Looking for info on the RV full of Lamplighters on 395

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Looking for info on the RV full of Lamplighters on 395

Post by Karma » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 pm

I was coming home from BRC on Monday late afternoon when about 20 miles before Kramer Junction I passed a pretty seasoned looking RV that was at the beginning of one of the bigger grades on that stretch of 395 sitting in the slow lane and not moving. I could tell from the bikes they were coming back from BM and thought they might be out of gas or overheating.
I have a 27' toyhauler with plenty of fuel and water in it so I managed to find a spot to turn around and came back to see what was what.

Turns out they were Lamplighters on there way home to San Diego and though they thought there water pump was just acting up, I think this poor old RV (about 20 years old 20') was just over matched against the grade, age and its own weight (though the inside look stunningly comfortable in a chaotic hippie sorta way).
They said they were confident that if they could get to flat ground and mild grades, there little trooper of an RV would get them home.

After some brainstorming we decided I would try to pull them up the grade with my rig (2006 chevy 2500hd).
They came up with what turned out to be pretty bad ass rope and after tying there RV to the back of my trailer, my truck, an 8000lb toyhauler and there RV started crawling up the grade. I'll bet we were longer then most semi's and it must've looked pretty damn funny. I should've taken a pic.
Surprisingly, my truck managed to pull us up pretty easily and though I kept us at around 5 to 10 mph I probably could've done more if I was'nt worried about the ropes breaking.
So after about 2 1/2 miles of climb, we reached the peak.

It turned out there was a bit of confusion about how long the grade was and to my shock, 3 ppl who stepped off the RV to reduce weight during the initial pull and thought they would be able to just walk along next to us, got left at the bottom of the grade. My mirrors were not wide enough to see all the way back there and the RV driver had no way to signal me to stop.
So we disconnected there RV and I went back down the hill to find them. Turns out they got picked up by a local sheriff and were dropped off at the RV. Upon my return up the hill they were all re-united and pretty happy to be at the top.

I followed them into Kramer jct and then stayed behind them all the way to the 15 and 91 interchange where I turned off to Orange County and they disappeared into the traffic toward SD.

A stunningly strange experiance to say the least !!

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone knows who they might be and if they made it safely to San Diego.

That's it.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 am

as far as I am aware all of the lamplighters made it back safely to reality camp.

i will ask around and point in your direction...
Don't link to anything here!

queen_o_sheba

that was us

Post by queen_o_sheba » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:14 am

Ah, so GOOD to see your post Karma!

Thanks to your help we made it back to San Diego with no more issues (other than some slowness). Your help was a lifesaver that day!

This is one of the reasons we love our fellow Burners - they are people willing to step up and help out when needed, even for total strangers. Thank you so much for gifting your time and self!

Look us up at Lamplighters next year - Sheba and MagicMan. We will definitely think of a special gift for you - as you're a special person!!

Playa Hugs!
Sheba

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 am

It's mighty nice seeing someone live up to thier name, Karma.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 am

oneeyeddick wrote:It's mighty nice seeing someone live up to thier name, Karma.
shall I poke your eye out?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 am

:lol:

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 am

I only have one eye, please do not poke it out, Sir.

unless you meant......ooo.....LaLa.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Post by Karma » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Sheba !!
I'm very happy to see you made it home. That's a tough old RV !!
I'm glad I could help and I look forward to seeing y'all next year.

If y'all ever make it up to South Orange County, Look me up .

Chris.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Return to “Stories”