The Great Canadian Beaver Eating Contest

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sammalamma
Burning Since: 2018

Re: The Great Canadian Beaver Eating Contest

Postby Sammalamma » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Ill have to keep my eyes open for this one. I'm a BM virgin but also a Canadian Beaver. Sounds like it could be a great time. I'm sure finding an eater won't be problem.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 am

Sammalamma wrote:Ill have to keep my eyes open for this one. I'm a BM virgin but also a Canadian Beaver. Sounds like it could be a great time. I'm sure finding an eater won't be problem.

That's the spirit!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm

<raises hand>

Sammalamma
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Sammalamma » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:<raises hand>

Thanks Dr. Pyro glad to see there are enthusiastic volunteers out there.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

Sammalamma wrote:

What, you didn’t think there would be?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:52 pm

I love it when its wet and juicy , and a little pinkish red inside , your fingers get all sticky ,............. just love that watermelon :)
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Sammalamma wrote:

seems you might benefit from some sort of interview process, from all interested participants?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

visitor_70
Burning Since: 1986

Postby visitor_70 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Longtime lurker, never posted before and now a throwaway for my comment on this thread.

I attended the GCBEC in 2017. Wow. Just wow. I thought for sure this was a fake entry and it could not, or would not, happen. I was wrong and wonderfully so.

As I recall, there were 3 rounds but no overall final contest (a shame, really, given the contestants) for Burning Man Champions. 1st round was crowded, packed and standing room only with many people deep. Getting in was not possible and the crowd control was admirable with people blocking entry on the sides to prevent cutting and to try and keep it orderly. It was not a Who concert but it was tight.

For those who couldn’t slide their way in, others were on shoulders deep in the crowd outside the main arena, giving a view from the top and (ahem) a blow by blow account of what was going on to those down below who couldn’t see. Having not seen anything, I thought for sure the commentary from outside and inside the tent was fake (but still really funny). I need to trust more in my fellow burners. This is NOT Daft Punk level stuff. I pinky swear and promise.

2nd round was way less crowded and just about all those waiting outside were able to get in for viewing the 2nd round. Had this been a candy store, many blow pops would have been consumed. Now able to see, I can tell you that the visuals matched the fantastic and funny oral commentary by the emcees and judges. By the 3rd round, the crowd was way less (waiting around at Burning Man is so passé) and platform side seats (and, ahem), beaver, I mean birds-eye viewing was available. I stayed because when in Burning Man, do Burning Man (and by do, I mean I spectated and did not directly participate—my bad that was oh so good). The third rounders were no slouchers and were just as physically active as anyone.

Putting aside the prurient interest issue, which was considerable and momentous, the acrobatics and creativity was considerable and momentous. Great strength and skill were used, and I believe practiced and/or choreographed in advance for the crowd’s entertainment. This was not flatbacking and a lazy Sunday afternoon roll around. I do not know if actual physical enjoyment occurred among the participants, but the show was unstoppable and the crowd (mixed gender by the way and not just males) reacted favorably to the performances among all participants, who really (and in all fairness and kindness) all were winners. Kudos to all for putting their best face forward (and backward, and to the side and upside down, too).

I had read the past history and knew there was wildness in the past, but, still, wow. I had no idea that this kind of activity actually occurred for real, and is still occurring. It makes me wonder what else is there to be discovered. My tremendous thanks to Spankys for being such kind hosts of this magnificent event.

To give you a sense of my amazement and my sense of wonder, I’ve already bought my plane tickets for 2018. For realz.

Return to “Stories”