REAL Tourist and Tour BUsses at Burning Man! STOP THIS BS!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Is this right?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 am

Yes
31%
Yes
31%
No
19%
No
19%

Total votes: 62

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Because nothing says "tourist bus" on the playa quite like "deejay w/ people bobbing around in front of said deejay"?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Galaxo Magic

Post by Galaxo Magic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:16 am

[quote="baconqurlyq"]I'm still fairly new at this, so out of curiosity, what's the thing with getting down on the DJ? A buddy of mine is a DJ and spun up some wonderful mashups at our camp this year.[/quote]

As the joke goes, walk into any crowd at BurningMan and ask who is a DJ and at least half will raise their hands.

zcassidy

Post by zcassidy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Well that was a scintillating thread...

Hasty generalizations are a bitch.

The playa has not been a secret for some time.

I was worried about more tourists types "invading" the playa every year. On the drive home I talked at length with my friends about what to do with tourists at burning man and we came to the conclusion that we are the best solution. Looking back at my first burn I was a tourist compared to what I am now and I still am compared to what some other people do. By educating these people we can make the playa an even more amazing place. It takes a lot of work to have fun...Go figure.
Be absurd with your goodness

Mekishiko

Re: Ok everybody I got to the bottom of this as best i could

Post by Mekishiko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:15 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:This is a reply from the "Burning Man" facebook page, posted BY Burning Man...

""Hi Danny, here's the context you're missing:

Burning Man has an External Relations Team (XRT), whose purpose is to invite potential strategic partners to Black Rock City for the day, and give them a tour of Burning Man, including what we do, how we do it, and why. Invitees are people in the government, business community, the arts, law enforcement, local Indian tribes, and other local groups who have never been to Burning Man before, and who can positively or negatively impact our event.

We offer them a one-day ticket, and give them a 1.5 hour tour, and by the end of it, they understand Burning Man in a way that they never could from what they hear in the media. Oftentimes, having had their minds blown, they return the following year to camp and fully participate, becoming active and enthusiastic members of our community.

That's what you were seeing here; consider it proactive radical inclusion. Now, decide whether or not you want to judge them.""

...So theres the answer!!!... that being said, I ask XRT to PLEASE PLEASE have a little deeper discussion with your patrons whom are coming to Bunring Man on taking pictures of people WITHOUT PERMISSION! I pesonally witnessed this happen. Have them show a little consideration with their personal behivor towards our citizens!
Lord of Ruin already informed you of this :/

epic

reno isnt local

Post by epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:38 am

Reno sure as hell isnt local. Its over 2 hours away. Is all of nevada local? How does that bridge anything? Does anyone think they feel any affinity to burners? Of course not, theyre watching a (to them) freakshow. If they can buy day passes why not everyone else?
theCryptofishist wrote:This has been going on for years.

It serves as a way to bridge between our community and the locals.

What does this have to do with 2011 tickets?

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:47 am

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about the ORG's policy on this...it's an area that nobody here has any influence at all to change.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

epic

Lord Of Ruin

Post by epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 am

Lord Of Ruin shit for brains, and youre in charge of what exactly? What are you managing that you know so much about what the powers that be are thinking. What is your esteemed title and rank your majesty?
Fuck you pompous asshole. Look at a map you geography challenged idiot, Reno is nether local nor a neighbor of Gerlach.
strategic partners is a business term. Are Pepsi and McDonalds strategic partners of BM?
Starbucks is sponsoring the cafe.

epic

Post by epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 am

this sums up Eplaya perfectly:
"Some people here seem to get off on being critical assholes and/or generalizing out their ass about others. It isn't necessarily interesting/helpful, but it sure does boost the post count!"

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:06 am

epic wrote:this sums up Eplaya perfectly:
"Some people here seem to get off on being critical assholes and/or generalizing out their ass about others. It isn't necessarily interesting/helpful, but it sure does boost the post count!"
Another post count reference. Sheesh, just admit that you're jealous and move on. With all the mindless drivel you've been posting lately you've kicked on the afterburners to boost your own post counts.

Having met the majority of the high post count posters I sit here laughing at your feeble attempt at an online smear campaign. There's a Foghorn Leghorn quote that fits here.... Boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind. You really don't get it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 am

You're an eplayan too unless you stop posting, generalizing with the best. And ever so helpful and on topic. Thanks for the opportunity for allowing others to explore the ignore feature.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 am

Kinetic V wrote:
Another post count reference. Sheesh, just admit that you're jealous and move on. With all the mindless drivel you've been posting lately you've kicked on the afterburners to boost your own post counts.

Having met the majority of the high post count posters I sit here laughing at your feeble attempt at an online smear campaign. There's a Foghorn Leghorn quote that fits here.... Boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind. You really don't get it.
good one KV........*chuckling*.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:35 pm

epic, you sir are a fucktard....

i just felt left out and hopes epic will cuss me out also. i do have more post than him and 12 years on the playa and have met most of you on the Playa also.
8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

bdeywoo

Re: Look guys, get off my sack!

Post by bdeywoo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:18 pm

dj_Danimal wrote:Look, I'm just trying to make this known to everyone, because I’m pretty sure most Burners are not cool with this going on! So shut your mouth or contribute somthing constructive to the conversation, or just please be quiet. Say something other than belly aching! You’re not helping!
So spewing all this on multiple threads is helping? Seems like you are treating E-Playa in the same way as the people you complain about treated the event. With NO RESPECT for others.

You may not see a value in those people being there, the LLC clearly does. Take it up with them, then bring your FACTS back so we can have a conversation rather than all this nonsense. Odds are those people were a strategic move by the LLC, something that has occured numerous times in BRC past. Most of the time it's a one step back to get two steps forward type of thing.

Get over it, you are barking to the WRONG crowd.

Edited after seeing the facebook post.....

There you go, thats a great way to handle it!

Risky

Post by Risky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:37 pm

After reading the OP's first page of posts, with so many exclamation marks, I am unable to read on.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:10 pm

The OP's whining might have been worthy of attention if his puerile rant wasn't so... second rate.

Epic's tantrum might have knocked it out of the park (palpable anger, lots of semi-directed energy, reasonable albeit non-creative use of 'cursage,' etc.) if the actual substance of his point(s) hadn't been so pathetically sophomoric. He needs time to develop that sense of indignation and I hope he'll come back to try his refined skillz but for now I hope he'll see his self out of the locker room.

He's trying to play in the wrong league.

All-in-all I gave the following score on my Whine-o-Meter:

DJ_whatever: 2.135

Epic: 3.375

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Bet you didn't know, that local tribes get reduced price tickets. Its called Diplomacy, wheteher you agree with it or not! For some silly reason a lot of these folks would love to see us gone, but they love our money. Just turn a blind eye, and let BMORG keep the peace!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Fuck

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm

shit damn

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Sorry for the triple post

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Critical Dicks = why not?
Critical Tits = hell yes!
Critical Assholes = no thank you...
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 am

[quote]
Bet you didn't know, that local tribes get reduced price tickets. Its called Diplomacy, wheteher you agree with it or not! For some silly reason a lot of these folks would love to see us gone, but they love our money. Just turn a blind eye, and let BMORG keep the peace! [/quote]

The part that I have to not let myself be bothered by is how they take those tickets and pass the discount onto friends and family from outside the area.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 am

Parasitoid wrote:
Bet you didn't know, that local tribes get reduced price tickets. Its called Diplomacy, wheteher you agree with it or not! For some silly reason a lot of these folks would love to see us gone, but they love our money. Just turn a blind eye, and let BMORG keep the peace!
The part that I have to not let myself be bothered by is how they take those tickets and pass the discount onto friends and family from outside the area.
I believe you have to be a resident. And the "tour busses" are a service to locals, to let them know what were up to. We already contribute to their school system and economy. Were trying to make friends out there, not lose them. The ranch pissed off a couple residents......even though they were miles away.....and was nearly shut down, because of them. We already pay the BLM for use of the playa, and, occasionally, were gonna have to take it up the ass to keep the locals happy. Its Nevada, not San Francisco.

Parasitoid

Post by Parasitoid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:37 am

WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 am

Parasitoid wrote:WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
Of course! Children are the sacrifice!

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Parasitoid wrote:
We have friends that live in Northern Washoe County that are teachers and because school now starts the same week as burning man, they sell their tickets at face value to some other friends we know, again, I don't really see the big deal. Other than "bummer, you don't know anybody who lives in Gerlach or on the res."

I'm not too sure why people have their panties in such a bunch over the tour buses. Again, this has been happening for years, just maybe a lot less conspicuously. I know for fact a large group from the Reno/Tahoe Airport Authority were out there on Weds. or Thurs., they've been helping burners set up a welcome center for the past two years, as well as put on a huge art display on the upper concourse. They wanted to check out what hype would make this the second busiest week for the airport, I think they had every right to check it out. Obviously they were less obnoxious and I think flown in, so no one noticed. :roll:

Yes the locals are definately curious. The circus has been driving through town for almost 20 years, they wanna check it out!

moonrise

Re: reno isnt local

Post by moonrise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 am

epic wrote:Reno sure as hell isnt local. Its over 2 hours away. Is all of nevada local? How does that bridge anything? Does anyone think they feel any affinity to burners? Of course not, theyre watching a (to them) freakshow. If they can buy day passes why not everyone else?
theCryptofishist wrote:This has been going on for years.

It serves as a way to bridge between our community and the locals.

What does this have to do with 2011 tickets?

Parasitoid wrote:
Quote:

LostinReno wrote;
We have friends that live in Northern Washoe County that are teachers and because school now starts the same week as burning man, they sell their tickets at face value to some other friends we know, again, I don't really see the big deal. Other than "bummer, you don't know anybody who lives in Gerlach or on the res."

I'm not too sure why people have their panties in such a bunch over the tour buses. Again, this has been happening for years, just maybe a lot less conspicuously. I know for fact a large group from the Reno/Tahoe Airport Authority were out there on Weds. or Thurs., they've been helping burners set up a welcome center for the past two years, as well as put on a huge art display on the upper concourse. They wanted to check out what hype would make this the second busiest week for the airport, I think they had every right to check it out. Obviously they were less obnoxious and I think flown in, so no one noticed.

Yes the locals are definately curious. The circus has been driving through town for almost 20 years, they wanna check it out!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Epic, Reno IS local, 3rd largest city in NV...next to RENO..then comes Vegas (for that matter SF is a quick jaunt from Reno, Washoe County, NV residents) I'll keep it short but there is a LOT more to this.

@LostinReno You are right on! WE wanna check it out and JOIN...

Reno/Tahoe tribes seemed to do some awesome BIG stuff 2010 imho.

I paid full price, stayed the WEEK (and then some extra days...some of the finest) and did it with a BROKEN BACK....it's taken 18 years for me to recover enough to return to the burn...yep, things have changed, 50+xs bigger...technically I was a virgin to BRC the 3rd largest city in NV and a FINE city too!

My Gerlach friends helped me return solo and safely and so did eplaya and many other resources...I didn't need the deadheads from SF to show me in and out as they did 18 years ago...but I and many others participate because we feel lucky to live in the region we love so much!!!! and we choose to participate.

@ Epic P.S. Burning Man has had a HUGE impact on the region of RENO/Northern Nevada/Tahoe...HUGE..you aren't local, you wouldn't understand. Now Hear This!!!! Many of us fiercely DEFEND BurningMan (not for monetary reasons) and if our grannys and grampys want to check it out, I say let 'em (the photgraphy issue aside...ugh...a whole different, ugly animal) they just might surprise you since many Nevadans are California escapees!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Eklypz
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Post by Eklypz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Wow, can't believe the comments from so called, "Burners" on that poor ladies blog. And anonymous too. Real classy. Fuck that "radical inclusion" thing, huh.

I for one, welcome them, especially, those that may never have came without that day pass and welcome us for a week a year to their towns. You must be from California and not had to deal with whole communities banning events due to what they "think" an event may be rather than what it actually is. Working with local communities to allow such a small thing as a few hours to see what is going on goes MILES towards making the event a smooth ride for participants.
~o(Eklypz)o~

Eklypz
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Post by Eklypz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Please read her reply to the insanely terrible comments here:

http://fiberfloozieafiberholic.blogspot ... ntary.html
~o(Eklypz)o~

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Mercy me.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm

The fiber floozies' social networking page has a comment from a burner stating bmorg posted an explanation about the one day tour bus Rotary visit.

Does anyone know if bmorg posted an explanation on eplaya about this?
I cannot find it if it exists, if you know please let me know where to find it
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Return to “Stories”