Got Dosed on the playa this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:00 am

Maybe some of the alleged victims had a strong belief in homeopathic dosing, Christian Science, unicorn abductions or something.

You never know these days. Sometimes it's just a bad mix of grain & grape.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lambert13 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I understand the argument that it might not have been LSD. Expensive, difficult to make, even more difficult to come across if you don't make it yourself.

But, there are so many Research Chemicals out there of the hallucinogenic or dissociative variety. Cooked up in a bathtub anywhere from Chicago to China and relatively cheap. Not to mention legal (for now) and easily obtainable to those who seek them out.

I tend to think that most dosing stories are of the mistaken diagnosis variety. But, it does happen. And not just to young women.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
User avatar
lambert13
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Postby swampdog » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:39 pm

The mechanics and cost of dosing via spray bottle just seem absurd to me. How much gets wasted on clothing, hair, etc? How much gets dripped back on the doser? I assume the above analysis of the cost of 12 oz of pure LSD is off - you'd cut it with water or rubbing alcohol, wouldn't you? - but still, it'd be a lot of stuff. Even if you accept that some rich evil bastard would buy enough stuff to dose people at random, would they be willing to buy enough stuff to waste on clothing etc? And besides, what do you do with the leftovers? How can you measure it out into controlled doses after it's been diluted (assumption)?

It just seems wildly impractical to me.

I do believe that people have been dosed - enough reliable people have reported their direct experience here. But I don't believe it can be widely prevalent and I take no specific anti-dosing precautions. And I'm very dubious of the water spritzing delivery method.

I do frequently offer spray bottle spritzing to random people. Lots of people really enjoy it. I always try to give a person time and opportunity to say no, although sometimes I've already started to pull the trigger before they recognize the question and say no. I then clearly and deliberately pull back the sprayer and stop.

Please don't hit me
User avatar
swampdog
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Bellingham WA
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:17 pm

How about waiting until they say "yes." A couple of microseconds of your time v. the horror of being dressed down in public for intrusive spritzing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40267
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Never occurred to me either

Postby Flirty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:33 pm

I was riding around with my new ranger friend (off duty) and he's the one who mentioned that it wasn't a good idea to get sprayed, just in case. Wow! My first year was 2001 and it was 107 degrees during the day, and I LOVED a good misting, often, and it didn't occur to me then. During Critical Tits it's impossible not to get misted by all the "well-meaning" dudes cheering us on, so whaddya gonna do?
User avatar
Flirty
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Postby swampdog » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 pm

See, that's the trick - I try not to be intrusive even when I make a mistake. For instance I prefer to spritz a cloud in front of someones face so it's a cool spot they pass through instead of a squirt in the face.

I think if someone ever really so upset at me for a spritz of water that they had to yell at me, I'd let them get it out of their system and then walk away.
User avatar
swampdog
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Bellingham WA
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Parasitoid » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Guess everyone better stay home next year. Far to dangerous. Far far far tpp dang3r0u5. Much more safe at home on the couch. Stay there. No one will find you there. What about that guy that thinks he is a cup of orange juice??? Can you imagine the horror!!
/S
Parasitoid
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Postby LovePaint » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:54 pm

[quote="CapSmashy"]The incidents I heard about this year involved spray bottles. I am now thankful that none of the several people with spray bottles in the ice line were sharing this gift with others.

We are going to be adding a new rule to our camp (probably village) next year. Anyone that wanders into camp and starts spraying people will be subject to a 2 hour confinement (probably ziptied to the rear tow hooks on my bus) period to ensure that the water was just water.
[/quote]

I went around misting people (consensually) because it was hot. I guess I'll be sorry if I accidentally ever wander into your camp.
LovePaint
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 am

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Crikey, keep your warm spit to yourself.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm

LovePaint wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:The incidents I heard about this year involved spray bottles. I am now thankful that none of the several people with spray bottles in the ice line were sharing this gift with others.

We are going to be adding a new rule to our camp (probably village) next year. Anyone that wanders into camp and starts spraying people will be subject to a 2 hour confinement (probably ziptied to the rear tow hooks on my bus) period to ensure that the water was just water.


I went around misting people (consensually) because it was hot. I guess I'll be sorry if I accidentally ever wander into your camp.

I'm pretty sure "...and starts spraying people..." is meant to mean "...and starts spraying people non-consensually..."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40267
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kiro » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:25 pm

The fact that sometimes, someone with a vial of LSD might turn out to be an idiot or an asshole is sad, but far from unbelievable. Like anything in life, it's not hard to get liquid acid if you know the right people, and I've heard of this exact thing happening at events in my area. It makes me very angry to hear about it, you can have the most horrific trips when unaware of what's happening.

Like others have said, even someone asking if you'd like to be sprayed could be that one asshole, and wrestling everyone to the ground that sprays us might get tiresome eventually. At least in a place like Black Rock City, you have to assume anyone doing this repeatedly will get caught pretty quickly.
Kiro
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Postby John Noggin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I found a flask full of whiskey between Nexus and Root. I asked the people around me if they dropped it, they hadn't. SO I drank it. Feeling really good on Sunday morning, sitting in front of my camp with some friends, talking to people walking by. Meet about 20 people who came over with extra booze and having some fun. Two girls then walked by. They came over and asked if any of us found a flask near Nexus. I showed them the empty flask and they instantly asked if any was left. I told them I had drank it all almost 4 hours ago. "Damn! That had all our acid in it!' one girl replied. 'Didn't you read the flyers we posted next to the bathrooms?' I gave them back their flask and they went on their way. It didn't do much after the week I had already had, but I dosed myself. I 'learned my lesson' Don't drink or eat any random stuff, or anything someone gives you, or anything you find on the playa, don't get sprayed from strangers, you never know whats in it.

Or as Iggy Pop said "Gimmie Danger little stranger"

Your choice and path.
Born to kill, Live to die. -U.S.S. Vigilante

I'll tolerate your hobbies if you'll tolerate mine. -Guns and Dope Party
John Noggin
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 pm
Location: Five Points

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:54 am

John Noggin wrote:I found a flask full of whiskey between Nexus and Root. I asked the people around me if they dropped it, they hadn't. SO I drank it. Feeling really good on Sunday morning, sitting in front of my camp with some friends, talking to people walking by. Meet about 20 people who came over with extra booze and having some fun. Two girls then walked by. They came over and asked if any of us found a flask near Nexus. I showed them the empty flask and they instantly asked if any was left. I told them I had drank it all almost 4 hours ago. "Damn! That had all our acid in it!' one girl replied. 'Didn't you read the flyers we posted next to the bathrooms?' I gave them back their flask and they went on their way. It didn't do much after the week I had already had, but I dosed myself. I 'learned my lesson' Don't drink or eat any random stuff, or anything someone gives you, or anything you find on the playa, don't get sprayed from strangers, you never know whats in it.

Or as Iggy Pop said "Gimmie Danger little stranger"

Your choice and path.


Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 28115
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby alt12 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:44 pm

lambert13 wrote:I understand the argument that it might not have been LSD. Expensive, difficult to make, even more difficult to come across if you don't make it yourself.

But, there are so many Research Chemicals out there of the hallucinogenic or dissociative variety. Cooked up in a bathtub anywhere from Chicago to China and relatively cheap. Not to mention legal (for now) and easily obtainable to those who seek them out.

I tend to think that most dosing stories are of the mistaken diagnosis variety. But, it does happen. And not just to young women.


I don't know about Albany, but let me tell you Lambert, its easy as shit to get acid out here in Cali. I could make a phone call and have some acid this afternoon if I wanted to... People sell vials of eye drops with 100s of hits of liquid acid in it for volume discounts....Its just not hard to get and in liquid format, very easy to distribute...
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Story,

I was in a training program.. It was on the intake ward of the state nut house.

They were hpolding a guy to see what was going on.. He would come down the hall hopping.. Saying he was Bugs Bunny.. Each day he seem to get worse or never better..

Then one day I sat and watched him
He would say: it's in the window.. Then he would look at his hands like he loved them.

After a while I called the heavy boys in and held him down.. Scraped the window pain off his finger nails. He had it applyed with clear polish.. He had also said something about a number of days each day.. He was counting downfrom 10..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10124
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Acid is a hell of a drug.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby ajs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:36 pm

alt12 wrote:I don't know about Albany, but let me tell you Lambert, its easy as shit to get acid out here in Cali. I could make a phone call and have some acid this afternoon if I wanted to... People sell vials of eye drops with 100s of hits of liquid acid in it for volume discounts....Its just not hard to get and in liquid format, very easy to distribute...
You are talking about LSD that has been diluted several thousand fold. As discussed previously, there is no evidence that LSD can be administered transdermaly, but if it can be, it's in the form of pure crystal. (And again, the amount of pure compound needed to fill a spray bottle would be somewhere in the neighborhood of what the org pays BLM for rental fees.) It is well established that the liquid you are talking about has zero effect transdermally, even if you emptied an entire vial on your skin.
ajs
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Postby ajs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Kiro wrote:The fact that sometimes, someone with a vial of LSD might turn out to be an idiot or an asshole is sad, but far from unbelievable. Like anything in life, it's not hard to get liquid acid if you know the right people, and I've heard of this exact thing happening at events in my area. It makes me very angry to hear about it, you can have the most horrific trips when unaware of what's happening.

Like others have said, even someone asking if you'd like to be sprayed could be that one asshole, and wrestling everyone to the ground that sprays us might get tiresome eventually. At least in a place like Black Rock City, you have to assume anyone doing this repeatedly will get caught pretty quickly.
See my post above. I agree with your logic that someone doing this would get caught quickly - the reason such a culprit has never been found is because spray bottle dosing has never actually occurred, ever, anywhere.
ajs
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Postby ajs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm

lambert13 wrote:I understand the argument that it might not have been LSD. Expensive, difficult to make, even more difficult to come across if you don't make it yourself.

But, there are so many Research Chemicals out there of the hallucinogenic or dissociative variety. Cooked up in a bathtub anywhere from Chicago to China and relatively cheap. Not to mention legal (for now) and easily obtainable to those who seek them out.

I tend to think that most dosing stories are of the mistaken diagnosis variety. But, it does happen. And not just to young women.
No question dosing happens, but not via spray bottle. The only even moderately common RCs that are potent in the sub-milligram range are the DOx series, which are not thought to be active transdermally, plus dose ranges are still at least 10x LSD, which means you'd need a lot more pure compound. So, no.
ajs
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:23 pm

I have read *ahem* that LSD and booze don't go well together.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16577
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I have read *ahem* that LSD and booze don't go well together.


Man, Is that a spider I see on your forhead?.. I will kill it with a hammer.. OK? oh the colors the colors
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10124
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby dana » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:59 pm

ajs wrote: No question dosing happens, but not via spray bottle. The only even moderately common RCs that are potent in the sub-milligram range are the DOx series, which are not thought to be active transdermally, plus dose ranges are still at least 10x LSD, which means you'd need a lot more pure compound. So, no.


A couple people already pointed it out - an aerosol is not absorbed through the skin (transdermal) but through your eyes. The conjunctiva is a very quick and efficient way to absorb acid and any other significantly potent hallucinogen. All kinds of drugs could be absorbed through the conjunctiva. Where are most people spraying? Your face mostly. It would be extremely easy if you were so inclined but LSD would probably be the far most likely.

I take precautions and don't share any food or drink unless it's with sober neighbors that I trust. It's not a matter of paranoia, just being careful. I trust everyone out there until I see a reason not to (sometimes immediately evident...)
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Boulder,Colorado/Northern California

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

dana wrote:
ajs wrote: No question dosing happens, but not via spray bottle. The only even moderately common RCs that are potent in the sub-milligram range are the DOx series, which are not thought to be active transdermally, plus dose ranges are still at least 10x LSD, which means you'd need a lot more pure compound. So, no.


A couple people already pointed it out - an aerosol is not absorbed through the skin (transdermal) but through your eyes. The conjunctiva is a very quick and efficient way to absorb acid and any other significantly potent hallucinogen. All kinds of drugs could be absorbed through the conjunctiva. Where are most people spraying? Your face mostly. It would be extremely easy if you were so inclined but LSD would probably be the far most likely.

I take precautions and don't share any food or drink unless it's with sober neighbors that I trust. It's not a matter of paranoia, just being careful. I trust everyone out there until I see a reason not to (sometimes immediately evident...)


thanks for re-iterating the facts. Scott pretty much had your approach. He still got dosed at decomp once.

And this is why you should ask before spritzing. And wait for them to say "Yes."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40267
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby dana » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
dana wrote:
ajs wrote: No question dosing happens, but not via spray bottle. The only even moderately common RCs that are potent in the sub-milligram range are the DOx series, which are not thought to be active transdermally, plus dose ranges are still at least 10x LSD, which means you'd need a lot more pure compound. So, no.


A couple people already pointed it out - an aerosol is not absorbed through the skin (transdermal) but through your eyes. The conjunctiva is a very quick and efficient way to absorb acid and any other significantly potent hallucinogen. All kinds of drugs could be absorbed through the conjunctiva. Where are most people spraying? Your face mostly. It would be extremely easy if you were so inclined but LSD would probably be the far most likely.

I take precautions and don't share any food or drink unless it's with sober neighbors that I trust. It's not a matter of paranoia, just being careful. I trust everyone out there until I see a reason not to (sometimes immediately evident...)


thanks for re-iterating the facts. Scott pretty much had your approach. He still got dosed at decomp once.

And this is why you should ask before spritzing. And wait for them to say "Yes."


Actually I suspect dosing of LSD via aerosol would be extremely unlikely. You'd probably have to have 2-8 doses (100mcg each dose) per spritz which means they'd be carrying a LOT of LSD around. Eyes, nasal mucosa, and open mouth with a goofy grin would be the target.

I know about getting dosed, and in my case it was pure stupidity. Ran out of water and rather than riding back to camp I asked someone for some. The woman was a little peculiar about the water in retrospect.
Looong creepy night on unknown drug. I still learn shit the hard way sometimes.
I think the worst is after you've had a few drinks and stop paying good attention to what's going on around you.
User avatar
dana
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Boulder,Colorado/Northern California

Postby miller gd » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:20 am

I certainly got dosed without consent , my first burn. I am pretty sure was in a drink i was given. Trip lasted about 12 hours. Never had any hallucinogens before, was very enlightening. Had a VERY long converstion with THE MAN. He danced for me. Lovely. Nice guy. Bit scary being like 100ft tall and all.
Will be back next year. Need to talk more.
Miller.
miller gd
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 am

Postby knowmad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

miller gd wrote:I certainly got dosed without consent , my first burn. I am pretty sure was in a drink i was given. Trip lasted about 12 hours. Never had any hallucinogens before, was very enlightening. Had a VERY long converstion with THE MAN. He danced for me. Lovely. Nice guy. Bit scary being like 100ft tall and all.
Will be back next year. Need to talk more.
Miller.


I'm certain it was the Spaghetti Monster, I saw it's noodely appendage!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Casanova » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 pm

i wished i could have found the guy with the LSD bottle while i was there.. lol, wasn't alot of it going around.
User avatar
Casanova
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hellfire Society

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 am

Casanova wrote:i wished i could have found the guy with the LSD bottle while i was there.. lol, wasn't alot of it going around.


That's why you're supposed to be radically self-reliant and bring your own.

You do know law enforcement reads this board too, don't you?
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 18291
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 am

AntiM wrote:You do know law enforcement reads this board too, don't you?


Speaking as a moderator, what's your point?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 am

Bob wrote:
AntiM wrote:You do know law enforcement reads this board too, don't you?


Speaking as a moderator, what's your point?


Okay, not speaking as a moderator: sheesh.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 18291
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron