Wow, My first Burn has Inspired me

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Jubal Harshaw

Wow, My first Burn has Inspired me

Post by Jubal Harshaw » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:10 am

I cannot Explain how amazing my experience was. The night of the Burn I thought that I was in Religious exstasy in a way that I had always heard about but never had dreamt could be real. I have to say, Im addicted, and I cant imagine missing out next year! :shock:

bartolah
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Disco Snowman Inferno

It was amazing...

Post by bartolah » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:51 am

I like how you said that - it seems that you can, in fact, explain it... ;-)

Yeah, it was my first Burn too. And, it's funny, in retrospect I didn't think I'd have anywhere near the kind of experience I had. I'd read so many posts in this forum about how so many of the newbies just observe and don't "get into it", don't participate - that I had kind of gotten it into my mind that that would have been my fate.

And it soooooo wasn't. I admit it took a few days to get the vibe - but by the time of the Burn I got it - I grok'd it (to use a Heinleinian term, mr. Harshaw). And it was gooooooood.

Religious ecstasy indeed. I felt like, and still do, that everyone there was and is my family. That's a pretty wild thing to try to convey to others who haven't been...

Thanks for writing about your experience...

bartolah
...third star to the right, and straight on till the man burns...

icebox

Post by icebox » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:31 pm

Now comes the hard part -- trying to bring that same feeling to "camp reality" where you'll have to spend the next 357 days until going "home" again, as they say.

I wish you luck.

Double D

Post by Double D » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:50 pm

Glad to see that you enjoyed your 1st burn. Unfortunately for me this was my 8th and the worst burn that I’ve had. To many rude folks around me the night of the Temple burn really ruined it for me. And as are numbers have grown the number of art pieces has not and participation in my veiw has dropped. As well as the growing number of rules, I can remember two years ago talking about the rules that had been imposed then (the year the Jiffy Lube sign had to be removed). Now the days of self freedom on the playa are gone. With a tear in my eye I say fairwell to the Man I once knew. Be glad that this was your 1st and hope for smaller crowds.

icebox

Post by icebox » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:24 pm

Let us hope that all these wonderful experiences for newbies will translate into more artwork and greater overall participation in the coming years as the city seems to be in a transition period where many veterans are not returning or are just too tired or financially drained to continue the huge projects of the past. My assessment is that due to the heavy increase in firstimers many people are just getting into the community and we can't expect them to jump right in with huge art projects/theme camps/art cars, etc. The danger lies in people coming out and seeing it as just a huge party/rave (which it felt like more this year than any I remember) and spreading that word to other potential newbies who come out and reinforce that type of limiting perspective of the event. I miss the abundance of the art from years past, but I'll be back again next year with hope for a revival from the newer members of our wonderful community. Fingers crossed, trying to keep my expectations in check.

BigCock

No jade please

Post by BigCock » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:29 pm

First timers are great! Way to really get it! I've been coming to BRC since 1995 and this year was the most mindblowing experience I've had yet. So many old timers are jaded - grumble grumble it's not what it used to be too many people too commercial blah blah. HUMBUG! I say the old days SUCKED compared to burns of recent years. With all due respect to those who blazed the path, you didn't bring nearly the love, beautiful light and color, incredible diversity, elegance or sheer brilliance to the playa back in the day that these kids are bringing today. Burn your art! Burn your jade! Rise from the ashes better and more brilliant than before, and bring a newbie along next time!

sator

Post by sator » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:42 pm

Now the days of self freedom on the playa are gone. With a tear in my eye I say fairwell to the Man I once knew.
Double D, would you or some other veteran of multiple burns please describe an example of "self freedom" that was possible in the past but is no longer possible now. I have read of examples such as the ability to watch a fellatio contest in the open. But I can go to a sex club to see others fucking and sucking. I'm interested in example(s) of really radical self freedom, unexpected freedom artistic freedom, wild freedom, unimagined freedom.

Is the decline of Burning Man a failure of imagination or of libido?

I don't mean to sound overly aggressive (:twisted: I am aggressive by nature and cannot escape that tone :twisted:). I really am interested in the answer to this question. Not because I want to challenge you, but because I really don't know what I'm missing.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:12 pm

Is the decline of Burning Man a failure of imagination or of libido?
Personally, i don't think it has to do with either. I do believe that the changes - the shifts - I've noticed over the past ten plus years have more to do with an idea that has been usurped by the media and translated and re-interpreted for those newcomers who make up the vast majority of the BRC population. That and Larry's stated mission to not deny entry to anyone for any reason - paraphrased here - based on limited ticket sales, regulation of sound camps (rave camps), age limitations, etc. The egalatarian aspect of not limiting is a noble one but with such policies comes a incremental erosion of what many still see as the noble experiment in community and self-reliance.
Desert dogs drink deep.

inkyboi

1st burn

Post by inkyboi » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:26 pm

This was my first burn and I was lucky enough to camp with 4 experienced burners. BRC was everything that I had read about, dreamt about, and imagined, times 100. I had no idea that it would be SO BIG, that the people would be so great and that the 4000 stickers we brought (moop to some I suppose) would be SO well received. I had an amazing time and am already planning for next year. I had a great time and have already connected with other burners here in NYC. The community absolutly blew me away and I think that this year is the beginning of a great love affair.

I cannot wait for next year.

I cannot wait to meet more people.

I cannot wait to be art.

Jurd

Return to “Stories”