AMBER Alert abuse

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: AMBER Alert abuse

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Don't think they're not.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:20 pm

The 14 year old was separated from her Mom at the Man Burn, she asked Rangers to help find her daughter in the crowd (she also specifically asked for no Amber Alert, but it was reported to LEO so out of her hands).

The 17 year old was with her boyfriend and stayed out all night and didn't turn up for 'curfew'.

Neither was a (potential) abduction situation.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 pm

gaminwench wrote:(she also specifically asked for no Amber Alert, but it was reported to LEO so out of her hands).
There wasn't an AMBER Alert. That's an important detail here that most people keep glossing over. What happened at BM, the decisions BRC organizers made, have nothing to do with the AMBER Alert system.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 pm

The AMBER Alert is a Child Abduction Emergency. Even though these incidents weren't necessarily abductions, and didn't use the official (AMBER) alert systems, and nobody really bothered to alert anyone about what was going on, I think it can be excused that people call the exodus-shutdown-to-locate-some-kid-that-is-possibly-abducted an "AMBER Alert" in the Child Abduction Emergency sense.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Stories”