The last 30 days before you go.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 pm

I made a big dent in my preparation today by loading up the back of my truck. Got most of the stuff I'm bringing in there, with plenty of room for my bedding. Now as I find stuff that I should bring, I have a tote ready at my back door, and I just toss it in. By the end of next week (!) I'll be ready to do final loading - the bedding - and be off.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:52 pm

Tip for next year...

If you're sleeping in the back of a truck/SUV, lay down your bedding first — air mattress, bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket, coverlet, Indian bedspread (for dustproofing) — and pack on top of it. Then when you get to camp, unload, inflate the air mattress, and you have a bed ready to crash into whenever you hit your wall.
Now as I find stuff that I should bring, I have a tote ready at my back door, and I just toss it in.
Ahh, the ever-popular "Ooops! Almost forgot" bag :)
Right up there with the Open Me First and Open Me Last bags :D
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:49 pm

I made my killer rum concoction and set it aside to ripen, I made a bunch of spiced chicken and put it in freezer bags, this weekend I'm making enchiladas to freeze and jar cakes. I'll go through all camping equipment and get it packed and ready. Go through Playa Clothes to make any repairs.
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:17 pm

"If you're sleeping in the back of a truck/SUV, lay down your bedding first "

I sleep on it now. It's a 3' foam mattress. I had very bad luck w/ air mattresses in the past. It's worth the extra space in my truck for the mattress since I don't have to worry about deflation.

Just finished the last robe I'm bringing. Yeah! I'm so ready to go. I'm getting antsy at werq.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:25 pm

Found the food and kitchen totes, did all my staple food shopping. Sorted the booze. Been at the clothes all year, but I think larry hijacked the clothes tote for something else.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:24 am

Switching to Car Loading Plan B, whatever THAT is, after finding out that removing the front passenger seat will disable all the Element's airbags....Just have to actually PACK instead of randomly throwing things into the car as I remember them.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 am

Found the clothes tote, have all our costumes packed except for the hanging dresses and coats, and the mundane stuff like socks, bras and panties. (teehee). Have a nice bag of costumes to donate/give away. Need to do the shoes and boots and hats and scarves. And wigs. And wings and tiaras.

Can't pre-pack the trailer at all, it is an open flatbed and we've had thunder showers everyday now for four days. Ah well, can't pack until Larry gets here anyway.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:30 am

This year I am going minimalist. Originally I wasn't planning on going, but my wife has encouraged me to go. Unfortunately, I can only go for the last three days, so there's no need to bring everything with me this year. Just the bare essentials, packed into a single bag and tossed into the back of my soon-to-be-empty truck.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:18 am

3 days is better than none. I'm glad you're going. Minimalist is totally the way to go. Been doing that route since 2K. I just keep bringing less and less each year. So what happened? Issues at work?
I got 2 weeks paid vacation that I've saved all year so I can not only stay an extra day out there after most everyone's gone, but I can spend the rest of the 2nd week sleeping.

You've GOT to do one Perimeter shift, you know you want to. Where ya camping, Gigsville? I'll be at 9:00 & Ego, but you'll no doubt see my little red truck around town.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:07 pm

robbidobbs wrote:I got 2 weeks paid vacation that I've saved all year so I can not only stay an extra day out there after most everyone's gone, but I can spend the rest of the 2nd week sleeping.
Absolutely the way to do it if you can. One of the things I miss most about the job I got laid off from last year is that I'd been senior enough that I was getting 3wks a year, and I was able to bid on the time I wanted. I earmarked two weeks for the Burn, just like you, and still had another week for other stuff the rest of the year.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:32 am

I'll definitely be working both Gate and Perimeter. As many shifts as I can cram in 72 hours.

I'm also going to do a fair bit of trolling with the Pirates of the Gonorrean in the evening hours.

I dont know about taking a second week off, but at least a day or two before I have to go back to work is definitely the way to go.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:50 am

I'm kind of fond of slamming right back to work while my brain is still playafied. It emphasizes the contrast and makes the differentness stand out that much more sharply.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:39 am

TheJudge wrote:I'll definitely be working both Gate and Perimeter. As many shifts as I can cram in 72 hours. .
Excellent!

I just found out I have friday off also, which means I leave friday morning instead of friday midnight. FUCK! that leaves me only 3 days left to find a fucking housesitter.

Fuckin cripes!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 pm

*bump* for those of us heading out early.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Lambic

Post by Lambic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 am

I've been preparing for so long, maybe my entire life. Now that it's so close, I no longer feel attached to my current settings. I just can't focus on anything else, at all. Im quite mad.

In my mind I've created something like "The Burn, according to thought". I have glimpes of random thought, just clear enough to see myself in a situation I dont understand (presently), but any closer to analizing Im thrown right back at the gates, and there I stop. The only clear thing I see is the gate, and then it just ends, like fading to white/black.

And all along, I ask only, "Wha...?"

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 am

Lambic wrote:I've been preparing for so long, maybe my entire life. Now that it's so close, I no longer feel attached to my current settings. I just can't focus on anything else, at all. Im quite mad.

In my mind I've created something like "The Burn, according to thought". I have glimpes of random thought, just clear enough to see myself in a situation I dont understand (presently), but any closer to analizing Im thrown right back at the gates, and there I stop. The only clear thing I see is the gate, and then it just ends, like fading to white/black.

And all along, I ask only, "Wha...?"
Just don't speed through Nixon. 25mph MEANS 25mph!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Good way to burn a burn - get burned by a local LE.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:45 am

1 month-before preparation:
Physically-
As of the last few months, my jobs shifted me into graveyard shifts (10pm-7am). This will actually be a benefit, especially when I want to dance all night long! :D Also do heavy freight work/tons of walking to get stamina & endurance up. Eat as much high protein/carbs/calories to get a layer to b u r n. Start doubling caffeine intake.
Mentally-
Stay focused on getting camp equip together, try to pre-plan on last minute jazz. Think about what I want out of my week in the desert (make art, see art, drink & fornicate with expression). l i v e
Emotionally-
Last 4 years, I've gotten Reiki (Energy work) done beforehand to nuetralize and balance my center. Has helped immensily to see with a clearer vision in the dust. Excitement levels through the rough, almost panicked with daydreams...

1 week away:
Physically:
I'm newly calibrated.
Mentally:
Yes.
Emotionally:
Om.
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am

I'm there. I pull outta here on august 19th.

holy shit.

30 days,....hmmm

I'm going quite lite this year so it shouldn't be too difficult.

holy shit.
blow.

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Will be on playa august 23. swore id never go early again..oh well. L-lycine..here we go. Think Im ready, but deep down, I know I'm not
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:29 am

Me tooooooooo late 22 early morn AUG 23 !!!!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhheeeeee

went a Whole week early last year - just 24 hours this year...

Ohhh wellllll dear PLaya Next year a whole week early Again!!!!!

ahhhhhhhh I leave Hawaii AUG 11
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:15 am

i think we're arriving on the 23rd as well.

i've started my playa training with a little scrippy-flipping, followed up by some Slivovitz on ice, and for endurance, i'm going with Electro-shock therapy.

that's the mental.

for physical preparation, i pretty much keep to my normal diet of candy and cigarettes, maybe throw in some cheez-its for fibre.

on a spiritual level, i like to stick with the tried and true, and will begin self-flagellation, Iranian Shia stylee, one week before departure.

also, a short stint in the Kiddie Gambling room at Circus Circus Reno, there is this stuffed animal i REALLY want.
Frida Be You & Me

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:21 am

Ahhhh darn drunk last night I'm wrong late Aug 23-early Aug 24 yea you known 24hours Early.........

I Have Got 2 SUITcases Packed- thinking about mailing more STUFF (one suitcase and one box aready in Seattle)
'cause I like to have my coats on the PlAya- I get COoooooollllldddddd

Coats take up alot of room.....
and that darn fricking tackle BOX..... do I need ALL that stuff-but what do you leave out the bunny ears???( they take up alot of room) I could put them on the Pink COwboy Hat and wear them with my

purple wings ( I always wear- in and out of airport :twisted: :D )

Do you think the bunny ears, on the cowboy hat with the wings is TOOOOOooo much for my journey into the Airportsss???? LOL llloooooollll

ohhh I have to carry one of my really big coats
( If I don't mail more STUFF) ahhhh frick
I gotta go to the Post office.......
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Barbie wrote:Ahhhh darn drunk last night I'm wrong late Aug 23-early Aug 24 yea you known 24hours Early.........

I Have Got 2 SUITcases Packed- thinking about mailing more STUFF (one suitcase and one box aready in Seattle)
'cause I like to have my coats on the PlAya- I get COoooooollllldddddd

Coats take up alot of room.....
and that darn fricking tackle BOX..... do I need ALL that stuff-but what do you leave out the bunny ears???( they take up alot of room) I could put them on the Pink COwboy Hat and wear them with my

purple wings ( I always wear- in and out of airport :twisted: :D )

Do you think the bunny ears, on the cowboy hat with the wings is TOOOOOooo much for my journey into the Airportsss???? LOL llloooooollll

ohhh I have to carry one of my really big coats
( If I don't mail more STUFF) ahhhh frick
I gotta go to the Post office.......

drunk? think this is my first time sober on eplaya
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

sunn

Post by sunn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:53 pm

ohmigod we are so not ready this year. Last year we were painting and making flags and buying stuff and then left early. This year, no theme camp, no leaving early, boo hoo. But, the flip side is, a lot less work.
Still, it's creeping up all of a sudden and I'm realizing...what am I wearing for costumes this year? Gotta get packing the RV and getting ready! Yaaa!!!
Now my s.o. just looked up at me and asked, "What day did we get there last year?"
(How quickly they forget!)

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am

Thank you, on behalf of all of us virgin burners, it is kind of nice to know that you all get stressed out about packing too even though you have been there, it sort of makes my obsessive searching,buying, sewng, packing etc... seem a little (I said little) less insane. :D

honeyfire

Drink more water too.

Post by honeyfire » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:25 am

If you're coming from sea level, you might want to start upping your green veggie intake, especially that last week. Greens help your body to make the most of the available oxygen, and for some people coming from 0', the air can feel on the thin side...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Only thing i have left to buy is food and water in Fallon.

Maybe a couple more things of rebar...

I got all my camping stuff back in it's bins.

Got a sheet around the mesh of my tent and packed up...might test it out if i go camping in the next couple weekends..otherwise thats ready and we'll see how it unfolds....

bike is ready to go

im not really stressing much.... :)
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 pm

im not really stressing much...
well, i'm FREAKING THE FUCK OUT!

so much to do so much to do so much to do...

WHERE IS MY GODDAMN HOT GLUE GUN?!!

focus....calm...breathe...maybe watch a little tyra.....no.NO! NOOOOOOO!

MUST MAKE MORE LISTS!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Frida Be You & Me

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Putting the freshly-repainted bikes together, got 'em all whacked up and blinkie. ($20 flourescent-orange mountain bike at Goodwill. Just needed air in the tires. SCORE!)

Spent the last week copper-plating a darth vader helmet and a zydeco washboard.

My wife got her weird multi-flourescent one piece bell-bottom raver outfit in the mail yesterday. Too big. So she looked at me and holds it up: Me: "Uh...what?! Dude, are you serious?" Ten minutes later: DARTH RAVER THE COPPER-HEADED DUSTPUNK WILL RULE THE FUCKING PLAYA! LARRY, I'M YOUR FATHER! JOIN THE DARK SIDE YA NOB!

Making lists. Gotta fix the muffler and A/C on the vehicle. Boxing up two liters of the best motherfucking absinthe you've even considered drinking.
It's the new kewl-aid.

Now I have to pull our shade structure out from behind the shed, chase out all the creatures and see what needs to be duct taped together.

(add to list: duct tape.)
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Return to “Stories”