Memorial service Friday, or donations, for Katherine Lampman

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Kathy O'Sunnyvale

Memorial service Friday, or donations, for Katherine Lampman

Post by Kathy O'Sunnyvale » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:25 pm

My condolences go out to the family and campmates of Kathy Lampman, who died at Burning Man last Saturday.

This article mentions there is a memorial service this Friday, and that there is a fund set up to help pay for expenses. As her family is asking for help I will donate to the fund- I hope that fellow burners who can will do so too.

The article says:
"The family's memorial service will be held at noon on Friday, Sept. 5 at White Oaks Chapel at 1696 El Camino Real in San Carlos. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking friends to contribute to a trust fund to help cover costs. Questions about donations can be directed to Jim Dwyer with State Farm Insurance at 592-3957. "

I assume this phone number is area code 650 or perhaps 415 or 408.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/templates/pri ... burningman

" BELMONT -- Katherine "Kathy" Lampman, who died over the weekend at the Burning Man festival, was a free spirit who had talked about going to the Nevada event for three years.

"She planned it for a year," said her older sister Stacy Cowan-Intravia. "It was a birthday gift to herself."

Lampman, 21, and a 2000 graduate of Carlmont High School, died early Saturday morning when she fell off an "art car," similar to a parade float. She had been dehydrated and twisted her ankle when she fell. According to event organizers, her death marked the first time a participant died at the event.

Lampman would have begun her second year at the Academy of Art College in San Francisco and was studying photography. She had just moved to San Mateo and was excited about living on her own.

Her sister takes solace in the fact Lampman died at a place where she really wanted to be.

"It definitely helps that it was not a drunk driver," Cowan-Intravia said.

Lampman's sister remembers her vibrant sister who would drop whatever she was doing to help anybody.

"She was a loyal friend and she was a loving sister," Cowan-Intravia said. "We had a great relationship, and she was a wonderful aunt to my children. She was their whole lives. She loved the arts, and she loved diversity."

Cowan-Intravia recalled their last conversation together just a few days before Lampman, who was 13 years younger, was set to go to the Burning Man festival. The two were eating frozen yogurt and were watching "Chicago" at the older sister's house. Lampman had been devastated that she almost could not go to the summer desert event devoted to free expression.

"She really didn't want to go by herself," the sister said. But final hang-ups were resolved, and Lampman set forth.

"She was trying her darndest to live her life like every day was her last," Cowan-Intravia said. The festival was especially important to Lampman because she did not know when she would be able to attend again, she said.

Lampman leaves behind Cowan-Intravia and her three children, her mother and various aunts and uncles. Her fiancé, Tony Massetti, had just joined the Navy and left for training in Chicago two weeks ago. Her father died when she was not yet 3 of a drowning accident in 1984.

According to Elisa Stephens, president of the Academy of Art College, the school would like to have a service for Lampman if the family is open to it. "

KnowMatterWhat

Is anyone going to the Memorial today?

Post by KnowMatterWhat » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:49 am

I didn't know Sister Lampman personally, yet I'm saddened by her passing. The wording in Kathy's memorial announcement states "The family's memorial service will be held at noon on Friday, Sept. 5 at White Oaks Chapel at 1696 El Camino Real in San Carlos." Does this mean immediate family only or do you think her Burning Man family is welcome? The last thing I want to do is disturb Kathy's family while they are mourning her sudden and tragic loss.

Is any other Burners planning on going to pay their respects?

May Kathy Lampman rest in Peace ~ Know Matter What

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:17 am

Watching Kathy being worked on at the scene of her death affected me more than I could have ever guessed.

I didn't know her, but does that really matter? I still feel the way I do.

God, I hope that she was at relative peace with herself when she died.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

Gieckboy

Kathy Lampman Memorial Fund

Post by Gieckboy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:45 pm

Kathy's family has set up a memorial fund benefiting the elementary school her niece and nephew attend. Please pass along the information to anyone you think might be interested:

Cipriani Elementary Art Fund
2525 Buena Vista
Belmont, Ca.

/-Gieckboy

headtrp

Post by headtrp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:19 pm

I too arrived on the scene within moments of seeing the lights from the ambulance, police and Rangers darting across the playa. I remember seeing her high-healed black boots and the EMT walking over to her friends who were quietely whimpering and hugging each other, and saying that she was going to live. I wrote a prayer on the temple wishing that she did, but an hour and a half later I saw a second wave of vehicle dart back to the scene and then I knew she had passed.
Katherine Lampman, though I never knew you, I will always remember you. I remembered seeing your blood on the playa the following day and wondering if that was actually you. I tried to find you on Sunday so I could scoop you up and set you on the temple, but the wind and dust was too thick to find you. I found out Monday that a girl had picked up you scarf (somehow knowing it was yours) and given to one of the firemen on Sunday. He was a first responder to your death and he took your scarf and placed it on the burning temple.
Of all places to die Katherine, I think you were lucky to die at Burning Man. I know that thousands of people said a prayer for you that Sunday, you were not forgotten. We can not choose where or when we die, so let it be a festival of love and joy instead of war.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:35 pm

The service was beautiful, as was she. Burners were well represented, and while one person who spoke (a long-time family friend) expressed a wish that Kathy had never gone to BRC, everyone else who mentioned BMan talked of how she had died doing something she loved.

I was bittersweetly pleased to note that the remembrance card listed BRC as the place of her passing. And as we filed past the casket on our way out, I shook a little to see that someone had put her ticket stub atop her folded hands....
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

headtrp

Post by headtrp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:51 pm

placed a ticket stub in her hands?, that's a bit creapy

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:10 pm

headtrp wrote:placed a ticket stub in her hands?, that's a bit creapy
On, not in - and it's actually a fairly common practice. She was already holding at least one set of prayer beads that I could see; my great-grandmother was buried holding her rosary.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

i'mok

Post by i'mok » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:11 pm

Hi, I am Kathy's sister Stacy and held her funeral services for her. I thought the Burning Man ticket was nice, she had it in her hands. I wish I knew the real story behind her death, but don't seem to be getting any answers except for her activities on that day.

Yes, there are a few funds you can cantribute to...if you decide on the Cipriani Scool fund, the check or m/o should be made out to Belmont-Redwood Shores School District in the honor of Katharine Lampman. Or you may also contact Mr Dwyer. at the above number 650 area code.

I don't recall anyone saying they had wished she hadn't gone to BRC, she had planned it for so long, and I know that she was where she wanted to be. Who else can die at a place that is so much like a home for them?

If anyone knows the events of that night other than speculation...like did you see her fall? Did you the the EMT's rescuing her? Was she breathing?

I am grieving along with all of you, but being 13 years older than her...I have lost a child...and feel as though one more breath can be taken eithout her. Part of my healing is knowing the real story.

Thanks, Stacy

diamondblast

Post by diamondblast » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 am

[quote="Zane5100"]Watching Kathy being worked on at the scene of her death affected me more than I could have ever guessed.

I didn't know her, but does that really matter? I still feel the way I do.

God, I hope that she was at relative peace with herself when she died.[/quote]

I guess it really doesn't matter if you knew her or not
what's really matters is what you feel inside :) deep in
I'm sure she left us in peace
Lance

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Talk about picking a scab.
Desert dogs drink deep.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm

And your reason for posting Badger was?????? :?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm

DVD Burner wrote:And your reason for posting Badger was?????? :?
This is still a sore spot with many in the community, and frankly when I saw this thread come back up I was like WTF is this? It's over, it's done, the lawyers made a fortune hitting anything that even remotely looked like a target (they make the RIAA attorneys look good), and it serves no purpose to beat this dead horse anymore.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:19 pm

There are these things attached and embedded in the head called eyes. There are also these things attached to the arms called hands that have fingers.
Inside of the head there is supposed to be a brain.
If used properly, one can just IGNORE THE THREAD and move on.
Seems pretty fuckin simple to me.

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 pm

It ain't that fucking simple, and if you had paid attention to Badger's previous posts on the subject you would be surprised at the restraint he's showed here, not the fact that he reacted.

In any case, when are you going to get the fuck over him and move on with your life? Hasn't this animosity bullshit went on long enough? We're talking YEARS here. There was a time I hated him. HATED him. Now, I could give a flying fuck less if he dropped off the face of the fucking earth tomorrow, and since I got that attitude about him and a lot of other stuff, my life has become a lot better than the miserable fucking crap it was...and that I spewed all over this fucking board. But you on the other hand keep digging out all these past slights, digs, etc every fucking chance you get. Damn, it's so old! And so fucking pathetic.

Personally, I think you need to go back to doing what you're talented at doing and leave Badger the fuck alone. And if you don't like that, you have plonk, I suggest you fucking use it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Not even gonna dignify reading the last post from K.

OK,

Here are the facts,

As long as there is an eplaya or CMS's of any kind, there will be old messages on it, and as usual, a noob will post in that old message.

There is no reason to get bent out of shape over that. It IS THE WAY THE WORLD IS.

These extra postings could have been avoided minus the negative posting provided by the Badge. If I hadn't posted, I'm sure someone else would have.

One thing is guaranteed, someone else, most likely a noob, next year will post in this thread. Will Badger post the same way? Most likely, and it wont be me that has anything to say, it will be someone else and the stupidity will go on and on from there.

Why did he bother posting at all when the obvious is, someone is going to post right after him a similar fashion of a response?

Just a reminder, THIS IS A FUCKIN MESSAGE BOARD.

Why is it so hard just to be nice? It's a community Message board. Someone wants to post on an old message, let them. It's not something to get bent out of shape about.
If it's bending you that much outta shape about it, maybe one just needs to get a life and go outdoors or something.

Oh and yes, it is that simple. :? :P Not even rocket science.

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Dancing with the Stars is looking for new people for the next season. The way you tapdanced around my post has me thinking you would be a fine candidate for the show!

DVD, you seriously need to go back and re-read the various threads....and thus know the history of this tragic story, and my hunch is if you did that you would understand his comment...and more than likely agree with it.

With that I can see that I too am whipping a dead horse and I have better things to do with my time. I wish you well in managing all that old animosity...one day you'll wake up and realize it's not worth it, and you'll feel so much better. That's not to say you can't occasionally poke the Badger (I enjoy the occasional pot shot just because I can)...but you won't be consumed by it as you are now. Good luck to you!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:54 pm

I dont know what makes you think I dont read all threads here, nor wonder how it is you think I have no idea what goes on at Burningman, but so be it.

the only dead horse around here at the moment that is being whipped right now is your reply's to my responses. :roll:

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:16 pm

People, people, why don't we all go to Baskin-Robbins for a nice big hot fudge sundae and try to patch things up?

Remember the immortal words of Rodney King just after he was beaten by the police---"Why can't we get alooonggg people"!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Shambala wrote:People, people, why don't we all go to Baskin-Robbins for a nice big hot fudge sundae and try to patch things up?

Remember the immortal words of Rodney King just after he was beaten by the police---"Why can't we get alooonggg people"!

:lol:

Hey, I use that one all the time when these same people do the same thing each and every time.
You will find that the same people on eplaya will always do the same thing no matter what each and every time..

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Badger was right....on so many things. Anyway ice cream does sound good about now.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:25 pm

He's always right till he rags on ya. :lol:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Shambala wrote:Remember the immortal words of Rodney King just after he was beaten by the police---"Why can't we get alooonggg people"!
Actually, it was during the riots after the la policemens acquittal.

AntiM, maybe you could freeze this thread. Or pull it altogether. Count me as another community member who finds no value in rehashing this.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Now that's the smartest suggestion yet and the right way to go about it.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 pm

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 am

Okay so I'm reading this thread and trying to figure out why the hell you people are bitching at each other and then I notice that the original thread was started in 2003 and someone just posted a response a few days ago.

What the hell? Are we really this starved for conversation?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:21 am

Uuuummmmm,

Some people are. :lol:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:50 am

It looks like what happened is that a new person to eplaya ran across this thread and posted to it not noticing how old it was--thereby resurrecting it, so to speak.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am

jkisha wrote:It looks like what happened is that a new person to eplaya ran across this thread and posted to it not noticing how old it was--thereby resurrecting it, so to speak.

JK
ooh, ooh, Halloween humor. JK, you do it all...........at times, my hero..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Stories”