Anyone besides me get roofied?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sparkydog

Anyone besides me get roofied?

Post by Sparkydog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:50 am

I went to a "moble" bar on Saturday and was given a drink. This Moble bar was associated with a theme camp. I had seen them several times before. I had a 2 drinks and before I knew it it was 3 hours later and I was on my way to the burn. No memory of anything in between.

What was scary about this was I was driving an art car and only had two drinks (within my legal limit). I drove it back to my camp (I drove well I was told) and the asshole who gave it to me knew I was driving. I think he was after money but did not get it.

Anyone else had an experience about this. I know this persons playa name and what camp they were associated with. Think BM would want to know??? Care????

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:32 am

First of all, I'm glad you got home safely. Whoever dosed you is an asshole, plain and simple.

BUT...

Be careful about assuming that you were drugged by the guy running the bar.

I say this because my theme camp was accused of dosing two people with LSD this year. We didn't do it -- period. This doesn't mean that those two people weren't dosed at our bar (which is possible); our bottles were out and available. Drinks were set down on tables. (And that's assuming that they were dosed at our camp.)

We were confronted with an angry ranger who had already made up his mind that we were guilty.

So I think you're doing the right thing: if this bar drugged you, chances are good you're not the only person they drugged. Find out who else had a similar experience.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do anything about it. In the future, if something like this happens to you or anyone you know, you should report it to the rangers ASAP. People do get caught for dosing people in BRC, and, given Nevada's rather draconian drug laws, you can bet they get the book thrown at them.

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:34 am

First of all, I'm glad you got home safely. Whoever dosed you is an asshole, plain and simple.

BUT...

Be careful about assuming that you were drugged by the guy running the bar.

I say this because my theme camp was accused of dosing two people with LSD this year. We didn't do it -- period. This doesn't mean that those two people weren't dosed at our bar (which is possible); our bottles were out and available. Drinks were set down on tables. (And that's assuming that they were dosed at our camp.)

We were confronted with an angry ranger who had already made up his mind that we were guilty.

So I think you're doing the right thing: if this bar drugged you, chances are good you're not the only person they drugged. Find out who else had a similar experience.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do anything about it. In the future, if something like this happens to you or anyone you know, you should report it to the rangers ASAP. People do get caught for dosing people in BRC, and, given Nevada's rather draconian drug laws, you can bet they get the book thrown at them.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:44 am

A woman got roofied by accepting a rice crispy treat from a stranger at our village's bar.

Monday fucking night... man, things got ugly and predatory earlier this year.

I do believe he got caught and evicted. Motherfucker. She puked it up and he didn't get... whatever the fuck he was after.

It was extremely upsetting for everyone around, though.
It's all about the squirrels.

jlpc4004

Post by jlpc4004 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:48 am

SPARKYDOG:

If I had been there with you, you'd a had to pull me off of Purple Mohawk Man, cause Id'a kicked his lame ass all over....
jlpc :)

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:01 pm

I do believe he got caught and evicted.
He was evicted.

I did it.

Drove his sorry ass to the front gate and told him that he was no longer welcomed in Black Rock City and that he had violated the social contract that binds the community together. Of course he denied it but the creep factor was pushing 10+ just sitting next to him. The woman's camp did EVERYTHING right in watching out for her, identifying the perp, contacting thr Rangers and not letting the bastard go. From what I understand their measures should be written up as THE standard on how to take care of your own when such ugly bullshit rears its ugly head. Things could have gotten much uglier had the woman in question not had such a solid support network in place.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:03 pm

I did it.
Big ole smooch to you!
It's all about the squirrels.

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:03 pm

I did not contact the authorities. Reason? I though there must be some mistake. Noone at BRC would do that to me. I talked to my doctor when I got back and he said you got roofied. I did some research and sure enough, I did. I still thought it was a simple mistake until I replayed the event in my head. What lead up to it. I know who did it. He had my drink waiting for me. If I could have put 2 and 2 togeather on Sunday, I would have contacted the authorities. Now I just want to see who else it happened to.

I almost missed the burn. ASSHOLE!!!!

Otisserie

jail

Post by Otisserie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:49 pm

While I recognize that it's difficult in many cases, I would like to see more of an attitude that favors arrest and prosecution in these cases. Granted, it may or may not have worked in this case, but I think that should be the bias.

Right now, these guys have the potential to ruin a girl's life, and the worst risk they face is ejection. This guy will be back next year, and with better techniques.

There is a tendency in these circumstances to play the trial out in your head and assume "Oh, we can't REALLY prove it." Don't fall into that trap; let the DA make that call. For all you know, if he had been arrested, a body search would have turned up a few roofies in his pocket, and he'd have done time for possession at least. At the very least, he will be arrested and removed, and his prints will be on file for any future attacks.

These guys are evil. They need to be removed, not just from BM, but from the general population. And for as long as possible.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:49 pm

While I recognize that it's difficult in many cases, I would like to see more of an attitude that favors arrest and prosecution in these cases. Granted, it may or may not have worked in this case, but I think that should be the bias.
And I (and others) wholly agree. Problem is that arrests and convictions in most situations to the one described are extraordinarily difficult to prosecute. The law enforcement folks did everything possible to find something on the perp in question and weren't able to do anything. Have to say that this one situation appeared to be one of the most frustrating things that Rangers and law enforcement had to deal with during the event.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Badger wrote:
I did it.
i think i love you, baaaaadger.
surlier than thou

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:39 pm

Well, for starters, I am not a girl. I am a male. Which made it hard for me to figure out a motive. It took me till last night to figure it out, in which is why this posting went up today. It was monitary and not sexual. But the reason he had them was obviously to use as a date rape drug. He was a bartender for a camp that served drinks.

I know who he is and I will look for him next year. I will point out to the rangers what happened last year and ask them to keep an eye on them. I realize I cannot do anything else, but an enemy exposed is hopefully an enimy neutralized.

One of the things I love about BRC is stoping and having drinks and making friends. I had many stops and made many friends. Indeed I thought this individual was one of them. I will continue to stop and have drinks in the future. I do not believe this was anything more than a setup and a crime of oportumity.

Be careful out there friends, but don't let it spoil your good time.

Playa Face

Post by Playa Face » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:54 pm

I have the perfect solution!! We should have a good ol fashioned town lynching!! All sexual and violent preps should be shackeled at the 9:00, 3:00 and center camp plazas and cained, flogged and whooped till the end of the event, Then there picture tooken and ejected out of the event for ever!! Maybe people will listen when you take more effective measures. Just a thought.
Whos that beast walking down the street? Oh thats Playa face.....

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:41 pm

Badger wrote:
I do believe he got caught and evicted.
He was evicted.

I did it.
you donkey-punched that creep in the ear on the way out right?
cheers,
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Otisserie

Post by Otisserie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:53 pm

Badger wrote:The law enforcement folks did everything possible to find something on the perp in question and weren't able to do anything. Have to say that this one situation appeared to be one of the most frustrating things that Rangers and law enforcement had to deal with during the event.
Sorry to hear that Badger, but I'm glad you involved LEO. Just maybe that will scare the guy off from showing up next year.

Sparkydog, why on earth would someone be looking to rob a guy at an event in which no one carries money? That is one stupid criminal.

joya

Post by joya » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:03 pm

Lydia Love wrote:
I did it.
Big ole smooch to you!
DOUBLE SMOOCH (with tongue) to you Badger. You may be cranky, but you're alright. ;)

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:18 pm

You forgot about ice and coffee. : )

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:25 pm

Badger, Badger...

Hey, I'm glad you tried to involve LE, too. Getting ejected is not enough, although it's certainly better than nothing.

But, like I said earlier, as a member of a camp that was falsely accused of dosing someone this year, I do want to encourage people not to jump to conclusions. Get the fuckers who are responsible, but don't let your (legitimate!) anger blind you, either.

Glad to hear that you didn't jump to conclusions, Sparky.

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Not my style. Actually I could not believe this person would do that on purpose. That is why I let it go. I am sorry I did not figure it out sooner. I would have ratted him out big time. Not for me. I was fine. For others that could be harmed.

Anyhow, the real problem is with the deterioration of our fair city. Tourists...

butterscotch

Post by butterscotch » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Well this subject spooks the hell out of me.

I understand now why Rangers don't accept food or drink on duty.

& why having friends who look out for you is always a good thing.

Thanks for opening my eyes.

Sincerely,
~Aimless

dj big E

detained

Post by dj big E » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:43 am

Not sure how he was detained. Hope it involved a little roughing up. That's all someone like this understands a good old fashioned ass whooping. After being forced to eat a couple of they're own treats. LMAO

Rob the Wop

Re: detained

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 am

dj big E wrote:Not sure how he was detained. Hope it involved a little roughing up. That's all someone like this understands a good old fashioned ass whooping. After being forced to eat a couple of they're own treats. LMAO
My God dj big e, how could you be so wrong? Is this really how you should treat someone that makes a simple mistake like this at Burning Man?

You have to rough them up before you make them eat their own roofies, otherwise they won't remember the severe beating. L'mao buddy.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:18 pm

I believe I was slipped something the second night I was there and the only place I drank anything was within the party after the CT parade. Served by the bartenders, and foot washers. Yes I'm a girl. I came to the conclusion I couldn't drink anything unless I brought it myself and it was covered. The night of the burn I saw 2 girls pass out after drinking some gatorade a guy offered them. We were upstairs in an art car. That may be another motive, if you're the driver and he wanted your passengers. The guy left when we questioned his need to cover everyone with a blanket. We babysat the girls till one of them woke up and we found 3 of their friends to take over. It was really a bummer. I got over it knowing these girls were ok now, and at least I'm me and he has to be him. Sorry to bring this yucky news to all of you. I really loved BM. I have a hard time recomending it to others, but I'll be back.

dj big E

I think rob the wop got me lol

Post by dj big E » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:12 pm

But he told me all the great ingredients thank god for " " / cinnamon liquor lol

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:29 pm

Not sure how he was detained. Hope it involved a little roughing up.
Nope. Like Bob Dylan once penned "If my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine..." I punched him in the throat multiple times as I drove him to the gate, took a pen knife to his balls and fed it them to him. Being the brother of several strong, take-no-shit sisters who taught me women hold up half the sky, I spit at him with as much contempt and disgust as I could muster.

But I did it all in my mind.

My role - a Ranger's role - is NOT to be the instrument or manifestation of someone's karma nor is it to be a jury of one to pass judgement based on fragments of fact or testimony. Were that the case I'd cease being a Ranger.

No, part of the Ranger's role is to act in accordance with the needs of the community and through our actions serve as a conduit for the need and the will of the citizens of BRC. Sounds kinda corny but there's still a core group of us that subscribe to the idea.

Nah, I'll leave the frontier justice to those who see their world a bit more myopically than I do. Or who choose to perpetrate such sickness directly on my person at which point all bets are off.
Desert dogs drink deep.

truthfairy

Post by truthfairy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:38 am

Dehydration + harsh environment + exhaustion + strong drinks mixed by drunks and amateurs = ?

I can tell you from experience that it is quite possible to get very intoxicated and even have a real blackout on alcohol alone.

Was every stumbling idiot drunk I saw at BM actually a victim of a dreaded roofie doser, or could it be that some people actually over indulge at BM, whether by accident or on purpose?

If someone is hitting on your drunken friend and you suspect that he's a "roofie doser" then you have an obligation to the alledged victim, the community at large, and the accused to get real law enforcement and real on-duty medical professionals involved.

Why not deal with it lynch-mob style?

1. The intoxicated/passed-out person could be in danger of death as a result of overdose or other drug related complications, like choking on their own puke while they are passed out. They should have professional medical attention if they have been poisoned with unknown drugs.

2. If it is supected that someone has been "roofied" then evidence (bodily fluids, vomit, unfinished drinks, etc.)can be gathered and preserved by LEO and Medical professionals in order to aid in the investigation, arrest, and prosecution of the culprit.

3. The person you suspect of being the evil-doer has a right to clear their name and have the situation dealt with by a real LEO. I don't think it's a good idea to have attendees be subjected to un-professional (and possibly intoxicated) accusations, summary judgement, and subsequent vigilante beatings and/or banishments from the event.

4. If someone is actually found to be dosing other attendees then the penalty should be a lot worse than a beating by drunken hippies/ravers/dot-bombers or getting kicked out of the event by a Black Rock "Ranger". The culprit should be put on trial and do some time in prison.

PS: I have to question the wisdom of any Art Car pilot driving even after just two drinks. Given what happened last year I would think that any driver on the Playa would want to be absolutely free of any intoxicating substance in event of any post accident investigation.

Return to “Stories”