"Top Shelf Crew?"

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
zcassidy

"Top Shelf Crew?"

Post by zcassidy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Hello All,

This was my second burn and somehow it was more fantastic than my first. I have seen a lot of threads on here about negative experiences like the amount of MOOP, people getting dosed, tourists, etc. etc. I have my concerns and I share many of yours. However, I wanted to share an inspirational story with all of you who will hear.

On Monday night I set out with my pal Pickles and we rode our bikes from 815 and B down Esplanade toward center camp. Cruising the Esplanade is one of my favorite things to do when the sun has just set. We stopped at the flower/tower structure and decided to climb it. When we found the portal halfway up which would take you into the bulb cage we kept on climbing. After taking in the view from the bulb I noticed how you could watch someone (and hear their footsteps) as they climbed up the portal ladder. I told my friend, "Ok before the next person gets up here lets turn our backs to them (total ignore) and wait a beat. Once, they have put their feet down on the platform we will swing around and sing them a welcome song." He was like, "great idea! but whats the song?" And I sang, "Welcome to the Top Shelf Crew, we're glad you made it, we've been waiting for you!" We began doing this and people were having a blast! We stayed up there for over an hour and it got crowded in the Top Shelf Crew. The more participants we had the more surprised our costumer were! When we left I told two guys who were especially enthusiastic about the TSC to carry on the tradition...

Two days later I didn't think much of the TSC. Back at our camp we built a scaffolding with a nice view of Esplanade and one of my neighbors climbed up. I decided to surprise him with the TSC song. After I finished he replied, "dude I here that song on every tower." I was like, "No you don't!" He told me that people were singing it at the flower/tower the night before (one night after it began). He also told me that I got the words wrong! This made me reflect on how how the details of an event will slowly unravel but somehow the tradition continues. Overall, I was ecstatic to hear that this little idea gathered strength and that more people got to enjoy the Top Shelf Crew!

Keep your ears pealed for the sound of the Top Shelf Crew next year!
Be absurd with your goodness

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Cool...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 am

That's hilarious. I love it when the playa folds back in on itself.

I was meditating one day at HeeBGBs and out of nowhere I suddenly became aware of the street noise. I then heard someone walking by the tent talking about this genius chick he met the night before. He then started to describe me. I rolled back into meditation with a smile.

Return to “Stories”