Corporate HELL

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
TheMuse

Corporate HELL

Post by TheMuse » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:15 pm

Still 9 days until I leave for the Playa, but I think my mind is already there. I swear my boss is going to fire me... yet still I hang out on Eplaya instead of doing my TPS reports. Nothing I am doing here at work seems remotley as important as my Burning Man theme camp preparation! Who else out there is dying to escape the corporate world?
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:25 pm

Let's see now... I work for an insurance company and we're located kitty korner to Microslop's headquarters in Redmond, WA.

TALK to me about corporate hell.

atossab

Post by atossab » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:27 pm

I'm afraid any minute I'm either going to walk out of this boring corporate fiasco, or they are going to stop paying me since I'm on eplaya too long. Yeah, I'm paranoid the whole time but as the time draws nearer the less I can help it!

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:46 pm

I find that keeping a very busy looking excel spreadsheet at the ready to pop up at first sign of a manager works quite well. Also proof they have no idea what the hell Im working or why the fuck they hired me in the first place haha.
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:21 pm

Down with Starbucks! Fuck 'em all!

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:58 am

I completely and totally second all of this. I tried going off of the eplaya at work, but it only lasted for about 4 days. Then I just got so freakin bored I had to do something other than just dial my phone again and again and again and again and again.....

Get me out of corporate hell and to the burn already! It can't come fast enough!

I swear, one more nasty person yells at me and I'm gonna go postal.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
~Mark Twain

waltsnipe

Boss is out today

Post by waltsnipe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:58 am

Same problem here with being on E-Playa instead of what I should be doing. Only difference is that working for the State of Texas is like corporate hell, but with worse pay and benefits.

I wonder if they'll buy the "I HAVE to be on E-Playa, because it's the closest thing to being on the real thing and I can't f*cking wait to get there!" excuse?

We start our 2200 mile drive a week from this morning!!

waltsnipe

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:03 am

Waltsnipe wrote:I wonder if they'll buy the "I HAVE to be on E-Playa, because it's the closest thing to being on the real thing and I can't f*cking wait to get there!" excuse?
I already tried that one, didn't work at all. I also tried a similar excuse for why I have to play solitaire all day. Apparently my boss didn't agree that I do actually have the most boring job on the face of the planet.
~Mark Twain

Release Me

Post by Release Me » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:55 am

I'm with you guys. The addiction to e-playa has accually preserved my sanity. My day pretty much goes like this:
Client Calls: "How come you lost me so much money!"
Me: "Well actually, I warned you against buying Juniper Networks at $300 a share."
Client: "You guys cheated me out of my money!"
Me: "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
Client: "How about some Google it's over $100 now...seems fair"
Me: (thinking)...here we go again

Thank you eplaya!
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:01 am

I dont have to worry too much about that since I own my own business. I do have many Lawyer clients that will be cheesed off that they can use me for a few weeks and can't call me at their whim but, revenge is a dish best served BURNT.

Having said that I loose money leaving to the Burn like everyone else going but hey isnt it all worth it. For me I get to wear muh kilt like its supposed to be worn. How that is is a secrete sorry.

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:39 am

get me out of this office! The chickenfish was meant to roam free! I feel as a caged bird, or a fish in a stocked pond, sitting in my dark cave of a production room, basking in the effervescent light of my computer monitor. Oh, to feel the cool breeze ruffle my feathers, gently tingling my awakened scales! I will sing a hearty crow call to the sun, when I first see it rise over the stark expanse of crackling dust that is the playa.
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:44 am

Oh the gleeful insouciance of those who will have jobs when they get back.

(Over to the fu#k thread again.)

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:45 am

Is a chicken fishes fave food Sardines breaded with corn fried to a delicate brown? Its just a rumor.

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:10 am

between eplaya and my other internet addictions (messageboards, aim, checking my email way too often) I am on the internet probably more often that i'm actually working. It does help keep the sanity though. I would not have the strength to keep working if it weren't for all these lovely sites! To think we're leaving in 9 or 10 days.. it's creeping up quick!

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:37 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh the gleeful insouciance of those who will have jobs when they get back.
"Gleeful insouciance" my butt. When I started with this company, they had gone 70+ years without laying anyone off. They made it through the fuckin' depression of the 30's without one stinking layoff. Them days is done. I squeeked by the first round of layoffs, and the second. How much longer can I dodge the bullet? Oh, it's coming...

Having said that, unemployment sucks worse. It's true, looking for work is the hardest work of all. Keep the faith, Crypto. I went six months with no job and no offers. Then one morning, I got two phone calls within 45 minutes of each other offering jobs. Weird. Just goes to show that when good things are happening, sometimes you're the last to know. Again, keep the faith...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:41 am

Thank you, Sensei. I will now cancel the rest of this morning's banging head on table session.

(funny how the 30s were so different than now. There's an old grocery store in the neighborhood that gave credit to a lot of people in the 30s. I can't see Suffferway doing that. Community will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no community, I guess.)

midgetsonparade

Post by midgetsonparade » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:00 am

TheMuse wrote:I find that keeping a very busy looking excel spreadsheet at the ready to pop up at first sign of a manager works quite well. Also proof they have no idea what the hell Im working or why the fuck they hired me in the first place haha.
This is why I lock my office door. I remember being in a cubical looking over my shoulder every five seconds.

midgetsonparade

Post by midgetsonparade » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:02 am

TheMuse wrote:I find that keeping a very busy looking excel spreadsheet at the ready to pop up at first sign of a manager works quite well. Also proof they have no idea what the hell Im working or why the fuck they hired me in the first place haha.
This is why I lock my office door. I remember being in a cubical looking over my shoulder every five seconds. Between looking at the calender every five seconds and couting down burning man and looking at the clock waiting for lunch I manage to get my fair share of work in.

Only seven days until I leave for the long trek home!

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:06 am

Ummm you need to put a disclaimer on that dude with the cowbell back an forth, its causing my cat to have a fit of epaleptic seasures (forgive the spelling)

atossab

Post by atossab » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:42 am

Seriously, who IS that guy? It kinda freaks me out, its perverted in some weird way that makes me very uncomfortable. I hope its not really you, but if it is, then I'm sorry!! (but if he could just close his mouth or something).

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:47 am

thats will ferrell from saturday night live

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:50 am

Is it bad that I keep having wistful daydreams of a huge wooden man wreathed in flames stomping his way into the building and swopping me up from my tiny cubicle (where I would look over my shoulder more than every 5 seconds, but I got myself one of those monitor rearview mirrors) and carrying me out to BRC to be freed from the bonds of corporate hell.

Okay, I should probably at least TRY and work today. *sigh*
~Mark Twain

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:59 am

Zona_the_stona wrote:thats will ferrell from saturday night live
Will Ferral, his bad haircut and his cowbell are banned from further Burning Man activities. He just f-ing scares the shite outa me. Could you amagine him walking down the esplinade in a dust storm wackin on that bell. I'm sorry but if I had an art car (an Im such the peacable man) Id have to create a statistic out of that character.

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:19 pm

Sensei wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Having said that, unemployment sucks worse.
there'sa lot of truth to that.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 pm

shitmouse wrote:
Sensei wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Having said that, unemployment sucks worse.
there'sa lot of truth to that.
-b
Just noting that the Sensei's words o wisdom were mistakenly attributed to myself.

atossab

Post by atossab » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:27 pm

LMAO.
Could you amagine him walking down the esplinade in a dust storm wackin on that bell
Its hard enough trying to hide the fact that I'm on eplaya in my cubicle, please don't make me laugh out load and chortle. Thanks.

coyone

Post by coyone » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:47 pm

hoping Donald walks in and screams "You're Fired"...it's about that time...
May your days be golden and your nights be a ragin'...

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:57 am

Oh please, my corporate hell of a job doesn't even have internet computers, which means I can only waste time on eplaya at home. I actually have to work to get through my work day. That's just inhumane.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:42 pm

I am now beyond distracted. I thought that I didn't want to spend 18 days on the playa and that 12.5 would be just fine. Wrong. I can't think of anything else now. I'm like an addict on the Eplaya just trying to get a little fix of BRC. Thing is I don't have anyone cracking a whip over me. I don't officially have to be at work, I'm not getting paid right now. However, I really do need to get into my classroom and set up since I will be gone just before school starts. Usually I'm excited about a new school year, but all I can think about is Burning Man, Burning Man, Burning Man. Help! (Guess it doesn't help that my S.O. is there already.)
Be the change you seek in the world.

birdbrain

eplaying at work

Post by birdbrain » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:19 pm

I'm lucky. As long as I am "there" for the cust (explaining what they can do in tourist town Moab, UT) when they come in, boss says can eplaya any time..Sunday is slowest day. Yea, I'm addicted (and so quickly too) BUT it does help me keep going w/ all the prep. which seems endless. Fearful belly of truck will be scraping ground by the time full of all the shit I need. Oh, to really be a bird and travel ultra-light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

Return to “Stories”