Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Candybox
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 am

Best:

—Being part of the Anubis build crew, and the payoff of watching something we worked really hard on being enjoyed by tons of people. In a similar note, the friendships we made our Anubis playa family.

—Cruising in the gates with no line because of early entry, and being able to watch BRC slowly wake up

—Seeing the Temple for the first time. My boyfriend comes into the tent telling me it's AMAZING, a word he doesn't use very often, and being even more blown away when I see it in person. One of the most amazing structures I've ever seen in my life. David Best is brilliant.

—The Pier II

—One of our goals was to actually make it to day events this year, instead of staying out past sunrise and sleeping into the afternoon. We managed to do quite a bit of that, and had awesome days. We hippied it up at Nectar Village doing yoga and contact improv and massage, and we blissed out.

—Grilled Cheese Camp. Snow Koan Solar. Eye-land Oasis. The crazy roller coaster wheel thing at the campe with the lazy turtle mascot. DeMentha. Saraswati Tea House at Above the Limit. Spanky's toys.

—Being able to magically meet up with or run into people we knew at key moments, despite a population of thousands, no means of communication, and few working timepieces.

—Dancing to I Dressed Myself

—Finding tooth floss, probably the one item I wanted more than anything (serious, we even looked in Empire...) in a Trading Tree. Playa magic was strong this year.

—The Crazy Cone camp (our name for them) next door were amazing neighbors. Cool as fuck, no sound system or generators, great landmark due to their tall pyramid shapes.

—Wayne, the Crazy Cone patriarch, gave me a little raw ceramic Fertility wish figurine and told me to fire it in the heart of Anubis' burn. He'd made a bunch with the idea that the figurines would probably perish or get lost during big burns. Well, we were firing ceramic clay tiles as IndieGoGo perks in Anubis anyway, so we stuck my figurine with the tiles. After the burn, all the tiles and the metal container they were firing in got stolen before anyone could get to them. Except my figuring got left behind! And it got fired in the burn! I treasure that little thing like crazy.

—Having a tea party out the back of the Neverwas Haul on the playa

—Cruising out Sunday morning with absolutely no line at Exodus

And the BEST moment of my burn, and one of the most amazing moments of my life, was watching the Anubis burn on Friday night, backlit by the Man, under the blue moon, going up in a blaze of pyrotechnic glory, steadfastly facing the wind while trailing a cowl of fire. Burn Wall Street pissed off the pyro guys by not getting their fire parameter ready, so the pyro guys turned around and stuffed our dog with Wall Street's fireworks. It was such an experience for me, watching something we worked months on going up in fireworks and flames, surrounded by thousands of onlookers and art cars all out to watch it burn.

Worst:

—Leaving for a "quick" trip to Empire and Gerlach the Friday before the event. We'd cruised in on Wednesday with absolutely no line, so we figured how bad could it be if the even hasn't even started? As we're leaving, there's only maybe 5 cars in line, but less than an hour later... EVERYONE arrives at once. And we're stuck in an entry line for 2.5 hours.

—The art car next door coming back, full blast, early Monday morning. Was jolted awake from deep sleep to searing, shocking aural pain. It was horrible. Somebody must've complained, because we never had problems with their volume again.

—Burning out extra early in the week from working in the desert for extra long. My hair was turning into one giant dread before the party even started. Our organized tent was already a filthy, disorganized mess by Tuesday. We were crashing out, turning in early. Saturday afternoon, we come back for dinner, and decide to take a 15 minute nap that turned into an 8 hour sleep. Totally missed the burn. We try to go out, since we've only gone out one night... and end up passing out in a corner at Saraswati Tea House for an additional 5 hours. By the time we left, we were ready to go.

So we never got to explore the Deep Playa. Barely went out at night. Didn't even see the 2:30 sound camps. We were exhausted, and also we were getting up at 8:30 to do yoga. Burning Man is so big and vast, you really can't do EVERYTHING you want and have your cake and eat it too. But really, this was an AMAZING burn that rivals my first one (you know, where you're a virgin and it totally BLOWS YOUR MIND).

Candybox

Re: The good, the bad and the ugly for 2012

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:
factoid wrote:Good:
- Watching the Wall Street pyro go off for the Anubis burn after the Powers that Be stripped it from Burn Wall Street for mysterious reasons

Word is that it had something to do with the fact that people were still crawling around in it and BWS didn't have their shit together in time. The pyro people have their own shit to do and it sounds like the idea was, they were hired to blow shit up at a certain place, time, and so they just shifted the place a bit to an art piece that was ready to go.

They really pissed off the pyro, who showed up that morning with a team of 25 guys to find that not only did they not have their fire perimeter set up, but BWS was more interested in putting up Frog Bat than getting ready. They were basically forcing the pyro team to wait around on their time. Since Anubis was ready to roll, the pyro guys 86'd the Friday Wall Street Burn and stuffed Anubis with all or most of Wall Street's fireworks.

The pyro was much appreciated, but I did feel bad for Wall Street's build crew. Word is that it was pretty much a labor camp and they were driven really hard. :-/

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 am

delle wrote:
TomServo wrote:Best:
Getting married in first camp..

Tattoogoddess wrote:Best:
Getting married at first camp

What?

:shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:06 am

Best: Being thanked and knowing that somehow I helped changed the lives of two virgins whom I helped attend this year. I didn't change lives.. they did.. but helping to be the catalyst for that is awe inspiring.

Worst: Having to wait another year to do it allllllllllllll over again..

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Postby skippy3k » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 am

Candybox wrote:They really pissed off the pyro, who showed up that morning with a team of 25 guys to find that not only did they not have their fire perimeter set up, but BWS was more interested in putting up Frog Bat than getting ready. They were basically forcing the pyro team to wait around on their time.

I'll second this. This same thing was told to us by our "kid" neighbors, who we learned early on to take everything they told us as gospel. These twenty-somethings were somehow plugged into the inner workings of BRC from Day 2.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:02 am

Best:

*Dialing back my work commitments on-playa. Last time I was in BRC, I was checking my watch a lot more than in defaultia. In fact, I don't ever use a watch in defaultia. (Okay, it's 'cause I check the little clock in the corner of my computer screen. But I digress...) I had two scheduled work shifts for the whole week, which were plenty tough and challenging in different ways. The rest of the time I was able to stretch out and let things take as long as they needed to take.

*Instead of camping with a huge camp of 100+ people, I set up camp with one friend who really has her shit together. We got to spend some time hanging out becoming better friends, spend some time off doing our own things, and relax knowing that we each were taking care of ourselves and our camp.

*Bringing my boombox and attaching it to my bike to provide my own soundtrack at times. Also, listening to the radio hipped my campmate to a spur-of-the-moment volunteer opportunity that she really enjoyed.

*Turning in early one night, blissfully comfortable in my sleeping bag, and marveling at the absolutely raging psychotic freight train chug of noise being created by BRC's citizens. Never keeps me from falling asleep, fortunately.

*Hanging out in the shade under the pier... watching the sunset from Zonotopia... finally finding the Black Rock Bijou and mangking down on some peanut M&Ms, watching the first 20 minutes of The Wizard of Oz, then heading off to see Wall Street burn!

*Being able to take a brief nap in the evening and then successfully waking up to go out all night!

*Seeing parents and their kids playing and exploring together. Which leads me to

Worst:

*Missing my baby while I was there. Woyy, it was tough. In retrospect maybe this was a bit to early to be gone for a week. I also need to come up with some way to be in touch more easily in case of emergency. But anyhow, maybe in 4 or 5 years, if she's interested, I might take her to BRC and have a totally new kind of burn!
Ain't it a groove?

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

Best:
Inflatable Chairs! Everyone said they'd pop, but they kicked fucking ass and we had several people sleep over under our monkey hut in these chairs. They lasted all week without a single problem.

Explaining to the 60 year old lady bartending on an art car what I meant by saying "I need a REALLY strong drink because I've got 3 hot girls with me". I paused about 5 seconds and said: "Um, maybe that sounded kinda douchey... one of them is my girlfriend of 6 years, the other two are close friends". We then became good friends :).

Our friends that showed up at 5am on Tuesday and immediately popped 3 bottles of champagne

Girlfriend getting a 4-5 inch gash on her leg from rebar on Day 1, then getting 20 perfect stitches within 45 minutes by our doctor next door who brought a sterile suture kit & antibiotics.

Giving up our extra 50 feet of frontage to some Swedish virgins on day 2. They kicked ass.

Getting a night out with the 4 most responsible/self reliant people in my camp, and watching the sun rise with them. How relaxing.

Immense amounts of work setting up/breaking down camp.

Worst:

Immense amounts of work setting up/breaking down camp.

Driving through the night from San Fran.

Trying to sleep in the deep playa with my exhausted GF only to realize our layers didnt cut it, and we had to ride back to camp.

Exhaustion.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Candybox

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:40 am

skippy3k wrote:
Candybox wrote:They really pissed off the pyro, who showed up that morning with a team of 25 guys to find that not only did they not have their fire perimeter set up, but BWS was more interested in putting up Frog Bat than getting ready. They were basically forcing the pyro team to wait around on their time.

I'll second this. This same thing was told to us by our "kid" neighbors, who we learned early on to take everything they told us as gospel. These twenty-somethings were somehow plugged into the inner workings of BRC from Day 2.

I was told this by the head pyro guy himself, while his team was stuffing Anubis full of BWS fireworks.

gibson_

Postby gibson_ » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:03 am

I heard the same thing about BWS. In fact, I never heard really anything even remotely good about BWS. Otto was a dick to everybody, it didn't go up, it was disorganized, etc.

But fuck it. That's what happens. BWS was *HUGE* and incredibly ambitious. Shit goes wrong, the man will burn again next year and it will be even bigger and better and dustier than it was this year.

(I also love the rumors I've heard floating around. Like that BWS was going to be bigger than the man burn, so Larry Harvey told them they couldn't burn it because the man needed to be the biggest. Or something.)

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 am

junglesmacks wrote:Best: Being thanked and knowing that somehow I helped changed the lives of two virgins whom I helped attend this year. I didn't change lives.. they did.. but helping to be the catalyst for that is awe inspiring.

Worst: Having to wait another year to do it allllllllllllll over again..

Uh.. oh yeah..

Best: She said yes!

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

junglesmacks wrote:Uh.. oh yeah..

Grats! Must have been the light suit :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Candybox

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 am

I forgot a Best moment:

A couple of good playa friends had given me bracelets. One of them was a 8-knot-across friendship bracelet, which is really nice and not just any playa swag. Anyhow, they were important to me. I took them off in the HeeBeeGeeBee tent during morning yoga, and accidentally left them behind.

A couple hours later, I rode back to see if they might be still there. I had my doubts since a lot of Burners stumbling upon some random bracelets would think, "Ooh, playa gift!" and take them. I know I would.

Along the way, I stopped by the French Quarter and had another sachet of scented bath salts made (French Quarter Botanicals, by the way, are another Best), just to have another nice smelling thing in hand, just because I could. As I got to the healer tent, I saw my bracelets just sitting there, on a pillow, beside some lounging girl.

I audibly gasped and put them back on. She told me they'd been saving the bracelets, and I gifted her my new sachet in gratitude. And on the way back, I MOOPED a silk flower and discovered Grilled Cheese Camp for the first time.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

Best: Dancing with my Friends at the Rootie Bootie Mash-up Party. best.set.ever.

every sun rise and sunset that i saw.

landing at BRC when there was nothing, and watching it grow.

the grilled cheese sandwich that magically appeared just when we really wanted it.

whatever drug we took on thursday.

The 3 year old kid who was touching and kissing the giant wooden sculpture of a goddess in front of our camp.

finding eddie's wallet and ID after we thought it was lost.

Worst:

realizing that the camp you poured your heart and soul into was a sham and that i was dr. faust.

Finding out on the way to Reno early sunday to bring Danielle to the airport, that an old GF had died suddenly.

the lonely Ride back to Black Rock City to clean up was the worst 2 hours i've had in a long, long time.
“Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”

– Leonardo da Vinci

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Wait.. Thursday.. that was our drunken stumbling day into the teepee..

:idea:

*cough*cough*

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:04 pm

yes.

exactly.

im so down with the brown.... :twisted:
“Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”

– Leonardo da Vinci

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

wh..sh

Postby wh..sh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Best -

Spending time with a super special friend of mine.

Driving in BRC and spotting "last bar standing". It was the first moment of actualisation.
I am sorry I couldn't go back to meet Lonesomebri.

Volunteering Ygmir to be the victim, in combat flipping 8)

That tall, big guy... who jumped from the stage and landed on my foot at Opulent temple and before I could scream of pain, he grabbed me in his arms, apologized and held me till I felt better.
I am not sure if there was better way to apologize. I had that grinning-in-pain look.

Walking alone at 2 am, on a cold night and being offered the princess seat on the double-tandem-mad-hatter bike? Hell, yeah!
The 4 hot knights really knew a thing or two about chivalry.

Eating watermelon on a hot, dusty afternoon

Spotting EmilyD's boat costume

Eplaya Meet 'n Greet - Meeting Figjam, Elliot, magicmarty, Ygmir, Doc, Fishy, Triken, Shambala, Robbidobbs, Ninzy, Nipple, Savannah, Emily,
drawingblank, Kire, Cat, lucky420, AntiM, Bigdane, Foxfur, Mel, tamarakay, Ken, JS and so many others!
And then there was...
    BBadger
    illy dilly's hugs
    Turtleburp's coffee liquor shots
    Sammiwagon's grilled cheese.. yummm!
    MyLarry's candy flavored vodka
    Danibel's screaming hug

Getting lost during Friday night white out

Adopting wayward art from AntiM

Vulturecrow's trash fence

Wearing a cape

Learning how to hoop, with resulting bruises

Everything!

Worse -

Witnessing too many people peeing on playa. Especially one lady who decided to pee under an art installation.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:40 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Uh.. oh yeah..

Yea!

Congrats, my friend!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

CarrieSnarf

Postby CarrieSnarf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Sammiwagon's grilled cheese.. yummm!

It was great to meet you as well :)

Looking at my last post- there were too many negatives when I indeed had the best burn ever. So, fuck the worst- MORE BEST

Best:
-The art and art cars: the flaming octopus car that I always saw in the distance and couldn't get close enough too. The taxodermied owl in pier 2. the lucky cat that gave fortunes. The cool space music toy made with a kinect. The cat condo- and its awesome owners who gave us a tour post cheese. the multiple barrel dragon cars. the spinning rock sculpture at center camp and the rock climb who free climbed the middle stone as it spun. the stagecoach we chased down on our bike.
-Putting faces to names at Meet and Greet. Eating ribs and pineapple upsidedown cake ice cream. and expresso martinis.. And whoever pickled those veggies- you rock.
-The people who brought me a mocha so I could keep making grilled cheese outside of center camp.
-The ridiculously awesome Burner Badges camp- that Rosie the burner badge will live on my backpack until it rots off.
-Letting go of some body issues and letting the boobies free.
-Ever blended icy margarita and daiquiri that I got serving sandwiches in the burbs.
-Having a bacon runner to run food swaps between us and the bacon cart. and then having the awesome dudes at bacon cart come over and chat about mobile food cart building.
-Having people fish for grilled cheese off of the deck of Pier 2.

Bestest:
-That hippy who bit me and humped my leg at pier 2 when I made him a sandwich. Sadly I'm not vaccinated against hippy so I had to shoo him off, but it's not burning man without some weirdos :)
-Showing my two birgins the fucking eye bleeding spectacle and them finally understanding why I have been madly working and plotting and planning for months and months. And having one them already declaring she's going back for more.
-The magic moment when my friend said "God, all I want is a hammock themed art car right now" and in 3 minutes we were gently swinging on hammocks amongst palm trees and monkeys.
-Being Camp Mom- having my friends who introduced me to burns on the east coast tell me that they would not have survived without me. Felt good to do right by the people who got me here. They taught me to try, above all things, to give more than you get at burns- and fucking hell they know what they are talking about.
-Turning any corner and finding a new awesome thing- water bar? sure. Dodgeball camp? absolutely.
-Getting an "orbital buffing" as a gift. So strange, but so awesome.

Most Bestester:
-My friend dawning a lobster costume at our screaming giggling request and then singing us the entirety of "Under the Sea". I have not laughed that hard in way too long.
-The temple. A friend summed it up so well: I'm an atheist, there is no god, but burns are my religion. I found that spiritual part of myself again in that temple. The shriveled little thing that was my insides was so immediately filled the minute my foot touched that gate.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com

nolaflamingo
Burning Since: 2012

Postby nolaflamingo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:24 pm

This is my first burn. I traveled from Saint Petersburg, Fl. All & All I loved it.
First visiting with my friends in Sparks before going to the burn. Added to the building Anticipation!
Welcome home by that special smiley clown greeter at 9AM Monday morning.
Welcoming greeting by Zeke at Orphan Endorphan Camp.
The greatest eclectic campmates at the Hookah Lounge, everyone was so helpful.
Best "Double Shot Espresso" on the playa within walking distance. Thanks Helga & Espresso Dude and camp.
Pier II, Glam Mantis glammed me-thanks Mr Jellyfish & Random, El pulpo Mechanico, The Temple.. Black Rock Post office Gang, The girls at Flamingo Wonderland, Steampunk Saloon -Wed nite party. So much to see, not enough energy or time to see it all.

I did not care for the way long long long long wait Monday morning. Thousands of people at will call with only 10 box offices open...
Next time I can wait till Tuesday to enter. or get early entry.
Dust storms & white out, I was at 4:15 and A- but hey, it is the desert.
Loud mouth "princess" & heckler with bullhorn at "the castle" was Sooo annoying.
"If it's Tacky, it's for me!"

Snow

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Candybox wrote:
skippy3k wrote:

I was told this by the head pyro guy himself, while his team was stuffing Anubis full of BWS fireworks.

This is only part of the reason, I can't go into more publicly

Being part of the BWS crew was very trying to say the least. Got out there on the 12th and was torture nearly every day for various reasons, and there were good moments too. But for me seeing the angst in the graffiti on BWS made it all worth while for me. I was sorely disappointed that the fuel mines I made never got put to use to blow up BWS.

and no, Larry did not throttle back the burn size, I think we eclipsed the man with the Trojan Horse last year.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

One of the bestest:

This song.. every day.. at 4:20.. from our neighbors across the street. This will forever stick in my mind as the anthem of the 2012 burn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcdGkFsfUM4

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Uh.. oh yeah..

YAY and CONGRATS!!!

how could she refuse? really?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 pm

queen_o_sheba wrote:WORST: potentially getting fired from job

I have a chronic medical condition and had a flare up on playa making me unable to travel home on Thursday. I am out on legal disability and have MUCH medical documentaion on file. My spouse, also on playa, needed to be back at work on Friday. Since we didn't have cell phone service, we sent a message with a friend who was going off-playa to our housesitter asking her to email his boss explaining. As it happened this was on Thursday morning before the gates closed. Even if I had been able to travel we wouldn't have left until after the Pershing County gate closure and so would not have been able to exit. I didn't seek medical attention on playa as it IS a chronic condition, and I know what needs to be done.

My husband's HR department is saying that the email from the housesitter was insufficient, it is being considered a "no show" day. They say they will NOT accept a medical note from my primary doctor, only a doctor from BM on THAT day. They have sent him home today while they discuss "what to do". This is in California.

It seems to me he is protected by FMLA since he HAS discussed my medical condition with HR in the past. It also seems to me that this HR director is way out of line and taking it personally. We need to know what legal recourse we have in this matter, especially if they decide to fire him.

We would like to find a burner-friendly lawyer in So Cal (San Diego would be awesome) to help us with this.

HELP! (and much dusty thanks)

Sheba

A couple of things: FMLA doesn't work that way, even if his company is subject to it. It's not a protection that's invoked whenever it fits day to day. It's where you meet with your employer and declare that you need to take unpaid leave to provide care that falls under one of it's definitions. An example of this is "I need three weeks to go move my parents out of their own home into a paid nursing facility." The employer agrees to give you the leave and you return on the agreed date, etc.

If he's not under a collective bargaining agreement from a union or other entity, he's likely an at-will employee and they can fire him if they like. Sorry.

If there are other conversations he's had with them re: your medical condition or with regard to communicating during his time off at the burn, that may have some bearing, but keep in mind all those solutions would require you to hire and pay an attorney, etc.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Lord Of Ruin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

devilgrrl wrote:Best

My camp mates. Kiting on the playa. Running into a classmate I haven't seen in over 35 years. All the positive vibrations from other burners. No yahoo encounters. The Greeters who cheered me up. The art. Wall Street. The Temple. The Man. YOU!!!!

Worst

Being stopped at the gate for the sole purpose of asking me if I had a ticket. You've got to be shitting me!

Huh? Are you talking being stopped at the Apex prior to Will Call? 'cause that's where we ask that so we know to direct you to will call or not. There are many ways to ask it...but eventually just asking DO YOU HAVE YOUR TICKET is the fastest, most direct that doesn't invite a fuckin' conversation.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Lord Of Ruin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
WORST: The stupid bitch at Gate who refered to early Burners as "her dummies" because they arrived a couple of hours early thinking that there would a much, much longer line to the gate. You must think you're pretty fucking awesome to greet people to BRC by insulting them, there, Precious, but you should probably put your Snow White costume back on and go find a job at Disneyland because you're the shittiest excuse for a BRC volunteer we've EVER encountered one playa. In contrast, our DMV experience was great!

Well gee. When the opening time is clearly publicized AND you are warned not to come early as it jeoparidizes the event AND because the basic transit time math from Reno to Gelach is pretty simple....yet you failed completely. What are you if not a dummy? Dipshit? Entitled super burner?

To be frank, I'm a little disappointed this is all she called you. I'm going to look up the schedule to find out who worked with you so I can provide them with more colorful insults for you next time.

I mean I know it's ok with you if we create a whole subdepartment just to go babysit you entitled fuckwits over in the stack lot because you just can't wait to get your sparkle on and all, but we have a job to do helping the people that play along nicely with all the other campers. As an aside, you DO know that's a gift from the Gate department do you for your convenience, right? The actual, formal thing is to ask you to leave the closure zone until opening time. As in go back to Reno or somewhere else and try not to get a ticket from LEO while you wait.

So why don't you come on out and volunteer for us next year? I'm sure you're sunny disposition and endless patience with people that ignore virtually anything you say to them will be just the ticket we need. You'll come help us, right? RIGHT?

Just shoot an email to gatevc@burningman.com and reference that you're an eplaya helper bunny and they'll get you in the queue.

LoR
Last edited by Lord Of Ruin on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Of Ruin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Bounce530 wrote:RH- Your "cross the street" assholes, must have been across the 4:30 side, right? cause we were your across D neighbors, and I know nothing if the asshatery that you're talking about with the cans and glow sticks.

Did you guys repeatedly report them to Rangers and Placement? They have a variety of behavior modification/reeducation tools at their disposal if they get enough complaints.

LoR

marcgorcey

Love These Responses...

Postby marcgorcey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Ok, here goes mine:

BEST

Hosting Super Street Fire on Wednesday with my lady - playing a daft French sailor
The F*** Truck
Being an Earth Guardian
Hosting Blues Jam @ The Lost Penguin on Saturday and packing the place as awesome old pros dropped in to play with us
Drinks at the Dusty Swan - doing a limerick on the bar
Reading the Guide on Tuesday and actually DOING what I had planned, including Trash Fence visit, Steely Dan drinks and going to the Town Hall
The crazy light show that is/was the middle of the Playa
Jonathan Richman Sing Along
Taking a lot of showers
Having a randomly great bike

WORST

Too much MOOP
Darkwad clumps- including a total dick riding a scooter on the Esplanade at night with no lights
Playa throat
Playa lip

AND... BEST BEST BEST

The Burgins -> you guys were great, even though there were a lot of darkwads, and you asked some crazy questions ("Are there bathrooms here ?" "What is 'Esplanade' ?") - you were all into the spirit of it 100%. You got me excited about the event, and I loved you way more than I thought I would: don't ever become jaded burners.

Lord Of Ruin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

soupman wrote:Fucking Freebird. Just... horrible.

Everything else was just lovely though :)

I keep waiting for someone to explain this, but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming. DPW lost a core member of their group this year. The playing of freebird was a tribute to him and was in no way meant to be any form of a joke.

No one guarantees you any sort of quiet burn of the Temple.

Just because it wasn't quiet doesn't mean it wasn't done out of love and respect...both for the lost one and the Temple itself.

LoR

piehole
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Postby piehole » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Holy cow, this thread took the fuck off.

I LOVE each and every one of your stories, and I'm kinda bummed I missed out on the meet-n-greet. Next time that will be at the top of my list.

Also:

FUCK YEAAAAAAAH JUNGLESMACKS

Some more bests:

Walking around Monday night and passing by Apokoliptika Kamp and getting GUERRILLA MOBBED by some chick with an AK and another guy with another weapon. Scared the shit out of my marine friend/campmate.

Riding by Camp Hate and saying "hey FUCK YOU GUYS" and then getting "YEAH FUCK YOU TOO" yelled right back at me.

Every day party at DISTRIKT. God damn, those people are on a mission to get you fucked up and dancing, and the vibe there is insanely smiley and positive.

Climbing to the top of Anubis and hanging out for a bit.

Calling a 'burnier than thou' bitch out in line at Ice-3 for making ME out to be an asshole for not taking her bribe to get her to the front of the line because in her words "You're supposed to take bribes at Burning Man" No, fuck you. Don't piss off the line barker, you idiot.
Last edited by piehole on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

piehole
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Postby piehole » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Speaking of pissing people off at the Temple, my good friends, The Miscreants, got kicked out of the temple this year for playing Marco Polo with megaphones

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Return to “Stories”