My Epic Journey Home

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Re: My Epic Journey Home

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm

You guys make me cry in a good way. Quick update, I have another herniated disk in my neck. Pretty bad one too. I already figured that out from the headaches and numb right arm. That makes 4 total in my neck. I see the surgeon Tuesday.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 pm

blessings, white light, good vibes, and positive energy...

all flowing your way, lovely lady...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 pm

OK, so what's the story with the MRI. Are you good to go?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 pm

jkisha wrote:OK, so what's the story with the MRI. Are you good to go?
The MRI was to confirm that my neck was worse and to take to the surgeon so he can tell me how he is gonna fix it. It showed that the three previous hernias were worse and that I have a new fourth one. I need to stop getting run into by bad drivers.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

cpart
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cpart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am

Jax Dee wrote:You guys make me cry in a good way. Quick update, I have another herniated disk in my neck. Pretty bad one too. I already figured that out from the headaches and numb right arm. That makes 4 total in my neck. I see the surgeon Tuesday.

One of my friends from my hometown has a lot (I'm not sure of the exact amount, but he can't walk easily without pain) of discs crushed/buldging/etc. He was working on a truck, taking the bed off, and it fell on him, crushing his back. My thoughts and good vibes go out to you with your surgeries and recovery.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 am

cpart wrote:One of my friends from my hometown has a lot (I'm not sure of the exact amount, but he can't walk easily without pain) of discs crushed/buldging/etc.

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 am

J.D.
you are inspirational, in many ways, to many.
your presence here, add so much, and I (I'm sure others agree), am happy you've joined us.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 am

Well finding out exactly what's wrong is the first step of being able to get it fixed. Hope all goes well with that.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

snake

Post by snake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:29 pm

if only we had magic wands.

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Part Eight

Monday evening is fast approaching. Our camp is almost completely broken down. We are pretty sure my gear can be fit in the
big truck. At this point I am without a ride. I begin checking with everyone what their riding situation is. My friend Mims,
who is here from Austin, Texas with her friend Danny and Heather, points out that someone pulled out of riding with them in
their van, they should have room and are going to LA. But they are leaving in a couple hours. I run over and start breaking
down my camp immediately. Thankfully it only takes me about 20 minutes. I stack up the items going in the big truck and
drag over my duffle and backpack to the van. We've created an open space in the back of the van where we can all fit and
even lie down. There are 7 of us total in the van, 5 lying like sardines in the back. It is actually pretty comfortable. I
proceed to pull out a book light and read through exodus. It was a really long one this year. Dawn is approaching as we
finally leave BRC.

I nap sporadically as we drive and check my cell signal. As soon as a decent hour hits I call my friend Brendan in LA. He's
always telling me I need to visit...surprise! I'll be there this afternoon. Can I crash? He tells me of course but he won't
be home from work until around 630pm. I tell him we'll cross that bridge when I get to LA. We make good time, stopping
occasionally for gas and food. We hit La and begin to drop off the various people where they need to be until it is only
the crew from Austin and myself. They are staying at another friend's house, but we have beat that person to LA. We begin
our search for a shower. All we can think about is getting clean at this point. The van and us have developed a definite
funk. It takes us a while but eventually we manage to get keys to the friend's house they are staying at. Showers at last!
I washed my hair three times. It was glorious.

It's about 4pm at this point and everyone wants to head out do stuff so I ask them to drop me at Brendan's house. I know he
won't be home yet but I'll figure something out. I am exhausted and and in pain and when I hop out at Brendan's I totally
forget my coat and cane in the van. I don't even realize this for 2 more days. I call Brendan and he tells me that his car
is easy to break into and I can stash my stuff in there. Seriously? So yes, I break into my friend's car and pile my bags
up in there. I then grab my purse and go exploring. His place is right in Melrose and there is plenty to reach just by
walking. I sit down in a little Pho restaurant and begin stuffing my face with noodle soup and mexican cola. It's the first
real food I've had in over a week and it is delicious. Brendan meets me there after work and we head back to his apartment.

I tell him my crazy story and he says he's happy to have me stay but the bad news is his girlfriend and he are leaving for
a wedding in two days. So I only have two days to figure out how to get home or find somewhere else to stay. I know I will
be flying home at some point, and that means I also have to find a way to deal with all my camping gear and bike. I can't
take them on the plane with me, at least not that I can afford. So I call my cousin who lives outside LA. He says he can easily
come pick up and store my stuff for me but I can't stay with him because he is also leaving for a wedding in two days. Why
is everyone getting married this weekend?!? I spend the rest of the night looking up flights. All way too expensive and
I just give up and go to bed. Maybe things will look better in the morning.

I was completely right to sleep on it because I wake up to an email from Virgin mobile announcing special rates for the
following week. I manage to get a flight home for only $120. LA to DC. Now I just need somewhere to stay for a week. I
realize this is the perfect opportunity for me to see my Gran. I book a Greyhound bus to Fresno and walk up to the Target
to buy a suitcase that will pass for carry on on the bus and flight. The duffle I have could fit a couple bodies and I do
not want to check baggage. I somehow manage to pack all the clothes and books on my huge duffle in one small suitcase and
my backpack. My lovely cousin drives out the next night and picks up my gear. My friend gives me cab fare and the next day
I leave for Fresno. I am gonna get to spend an entire week with my family who I never get to see!

Coming up: Part Nine where I finally get to give some help instead of asking for it, visit with my lovely Gran, and
eventually make it home to Virginia.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Off Melrose!? We live one block north of Melrose! You could have stayed with us! Though I'm not sure we were back from the burn yet when you were here.
JK

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:24 pm

This is more epic than Neverending Story. Holy cow. Thanks for sharing this, Jax. It's so epic it almost sounds impossible!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:34 pm

jkisha wrote:Well finding out exactly what's wrong is the first step of being able to get it fixed. Hope all goes well with that.
+1

Having suffered through chemical meningitis related to chymopapain injected to dissolve discs, multiple laminectomies/vertebrae fusions, sciatica and numbness reaching as far as the fingertips I know it's no picnic.
If it provides any hope at all most of my work was done in the 80's and 90's and the discomfort is much more managable now.

Should I fell silly feeling relieved that Jax is safe now and on the way home in the posts even though I know she's already home?

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
jkisha wrote:Well finding out exactly what's wrong is the first step of being able to get it fixed. Hope all goes well with that.
+1

Having suffered through chemical meningitis related to chymopapain injected to dissolve discs, multiple laminectomies/vertebrae fusions, sciatica and numbness reaching as far as the fingertips I know it's no picnic.
If it provides any hope at all most of my work was done in the 80's and 90's and the discomfort is much more managable now.

Should I fell silly feeling relieved that Jax is safe now and on the way home in the posts even though I know she's already home?
I keep catching myself doing that too. Oh no! I hope she makes it to the playa! Oh no! I hope she finds her bike! Oh No! Does she get a ride!

So, yes. You SHOULD feel silly. :D
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:23 pm

All of you are so easily amused.. it's pretty shocking. I knew it was bad.. but this is bad.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

junglesmacks wrote:All of you are so easily amused.. it's pretty shocking. I knew it was bad.. but this is bad.
Yes sir you are quite correct there but, see how Jax is bouncing back. 8) She's quite resilient. She knows she is loved and, she had a lot of fun.

That is how people survive horror and terror and pain. It's quite remarkable. Humans are wonderful creatures.

(((Jax))) thank you for sharing all this.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

This is an amazing story Jax. I'm really hoping for an amazing epilogue. No pressure though.

Best,
Clarity
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:46 pm

tamarakay wrote:So, yes. You SHOULD feel silly. :D
I dunno. There's something very human in story (or "narrative" if you want to sound more academic). And sometimes you can differentiate yourself from the experience, and sometimes you think the Martians are invading.*

*Rumors that this is next year's theme are completely unfounded.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:48 pm

junglesmacks wrote:All of you are so easily amused.. it's pretty shocking. I knew it was bad.. but this is bad.
Now, shhhh . . . don't talk over mah stories.

Be a lamb, and pass grandma the clicker.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: and sometimes you think the Martians are invading.*
*Rumors that this is next year's theme are completely unfounded.
thread herring.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Elorrum wrote:thread herring.
Nise.

robrob
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 pm

They are a group of bike riding anarchists out of LA that really know how to have a good time and are extremely loyal to those they consider part of their group.
met one of these dudes by the velodrome while i was looking for my freind sloan in gigsville. he was super nice and my pals had a great time fucking about on it!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 pm

Savannah wrote:
Now, shhhh . . . don't talk over mah stories.

Be a lamb, and pass grandma the clicker.

Only if you promise another gum job.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 am

tamarakay wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:
+1

I keep catching myself doing that too. Oh no! I hope she makes it to the playa! Oh no! I hope she finds her bike! Oh No! Does she get a ride!

So, yes. You SHOULD feel silly. :D
Yeah mee three... This is better than a novel... keeps me on the edge of my seat!

(Hmmm, a Showtime Mini-series??)

and yes, I do, thank you!!!

I love - no LOVE - that the grope, er, group down in the southland are that tight... Amazing buncha burners, makes me glad to be a distant relation (well, 450 miles distant)...

Remind me to hit your camp next year - sounds like a f'n blast!

Now back to our story in porgress...
:mrgreen:

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 pm

just love this thread, a really exciting story, which i eagerly anticipate every installment, plus the general chit chat between episodes, it makes me understand how london felt between each of charles dickens chapters. or the weekly at the flicks way back when.
Jeex but i love you guys so much, just wish i had moved when it was feasible.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:24 pm

graidawg wrote:just love this thread, a really exciting story, which i eagerly anticipate every installment, plus the general chit chat between episodes, it makes me understand how london felt between each of charles dickens chapters. or the weekly at the flicks way back when.
Jeex but i love you guys so much, just wish i had moved when it was feasible.
What goes around comes around, Grai, just be ready to grab the golden ring next time. 8)

+100 on the installment thing. I think our Jax is part Scheherazade.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:51 am

+10 and a bump...

FightingDrag

Post by FightingDrag » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:15 pm

lol i just read through it all. waiting for the next part now.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 pm

It's addictive. :shock:
FightingDrag wrote:lol i just read through it all. waiting for the next part now.
JK

shroom

Post by shroom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm waiting.......pass the popcorn.....
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Return to “Stories”