Update: Falling in Love at Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
FIGJAM

Re: Update: Falling in Love at Burning Man

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Love can deeply affect our souls.

Or is it arse holes, I can never remember.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Love can deeply affect our souls.

In my cause it's both. Of course the girl has to be an open minded type.

Don't believe everything you think.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Playa love is as real as any love. Perhaps its temporary, and once exposed to Defaultia rather fickle, but its very real (for a time) nevertheless.

Lets face it kids: if the real reason we were here was to have interesting conversations, the music wouldnt be so loud. :mrgreen:

Burn On!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Grey, I love you. That was beautiful.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

On the other hand, ePlaya love is not real. I'm not sure if that makes it worse or better.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Maladroit: your experiences with playa love may not necessarily be those of others. For those with Cupids Arrow stuck firmly inn their ass, playa love is the real deal.

(Now why the fuzzy fook did that pissy little cherub miss ME? Its not like my ass is particularly small! Heck, its as wide as a barn door! Whadda I gots to do? Paint a tagret on my hiney? WHAAAAAAAA!!!) :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:51 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Maladroit: your experiences with playa love may not necessarily be those of others. For those with Cupids Arrow stuck firmly inn their ass, playa love is the real deal.
I said ePlaya love...

kowtow
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp D^5

Post by kowtow » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Man, I sure fell in love at Burning Man:
  • I fell in love with everyone that harassed me on those early morning "walks of shame" back to camp
  • I fell in love with all the people that got me to break out of the initial rut of not wanting to get out and experience everything
  • I fell in love with the two people that said "climb in the hammock kowtow"
  • I fell in love with the woman who fed me, or tried to feed me morning, noon and night
  • I fell in love with the man who changed the oil in my generator and pulled his trailer out of the way so I could exodus
  • I fell in love with the woman who said "You choose what color Otter Pop I should have"
  • I fell in love with the girl who painted my face to look like a cheetah and later painted my body to look amazing
  • I fell in love with the guy (who's eplaya name escapes me at the moment) who made me a bracelet that he gifted to me at the eplaya M&G
  • I fell in love with my entire camp who accepted me and welcomed me like nobody ever has
  • I fell in love with Burning Sky for being awesome neighbors and even better friends
  • I fell in love with the guy who showed more emotion than anyone and cried because his first burn was such a monumental and moving experience that it touched me like nothing else has
  • I fell in love with the guy who let me sleep on his chase lounge for hours without any resentment
  • I fell in love with the guy who let me have a clove cigarette and smoke one for the first time in over 10 years
  • I fell in love with everyone that I could share a hug with
  • I fell in love with the sound camp that let me climb on stage unfettered and shine my laser lights all over the dance floor
  • I fell in love with the woman who showed me a night that I will never remember. A woman who picked my jaw up off the playa and showed me the magic that became my burn
  • I fell in love with Embrace; being able to witness what was in your mind when you created such an amazing piece of art moved me like no other
  • I fell in love with the Temple of Grace. I wanted to enjoy the temple for it's amazing construction, but separate myself from the emotions and purpose that filled the air. - I LOVE YOU ARNIE...RIP
  • I fell in love with the crotchety ole' fuck on the corner of 5:00 and H who flicked me so much shit that I knew I had wished I was his age, so I could experience life's experiences right alongside him
  • I fell in love with so many other people for so many additional reason, that I apologize for not being able to recite them all
  • I can't wait to fall in love with all the other wonders that I haven't even discovered yet about Burning Man, but are out there just waiting for me!
There is love all over Burning Man. We can criticize this, that or the other thing, but in the end we all know, it's a special fuckin' place that you can't duplicate anywhere else on the planet. I thank God (or any other power higher than lil' ole' me) for allowing me to procure the ticket, prepare for nearly a year and flawlessly commute to and from this magical place in the desert.

Most of all, I'm so glad I was able to find ALL OF YOU and also find MYSELF during this epic adventure.

THANK YOU - kowtow

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 pm

kiboy wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Love can deeply affect our souls.

In my cause it's both. Of course the girl has to be an open minded type.
Ah, ten points for beating me to it... Someone had to say it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Lets face it kids: if the real reason we were here was to have interesting conversations, the music wouldnt be so loud.
And right there you have why I never did go to a lot of parties. And why I'm better on eplaya than the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

LifeLooker
Burning Since: 2018

Post by LifeLooker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Wow... I'm kind of blown away by what everyone's shared about the loves they met (and lost) at Burning Man.. :)

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:Lets face it kids: if the real reason we were here was to have interesting conversations, the music wouldnt be so loud.
And right there you have why I never did go to a lot of parties. And why I'm better on eplaya than the playa.
I go for the interesting conversations as much as the spectacle. I've had some three or four hour mind blowing conversations. Sometimes various substances were responsible but nonetheless. :D I love to chat. You can likely see that by how much I'm posting here already. And not having to work helps.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:06 pm

I had an amazing interaction with a beautiful lady one night on a trampoline. I was mildly altered, and just enjoying the feeling of being on a bouncy surface while looking at the stars.

As I'm laying there, this girl climbs up and lays down next to me, takes my hand, and starts taking to me not only as though we had been friends a long time, but as though we had been having this conversion for hours.

As we talked for a while, she would intermittently kiss me, then go back to our conversion. A went on like this for quite some time, until she got up and left, just as suddenly as she arrived.

We didn't exchange names, let alone camp locations. I never really went looking for her after that, as I didn't want to ruin the magic of that night. This was probably eleven years ago; I still think of her and that night, and wonder whose life she has made better, just by being in it....
Praise the Lowered

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:33 pm

ranger magnum wrote: and wonder whose life she has made better, just by being in it....
Don't be too sure of that. Better not to know too much as you said. The reality of the default world with it's struggles, especially without the drugs can be very different.

Beautiful story though.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:33 pm

It really was beautiful, though I suspect that under any other circumstances it would have never occurred. This is where the beauty of pharmaceuticals comes into play. Certain ones break down barriers that we erect during the course of our lives. I've always believed that portals within our psyche can only be opened with them.
Praise the Lowered

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:21 pm

First of all, CONGRATS to the OP. I hope it is still going strong!

ranger magnum wrote:I had an amazing interaction with a beautiful lady one night on a trampoline. I was mildly altered, and just enjoying the feeling of being on a bouncy surface while looking at the stars.

As I'm laying there, this girl climbs up and lays down next to me, takes my hand, and starts taking to me not only as though we had been friends a long time, but as though we had been having this conversion for hours.

As we talked for a while, she would intermittently kiss me, then go back to our conversion. A went on like this for quite some time, until she got up and left, just as suddenly as she arrived.

We didn't exchange names, let alone camp locations. I never really went looking for her after that, as I didn't want to ruin the magic of that night. This was probably eleven years ago; I still think of her and that night, and wonder whose life she has made better, just by being in it....

I love this, what a great written little story.
I love fleeting muses, as sad as they can be as well. Have had a few different varieties at burning man. The Never Have Sex Because He's Married But The Romance Was Amazing Guy, The Awesome Hot Quiet Who Is A Great Date In BRC But a Lousy One In Reg Life Guy, The Fast and Furious Fabulous One Hour Make Out Session guy, The British One Night Stand Who Was a Complete Bastard But Said The Nicest Things Ever To You Guy, The Kilt Wearin' Hottie With A Girlfriend Who Kinda Wants To Share But Really Doesnt Guy, The Good Friend Camp Mate Who You Should Totally Do But For Some Reason You Never Do But You Are In Love With Him Anyway Guy......The Cute Flirty At The Burn Burn But You Were Too Fucking Tired To Even React To It Guy......Oh man I have fallen in love at Burning Man WAY too much.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am

I discovered men in my age bracket tend to be all worked up about their career and other default obligations. They have their routine, and don't trust a moving target when they are comfortable w their known variables at home.
And here's me waiting for the next best thing.
I have a saying that keeps me going: Don't look for someone who'll love you, become someone who can be loved.
15 years ago when I came across this concept, I was lost. I was a train wreak. I was an emotional drain that regularly did stream of conciousness monologues, like hearing my voice validated me. Then when I learned to love myself, I became quiet. Silence became much more empowering, as I had emptied myself enough to let others in. The love came flowing in, hell it rushed in!
So now I'm back on that same path, learning self love again. I have faith the insecurities will again dissipate.
Oh, and BTW I save up all year the stream of conciousness blathering for the playa. But I do spend a great deal more time out there silent than I did early in my career. I was scary. The amount of compassion jumped up a notch this year. Probably due to being surrounded by compassion, but also because I felt secure enough to show compassion. I just have to keep reminding myself now that the only person I'm emotionally responsible for is me. And the only person that can make me feel loved is me. Sounds trite, but it's harder than it seems.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am

I gotta agree with you, robbidobbs - an individual must learn to love themselves first. When that's missing, other (deep) relationships become strained.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:22 pm

robbidobbs wrote:I discovered men in my age bracket tend to be all worked up about their career and other default obligations. They have their routine, and don't trust a moving target when they are comfortable w their known variables at home.
And here's me waiting for the next best thing.

Men have feeling to ya know ................... sometimes we feel hungry ")
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 am

Sure Tatonka. Part of the problem could be attributed to enculturation. There is a wealth of evidence that men have feelings, just look at all the poetry and books etc.
I am not yet strong enough to support another right now, and that bothers the shit out of me. I want to help someone specific, but I'm feeling like I'm being shut out. Maybe he detects that I'm not capable, maybe it's just not his style to seek out assistance. Maybe I'm making up stories and this silence has nothing whatsoever to do with me. Maybe it's all just echoes from a mirror.
All I can do right now is become stronger, for and by myself. It's worked before. It's been a rough Decompression.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:11 am

Well Robbid, you are being heard by me and you sound better than ever.
And you certainly have helped elevate the subject from sleazy comments to the heart .
I too had the exact kind of experience and even said to the darling man .. I love you

and then admitted that I am afraid of that power

xoA.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:55 am

It's only scary if you don't have faith in yourself is what I'm learning. I want him to be happy, that is enough. We also exchanged The "L" word, but realized it could be the playa talking. So I'm hoping it can translate to Defaultia, but if it doesn't, then all the hard work I'm doing will still be rewarded because I will be a better "me" than before I went out in August. Faith, is my word for post event. gratitude was my word during. It all is ok if you start with compassion.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:12 am

Yes
and I am recognizing that I am indeed a coward regarding the heart
maybe because I do know it is maximum power

I was thinking of not going next year so that I would not have to face that power
Robbid , you are strong

xoA.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:43 pm

I wish I was feeling strong today A.
Faith.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:17 am

I tried writing my update in this three times and erased it three times.
I'm insane. Completely insane.
...<more erasing>...
Fuck.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:31 am

No worries RD, it is all just going on

You are a great soul of meaningful Life

and as my not-son taught me..restart is always ready.

xoA.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 pm

The Magic Mirror word today is...
Introvert
It all makes so much sense now. I'm finding out that Rain is an introvert. I feel so much better now that I'm learning what that personality type means. And no, it's not black & white but a scale. A good friend pointed out that I'm enough of an introvert to understand him, and enough of an extrovert to be a foil for him.
I can live with this.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks Ratty for smacking me upside the head. You know what I mean.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Thanks Ratty for smacking me upside the head. You know what I mean.
"SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND DRINK THIS!!!"

(Robbie: you made me *promise* to say that whenever you wandered in and didnt appear to be making sense, so I dutifuly complied. That being said, Ratty is mahvelous, so whatever she did, "you rock, Ratty!")
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Stories”