REAL Tourist and Tour BUsses at Burning Man! STOP THIS BS!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Is this right?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 am

Yes
31%
Yes
31%
No
19%
No
19%

Total votes: 62

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 pm

All y'all're tourists.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

unit_cohesion

Post by unit_cohesion » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm

An account of one participant's fun time:

http://fiberfloozieafiberholic.blogspot ... ekend.html

l0ckd0wn

Post by l0ckd0wn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:09 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:The problem I have is these people are not Burners and are not in anyway contributing to our community. They don't bring art, they don’t provide services or volunteer and they sure as hell don't help ANY neighbors, THEY DON’T HAVE NEIGHBORS! The more this action takes place, the more diluted our community becomes until eventually it’s just another party and it looses its "special" character.
Says who?

Who are you to judge them? What did you do to welcome them? What did you give them to remember such a positive, wonderful place? They provided indirect entertainment, a kind of 'moving sitcom on the playa: subrabanites in outer waste.'

They came for a day. They took pictures and laughed. They left and then were gone. Where is the problem?
dj_Danimal wrote:((sigh))... My name, really? Belly aching? No, really? fuck it! lets just sell out! Let it happen, everythings got to end sometime, right? I'm sure this will have a good out come!
Oh wow, please let me know when you die because I'm seriously aching for you to become a martyr.
dj_Danimal wrote:But in the mean time, can you tell me how you feel about these tourists?
They're tourists; they came, they left. We picked up after them, just like we do when we are not home. Let them sit from the sidelines and watch, scared and guarded; we're the ones having the real fun out there!

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Re: I don't need to be to see what was going on...

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:No these were not special people and they were not the ONLY tourists I heard about. They were tourists, sorry, but they were! And they were there on a special ticket! SO stop trying to downplay this, we all are there together, were all putting up with the same difficultes and were all reaping the same benefits. NO one needs to be there on special pass. I ran into a bunch of representitives too... they were not like these people.

And as for the age thing, I only said ti to paint a more clear picture of the type of persona these were. Middle age is ofcourse part of the people who are there, shit, I'm almost middle age, BUT, my point is THESE WERE NOT PARTICIPANTS OR BURNERS!!! Get that stright, right now! They were TOURISTS! Treating Bunring Man, like the Golden GateBridge or Grand Canyon... Thats not acceptable!

As more of these jerks!! come in, regardless of what they are, they will detract from the real experience and eventually it will all be gone, andit will just be another carnival!
[sigh] Clearly Danimal, you've never had to deal with goverment agencies on an event level. There are just some things you have to do to make nicey nice to the neighbors you ignorant fool.

Yes, they most likely will not be "your people"....and I love how I appointed YOU my arbiter of what's acceptable in BRC.

So listen fucktard....there are things that happen above your paygrade so that the people that wear the big pants can make sure you can come to your dusty rave each year. And sometimes those things suck. But those are the breaks.

P.S. Please invite us all to your private, fuck all the neighbors, hell be damned I'll make my own rules rave.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Who is the jerk? The people taking pictures or the person telling people how things should be and to shut up if they don't agree.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Parasitoid wrote:Who is the jerk? The people taking pictures or the person telling people how things should be and to shut up if they don't agree.
QFT. Somebody didn't get laid on the playa and is venting his grief by trolling. You'll see more as the week progresses.

Sunkix4

Post by Sunkix4 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:31 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"] The had this little list of things to see at BRC, and our glowstick shooters were on the list[/quote]

Your glowstick shooters were awesome! :)

clerkkent

Day passes?

Post by clerkkent » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm curious about the supposed 'day passes'- I've never heard about them being publicly available in recent years (although back in the 90s they could be had).

I'm thinking these 'passes' are part of the org's community relations stash targeting people and groups that could be influential in future event planning negotiations. Many event organizers have similar policies.

Any details to be shared?

theCryptofishist

Re: Day passes?

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:19 pm

clerkkent wrote:Any details to be shared?
In a word, no. Because the people who have that information are not on this board, and may not read this board. Some rumor may trickle down and will be as reliable as the word "rumor" implies.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

ibdave wrote:dj_d.....
stop posting your same shit everywhere... We heard you the other times. I know your standing true to your DJ roots in grabbing all the the lime-light while you can, but your 15 mins is up with this topic... :shock: :shock: :roll:
He stole my fifteen minutes and I think he nicked off five or six of yours as well.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Parasitoid wrote:Who is the jerk? The people taking pictures or the person telling people how things should be and to shut up if they don't agree.
QFT. Somebody didn't get laid on the playa and is venting his grief by trolling. You'll see more as the week progresses.
heheheheheheheheheheheheheheh! heheh!
The Lady with a Lamprey

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 pm

unit_cohesion wrote:An account of one participant's fun time:

http://fiberfloozieafiberholic.blogspot ... ekend.html

Heh heh heh... just posted a comment on her blog. At least I now know they were for real. And yeah, I wouldn't mind doing the Nugget thing - too bad they didn't pick US up some of that barbecue... would have been a great gift for those of us out there!

sdowney2002
Burning Since: 2010

Re: REAL!! Tourist & Tour Busses at BurningMan!THIS HAS

Post by sdowney2002 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Wow! That's pretty disturbing. You should post your pictures AND email BRC directly, and ask them what gives. Post their response back here.[/s]

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Uuuuuuuuhh. I was camped next to the Amador buses. They were extensions to the Green Tortoise buses. GT has been going for years transporting people to and from the playa...

Unwind your panties.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 am

Dj said,
I approached one of them and asked if they were in fact light seeing and I was told with a fir "Yes!"
Seems to me if they are indeed light seeing and have talking fir, they are about as "burner" as it gets!

But seriously,,,,, I talked with a couple dressed in brand-new BDSM gear who had never experienced the lifestyle,,,,, soooooo does that make them more qualified to attend?

Maybe the Rotary Club of Reno is considering an association of some sort with BM for a community project?

It just seems there are many assumptions being made on an extremely limited amount of information. It might be wise to investigate a bit further prior to posting an alarming thread.... jus' sayin'
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 am

I'm shocked that you people don't investigate everyone at Burning Man.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Coastburner

Those buses had nothing to do with Green Tortoise

Post by Coastburner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 am

Actually, those buses had nothing to do with the Green Tortoise. I know because I camp with the Green Tortoise and have done so for the last eight years. The buses parked there because they saw the other Green Tortoise buses and thought this is where the buses park. I talked to the first "Tourist" bus and found out it was a charter from Reno and yes, I agree, it was quite touristy for my taste. It seemed like some stayed in the bus to look at the crazy BM people like myself. Others put lawn chairs out, opened up bottles of wine and watched people go by, taking pictures without asking permission My opinion is if you're coming to burning man you should participate as opposed to spectate. The other buses were part of the Rotary Club and apparently had either a theme camp or were connected in some way to Burning Man. In their case, they were all dressed up, had decorated bikes and were all about participating as opposed to spectating. They got there, got out of the bus, got on their bikes and headed out. I did mention in another post that I saw quite a few people that didn't come up on tourist buses but were dressed in gray drab street clothes and MANY were darkwads. On top of that, I think the whole "Leave no Trace" motto for burning man has been lost, forgotten or never learned by a lot of the tourist types that come to burning man. Although Leave No Trace is the way it should be at BM, it's gotten lost for quite a few people. Maybe we should have a Leave No Trace theme one year to remind everyone that it's a major part of burning man.

Coastburner

Coastburner

Maybe they were dressed according to the theme

Post by Coastburner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 am

To be fair, since the theme this year was Metropolis, maybe those gray drab burners were indeed dressed up according to the Metropolis theme. Hard to say and I stand corrected on that point. That said, a LOT of them didn't have any lights. No lights combined with the dark clothing made them nearly impossible to see at night. Darkwad = dangerous

baconqurlyq

Post by baconqurlyq » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm still fairly new at this, so out of curiosity, what's the thing with getting down on the DJ? A buddy of mine is a DJ and spun up some wonderful mashups at our camp this year.
Popped the playa cherry!

dj_Danimal

Ok everybody I got to the bottom of this as best i could

Post by dj_Danimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:43 pm

This is a reply from the "Burning Man" facebook page, posted BY Burning Man...

""Hi Danny, here's the context you're missing:

Burning Man has an External Relations Team (XRT), whose purpose is to invite potential strategic partners to Black Rock City for the day, and give them a tour of Burning Man, including what we do, how we do it, and why. Invitees are people in the government, business community, the arts, law enforcement, local Indian tribes, and other local groups who have never been to Burning Man before, and who can positively or negatively impact our event.

We offer them a one-day ticket, and give them a 1.5 hour tour, and by the end of it, they understand Burning Man in a way that they never could from what they hear in the media. Oftentimes, having had their minds blown, they return the following year to camp and fully participate, becoming active and enthusiastic members of our community.

That's what you were seeing here; consider it proactive radical inclusion. Now, decide whether or not you want to judge them.""

...So theres the answer!!!... that being said, I ask XRT to PLEASE PLEASE have a little deeper discussion with your patrons whom are coming to Bunring Man on taking pictures of people WITHOUT PERMISSION! I pesonally witnessed this happen. Have them show a little consideration with their personal behivor towards our citizens!

dj_Danimal

Ok everybody I got to the bottom of this as best i could

Post by dj_Danimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Burning Man has an External Relations Team (XRT), whose purpose is to invite potential strategic partners to Black Rock City for the day, and give them a tour of Burning Man, including what we do, how we do it, and why. Invitees are people in the government, business community, the arts, law enforcement, local Indian tribes, and other local groups who have never been to Burning Man before, and who can positively or negatively impact our event.

We offer them a one-day ticket, and give them a 1.5 hour tour, and by the end of it, they understand Burning Man in a way that they never could from what they hear in the media. Oftentimes, having had their minds blown, they return the following year to camp and fully participate, becoming active and enthusiastic members of our community.

That's what you were seeing here; consider it proactive radical inclusion. Now, decide whether or not you want to judge them.""

...So theres the answer!!!... that being said, I ask XRT to PLEASE PLEASE have a little deeper discussion with your patrons whom are coming to Bunring Man on taking pictures of people WITHOUT PERMISSION! I pesonally witnessed this happen. Have them show a little consideration with their personal behivor towards our citizens!

dj_Danimal

I got to the bottom as best i could...

Post by dj_Danimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 pm

dj_Danimal

I got to the bottom of this as best i could...

Post by dj_Danimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Nitevenus

Post by Nitevenus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Great, now there are people leaving threatening comments on the poor girls blog. Yeah, we know we don't like it that they were allowed in as tourists. Take it up with who allows this to happen. But do the rest of us really want to be associated as death wishing terrorists??

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:55 pm

hey danimal-

i've been reading your posts. i think most of us agree that "tourists" aren't what it's about. but dude, neither is moop or theft and stopping the tide is near impossible.

come to think about it, I can't imagine any metropolis on the face of the earth that DOESN't have MOOP, THEFT and TOURISTS.

get over it
blow.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:59 pm

OK.
now GOODNIGHT.
blow.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 pm

baconqurlyq wrote:I'm still fairly new at this, so out of curiosity, what's the thing with getting down on the DJ? A buddy of mine is a DJ and spun up some wonderful mashups at our camp this year.
60,000 people went to burningman this year. 70,000 were djs. And they have that attitude that they are important.
The Lady with a Lamprey

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Well I guess the horse id dead, djD are you going to keep riding it into the Playa or let it go? :idea: :idea: :idea:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: I got to the bottom as best i could...

Post by ibdave » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:39 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:This is a reply from the "Burning Man" facebook page, posted BY Burning Man...

Let me guess, your going update all your posts right? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 pm

baconqurlyq wrote:I'm still fairly new at this, so out of curiosity, what's the thing with getting down on the DJ? A buddy of mine is a DJ and spun up some wonderful mashups at our camp this year.
Some people here seem to get off on being critical assholes and/or generalizing out their ass about others. It isn't necessarily interesting/helpful, but it sure does boost the post count! :roll:
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

Return to “Stories”