked t-shirt, and several packs of bubbles on my art this year. But then again I'd pared down all the interactive elements on my art that could have been used as trash cans....

It's a bummer, but it's just part of bringing art to Burning Man-- it all becomes a trash can.

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Our portos were in pretty decent condition too. I think only one toilet seat got ripped off, and I was surprised on Saturday that someone left a huge package of regular old Charmin in one of the units. I can't believe someone was using that shit all week.

ETA: Did anyone else get a singing birthday card in their row? We got one in our row, and that damn thing lasted all week. I swear they use some sort of plutonium future technology batteries in those damn things. I will have my revenge next year. I'm finding a chicken dance card. Mwahaha.
Popped the playa cherry!

Edana

Post by Edana » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Ugh, Sailman! I'm sorry Kidsville was such a mess. I tried to pick up as much MOOP around camp as I could before we left, and triple checked our camp area too. I also regulary patrolled the trampolines/ball pit and picked up anything that wasn't a waterbottle, item of clothing, or a shoe (assumed that those would be reclaimed by their rightful owners). I know my kids regulary left shoes/goggles/masks at the trampolines, but we periodically walked around and retrieved them.
I could hardly believe the amount of garbage obviously dropped by burner's cars and trucks along the roads and highways on the way home.
Me too! It was so bad it was embarrassing!

crstophr

Post by crstophr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Coastburner wrote: I saw so many gray outfits, meaning, shorts, pants, gray tops and camelbacks that I was actually surprised of the number of people not actually trying at least a little to participate.
sunkenstate5683 wrote:As far as mildly dressed hiking pants & camelbak wearers - not all are non-participants. They may be serving dinner for the temple crew, washing dishes for DPW, lighting lamps later that night, or passing out vitamins and dust masks in a storm. That's how I gave back anyways.
This really made me laugh. This is my second year with an esplanade theme camp. I'm an engineer type and rather fashion illiterate. We worked our asses off for 3 days pre-event to setup. We did a spaghetti feed, and handed out otter pops on the esplanade. I served drinks and managed our song playlist at various times. Thursday night I did this for 8 straight hours. Sunday we worked all day in the dust storm to tear down, clean moop, and pack up. Do you have any idea how much moop gets left at a theme camp?

My mild dress and camelback are a practical reality of having not the time, energy, money, or interest in sporting a playa fashionable sparkle pony suit. I'm just to busy building something I hope you will enjoy. I am very sad not to have met your expectations for participation. Next year please come by our camp and I'll cheerfully pour you a cold drink while you judge me.

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

^
thanks for that post and all your work crstpher.

i always think, at first, about the "outfits" that seem non-participatory but I quickly realize that participation lies in the eyes, smile and actions, not the appearance.
blow.

Coastburner

Post by Coastburner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Point taken and apology sent your way in regards to outfit and effort. I'm guessing that although you may not have been dressed up in some crazy outfit, you did have lights on. I did see quite a few people with both no costumes and no lights. I do appreciate all the efforts of those with theme camps including yourself. I was involved with the Deep End one year and the work involved was massive and extremely hard. Cleaning up and taking everything down on the last day was brutal.

After 8 years, this was the first year I really seemed to notice a lot of spectating and less participation but that was just my opinion and it doesn't mean it's true or correct but that's what I experienced.

Coastburner

brody
Burning Since: 2004

Post by brody » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:41 pm

crstophr wrote:Next year please come by our camp and I'll cheerfully pour you a cold drink while you judge me.
You, sir, are rad.

Great answer, and I wholeheartedly agree.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Packoderm wrote:I could hardly believe the amount of garbage obviously dropped by burner's cars and trucks along the roads and highways on the way home.
I saw a LOT of blown off garbage this year. Packing a trailer is more than throwing the stuff on with one badly tied rope to hold it down. One trailer in the exodus line was so astonishingly badly stacked, we took pictures of it.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:38 pm

i really liked having that trash depot right before gerlach. saved me the worry of losing trash and they were happy to make the cash.
seems like a lot of burnable trash/baby wipes were scattered roadside, but i thought better than years before.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Parasitoid wrote:Our area wasn't MOOPy because WE kept it clean.

When you see a pile of MOOP you are supposed to set the example by cleaning it up. It makes you feel good and it makes the area look clean.

Alternatively, you can wait to see how many people piss you off by walking past it and then complain anonymously to a bunch of people back in default while the remaining burn crew cleans the playa.

You can't control other peoples actions... but you sure can control your own if you desire to do so.
*clap, clap*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Stories”