Anyone else bothered by huge white construction lights

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: Anyone else bothered by huge white construction lights

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:32 pm

aris wrote:Was it just me, or did those huge white lights on that flower piece on the playa completely DESTROY the illusion that the playa so wonderfully gives off at night.
Yeah. Typically I figure it's the Discovery Channel or whateverfuck Al Gore's network is doing out there. Seemed like it was especially a pain in the ass in 2005. Not only was the beautiful phoenix fire art was nullified by the giant trucks and floodlights all around, but it cast a bright white glow across the otherwise colorful Black Rock City.

It's typical of the media to think that because x-thousand units of their viewers will watch, they're more important than everybody else out there.

I'm actually getting really tired of reporters and half-baked TV "podcasts" running around with special badges and big cameras trying to sell ads by presuming to tell the world what Burning Man "is."

No problem otherwise, when they're necessary for preparing for the burn, etc.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:38 pm

EmilyD wrote:Actually those work lights helped us find our way back to camp during the dust storm on Friday night. If not for them we may have ended up in Utah.
That was all fucked up. We were over by Disorient and Opulent Temple. The lights were out. Our camp was at 9 and the lights were out so we followed some torches and figured, "just aim for music and you'll find the city." Spent about ten minutes walking toward the sound, and suddenly a giant fish art car comes bumping by out of the dust, and we realized we'd been following a moving target and had no idea where we were.

Then, like some sort of mushy, pinwheel-eye burner-devirgination story, we saw a light and wandered straight up to the man. The Man Saved My Fucking Burn.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Return to “Stories”