My Epic Journey Home

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Re: My Epic Journey Home

Post by maryanimal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 pm

So what happened next? You got to Reno aaaaaaand......?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 pm

...why do I get the feeling we're gonna need to raise bail money..?

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Part Four

So there I am trapped in a hotel room with a lunatic. I no longer feel safe with him. I think he is a danger to himself too.
It was at this moment of stale mate that Fishy texted me that she was up and wanted coffee. What about me? It was 6:30 am.
My instant response was, "what room are you in?". As soon as she responded I grabbed my key card and fled the room. I
showed up at Fishy's door in my pajamas and probably looking a little haggard. Though we had never met before she welcomed
me into her room, had me sit, and listened as I poured out what had been happening to me the last four days. She reassured
me that I was not over reacting, that his behaviour was unacceptable, and that she was pretty sure she had room in her van
for me. I was shocked at how readily she welcomed me into her life and vehicle. She didn't know me at all. Being disabled herself
also meant that she had her own special needs to worry about. And here she was taking on me and my problems. My hero! In that
moment I knew it would be alright and I could relax finally.

My mind made up, I returned to the room, told him we were seperating, that since he didn't feel safe with me anymore, that
I would go my own way. I followed him down to the car, grabbing a bellhop along the way. I explained I was kicking this man
out of my room and asked for his help getting my stuff out of his car. The bellhop was happy to help. The only thing I
couldn't manage was my bike. It was lashed too tightly down and Fishy had nowhere for a bike. My former driver promised to
get it to Burning Man for me and I could come by his camp later in the week and get it. I looked at him in disbelief but
at this point I just wanted him gone. If I lost the bike I figured it was worth it. Most probably though he would make it
to Burning Man, because he was a working photographer for them. He had an actual job to do at the burn. I told him thx,
left him with my food and water as I knew he didn't have money to get his own, and implored him to get some rest before
he ended up hurting himself or someone else.

I met back up with Fishy and we got breakfast. I couldn't believe this virtual stranger had just come to my rescue. I felt
like I had no adequate way to even express my thanks to her. She had literally kept me calm, kept me from getting
stranded in Reno, and was going to help me get supplies and drive me to BRC. She couldn't know this, but I am quite
introverted and prone to panic attacks. I don't know what would have happened to me without her. After loading up on
supplies and loading up her van in tetris like fashion, we got under way. Fishy has the same dry cynical humour as I do and
our ride to the gate and our subsequent wait at said gate turned out to be one of my best. I hope she enjoyed herself as
much as I did. I laughed and barely noticed how long we waited. We entered the city at night fall.

Fishy was my hero that day and everyone else on eplaya as well. If it hadn't been for this forum and the wonderful people I have
met I would not have even known Fishy. I also knew in the back of my head that I had this forum at my fingertips to be able
to reach the burner community and ask for help if anything else crazy happened. Thank you one and all. You made my burn this year.

Stay tuned for Part Five in which fun is had, things burn, people are met, and I figure out a way to get out of BRC at the end of the week.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 pm

burner von braun wrote:...why do I get the feeling we're gonna need to raise bail money..?

I love your avatar!! It's so dern cute!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Fishy is one heck of a gal! And so are all of the women I've had the pleasure to meet at the burn, or meet in here! I remember you recanting this story at the meet and greet. I'm so glad you made it there ok with the help of big-hearted fishy. Don't let the snark fool you either! :D

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now. I never knew all the gory details before. Curious to see if that guy got your bike to you.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Fishy for President 2012!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Fishy is a true heroine! so glad you got out of that awful situation jax.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 am

Jax Dee wrote: Fishy has the same dry cynical humour as I do and
our ride to the gate and our subsequent wait at said gate turned out to be one of my best. I hope she enjoyed herself as
much as I did.
I did. Very much.
Eplayans: I want you to note that Jax is the the one who first spotted a new and scary kind of sparklepony: the McGyver Sparklepony. She is a delight, and I'm sorry I didn't see more of her. I'm also glad she's back on the board, because I haven't seen her since the event closed, and I didn't know how she got back out.
Also, it was very helpful to me to have someone on the other end of the phone when that scary puff of smoke came out of the dash, just a voice on the other end moved me from freaked-out-approaching-panic to yeah, there's got to be a way to deal with this.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 am

This is what makes real burners. I can't say anything else but that. Bless you, Crypto.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am

Fishy is one of the most awesome, most heroic women I know. (Don't you sit there saying "no I'm not", {and I know you're doing that} because, damnit, yes you ARE!!!) That she came to your rescue doesn't even come close to surprising me - she is just that kind of a person - someone who you meet as strangers, associate as friends, and part as family. Very few fit that category, and she epitomizes that perfectly. That she was there, jumped in, and pulled someone's butt out of the fire... that doesn't EVEN surprise me at all!!!

I agree... Fishy for President!!!

Now, returning to the rest of the story.... 8)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:22 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Fishy is one of the most awesome, most heroic women I know. (Don't you sit there saying "no I'm not", {and I know you're doing that} because, damnit, yes you ARE!!!)
I second this. A truly amazing person I'm lucky to have as a friend.

I've finally read this thread, and, well, damn Jax. I can't wait to hear the good parts, and with all the shit you went through the first four days I'm impressed as hell at the inner strength you found- even if you don't see it yourself.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I LOVE this story. :lol: Fishy, you're a hero! And Jax, you really kept it together under great difficulty. Hat's off to you.

This story turned out even better than expected, and Jax isn't even at the Burn "yet".

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Let's hear it for fishy!

For she's a jolly good burner,
For she's a jolly good burner,
For she's a jolly good burnerrrrrr,
and she just saved a liiiiiife!

Y A A A Y !

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm

*tipping hat, and nodding, in admiration of Fishy*

Oh Jax, we're enraptured with your tale........thank you, thank you.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 pm

(Psst! this is lovely, but its' not my thread. If fishes blushed that's what Id' be doing now...)

Oh, and thank you all.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Part Five

My hero ferried me all the way to Gigsville and helped me track down my camp. The sense of relief and happiness that
swelled in my heart as I saw my friend's familiar faces almost had me fainting. Fishy waited patiently while my gear was
unloaded, then wished me well as she took off for her own camp. I collapsed at my camp's bar and told them all the story of
my journey. They were outraged and out for blood. They wanted to know where this guy was camping. As briefly satisfying
as that might have been I refused to tell them and let them know all the guy needed was some sleep and a sandwich. I planned
to stop by the medics next day and ask them to look in on him when he arrived. Then they all asked the million dollar
question.: How are you going to get home to Virginia?

I hadn't even though that far ahead yet. On the way into the Burn I had called my mother and boyfriend to update them on
what was happening. I love my family. No one panicked, they just asked if I was ok, then told me to have fun and that we
would be in touch and figure it all out after the burn. Worse case scenario I knew I could at least get back to Reno where
I had hotel reservations for after the burn. My camp mates also all reassured me not to worry. Enjoy the week and at the
end of it we would figure out how to get me somewhere safe. I love those guys. These are people who I only ever see at the
burn. They are a group of bike riding anarchists out of LA that really know how to have a good time and are extremely loyal
to those they consider part of their group. At my first burn in 2008 I had been taken in and adopted by these people simply
because they knew my best friend. I have been camping with them every burn since. This year was our first year moving in
with Gigsville and I could already tell we were right at home.

I got my small tent set up in our communal shade structure, lashed on my water bottle, grabbed a cup for booze, and
headed right to our bar to relax and spend my first night in BRC having a good low key time. I needed to unwind after the
stress of the last 5 days. My mates served up dinks, laughs, great music, and comraderie. I relaxed into my seat and
watched the crazy antics, the dancing, the pranks. In the distance I could see the velodrome my camp had built for bike
races. For those of you going "huh?" a velodrome is an arena for track cycling featuring steeply banked sides so that it
basically looks like a large wooden bowl. You climb up, perch precariously on the side, get situated on your bike, and
then take off down into the bowl and race around and around until you fall down. At least that's how we did it.

The burn this year was very different for me from previous years. It almost felt like this was my real virgin year. I felt
like I had had such an easy time my first two years. This third year was the struggle and trevail that I had always
expected in the past. I savored everything around me so much more. I felt like I had worked so hard for it that it
made it all so much more precious. It also was very different for me because of my health. I knew right from the start
that I was going to be spending the majority of my time resting in camp. I had carefully selected a few important things
to me during the week that I wanted to attend, but other than that made no plans or demands upon myself. But first, I had
to get my bike.

Up next: Part Six, in which I spend four hours finding my bike, ditch cool costumes for the comfy clothes I knew I'd end up living in,
and have an allergic reaction to pickled eggs.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:18 pm

(((Jax))) you are amazing! What a great story and really well told!

Can't wait to hear more!
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Roberto Dobbisano

fishy and jax on the red carpet.

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm

screenplay...

seriously.

next installment, next installment!....this whole hitting refresh thing every three minutes to see if there is more is killing me.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

cpart
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cpart » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:20 am

DAMNED PICKLED QUAIL EGGS

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:23 am

once again eplaya has me hooked waiting for installments on a fabulous story. Its like reading "the Hitcher" which was a truely scary film. So glad you made it jax, of course you did i wouldnt be reading this thread otherwise, but like any great story you forget the ending while its going on.

this is another of those stories that should go in the collected adventures of burning man book.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:34 am

* sitting, enraptured, waiting and trying to be patient*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

delle

Post by delle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:57 am

ygmir wrote:* sitting, enraptured, waiting and trying to be patient*
Ditto

There's a whole lot of "Grrrrrrrrr" and "Yea!!" in this story, and I'm pretty much addicted to it.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

TinkerMom
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found

Post by TinkerMom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:12 am

Wow!! I just sauntered in.... What an amazing story and turn of events!!! I am hooked on hearing the rest.

((((Jax))))
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 am

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 am

cpart wrote:DAMNED PICKLED QUAIL EGGS
I know, someone give Expressodude a heads up so he can head on over to talk Foxy down. He's going to feel bad about this.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

delle

Post by delle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

Elorrum wrote:Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

That just gave me a stomachache for how beautifully appropriate it was. I don't know whether to hug you or hump your leg I'm so excited by it.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Jax Dee

Post by Jax Dee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 pm

tamarakay wrote:
cpart wrote:DAMNED PICKLED QUAIL EGGS
I know, someone give Expressodude a heads up so he can head on over to talk Foxy down. He's going to feel bad about this.
LOL. No worries, I'd already had the allergic reaction to Jet Fuel's pickled eggs earlier in the week so knew not to have any of Foxfur's at the MnG. I should have known better, I'm allergic to sulfates. Duh.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
-Buddhist Blessing

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, I'm entraptured! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:26 pm

So Jax, how does it feel to have almost the entire board hanging on your every word?

More more more!!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Stories”