Have you been dosed?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Have you ever been 'dosed' without warning?

Yes
7%
Yes
7%
No
38%
No
38%
Not sure
5%
Not sure
5%

Total votes: 208

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:56 am

I was wondering why that roofie I slipped in that sorority girl's vodka/cranberry didn't work...
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:38 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:I was wondering why that roofie I slipped in that sorority girl's vodka/cranberry didn't work...
According to the movies I watch, you wouldn't have needed the roofie. Sorority girls are always latent lesbians that prance around in either leather, latex, lacy lingerie, or garter belts. That is, when they are not wearing thier tight mini-skirt schoolgirl outfits. They seem to be undecided though, as they tend to molest any pizza delivery/plumber/headmaster/cable guy that comes around.

I know this to be true as I seen it on my TV set. Almost as good a factual source as the Internet, right?
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:14 pm

you'd probablybe ok so long as you watch your drink, which you should do anywhere and everywhere.

that said, it can happen before said drink is in your hands.

i was drugged in Rome... luckily was with a group who got me back to the hostel safely. i remember how prettily the room was spinning... but i don't remember much of the night even though i didn't drink much. back alley... random americans...walking and walking and walking.... very dizzy... i don't know anymore....

the weirdest part is that i was totally loopy the next morning at the vatican. ever gone to the pope's house stoned?

regardless, it was a close call.
surlier than thou

orangepeelmoses

surprise doses

Post by orangepeelmoses » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:39 am

a fellow orange julius employee
slapped liquid acid in my hand
just before my roomie and eye
began our first ever twenty hour drive to the desert.

opm

jesus was an alien ReMiX
http://www.facebook.com/Orangepeelmoses

vulgaris

Post by vulgaris » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:45 pm

Three eyed puppies like to fly...

Dosing people who don't know it is going to happen. That is like throwing a kitten, just because it might land on its feet doesn't mean you should have thrown it... OK that was a mean analogy, nobody throw kittens, kittens need to be pet.

When my cat wants to be pet, it bites me.

But it does not make me hallucinate.

Lysergic

heh

Post by Lysergic » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:33 pm

Where's the Dose Super Soaker this year? I'd gladly be shot for this cause.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:52 pm

It's a wonder no one wonders whether someone might dose your PBR with a full load of tobacco juice.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

PetsUntilEaten

drugged

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:52 pm

I was never drugged in BRC.

However, I WAS drugged when I was about 7 years old. By all accounts that night I was the only one in my family to eat salad from the salad bar at Pasadena Shakey's Pizza. I started trippping as I lay in bed. All my parents bedroom furniture walked in on its own legs - I told it to go back. I thought that's what people meant when they said "don't let your imagination run away with you." I hallucinated for two days. My parents didn't figure it out till the next morning. I suppose it could have been a weird chemical reaction - or not.

And Bankok - I was 19. Sealed bottled soda drinks. Empty glasses must have been lined or the bottles resealed. As I sat with a gem dealer who seemed to be buying time - I turned my head & saw trails. My friend realized he was drugged about the same time & we ran out & to our guest house & started pounding rice & water. My pulse slowed to a frightening rate.

I have heard a story about a BRC bartender who overturned a girls glass after he saw a guy drop something in a girl's drink. The pill went onto the bar & they grabbed the guy.

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:42 am

That is fucking weak. I would beat the living shit out of anyone I saw try to do that. I mean what the fuck? How in your twisted psycho mind could anyone think that shit was cool?

I would not dig it if I got dosed with Acid, I mean I'll do such things of mown volition, but I gotta be ready for and wanting to do it. Would anybody really be happy to get an acid trip they didn't want and weren't expecting?

lookout

one time...at BurningMan

Post by lookout » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:45 am

Someone slipped me some ibuprofen back in 99', I have been headache free eversince.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:38 am

There's also the occasional comments from some folks who have witnessed guys trying to dose women with date rape type drugs. Supposedly one such incident was witnessed last year by a group and the problem was taken care of 'appropriately' by members of the camp who were notifed of the incident. Don't know if the perp will be returning this year seeing as there's no update on his recovery.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:09 pm

In my experience (extensive drug experience - sparse BM experience) drugs cost money. It's hard to come by them free even when you're the person that made them/grew them/whatever them. It's hard to find people who are willing to force you to take their money or something represented by it. Yes, at Burning Man, we trade and offer gifts and stuff, but that's not so much a tricky thing as a mutual thing.

The fantasy of people shoving pills down one another's necks or spraying someone in the ear with a big ole dose of the LSD are strictly from ABC afterschool specials. Sure, it happens/has happened, but it's rare, like finding a razor blade in your Halloween candy.

I'm not going to worry about it and if I just happen to get squirted or someone farts a mushroom spore on me, I'll take two deep breaths, go find a black light or some neon, and chill out. If I have to, I'll go sleep it off. If I'm real worried, I'll calmly walk to the medicine tent. It takes awhile for drugs - even really good ones - to come on. So just relax.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:03 pm

The fantasy of people shoving pills down one another's necks or spraying someone in the ear with a big ole dose of the LSD are strictly from ABC afterschool specials.
Actually they're not. REMSA records will substantiate the claim.

Dosing happens. Not a lot but enough to keep the EMTs engaged periodically throughout the event.
Desert dogs drink deep.

blyslv

Re: drugged

Post by blyslv » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:11 pm

PetsUntilEaten wrote:
However, I WAS drugged when I was about 7 years old. .
That explains a lot.

I know I know I owe you one. Beleive it or not it keeps me up at night.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:12 pm

kiddo wrote:mown volition,
What happened when the monk decided to shave her head?

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:14 pm

I wonder if people who over-indulge sometimes say they've been dosed to avoid the onus of having OD'd.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:39 pm

Pets! You're back! I was just crushing you a couple weeks ago, but you've been off in 3playa/altplaya land (i assume). Good to see you!
surlier than thou

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:10 pm

blyslv wrote:I wonder if people who over-indulge sometimes say they've been dosed to avoid the onus of having OD'd.
I've wondered that too. Americans really like to blame other people.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:35 pm

I wonder if people who over-indulge sometimes say they've been dosed to avoid the onus of having OD'd.
Undoubtedly. Especially so if a SO comes back to camp to find someone in the same bed as their partner.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Lysergic

hey

Post by Lysergic » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:37 am

Agreed, drugs are expensive and hardly just handed out unless someone has other agendas. I wouldn't mind so much getting dosed randomly without knowing and would be able to cope, however it'd suck to get sedated to the point of passing out without being able to wake back up....date rape drugs are lame and date rape is fucking weak!
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:24 am

I wish all of the 6 people who answered "yes" would tell the story so people know what to look out for!

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:30 am

The maniacs do attend BM. See below:

Gordon Todd Skinner, along with his wife Krystle Ann Cole Skinner and William Ernest Hauck, an Oklahoma truck driver, have been charged with kidnapping, conspiracy to kindnap, torture of a teenager, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and drug trafficking. Allegedly the trio kidnapped a Broken Arrow 18 year old from a Tulsa hotel on or about July 4th. The teenager was a former companion of Ms. Skinner while she and her husband Gordon Todd Skinner were separated. The teen was held captive for 6 days in Oklahoma and Texas, beaten and injected with drugs as an act of revenge. See charges filed in Oklahoma. Gordon Todd Skinner was also arrested for unrelated charges in Nevada having to do with drug trafficking. Skinner was apprehended after attending Burning Man at Black Rock, Nevada.
A federal judge Monday ordered an Oklahoma man to spend four years in prison and complete 250 hours of community service for handing out the drug ecstasy at the Burning Man festival last summer. Gordon Todd Skinner, 39, also must remain under supervision for three years after his release under the sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge David Hagen.
And he must seek and complete drug treatment and submit to searches and drug testing, Hagen said.

“Your father didn’t do you any favors when he turned you on to drugs as a young kid,” the judge told Skinner after issuing the sentence.

Skinner said he was sorry to take up the judge’s time.

“I would like to apologize to the court for the inconvenience” his charge caused, he told the judge in a brief statement before sentencing.

While Skinner also faced up to $1 million in fines, Hagen declined to impose any such punishment. A report on Skinner’s financial situation showed that he “has no potential for any resources to pay a fine,” the judge said.

His lawyer, federal public defender Vito de la Cruz, had told the judge that Skinner has “essentially been in bankruptcy proceedings for a number of years.”

Skinner was indicted Sept. 3 by a federal grand jury on a single charge of possession with intent to distribute the drug ecstasy at the counterculture festival in the Black Rock Desert in August.

A search of his vehicle found about 10 ounces of ecstasy, U.S. Attorney Craig Denney said. He had been handing the pills out for free, Denney said.

Skinner pleaded guilty in March to the single count. In return, federal officials agreed to argue for a mid-range prison term instead of the maximum 57-month sentence.

Denney said four years was an adequate punishment.

“We believe that sentence will protect the community and hopefully deter Mr. Skinner from this type of conduct,” the prosecutor said.

Skinner isn’t expected to stay in the Nevada prison long, however.

The assistant district attorney for Tulsa County said Monday that he plans to extradite Skinner to Oklahoma as soon as possible to face kidnapping and assault charges.

Skinner is accused of tying up and torturing with chemical injections an 18-year-old man for six days in retaliation for sleeping with Skinner’s wife.

Assistant District Attorney David Robertson said Skinner faces charges of kidnapping, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, and assault and battery with a deadly weapon.

The deadly weapon, in this case, is a surgical needle, he said.

The kidnapping charge carries a maximum 15-year sentence, the conspiracy charge 10 years and the assault charge another 10 years, he said.

Copyright © 2004 The Reno Gazette-Journal
Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:33 pm

One of the things that I should note:

Liquid LSD is a bunch of potent stuff, but keep in mind this, and this alone:

Unless you're REALLY insane, the amount needed to mix with water to dose people without warning is approximately $3,000 in a single spray bottle. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - my very first Dead show, I was dosed without consent and immediately went to a police officer (fortunately, I knew him), and said, "Someone gave me something I don't like....whoa. Your head just turned orange."

Long story short - this guy had been dosing people left and right and causing major problems - got busted.

As a security guard and a bartender, I've got these rules for people who have drinks.

One: carry your own cup or mug with you at all times. Don't leave it unattended. Don't put it down. Don't lend it to someone.

When possible, use a narrow-mouth bottle. For fun times, I used to give out sippy cups - which were fantastic during shows, because...oops, no spillage!

If you carry a Nalgene, each time you cap it, twist it entirely shut. Don't let it leave your hands. (this also helps keep your beverage cold.

Have a drinking buddy. I mean this. Have someone watch you - and watch your drinking buddy. There's limits to this, but if your buddy starts sagging or changing behavior quickly, haul them out of there.

If someone doses you or a friend, quickly ask someone where the host is and point the dosing person out. Nonconsensual dosing is NOT allowed in my presence or at my camp, and will be treated harshly - to the point where I'll call in the heavy artillery (or what HA exists).

There's a few reasons for this: I'm personally allergic to marijuana. I cannot touch it or smell it without having a mild allergic reaction. If I consume it in any form, I have a violent allergic reaction to it that ranges from bright hives covering my body to a minor asthma attack.

Can I be in a room where people are smoking? Sure. It's not my problem. But if someone says, "It's a GOOD cookie" and I take a bite and swallow, then I ask what's in it, I am forcing myself to vomit because I don't know precisely what my body's reaction is going to be.

I don't care if someone else wants to take drugs - that's their decision, as it is mine to consume beer in abundance and dance the Viking belly roll on a beer keg. But I would never FORCE someone to drink beer.

Last thought:

BM is a one-week city of how many people? 35,000? 40,000? In the city of Corvallis, Oregon (perhaps 50,000), there is one or more homicides or kidnappings per year. Assaults, drugs, and more keep the little college town going all year long.

When you look at how many crazies there are out of smaller towns than BRC, we're doing JUST fine.
BANANAPHONE!

BLFD1

Yes, it happens...

Post by BLFD1 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:04 pm

Yes it has, and does happen. One of the members of the Emergency Services Dept. got dosed via spray bottle during the burn last year.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:22 am

And to think, I know kids who spent four days trying to buy acid last year, when all they had to do was stand around and look like they didn't want any.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

sugarlarry

Post by sugarlarry » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:34 am

I was riding my bike past a camp a few years back when two little girls running a lemonade stand stopped me. I had a glass, chatted for a while, and just as I was riding off a little boy in their camp asked for a glass. One of the little girls grabbed it away from him, and said that "No! This is special juice for adults!"

It didn't taste boozy, and though I didn't feel any weirder after I drank it, I was never sure as to whether or not I'd just been dosed by a couple of kids.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:17 am

Have you considered pee?

SwitchbladeButterfly

Post by SwitchbladeButterfly » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:55 am

Fat SAM wrote: I'm not going to worry about it and if I just happen to get squirted or someone farts a mushroom spore on me, I'll take two deep breaths, go find a black light or some neon, and chill out. If I have to, I'll go sleep it off. If I'm real worried, I'll calmly walk to the medicine tent. It takes awhile for drugs - even really good ones - to come on. So just relax.

Er- not necessarily.... I got some badly made acid once (long time ago, galaxy far far away) that - not only did it make my heart beat so fast that my then boyfriend- who was *not* tripping - freaked because he could see it making my shirt flutter, but it also came on much faster than the expected 30-60 minutes.... In fact, I took it, lay down for a minute, go up and went to the bathroom, and suddenly didn't think I'd be able to open the door, 'cause it had hit HARD in about 5-10 minutes...

If you're nowhere near the med tent- or even *a* tent, period- keeping your cool may not be that easy if it's unexpected...

Starman97

Post by Starman97 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:40 pm

Re: 'bad acid'

either it is LSD or it's not going to affect you if it's in a spray bottle.
The effective dose of LSD is 100 micrograms, almost every other
drug out there is measured in milligrams, a 1000x increase in dosage.

Now it's it's some sort of tablet, who knows what the hell it could be..
Street drugs are scary enough, getting random drugs from strangers
at BM.. hell no!!

LSD really doesnt absorb that well through the skin, maybe if they hit
you in the eyes, nose or mouth, you will get some absorbtion, but it's
going to take a big dose, that person is going to have to have the equivalent
of 1000's of doses in the waterbottle to get an effective one spray high.

And frankly there isnt that much LSD on the market anymore since the
big lab bust a couple of years ago to waste like that. The stuff's rare and
a lot more expensive now.

I put this one down to myth, at least the random spraybottle dosings..

On the other hand on my fisrt visit to BRC, one hot day we were chilling
to some really nice ambient under a nice shade and the DJ came by
and offered us a 'cannabis cookie' , sure.. it lasted for the whole rest of
the day and well into the night, very nice.

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:49 am

My experiance is this...

When people are handing out cookies or candies, I ask "whats in this?"

The response is usually "Its just a cookie" or whatnot, but they know what I'm asking, and I've noticed other people ask the same thing. If theres something in there, they'll say "Its a green cookie, or magic cookie", or something to that effect.

I think its incredibly rare to waste a drug on someone who doesn't want it. Date rape drug situations, I'm sure are incredibly rare. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU SAW A GUY CARRYING A LIMP FEMALE BODY OR BARELY CONCIOUS AND WALKING BODY DOWN THE STREET AND HE WASN'T SCREAMING FOR MEDICAL HELP???

I get drug tested, so its a concern that I don't eat the wrong thing.

Its burningman, be careful, not paranoid.

Peace
If everyone in the ghetto were on mushrooms and E, the ghetto would be a place everyone would WANT to be.

Return to “Stories”