your favorite tale of 2010

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
accordionMan

your favorite tale of 2010

Post by accordionMan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:21 am

It seems that I have a favorite story to tell every year when I return.

Let me share my favorite 2010 BM story with you.

I'm having fun playing my accordion at the corner of 5:30 and A where this guy is serving free home brewed beer to a large crowd of folks.

Now some people really love hearing my accordion on the playa and some do not. Some are "on the fence". They think that they should make a joke about the accordion. So, this guy starts taking to me and his attitude is such that I'm waiting for a "dig" something like "where's your monkey". ( For the record, monkeys hang out with organ grinders not accordion players!)

Well, I tell this guy what a great instrument the accordion is... very versatile, you can play practically any kind of music on it, blah blah blah AND that it's a Chick Magnet!

"No funkin' way" he says.

Then as if on cue, a cute blond hair girl rides up fast on her bike and screams at the top of her lungs...

"I've been looking for you all over the playa!!!!"

I thought I knew her so I said "give me a hug" (kinda difficult with an accordion on, but I have practice doing this, and it turns out I didn't know her).

Anyway, I start playing some rock on my accordion and she starts dancing with wild abandon. I look over at the guy who just 2 seconds earlier said "No funkin' way" and I see his eyeballs popping out of his head, his jaw dropped and his tongue hanging out like he was from a cartoon.

About 10 minutes later the girl goes off for a beer and the guy comes over to me and says "I thought I was the big dog, but you are".

I replied.. "time to take up accordion lessons".

Soooooo... what's your favorite story that you can't wait to share?
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 am

*you, sir, are my hero*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 am

Here's a gorgeous accordion lover from a few years back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwAcxvzC61w
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 am

Okay, I've got a story. I've been wanting to do this for many years, but for the first time this year I took an "official" art tour put on by The Artery. It was a pretty hot day and the tour started at 11 am. They loaded us on to 5 different art cars. I was on the Kazbus. On top. Next to me was a very unhappy, bitchy girl and her boyfriend. As time went on, she got more and more uncomfortable and whiney. But she did seem to appreciate the art and at one point got up to take a photo.

While she was gone, an utterly beautiful, delicate asian woman dressed in colorful silk kimono and scarves and a wide silk hat (i'll try to post a photo at the end of this story) tip-toed upstairs (she was wearing super high heels). She floated like an apparition right to the spot where the whiny woman had just been. The asian princess didn't know she was "taking" this girl's "spot". The girl comes back. You can see she is angry. She nudges her way back into "her spot", inching the asian woman into a really squished position, even though there is plenty of room in other areas of the bus.

The asian woman sits down and starts rummaging through her bag. Then her male companion comes up the stairs and she says to him, "I need a teal scarf". He says, "Teal?" then starts rummaging through a bag he is carrying. I realize it is HER second bag. He keeps pulling out scarves and saying , "Like this?" and she keeps saying "No, more blue" or "More green".

The people around me on the bus are rolling their eyes at this point. Two crazy high-maintenance women in one spot was a little much.

Finally the companion pulls out a scarf and says, "How about this?" And the woman says, "That's perfect" and she takes the scarf and drapes it over the bitchy woman's shoulders. The scarf perfectly matches the bitchy woman's outfit. The asian woman says, "You look a little sunburned...here, this will help keep you cooler and more protected."
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 am

mars wrote:Okay, I've got a story. I've been wanting to do this for many years, but for the first time this year I took an "official" art tour put on by The Artery. It was a pretty hot day and the tour started at 11 am. They loaded us on to 5 different art cars. I was on the Kazbus. On top. Next to me was a very unhappy, bitchy girl and her boyfriend. As time went on, she got more and more uncomfortable and whiney. But she did seem to appreciate the art and at one point got up to take a photo.

While she was gone, an utterly beautiful, delicate asian woman dressed in colorful silk kimono ans scarves and a wide silk hat (i'll try to post a photo at the end of this story) tip-toed upstairs (she was wearing super high heals). She floated like an apparition right to the spot where the whiny woman had just been. The asian princess didn't know she was "taking" this gir's "spot". The girl comes back. You can see she is angry. She nudges her way back into "her spot", inching the asian woman into a really squished position, even though there is plenty of room in other areas of the bus.

The asian woman sits down and starts rummaging through her bag. Then her male companion comes up the stairs and she says to him, "I need a teal scarf". He says, "Teal?" then starts rummaging through a bag he is carrying. I realize it is HER second bag. He keeps pulling out scarves and saying , "Like this?" and she keeps saying "No, more blue" or "More green".

The people around me on the bus are rolling their eyes at this point. Two crazy high maintenance women in one spot was a little much.

Finally the companion pulls out a scarf and says, "How about this?" And the woman says, "That's perfect" and she takes the scarf and drapes it over the bitchy woman's shoulders. The scarf perfectly matches the bitchy woman's outfit. The asian woman says, "You look a little sunburned...here, this will help keep you cooler and more protected."
That's awesome Mars! What happened after that? Did Bitchy #1 change her attitude?

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 am

No, she didn't change her attitude but it effected the attitudes of everyone around who was watching all this happen.

I don't know how to attach a photo, but here's an attempt:

[img]/Users/marseamarcos/Desktop/R1-13A_3.jpg[/img]

It's not working...can someone tell me how to do it?
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 pm

You need the full URL for the picture for the image tags.

If you can't get it to work, you can send me the link and I can rehost it for you.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

mars wrote:I don't know how to attach a photo, but here's an attempt:

[img]/Users/marseamarcos/Desktop/R1-13A_3.jpg[/img]

It's not working...can someone tell me how to do it?
It looks like you're trying to post a picture from your computer- this site can't do that. The photo has to be hosted somewhere online (Flickr, photobucket, your own website, etc...) and then you can link to it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mars

Post by mars » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:43 pm

okay...here it is on flickr:

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Looks Vietnamese. <3

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:51 pm

I got to go up in the hot air balloon that ramdomly landed right next to me on wednesday or thursday night. Dude took us up about 100 ft. 'Nuff said.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:44 pm

One of MY favorite stories is,, We have a camp called Metro Mart & this guy in a funny looking white hat comes up looking for some paper plates. He had a big black bag & some story about getting ketchup on his thighs. :roll:
AnyWho, we grab him a few plates & he whips out this accordion and plays some AWESOME rock and roll for us!! :D

Thanks AccordionMan! (btw. I was the dancing lady smacking her own ass)
don't forget to floss

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:22 pm

A lot gets lost in the translation for this...one of those ya gotta be there...

Two of the guys riding to the Burn with us this year go to buy some beer during the trip to the playa...one from the east coast, the other from Alberta...not familiar with Coors. Ends up they both bought non-alcoholic Coors and didn't notice until we got to the playa.

The funny part is this: seeing no point in drinking non-alcoholic beer, they decide to make a gift of their beer to the AA camp on playa, only to be "thanked, but no thanked" by the AA camp members...just the image of these two showing up to do their good deed for the day is priceless.

At least the AA guys were nice about it....understood they had nothing but good intentions...just didn't have their thinking caps on at the moment.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

dragonpilot wrote: The funny part is this: seeing no point in drinking non-alcoholic beer
i'd save it for teh DPW pile @ exodus :twisted:

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 pm

All my best stories are either NSFW or potentially self incriminating.

..and yes.. there were LOTS.

:twisted:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Edana

Post by Edana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Another one that you probably had to be there for.

We camped in Kidsville with our 3yr old and 5yr old. One morning my husband stumbles out of our teepee half dressed and half awake.

Me: Good Morning darling, your children are about to go paragliding.
His face registers an awesome look of shock, disbelief, surprise, and WTF?
Him: Morning.....Wait.......WHAT?

(One of the Kidsville dad was strapping kids into a paraglide harness and then ran through Kidsville to catch some of the wind. Kids were airborne for a few moments and had great fun of course
Pics of paragliding:

).

FireShaman
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Pillow Punch

Post by FireShaman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:16 am

Riding up to BlissDance on Tuesday at sunrise and finding this guy making GIANT bubbles. He brings his bubble making stuff every year, but it's always too dry to work. But because of the rain monday he FINALLY got to make his bubbles.....

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:22 am

Friday night a friend an i are riding around and get to the shadow globe. She stops to go up to it while i stay on my bike longingly watching her.

A couple french people walk by talking bout god knows what and totally ruins my experience. after we leave we are riding towards the temple when 2 gas go-peds done up like frogs drive by us.

Fuckin' frogs
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:29 am

There's a big crowd of people sitting around watching something but everyone around the edges is tall and standing up so I can't see what they're watching.

But then I notice that someone is recording it and I can see the fire dancers in their viewfinder monitor, so I watch that.

Then a super tall guy with broad shoulders notices me and asks if I can see. I show him that I'm watching on the video camera. He gestures that I can climb on his shoulders and so I do. I sit up there for about 20 minutes with the BEST view. He puts glowy bracelets on my wrists/pasterns as I sit up there. When it's over I jump down and we lose each other in the crowd.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 am

My brother in law from the Netherlands (his virgin year) had a very interesting first day - aside from the wind, dust and rain. We were talking to a guy who was doing body stamping. A young lady over heard us talking about body paint and decided she wanted some done. We asked her where. She hiked up her dress and said she just had a Brazilian done and wanted some decoration. When she left, she was definitely decorated. Hans misunderstood and thought she was from Brazil. Now is definitely knows what a Brazilian is :twisted:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:41 am

And you let this degenerate marry your sister!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:45 am

Leaning up against the leeward side of the temple relaxing. An art car drove up and parked about 100 feet away and a dust storm rolled in. I could see the big wisps of dust rolling over the temple and swirling around me. The art car started playing "riders on the storm" and a couple of people with huge feather(?) mohawks and barbarian garb started dancing on top of the car. They would fade in and out of the dust sometimes becoming completely invisible. Perfectly random moment but is still my favorite memory of this year.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

theCryptofishist wrote:And you let this degenerate marry your sister!
Actual we married sisters and we are both dity old men. The family was from the Netherlands. His wife stayed with the family in the Netherlands. My wife came to the US.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:27 am

This dirty old man that was part of our camp kept wearing these golden walnuts tied on a string around his neck. One afternoon he was on our street handing out beads to passersby, he'd ask the women to fondle his nuts (golden walnuts) to get the beads. Well one woman unzipped his pants, stuck her hand in and started fondling, dirty old man got a little flustered! F'ing hilarious! :lol:

googbox

Post by googbox » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:29 am

I actually have a few.

Tuesday- my best friend and I were in our tutus walking the city. We were exploring the back streets and we ran across a little older man pushing a cart that said love. I ran up singing "I LOVE love!" he stopped, he had all sorts of snacks in his cart. We chatted for a while, he is a longtime burner, and had such an amazing, warm, caring, loving energy. After a bit he tells us that he has something special for us, he opens up a secret compartment in his cart, and pulls out 2 handmade toy burning mans. So special, each one must've taken him a while to make. His stories about why he comes to burning man really inspired us. Thank you love cart man!

Another favorite story from this year really just was one of those things that makes you realize how special the playa is especially compared to the default world. I'm not much of a drinker. Well Saturday night, I decided that it was time I got good and drunk. Of course not eating all day, little sleep, and strong drinks hit me hard. While we were waiting for the man to burn, I started feeling woozy and had to sit. My friends sat next to me, and I asked if I could rest my head on her lap. So I wound up taking a bit of a nap so to speak on her lap. Although I was passed out, I could hear everything going on around me. Some guy walked into me. In the default world, I could imagine somebody getting pissed about me passed out. Out there though, the guy lit up my feet, positioned him and his girlfriend to create a barrier so nobody else would walk into me, and put a blanket over me. He introduced himself to my friends as Essential. When I finally came to, but was still wobbly, he helped me up, offered to let me lean on him, and told me to keep the blanket.

This year, I saw a lot of amazing art and a lot of beauty, but the things that have stuck w/ me the most are the moments where heartfelt love and caring was shared.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 am

LostinReno wrote:This dirty old man that was part of our camp kept wearing these golden walnuts tied on a string around his neck. One afternoon he was on our street handing out beads to passersby, he'd ask the women to fondle his nuts (golden walnuts) to get the beads. Well one woman unzipped his pants, stuck her hand in and started fondling, dirty old man got a little flustered! F'ing hilarious! :lol:
Hmmmm - that story sounds kinda familiar - wonder why :twisted:

Janet Planet
Camp Name: Sugar and Salt

Post by Janet Planet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:33 am

googbox wrote:I actually have a few.

Tuesday- my best friend and I were in our tutus walking the city. We were exploring the back streets and we ran across a little older man pushing a cart that said love. I ran up singing "I LOVE love!" he stopped, he had all sorts of snacks in his cart. We chatted for a while, he is a longtime burner, and had such an amazing, warm, caring, loving energy. After a bit he tells us that he has something special for us, he opens up a secret compartment in his cart, and pulls out 2 handmade toy burning mans. So special, each one must've taken him a while to make. His stories about why he comes to burning man really inspired us. Thank you love cart man!
Oh, LOVE Cart Man! I saw him too. What a sweetheart. He gave me a box of Crackerjacks, with one of his handmade toy burning mans as a prize in a little envelope glued to the box. Lovely lovely lovely!

Return to “Stories”