You really made my Burn!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Catblack

You really made my Burn!

Post by Catblack » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:46 pm

Hey All, this is an e-playa thread for telling everyone what themecamps, art experiences and encounters really made your Burn enjoyable this year!

For me, it was the Friday night Space Cowboy thing at the Temple of Gravity. We were over at Re:Orient at 10 o'clock, and I said to my campmates "Wait, this place was packed last night... what's that cluster of lights out on the horizon..." It wasn't for an hour that I realized all the art cars were playing the same beat. I just thought it was the drugs I was on... Space Cowboys - you guys get mad props! (And we got some pics of the sushi bar, too!)

The other group I'd like to mention was the folks from Fuzzy Nation. My campmates looked like a pair of muppets on Friday due to your generosity early in the week, and we made it to the fashoin show on Saturday after trying to find your camp for 2 days. You guys seriously made my Burn! They kept me warm and made me smile. I passed the gifts along Saturday and Sunday night. Perfecto!

Anyone else want to share some positive experiences?

nick

Mad Props to Image Node Camp

Post by nick » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:57 pm

Hey Catblack and my fellow burners,

Glad to see this thread as the board seems to be dominated by negative stories (many of which, unfortunately, rang true for me this year as well). That aside, I want to give some MAJOR props to all the fine folks at Image Node, which was one of the smaller Esplande camps. My story:

After arriving Saturday night and spending the better part of 3 days working my ass off ("What, I mixed the struts from 16' with the 24'?"), I finally decided to tour the city with some newbie friends of mine who had just come up. I was stressed out from both the responsibilities of building our theme camp and from several negative interactions I had with people who had cut through our camp, stolen hand made art and just generally been assholes.

Anyway, me and my newbie entourage popped into Image Node to check the scene. Being that it was Tuesday night, not much was happening, so we started chatting with what turned out to be one of the Image Node folks. Out of the blue, this Image Noder motioned to a door at the edge of their dome and said "Why don't you guys check out what's through that door?"

What was through the door was a secret mini-dome with a crinkled mylar roof held up by air being pumped in. The dome was totally empty except for some inflatable furniture and a selection of really cool hand-made LED light cubes.

Needless to say, the minute we crawled through that door and settled into the furniture, a huge smile lit up my face and I felt my stress and negativity drain away. Believe it or not, this small, unexpected gesture was the turning point in my burn this year!

After we sat around for awhile, some of the Image Noders came by and showed us other cool stuff including their home-made laser lava-lamp and vinyl covered back dome.

Long story short, this lact of kindness really turned my experience around and restored my faith in Burning Man.

So thanks to Image Node for all the hard work and friendly vibes!

-Nick

The Tribe of the Chattering Monks

dj big E

dj big "E"

Post by dj big E » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:50 pm

says hell yeah mad props to the space cowboys them nekt to the installation the microbroadcast the sushi and last but not least the unimog.nothing like all that good vibe going off especially as the sun comes up over the playa.When i arrive to brc i first find the man then the space cowboys and the unimog.Then i check out all the wonderful art thats out theyre that chandelier was definately beyond belief as well as the no diving installation as well as the one with the giant slabs of rock they were all beyond belief .another very small installation with x-rays of the brain really touched me but thats between me and the peace i would like to tell the artist thoe.anyways enough rambling dj big "E" over and out

orlando

by far

Post by orlando » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:56 pm

grady and paul at the Kecak Monkey Chant! singing so joyfully with so many bright shining souls

the contact improvdancers at center camp - understandinghtierjoy in expressive physicality in a dance language...

the folks that came back to abstininthe on purpose -even though we didn't list - serving drinks AS vincent van gogh...

having a ton of NYC burners there - connectingmoredeeply with new friends in a new context

seeing old old friends from the west

chatting about alien and human consciosness expansion and development with Daniel at center camp

hanging out with Charlie the chocolat martini guy and catching up

taking a bunch of newbies that 'got it' and seeing them warmup and crackopen

all the sexy gorgeousness yum!

the desert and big sky filling up my soul again

later in golden gate park remembering the how smell of eucalyptus pervades and clears my head.

running into paul from NZ though I thought I'd never see him again....finding out grady was the guy with the gamelan bike from years before....

finding out that there wasno reason to suspect that just because 2002 really sucked ass for me- that 2003 would be like that...it was glorious.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:52 am

Hats off to the folks at the Bad Idea Movie Theatre, purveyors of fine punch and bloody awful movies. Those guys rocked!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:36 pm

"You really made my burn!"

Now go home!

A II Z

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:49 pm

I want to send out a big thanks to the GLOM bar (part o' the Conglomerate village?). I was the guy who showed up 'bout 2 a.m. after the burn. I brought a few supplies, booze mostly, and the GLOM folks made me feel like I owned the place! The music, bar and patrons, just the all-around feel of the place was so cool. And the kaleidoscopes! Don't know who that mustachioed man with the kaleidoscopes was, but he, and all the Glommers, made my burn! Thank you so much.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:49 am

To the Heebeegeebee Healers camp, for keeping me upwardly mobile throughout the burn.

To Costco...cause they're costco

To the Thunderdome...cause I don't want to get on the bad-side of any of the kids at that camp. Plus the Thunderdome's the thing I look for every year.

To the nice folks who lent me a couch to have sex on when me and the girl I was with were too drunk to find either of our camps.

To the absinthe bars, for being partially responsible for the above-mentioned sexual encounter.

To the performance bar next to Space Virgins. Best drink I had all week, and all I had to do was sing for it.

To the fire-spinners. ALL OF THEM. I can sit and watch that stuff for hours without getting bored. It's truely beautiful and amazing.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Who made my Burn

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:48 pm

Random Chance, Audacity Camp, and the rest of the Pottie People.
and...
Poopers like you!

Keep up the good work spreading the Wholly Werd of Excremental Correctness!

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:43 pm

props to "recycle camp"! and beer can crushing wheels.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Miss Kate

Post by Miss Kate » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:45 pm

Oden, a gentle giant dressed in a brown fur costume in a niche under the Man. His hands were as big as my feet and he let me hold his thumb while he told my friends and me a story. He was wonderful.

The giggly couple inside the platform of the Man who were to be married the next day. She was a goddess, pearly white; he was her slim mocha prince. When I asked them what they loved most about each other, they didn’t need to think, they smiled, looked into each other’s eyes and told each other why they were so precious to each other. I still think about them and wish them joy.

Whoever it was that put a bottle of bubbles on my bike while I was missing my beloved cat in the Temple. Even though it’s been years, I still miss him terribly and after having such an emotional moment all by myself, I returned to my bike where happiness waited for me in soapy suds.

My great friends, for being such caring and agreeable people who never minded taking the hike to the potties. Amazing to stay in a group with no one lost all night!

And of course- my husband who is my best friend in the whole wide world, and the hottest guy I’ve seen on the playa.

And I can't forget Larry!

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:16 pm

All the contact dancers in center camp. I had avoided it for days, and the first time i wandered in i thought i was imagining it all. it's one of the only things i really want for me. just. more. contact. dance. *sigh*

and to Space Virgins, for fixing up my playa nose that was bleeding all over a white shirt that didn't belong to me, nursing my gushing nostrils and laughing alongside.
surlier than thou

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:45 am

JezebelinHell wrote:
To the nice folks who lent me a couch to have sex on when me and the girl I was with were too drunk to find either of our camps.

To the absinthe bars, for being partially responsible for the above-mentioned sexual encounter.
to jezibeliinhell:

for the energy that is still flowing around this astral plain from you having sex on our couch even 30 days from the BM Event.

Ooops, I'm out of ultraglide.

Be back real soon!

The couch is still available!

A II Z

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:47 am

Rian Jackson wrote: and to Space Virgins, for fixing up my playa nose that was bleeding all over a white shirt that didn't belong to me, nursing my gushing nostrils and laughing alongside.
And to Rian!

Thanks for the bloody shirt!

I will now clone it for our babies!

A II Z

Dardanian

Unsung heros, my adopted Playa ICU, and Womens Temple

Post by Dardanian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:46 am

First, I want to give a nod to the folks who make BRC work-- The greeters, Rangers, Lamplighters, et al... My camp is always open to them!

Second, the Laughlin, NV Not named camp-- a great group of folks who took in an E'd out and dehydrated teenager I found in the interior playa and could neither leave behind nor take with me (why do people take drugs they have no experience with alone, and in the middle of a desert?!?) They kindly took in a second such person a few days later. Makeshift ICU camp rocks!

Third, the Womens Temple. Their "recieving the men" night recharged me for both the event... and honestly the whole next year. If Burning Man in general was a tornado of YANG YANG YANG YANG YANG, they were the yin aspected eye of it. I forget the name of the Coconut Guy who was there that night... but if you are reading this, your playa gift (coconut milk passed from person to person) was the best!
-Christopher of Aeneadae
Per ardua ad astra

dj big E

space cowboys, diane ,and english chap

Post by dj big E » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:01 pm

Yes as usual space cowboys party on fri was the shiznit. The micro broadcast was truly sweet. Long live the mog!!!!!!!!!! Diane from phoenix you made my burn we met three times for about a minute each. Twice you blessed me with a kiss brrrrrrr still thinking about it. I met a great burner from england allthough your name slips my mind wright now. We had a long talk about bm, acen, aphrodite. You gifted me with a single bead from india I put it on a necklace and will be sporting it this year!!!!!!!!!! So many more things made my burn I would say those were top three. As well as big ron letting me spin in camp weirdo's nitros dome. LMFAO literally woooooooooooooooooooo :twisted:

Sobretta Franjipan

Post by Sobretta Franjipan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:37 am

the contact improvdancers at center camp - understandinghtierjoy in expressive physicality in a dance language...
You just made my Burn

*grinning ear to ear*

CadyMae

Thanks to Cracker, Aoxomoxoa, Green Tortoise, and David Best

Post by CadyMae » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:40 am

WOW!!!!! There is absolutely no way I can describe how incredible my first Burn was. Working back to front. The Temple Burn was one of the prettiest things I have ever seen. The twinkling embers in the sky were mind-blowing. And The Man Burning was fabulous. Thanks to all the people who gave of themselves in conversations that warmed my soul and my heartfelt thanks goes out to Cracker at Gasso. I'll smile at your memory for the rest of my life. But most importantly my thanks goes out to the folks at Camp Aoxomoxoa. You made me realize how extended the Tribe really is that I could go 3000 miles away and feel like I was at home.

Green Tortoise was a perfectly fine way to get to the playa. It worked you know? Their shade structure was perfect. Their food was extraordinary so that makes up for the oddness of the transport. In fact I found myself rather thankful that the ride to and fro was so strange. Drove home the transition between the playa and the real world.

Kiba

Post by Kiba » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:18 am

Clowns and Santas - for helping me remember how to laugh

Lush - Phatty beats and the most welcoming atmosphere I encountered.

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:32 am

Meeting up with some heads from Colorado, who were playing drum and bass all week. I am very greatful for hookin up with these cats, they were very welcoming and we shared the same interests (dank, dark twisted bass, drums, ect...) Props to the crew at 9 & Mars!!!

also the random acts of kindness by our neighbors! someone came over to our camp at 6 & uranus with grapefuit & some sugar rock-candy, very sweet and we appreciated it immensely.

The guys from Humbolt & Grass Valley at the TRUTH bar!!!!! servin' it up all week. I met some really awesome people at that bar and the fellas that were running it were cool guys. (one of my favoriate hang-outs for the week)

Last Real Burner

.......HHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:09 am

All the cool people I met leaving the burn. We did not break camp until Tue. morning, so we were almost the only camp left on Sedna. When the line got long as the wait many people left their cars came over sat and chatted in the shade of our camp. I met some amazing people, Austin, James, Pink(?), Rita the glassblower from Bama, just to name a few. My campmate who did not realize that the Rainbow shade thingy on top of our van was stopping the ladies from attending our camp (I tried to tell him, but, "Oh No, It is just a rainbow. Everybody'll know." Five minutes after he took it down our camp was full of women. (what a "Dumb Ass"). And to all the beautiful naked women who flittered around and through the event, Thank you, "You" made my burn. When I tell people about it, especailly the guys, their first reaction is "You're a filmmaker I know you've got video" to which I have to say no, and the few times when my video cam was running, I made a concious effert not viddy naked women (a fucking total invasion of privacy IMHO)

"It's not my job to make your experince"

sufficly,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

miss oh so sexy

Post by miss oh so sexy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:07 pm

Sensei wrote:I want to send out a big thanks to the GLOM bar (part o' the Conglomerate village?). I was the guy who showed up 'bout 2 a.m. after the burn. I brought a few supplies, booze mostly, and the GLOM folks made me feel like I owned the place! The music, bar and patrons, just the all-around feel of the place was so cool. And the kaleidoscopes! Don't know who that mustachioed man with the kaleidoscopes was, but he, and all the Glommers, made my burn! Thank you so much.
Much love to you too! You do own the place....

Scathingharpy

OOOohhhhh THATs what thats called

Post by Scathingharpy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:26 am

[quote="Rian Jackson"]All the contact dancers in center camp. I had avoided it for days, and the first time i wandered in i thought i was imagining it all. it's one of the only things i really want for me. just. more. contact. dance. *sigh*

Contact dancing. Ive never witnessed it, but my husband seems to see it all the time...Ive thought until now that it was just a hallucination....

My husband made my burn. As kitchen goddess for 30 fabulous and gorgeous young gays and lesbians, my duties were...more challenging than they needed to be, probably. He was a terrific support, knowing just when to rush in and take the knife from my hands.
"They aint WORF it, [email protected][email protected][email protected]@?"
Also for his
"belly fetish" promotion. Did anyone hear this? I kissed more lovely bellies this week....
"Everyone is someone else's Weirdo"

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:36 am

Karma, you made our first Burn. As raw newbies, when the big winds of Tuesday pulverised our camp and filled our tent with dust, and we were totally disheartened, we didn't think we had what it takes and were ready to beat a retreat for home that day. But you showed us how far we'd come already, convincing us to stay and see it through, you gave us (and others!) shelter, booze and companionship, and counseled us to surrender to the elements, not fight them. Thanks to your encouragement and kindness most of our camp stuck it out until an emergency at home forced us to leave on Saturday, and we had the most amazing week of our lives. If not for you, we may not have had any Burn at all.
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:37 am

Totem, for the oasis of cool during my critical healing days. Chuck of Arabia for telling to come and visit. The generous folks who fed and watered me.

Utah burners, faboo each and every one.

The guy in Center Cafe with the frozen chocolates. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

Canadian snowcone folks for the the snowball fight.

Hushvillians, of course.

Tiff, for being the bestest niece and newbie ever.

Ranger Genius for babysitting me off-playa when Larry is OTR.

Larry, for working so hard to make my life a joy.

And you, you over there ... nake guy, warrior woman, shiny blinky people ... yeah, you too!

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:57 am

All of my campmates and neighbours were amazing- I thanked them every day. And Woo for letting us be a part of their love monkeyness.

My boyfriend for going with me- he didn't want to go and had absolutely no idea where I was taking him- yet he had the best time and we got even closer than ever.

The Deep End- what a fun and giving bunch of guys you are- we were all so happy you held down the end of our block.

My spank-for-a-drink Tuesday night on the conglomerate bar- thanks for getting me started.

The popcorn people- I was itching for a megaphone and lo and behold you let me be your barker for a while one night. Fun. "Orifices, while receptacles, are not suitable containers for popcorn."

Duncan for guiding me though the flight to Mars after at least 5 failed attempts.

The holy gong show folks for the dancing at Elcirco Thursday night...and the rest of the dancers there too...my favourite night of dancing.

Dr. Rupert for the beautiful words Saturday morning at the temple- they still make me feel good. And the beautiful crying woman who let me give her a hug.

Lane and the rest of the bouncy bouncers- so much fun on your boat early in the week and then running into you on Saturday night, cruising around and getting to watch the sunrise with a snowcone and snuggling Elvis and Day- perfect. You are wonderful hosts and people.

Stuart and Rian, the first eplayans I met, for being so warm and welcoming.

The rest of the eplayans I met for being your wonderful sharing selves, and the first shrimp I've eaten in at least 10 years. The meet and greet was the only 'planned' event I made it to and I'm so thankful for that.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:23 am

Oh, ps, most all of you who I mention above met me by my name, Velvet, just in case you see yourself there and are wondering who the heck this sparkletarte chick is.

bullD

Post by bullD » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:32 am

Hopefuly everybody had the pleasure to get some popcorn in the 3:00 plaza. Damn good idea. Thanks much to that camp!
What really caught my attention however was the Popcorn Godess art car and more importantly the Godess driving it while promoting free popcorn. Camps like this and people like her make a cold/windy night on the playa all good. I will be wearing the pins she gave me warmly and with pride...

mars

Post by mars » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:30 pm

Black Rock Rangers made my burn, by putting out an unintended burn. Neighbors' RV caught fire in the middle of the night and it was far worse than our 2 little fire extinguishers could handle. The RV was surrounded by other RV's and cars and no one was around to move anything. The scope of disaster this could have been is mind boggling, but for the Rangers.

Black Rock Rangers Rock!!! Thanks for saving my/our burn!

P.S. Burning RV's look really cool!

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:49 am

YEAH BullD! PoPcOrN Boy and the PoPcorn Goddess are the best type of people! The lost space explorers from ShortFuse have worked Thursday in the Palace 4 years now! Aint nobody touchin' Thursday got it! Thursday is ours suckaz! Step off!

I really wanna thank the people who made the oasis called "Un-hot"! F!cking pure genius way to get people to git all nekkid and wet and then send them to the gallery soze they can watch the others get all nekkid and wet!!! HOT HOT HOT

Pure love sent out the all those who worked on SENSORIA: D-6 (cosmic sound scape bot), Mad Scientist Munz (All night bot action! and: The screen that melts minds!), Sullywan for working his ass ass off! The "It" grrl for looking hot and being very funny and sweet! Happy and Joe for their camper and food-spitality! Munz-senior for tech support, tools, hauling, and beer drinkin'! Heather for keeping the scientist's head in the damn game dammit! Ben bot for background checks and tech robot action!
ROBOTS UNITE

Return to “Stories”