2012 Experiences with Police

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: 2012 Experiences with Police

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 am

^^^ This= low profile!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Postby asin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 am

To anyone who got in a week early in 2012 as part of a work crew, large camp or art car: did you see a significant cop presence on approaching the playa or following the greeter gates? Or does that police presence ramp up as Monday approaches?

This whole question of how to properly talk to cops who pull you over for a minor traffic infraction then try to search your vehicle - well it sucks to have to deal with this. I get that a police presence is necessary for an event this size and I get that they're (for the most part nice people) just doing their jobs. It's unfortunate that now we have to worry about entrapment and coercion as well. It's hard to be at once straightforward and suspicious of LEOs. What's worse is that it engenders a sort of distrust of strangers which conflicts with the ethos of the event.

My last year was 2011 and I don't remember noticing much of a police presence at all and any interactions I had were cordial. But last year a friend got entangled and now I'm much more cautious.

Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 am

Unjon's absolutely right, and I'm going to stick a fork into this thread. It's now July 2013, this thread about last year's event is done.

I'll also reiterate that the time to report your experiences with law enforcement is ON THE DAY, or as close to it as possible. How do you do that? With the law enforcement feedback form. If you want to be prepared, or you're the sort of person who anticipates running into something to report, go hereand grab the form, print a copy or two and keep it in your hydro pack. If you don't have a copy of the form with you on the playa, go to one of the ranger stations (one's near center camp, two more are on 3:00 and 9:00 just past the plazas I believe) and ask for one. Once the form's been filled out, hand it to a Black Rock Ranger. Feedback is encouraged, both negative and positive (if they're doing something really right, let 'em know so they can encourage more of it).

During the event, the feedback is reviewed by Burning Man and shared with law enforcement daily. Sending in a form (or just complaining on a message board) many months after the fact doesn't really do a lot.

Return to “Stories”