Elevated Uranium Levels in Black Rock Desert

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
evaphoto

Elevated Uranium Levels in Black Rock Desert

Post by evaphoto » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:40 pm

When I was reading about the nuclear tests being conducted in the Nevada desert in the 40's and 50's, about 2 years ago, i suddenly thought, what about all he dust one gets into his/her lungs during the week at Burning Man? Uranium has a radioactive half life of 250 000- 4.5 billion (!!!) years, depending on the type. Because of a suspected lead poisoning my doctor had me tested for toxic metals, which also shows Uranium and when the test came back, among other things my Uranium level was "very elevated" to a degree that the lab was questioning whether I had been to a nuclear plant or radioactive site, which wasn't the case - well, except Black Rock Desert. The desert is very rich in Uranium and I found this information at http://wikimapia.org/701341/Gerlach: [b]"Gerlach's drinking water sources include two springs on the western slope of the Granite Mountains, the Railroad Springs and Garden Springs. These springs produce a high quality water, with the exception of uranium contamination. Uranium concentrations in the Railroad and Garden Springs have been as high as 110 mg/L and 290 mg/L, respectively. The Radionuclides Rule, promulgated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on December 7, 2000, set a maximum contaminant level for uranium in drinking water at 30 mg/L. "[/b]. That is up to 10 times the maximum level, not to mention possible contamination of the sand through those nuclear tests. Does anybody else have issues with Uranium levels. I suppose I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for tha test that was performed to find something else out. I find it rather disturbing that 30 000 people might be exposed to a health risk like that. :shock:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

pathetic....same old shit year after year after year...

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:47 pm

contrary to popular opinion,

there is no extra charge for that, toots.
Frida Be You & Me

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:49 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Won't dispute what you are saying, but something is gonna kill you eventually' so why worry. Additionally, the government is issuing permits for the event, and if it were that dangerous, I wouldn't think they would issue an event permit for 60,000 people. It could open them up to a huge lawsuit, I would think.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

jkisha wrote:Won't dispute what you are saying, but something is gonna kill you eventually' so why worry. Additionally, the government is issuing permits for the event, and if it were that dangerous, I wouldn't think they would issue an event permit for 60,000 people. It could open them up to a huge lawsuit, I would think.

JK
My thoughts exactly. Does one not get exposed to more radiation flying one commercial flight across the US than one would if they attended BM for 5 years straight???

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:17 pm

The tests where in Southern Nevada.
Utah got most of the fall out.
Gerlach has had and overpriced water treatment plant
THAT WAS REQUIRED
for several years now.

YAWN......

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 pm

IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE ANYONE WOULD SUBJECT THEMSELVES TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! BILLIONS OF YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEPENDING ON THE TYPE.

IF I WERE YOU I'D NEVER GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT WHEN RADIONUCLIDES LEVELS EXCEED THE MAXIMUM CONTAMINANT LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:27 pm

The high levels from certain natural locations in Black Rock has been mentioned before.

As for the government not subjecting anyone to risk???
Seriously?

They solved the unsafe contamination levels in Denver by raising the limits.
The republicans in particular don't want the record of industrial chemical safety in total looked at too closely.
And you can bet the industry doesn't want anyone looking them over.

I don't know how dangerous it is, but it is not "one" of the risks, it is an additional risk, and avoidable.
It wouldn't hurt to know.

Many safe substances are deadly when inhaled at the same levels.
There is a huge difference between being near something, and inhaling it and carrying it home with you.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:35 pm

based on approx 15 years at the burn multiplied by gross weight (no pun intended) of accumulated nose gremlins minus actual amount inhaled and snorted intentionally or unintentionally plus amount eaten either in food or off of other humans equals me not having to use ANY lighting at night and still not be a darkwad.

how cool is that?

Frida Be You & Me

LLQchasm

Post by LLQchasm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 am

Just bring a gas mask... you don't want playa lung anyway.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 am

What fun.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 pm

That is up to 10 times the maximum level, not to mention possible contamination of the sand through those nuclear tests. Does anybody else have issues with Uranium levels.
The issue is being addressed. There is a water supply filtration station built exclusively to deal with the elevated levels of uranium in the local water supply.

There's also a misconception that the source of the primary isotopes (U238 and U235) in the water are the result of fallout from past bomb tests in Nevada. That's not the case. The uranium is naturally occurring and is associated with the granites emplacement in the region many millions of years ago combined with the relatively thin (and spreading) crust beneath the basin and range.
among other things my Uranium level was "very elevated" to a degree that the lab was questioning whether I had been to a nuclear plant or radioactive site, which wasn't the case - well, except Black Rock Desert.
Though I have no reason to not believe you I find that a routine test for toxic metals would reveal elevated levels of uranium related to your visit(s) to the playa. Epidemiological studies performed by both the feds and the state of Nevada suggest marginally elevated levels in those populations tested who live adjacent to any of a number of areas in western Nevada. FWIW I've been to the event 17 times in a row (often staying weeks before and after the official event) and am tested annually for multiple radioisotopes due to the nature of my job which includes handling uranium and transuranic isotopes. My tests - performed at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory and Los Alamos National Laboratory - consistently indicate no elevated levels of uranium.

Any chance you were in Iraq or any other military theater where depleted uranium was an issue?

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Hard to believe that a few pistascio shells and feather boas are a greater threat to the environment than A-bombs. But I'll take the AEC's word for it.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Hard to believe that a few pistascio shells and feather boas are a greater threat to the environment than A-bombs. But I'll take the AEC's word for it.
Oh but those shreds and shells might inhibit the development of our intelligently designed gigantic ants, gosh. We don't want to interfere with THEM, Doc.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Hard to believe that a few pistascio shells and feather boas are a greater threat to the environment than A-bombs. But I'll take the AEC's word for it.
Oh but those shreds and shells might inhibit the development of our intelligently designed gigantic ants, gosh. We don't want to interfere with THEM, Doc.
It's the brine shrimp and their relatives. I actually found an interesting discussion of what effects the event might have on them, but I haven't had time to read it yet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Dave_techie

Post by Dave_techie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 am

I'm the only member of my family who hasn't had cancer, AND I'm the only burner.....

Coincidence?

Perhaps.....

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:13 am

When we were kids, we lived at the China Lake Naval Weapons Testing Station in the high Mojave desert in the early 60s. I've lost two bothers to cancer, and I've had two cancers already myself. Sure, I know the colon cancer is genetic, as I've lost uncles and cousins to that. But between the family genetics and childhood exposure to god-knows-what, my DNA is so compromised that a few weeks at Black Rock won't make an iota of difference.

Not that I think it would anyway, but I can hardly worry myself to death over cancer sources. I'm fucking doomed, may as well embrace my mortality.

chris2010
Burning Since: 2010

Post by chris2010 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:02 am

I think if we did pick up some Radioactivity from the Playa dust we would set the detectors off at the airports, for those who flew home like me. I know I still had Playa dust covering most of my stuff and clothes....
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:24 am

you're worried about atomic testing?
Don't you realize, BRC is basically downwind from Susanville?

A little AEC party in the past is nothing.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 am

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:14 pm

I've lived in Northern Nevada almost my entire life. It took 38 years before they had to take the thyroid out. Eh...you'll be fine! :roll:

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 pm

LostinReno wrote:I've lived in Northern Nevada almost my entire life. It took 38 years before they had to take the thyroid out. Eh...you'll be fine! :roll:
Well that's reassuring...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:45 pm

teardropper wrote:
LostinReno wrote:I've lived in Northern Nevada almost my entire life. It took 38 years before they had to take the thyroid out. Eh...you'll be fine! :roll:
Even more reassuring when they tell you that heredity and/or radiation exposure is what caused it. No one else in my family has a history of thyroid issues. Nevada/Utah have a much greater percentage of thyroid problems than anywhere else in the US. Much like Chernobyl. :?
I don't think two weeks on the playa is going to do you in. :wink:

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Hey LIR - I've seen you glow at night. Now I know why :shock:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

LostinReno wrote:
teardropper wrote:
Even more reassuring when they tell you that heredity and/or radiation exposure is what caused it. No one else in my family has a history of thyroid issues. Nevada/Utah have a much greater percentage of thyroid problems than anywhere else in the US. Much like Chernobyl. :?
I don't think two weeks on the playa is going to do you in. :wink:
I was listening to an NPR story recently had my mind blown, the world's third largest nuclear disaster *ever* occurred in Southern California in Santa Susana pass between Simi Valley and the San Fernando Valley, both well populated areas. I grew up in the Simi Valley area.

Turns out this nuclear accident was larger than 3 Mile Island even. Yet the public was never told, nobody knew about it. And people began to die of cancer in greater numbers than normal some years later...

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?p ... egmentID=1

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I too am amazed at how little that incident is known my average Americans - especially Californians.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm

geospyder wrote:Hey LIR - I've seen you glow at night. Now I know why :shock:
Hmmm....just think, if the levels were high enough we'd have no more darkwad issues.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Isotopia...

it does not surprise me.

the dumbing down of America and the realization that nobody gives a shit about history, hell, in a facebook-driven constant stream of new content self feedback loop society nobody even REMEMBERS 15 minutes ago.

and hence, no one cares.

now where is my bottle of Love canal Springs Premium water?
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Marscrumbs

I've been going for years.

Post by Marscrumbs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I bring my own food, water and my geiger counter to the Playa. Doesn't everybody?

Return to “Stories”