Temple Burn -- one hour of silence and reverence possible?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
gibson_

Re: Temple Burn -- one hour of silence and reverence possibl

Post by gibson_ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Bah, if anything that was a confused, overzealous temple guardian.

That's not what temple guardians are supposed to do, but the person might have been really new/confused about their role.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:I approached the temple for a look see a amid afternoon..

Was playing some soft 50's music on a boom box..

About 100 feet from the temple some dudewad said: turn the volume down.. Them a 50 feel, some old bitchwad come out to me and said: turn the volume down.it's the temple...

Well fuck oh dear.. I said (being nice): Lady this is the way I burn..

She was damn lucky I am on my chill pills.. It could have been a very different experience for her..
I want to get you a bumper sticker for your trike: "If it's too loud, you're too young!" :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Parts of jesus trike super star have been pulled out of the scrape pile..

It's going to be close to the ground.. So praise the lowered..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Eric wrote:
FossaFerox wrote:I will always resent the apparent spectators who don't get involved with anything if I feel like they're making my burn worse through their ignorance and resulting behavior.
They aren't making your Burn worse by their behavior - you are making it worse by letting other peoples actions dictate your reactions.
You know going in that people are going to do things that you might not approve of, so you can either (a) accept that and move on without focusing on someone being what you might consider an "asshole", or (b) get hung up on that "asshole", focus heavily on them, fume and fuss and get all cranky, and then blame them because you couldn't exert basic control over your emotions - even knowing this was going to happen going in.

I've said it over and over - if you need a particular "head space" for the Temple burn (or any burn), you know it's not going to happen in a crowd of 30,000+ people and it's your job to move yourself somewhere where you can get the environment you need - it's not the job of the other 29,999+ people to respect your wishes. That's what I do with both the Man & the Temple, and I haven't had a bad burn out of either of them in years.
this^

The temple is my thing more than the Man burning but I really think it's nuts to expect all those folk there to agree or agree to how it should be experienced. I get most of my interaction with the temple long before it burns. In fact next year if I manage to get a ticket I'll likely leave on Saturday before either burn as the first part of the week is very special for me and the last not so much.

I spend a lot of time at and around the temple during the week thinking about my fallen comrades and beloved pets and past burns and changes I've had to go though to make it this far. I don't need to do that in a group and I'd rather watch it burn from far out on the palaya anyway, away from most other folk. But if the temple wasn't there I might never go to the Man again. It's an important symbol in my life.

Don't believe everything you think.

peace

Post by peace » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:29 am

Personally I'm so exhausted by Sunday night I am both very quiet and too tired to care what anyone else does...

Part of the unique experience of Burning Man is the fact that the temple has been gifted to the playa and belongs to everybody. We are so cultured into a system of following rules it is really interesting to see and hear the reactions of people, and myself, when we are free to do whatever we want and have to think for ourselves in how it may affect other people. The temple guardians, for example, watch the temple but they have no real authority. They may make requests, but they are not there to force anyone how to do their burn. If someone is acting in way that physically endangers themselves or others, they call a ranger. (Lonesomebri - I think you got burned by a prankster). In 2013 the temple builders moved memorials off the center sculpture and Larry Harvey made them put them back. The experience of seeing yourself and the reactions to others in a space of freedom is a rare and fascinating thing!

Zealous
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Playasophy

Post by Zealous » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Unjohn, Simon, and whoever else reads this:

Bring your bullhorns and let's sing the song that never ends at/throughout the temple burn next year! First person to get things thrown at them wins...something.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:16 pm

My bike fell over at the Temple burn and a lovely person came over to help me stand it back up. The Temple had already collapsed, the circle collapsing, and I told her that the bike had served me well the whole week and now was the time to let the old soldier rest, no need to stand the bike up again if it was going to fall over. She put her finger to her lips and said, "Shhhhh...remember when people were silent for the Temple fire?" and walked away.
Silence is Golden.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:27 pm

"Shhhhh
iiiiiit. Image

Don't believe everything you think.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Somehow, we lucked out.
We were in the silent, weeping section.
Listening to the flames, and the folks releasing,
I was overcome and joined the fray.
A young woman came from behind and held me until I'd wept through my storm;
she then melted back into the crowd.

Thank you.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 pm

"The Modoc trive of indians did not get along with the Pit River or Klamath Tribes. As a matter of fact they hated each other. But if these tribes should happen to see each other at a place called Medicine Lake, they would wave. You don't spill blood at a place like that. "

The same occurrence happened at Pipestone in Minnesota. Warriors coming to Pipestone in order to dig up the stone used to make pipes and other items would lay down their weapons outside of the area. They felt that being aggressive or overtly hostile towards others in a sacred area would land them in huge hot water with the Great Spirit, and thus avoided the potential for divine retribution.

The Modoc lived in an area where they wanted to be left alone, some bands on the Nevada/Californa border would try to prevent settlers from crossing the area. Then, they met their match-----camels, being ridden by troops in the southwest during the course of an experiment prior to the Civil War. 500 Modoc were charged by 25 troopers. No one knew what would happen. In what might be called 'the first military demonstration of 'shock and awe' ' ever, the Modocs, never having seen camels before, panicked and ran. There were no casualties on either side in that encounter.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:15 pm

gaminwench wrote:Somehow, we lucked out.
We were in the silent, weeping section.
Listening to the flames, and the folks releasing,
I was overcome and joined the fray.
A young woman came from behind and held me until I'd wept through my storm;
she then melted back into the crowd.

Thank you.
Affirmation and comfort from a stranger is so powerful and it's probably my favorite thing about Burning Man. The barriers we normally have are gone (for the most part) and we're allowed/encouraged to reach out to people we don't know out of sheer shared humanity. These kinds of interactions are powerful because there's no obligation based on previous affiliation from either party, but instead, just a recognition of each other's humanity. It's fucking awesome. I always say I'm going to carry this mindset with me off-playa, but I haven't been too successful as of yet. Your post reminded me I should try harder.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:23 pm

The temple has become so much about the holly spook, enough to make me puke
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

[media]

do away with it!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:12 pm

unjonharley wrote:The temple has become so much about the holly spook, enough to make me puke
I'd be puking in portapotties all day if I cared about the trends of great numbers of burners who accept and give power to populist trends that I interpret as not being progressive (more than enough regression or stasis in the default world.) So many burners behaviors and beliefs stunting their and the events possibilities to be greater instead of becoming more drone-ish.

Yes, readers of eplaya know how you feel,,,,,but,,,,come on, it is called "The Temple" and not "That Beautiful Thing on 6 o'clock Past The Man."

Maybe the artist/architect responsible for each "Temple" had another name for it, and perhaps even a broader interpretation for its use other than what so many burners associate as a temple with magic markers, but the hoi-polloi calls it The Temple, just as "we...the people" re-named the art piece "Uchronia" the "Belgium Waffle", thus ignoring the intentions of the artist/architect in favor of something more accessible to less high-minded mentalities.

As my lawyer once said: "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck: it's a duck."

It's been a Temple, with a capital "T," and will be so again most likely. Just as THE MAN" will be that stick guy, and not anything else. I feel that kind of branding consistency isn't necessary and perhaps counter-productive for "the event", but I've found 1000 more ways to make my 11 days on the playa mean something for me and new and old friends than to focus on stuff that would make me want to hurl...

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:40 pm

The Temple is in flames while dust devils rise and the smelly hippies flee, and all is good in the world one last time.
http://youtu.be/CTviJL-dzwY
The sacred collapses
http://youtu.be/zThHKWoEqNE
- Voltaire, Candide

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:02 am

Bob wrote:Sentiments like the above are why I leave early Sunday. Fuck the Temple, I'm fucking embarrassed to be associated with or indirectly funding this tasteless hippie-religious abomination. Plus, it was ugly as fuck this year. Isn't there something in the Ten Principles mandating separation of Church and City?
Not all of us believe in gods, and some us didn't get to say goodbye to people we loved in any official way. The temple is a nice opportunity for that.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 am

1durphul wrote:
Bob wrote:Sentiments like the above are why I leave early Sunday. Fuck the Temple, I'm fucking embarrassed to be associated with or indirectly funding this tasteless hippie-religious abomination. Plus, it was ugly as fuck this year. Isn't there something in the Ten Principles mandating separation of Church and City?
Not all of us believe in gods, and some us didn't get to say goodbye to people we loved in any official way. The temple is a nice opportunity for that.
This year I bring the heavy burden of 8 who have passed before me. The temple is where I have the opportunity to say goodbye. In the default the rat race continues and no one seems to give a fuck. and Bob, you want freedom of religion? Try finding freedom FROM religion. The Ten Principles (thankfully) have nothing to do with religion. It's all about respect for your fellow human being. If you don't want to respect a fellow human being: stay home, become a TV pastor, or something else that jumps to conclusions.

I'll shut up and respect others.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:25 am

I'd like to see no big temple, at least once, and a group of small, individual temples, to or for whom or what ever one feels the need.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 am

I have to agree with bob, and tend to avoid it like genital warts.

But with that said, to each his own.

Feel free, bird, to worship whatever dead or living gods or spirits you like...

Besides, there is only one G*d, and her Temple 3.0 will be built in Jerusalem.

Duh.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:01 am

10 principles. 10 commandments. Are you sure it has nothing to do with religion?

I'm not a big fan of the temple either, but many find solace there and I do respect that.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

Elderberry wrote:10 principles. 10 commandments. Are you sure it has nothing to do with religion?

I'm not a big fan of the temple either, but many find solace there and I do respect that.
To me it doesn't, beause I'm not religious. Just because the two of them are numerically identical doesn't link their intent. For that matter, the twelve points of the Boy Scout Law are not analogous to an Alcoholics Anonymous or a Narcotics Anonymous 12-step programs. It's like saying an earthquake swarm is a precursor to a volcanic eruption.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:58 am

I'm not religious either. (or even spiritual for that matter) I meant that as more of a joke--it just popped into my head after reading something above. Guess I should have put in a few smillies.

Are you sure about the boy scout thing?? :D :) :shock: :wink:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:06 am

You're all welcome to come to mass at Captain Goddammit's Temple of the Holey Spirit
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:41 am

If the Temple was even 10 feet closer to the Man it would burn up...10 feet farther away and it would burn down. Putting the Temple at the exact right distance to burn in a spiral motion is all part of Larry's Plan!

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:You're all welcome to come to mass at Captain Goddammit's Temple of the Holey Spirit
Serving donuts at 8 a.m, eh, Captain?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Elderberry wrote:I'm not religious either. (or even spiritual for that matter) I meant that as more of a joke--it just popped into my head after reading something above. Guess I should have put in a few smillies.

Are you sure about the boy scout thing?? :D :) :shock: :wink:
No more sure than I am about an earthquake swarm being a precursor to a volcanic eruption. I mean, the earthquake swarm could be something simple, like disposing of fracking waste.

The Boy Scouts and N.A. and A. A. do have ONE of the points in common - belief in a higher power. I think the comparison falls apart after that.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:24 pm

"DOG, grant others the serenity to change the things I cannot accept!!!"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:30 pm

With the temple being built in Oakland just across the Bay from me, I had considered stopping in to help.
But then I heard that the crew building it were having fun and being entertained by DJs.

Temple Build -- One Hour of Silence and Reverence Possible?
- Voltaire, Candide

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 am

You should come help. It's good fun.

Return to “Stories”