REAL Tourist and Tour BUsses at Burning Man! STOP THIS BS!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Is this right?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 am

Yes
31%
Yes
31%
No
19%
No
19%

Total votes: 62

dj_Danimal

Tourist at Burning Man! I F-ing saw them! Want a pic?

Post by dj_Danimal » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Tourists! AT BURNINGMAN! Clean, giving out MOOP and looking like jerks! They were from the Rotary Club of Reno and came in on Amadore busses. # of them! 3! They said they purchased a day ticket(WTF is a day ticket to Burning Man?). One of them looks almost like he belongs, the rest are nice and clean and proper; especially the group of "hens!". Right before i snapped a photo of THEM, one of them snapped a photo of a naked woman riding by on bike! This is bullshit, Black Rock City LLC, DONT SELL US OUT!!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 pm

This has been going on for years.

It serves as a way to bridge between our community and the locals.

What does this have to do with 2011 tickets?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:08 pm

You know.. I was standing at the corner of my camp at 730 & B, and these 2 sterile looking hen ladies walked up wearing "BRC Scavenger Hunt" t shirts. They asked me where they were and if I knew the camp, and I said yeah sure.. you're here. The had this little list of things to see at BRC, and our glowstick shooters were on the list. It was awkward.. I totally in my mind was thinking what the hell are these ladies doing here? It was Saturday, too.. now that I think about it. I was still covered in an inch thick layer of dust from sleeping under the pagoda on the playa by 4:00. Ahh.. memories..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

dj_Danimal

This is just the thing...

Post by dj_Danimal » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 pm

This is just the thing... these people are there taking advantage of BM and not participating other than "consuming" They don’t pickup trash, they don’t donate to bars, they don’t serve grilled cheese or hot dogs. They don’t help, let alone HAVE neighbors. and definitely don't help create a sense of community! Eventually, there will be more of them and less of US and the whole event will be deflated! The 300$ ticket price keeps people from just coming out one day! and taking advantage! These people should be required to bring all the same essentials as everyone, pay the same price and deal with the same harsh environment! NOT COME FOR ONE DAY! The night of our special burn, our special man and our beautiful and amazing fire conclave!

dj_Danimal

forgot to mention...

Post by dj_Danimal » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I forgot to mention, I wasnt refering to the people from Gerlach, i can see how this bridges the gap, but these people that I saw were from Reno and were NOT from Gerlach!

bx1

Post by bx1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Why is this in the '2011 Burning Man Event / 2011 Tickets' section?
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:10 am

Are you absolutely positive this wasn't "performance art", a practical joke?
I used to do something similar with the old Costco gang, in a very clean suit and tie. You cannot judge how long someone has been on the playa by how clean and fresh they look, that only tells you if they lived in a tent.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

dj_Danimal

I promise it wasnt "preformance art"

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I know it wasnt preformance art, this is a virus and if we as burners want to keep our community, we need to speak up and put our foot down on this issue and stand firm... NO TOURISTS or TOUR BUSSES at Burning Man! Period!

dj_Danimal

REAL!! Tourist & Tour Busses at BurningMan!THIS HAS TO

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 pm

I saw them, three large Amador Tour Busses at approximately 6:30 and E on Saturday. Sitting in the shade were several clean, touristy individuals taking pictures of naked people without permission. They were a bunch of middle aged men and women who CLEARLY didn’t fit in. It wasn’t performance art and it wasn’t a joke. I approached one of them and asked if they were in fact light seeing and I was told with a fir "Yes!" Then, I asked where they were from and they said, "Were from the Reno Rotary Club." As they continued to snap pictures of people without permission. I asked, "Did you pay the full price for just one day?" and they said, "no, we paid a special, ONE DAY PASS" WTF is a ONE Day pass to Burning Man? I have been told they were given scavenger lists and were out drinking from bars.

I have a picture to prove theses jerks were there!

The problem I have is these people are not Burners and are not in anyway contributing to our community. They don't bring art, they don’t provide services or volunteer and they sure as hell don't help ANY neighbors, THEY DON’T HAVE NEIGHBORS! The more this action takes place, the more diluted our community becomes until eventually it’s just another party and it looses its "special" character.

And to BRC LLC. This is bullshit! You’re selling us out and you don’t need to be doing this.

dj_Danimal

REAL Tourist and Tour BUsses at Burning Man! STOP THIS BS!

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:26 pm

I saw them, three large Amador Tour Busses at approximately 6:30 and E on Saturday. Sitting in the shade were several clean, touristy individuals taking pictures of naked people without permission. They were a bunch of middle aged men and women who CLEARLY didn’t fit in. It wasn’t performance art and it wasn’t a joke. I approached one of them and asked if they were in fact sight seeing and I was told with a fir "Yes!" Then, I asked where they were from and they said, "Were from the Reno Rotary Club." As they continued to snap pictures of people without permission. I asked, "Did you pay the full price for just one day?" and they said, "no, we paid a special, ONE DAY PASS" WTF is a ONE Day pass to Burning Man? I have been told they were given scavenger lists and were out drinking from bars.

The problem I have is these people are not Burners and are not in anyway contributing to our community. They don't bring art, they don’t provide services or volunteer and they sure as hell don't help ANY neighbors, THEY DON’T HAVE NEIGHBORS! The more this action takes place, the more diluted our community becomes until eventually it’s just another party and it looses its "special" character.

And to BRC LLC. This is bullshit! You’re selling us out and you don’t need to be doing this.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 pm

I kinda was hoping it was, but an incident at the Kantina makes me think otherwise -

I had 2 people I ejected from the Kantina this year - One was a klepto tweaker (lost some shit, I ever see you again you get to meet Arnie the Axe-Handle, you bitch)... but worse was from this bus group who was this VIOLENT turdomatic disruptive abusive jackass who wanted to fight people (and swung at me)...

Had I had Arnie he would be a statistic. I shit you not, friends, it was fucking UGLY.

(By the way - some others from this group were decent folk... if they were burners they played stupid virgin far better than I could - but the assholes makes me doubt this.)

The Metropolis greyline tour of our city - as performance art - IF it was art, and not a stupid move on the LLC's part - was good. But... if it was bringing abusive drunken violent assholes to where they had access to my place is fucked. In that case, it's an easy $360 a head for the LLC, but that little profit game cost me bigtime. I hope to fucking God it wasn't.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Pretty fucking funny, coming from a deejay.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

dj_Danimal

What about Tourist Theme Camp? WTF are these jerks here for?

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:31 pm

This year I saw them, three large Amador Tour Busses at approximately 6:30 and E on Saturday. Sitting in the shade were several clean, touristy individuals taking pictures of naked people without permission. They were a bunch of middle aged men and women who CLEARLY didn’t fit in. It wasn’t performance art and it wasn’t a joke.

I'm curiosu if this si going to be a theme camp next year? YOU get cheap tix(less than everyone else), you dont participate, and your consume resourses?

I approached one of them and asked if they were in fact light seeing and I was told with a fir "Yes!" Then, I asked where they were from and they said, "Were from the Reno Rotary Club." As they continued to snap pictures of people without permission. I asked, "Did you pay the full price for just one day?" and they said, "no, we paid a special, ONE DAY PASS" WTF is a ONE Day pass to Burning Man? I have been told they were given scavenger lists and were out drinking from bars.

Are they with a camp? NO! Are they getting in Cheap? Yes? IS this bullshit? HELL YES!

SO BRC LLC, are you going to let this happen until were completely under the preverbial "Tour Bus?" How about we just make it theme camp, jerk tourists... sounds sweet!

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:48 pm

light seeing? Sorry, you're a DJ not a shaman.

In all seriousness you're getting your panties in a tightwad over 3 busses of paying tourists visiting a city of 52000 people? Those Reno Rotary Club people could be quite helpful in drumming up public support for Burning Man as BLM permit negotiations begin. They were obviously there with the ORG's awareness...it's not like it's the first time it's happened...and since those were air conditioned coaches they could have been more than Rotary Club people. I remember one year a US Senator showed up out there...and he got the super-lux treatment as well.

I can see why you're freaking out over the pictures...that's upsetting...but my hunch is we're not aware of what's truly going on here. And we may never know. When the ORG asks for Afterburn feedback...light them up with your concern. But let's not rush to judgment or stereotype people so quickly.

And age is just a fucking number...middle aged people certainly belong in the BM community just as much as some teenager or mid-20 something does. One of those middle aged spectators could be the person that builds the kick ass art car or piece of art you see next year...after they were inspired by that day trip to the desert. That has happened more than once and we've all shared those benefits.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59 pm

I just read Bay Bridge Sue's post about the bus tourists in another thread...and she's someone I deeply admire and respect...if she had trouble then that's saying something. I still stand behind my post as the original smacked of over the top stereotyping. But maybe it's time to get the ORG's attention on this and see if they can make some changes for next year...
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:02 pm

And by the way... a few of them I spoke to may return as "real" burners next year. So if that happens, we did good. Really - a couple may be the grannies you spoke about - serious shit, they dug the hell out of what we did. (THEY made me smile... and they got Kantina passes, too!!)

The drunken fighter, OTOH... I don't like being threatened in my own space or having my participant customers and volunteers threatened. If he was a real Rotarian then you can keep the publicity - my "customer"'s safety is more important tham an abusive fisticuffy jerk. and had I not finally defused this turd (I'm trained at this) and he decided to go after me there would have been a LEAL incident, I would have been arrested and ejected, and that would have been that.

I hope someone at the LLC gets that - IF you do a PR gig (which IMO is fine, they do it all the time to be honest, most of which are great, and I've met some amazing peeps who the Hat and co have done this with) be prepared when it turns ugly. The old way - where they got the tour of the city, etc - works awesome.

I can't take a citizen who wants to turn my kantina upside down to thunderdome or go run to rangers or hope the BLM or LE happen by to work it out - the action I may need to take will be much less time consuming and much more permanent. I sure don't want that - it would break my heart. But I won't have anyone threaten or get violent in my joint. No way no how. I only hope the LLC understands this.

dj_Danimal

I don't need to be to see what was going on...

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 pm

No these were not special people and they were not the ONLY tourists I heard about. They were tourists, sorry, but they were! And they were there on a special ticket! SO stop trying to downplay this, we all are there together, were all putting up with the same difficultes and were all reaping the same benefits. NO one needs to be there on special pass. I ran into a bunch of representitives too... they were not like these people.

And as for the age thing, I only said ti to paint a more clear picture of the type of persona these were. Middle age is ofcourse part of the people who are there, shit, I'm almost middle age, BUT, my point is THESE WERE NOT PARTICIPANTS OR BURNERS!!! Get that stright, right now! They were TOURISTS! Treating Bunring Man, like the Golden GateBridge or Grand Canyon... Thats not acceptable!

As more of these jerks!! come in, regardless of what they are, they will detract from the real experience and eventually it will all be gone, andit will just be another carnival!

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

The clarifications helped...thanks, and I'm sorry for firing my cannons off but I hate crap like that.

I know this has come up before and we may have some eplaya threads about it. Time to dig around a bit....

But no matter where they came from...if BBS wants to get Arnie out that asshole just doesn't need to be on the playa, period. Can't justify behavior like that even if someone tried to call it performance art...
Kinetic V
~~~~~~

Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:27 pm

That actually would be a funny spoof theme camp, and could be used to draw attention to the problem. Maybe have marches on the ranger station or something. =p
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 pm

dj_d.....
stop posting your same shit everywhere... We heard you the other times. I know your standing true to your DJ roots in grabbing all the the lime-light while you can, but your 15 mins is up with this topic... :shock: :shock: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Ya, your spam is not welcome.

ibdave

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:47 pm

:shock: :roll: :roll:

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

dj_Danimal

Look guys, get off my sack!

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Look, I'm just trying to make this known to everyone, because I’m pretty sure most Burners are not cool with this going on! So shut your mouth or contribute somthing constructive to the conversation, or just please be quiet. Say something other than belly aching! You’re not helping!

ibdave

Post by ibdave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 pm

and you really think your dribble is??? now that's funny.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:08 pm

"Say something other than belly aching!"

:lol:

We need more comedians like you.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Say something other than belly aching! You’re not helping!
How can you expect anyone of us here to take anything you say seriously when your online name is predicated with the letters 'DJ' huh?

Ugly Dougly

Re: REAL!! Tourist & Tour Busses at BurningMan!THIS HAS

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:11 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:The problem I have is these people are not Burners and are not in anyway contributing to our community. They don't bring art, they don’t provide services or volunteer and they sure as hell don't help ANY neighbors, THEY DON’T HAVE NEIGHBORS!
Let's see a picture of what YOU contributed.

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Re: REAL!! Tourist & Tour Busses at BurningMan!THIS HAS

Post by Mosin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
dj_Danimal wrote:The problem I have is these people are not Burners and are not in anyway contributing to our community. They don't bring art, they don’t provide services or volunteer and they sure as hell don't help ANY neighbors, THEY DON’T HAVE NEIGHBORS!
Let's see a picture of what YOU contributed.
That so isn't the fucking point. Do I have to list the range of art, drinks, food, mechanical assistance/parts, hugs etc I provided to call bullshit on the tour busses and/or your lamefuck retort? How about you post photos of your contributions so we can have a Burnier-than-thou pissing contest (?)
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

dj_Danimal

Post by dj_Danimal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm

((sigh))... My name, really? Belly aching? No, really? fuck it! lets just sell out! Let it happen, everythings got to end sometime, right? I'm sure this will have a good out come!

But in the mean time, can you tell me how you feel about these tourists?

Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:48 pm

I think you're missing the point. Yes its an important topic worth discussing. But carpet bombing all the forums when the subject doesn't even fit into those categories isn't appropriate. Just because you personally feel something is very important doesn't give you the right to disregard forum etiquette and rules. You are not the center of the universe.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Return to “Stories”