"Down in Front" Fascism Is Ruining My Burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Kiba

Post by Kiba » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:13 pm

It's a game! The man burn, I stood in the back next to the art cars. I didn't see a single fire-dancer, and don't consider myself worse off. I saw all of the man burn and am most satisfied.

As for the temple burn, I was not only asked to sit down by one of the rangers, but to back up. This ranger apparently had different ideas of safety than the one positioned 30 yards away, who's spectators were seated a good 15-20 yards closer. That ranger, while fulfilling their duty, made me so angry (in their presumed shortsightedness which I see past now) that I was going to skip the temple burn and stew at my tent. So, while slowly working my way back through the crowd, there was a gentleman with a large dune buggy parked at the edge of the sitters. I asked the gentleman if he was leaving (no), and if I could stand on one of his tires. He agreed, and I was able to enjoy (what seemed to be) one of the finest views of the temple burn. I was head, shoulders, and waist above those standing, and those sitting weren't even a consideration. Because of the buggy, no one was trying to see from behind me (no heckling), and my view was both panoramic and breathtaking. Many thanks to that unknown fellow.

All I am saying is that from this experience, any setback or shortcoming is an opportunity to realize something better. I didn't get to humm or play drums, or hug with any of my campmates, but I was graced with the sight of something that will remain with me for days. I know I was kinda lucky, but then luck is just an ability to perceive opportunity where others see none.

Mothertoad

Post by Mothertoad » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:28 am

OH Man oh man I've finally received my CALLING about next year's burn---my camp will be all about roving through Black Rock City with my vast and competent crew, measuring every single burner's height, hugeness, head girth, ear stick-outage, etc (can you think of any other variable I should include...hmm voice decibles??) Then my cronies and I will retire to our very computerized casbah where we will devise the PERFECT seating plan for optimal viewage for all 35K of us. Said plan will be distributed widely on Saturday morning and your grid assignment will be stamped upon your forehead. You all better obey it. Anyone wanna help??!!!

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:08 pm

:D
Yes Yes!
*raises hand*
I love the idea, SOOOOO much beautiful ORDER. No more of this Chaos which is BurningMan! I want to package up the whole experience and start selling plots. This is it folks. If it's gonna sell out, why not have it sell out in our favor? hmmm? Sell "seats" or "standing" to the gullable and gaping! Let's show those gape mouthed bass what it means to either participate or pay (and pay and pay) To who? Us of course!
"sorry buddy, that sanding section is five bucks."
Bah! Psshhh!

d6

Post by d6 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:22 pm

BITTERMAN - "Chaos which is BUrning Man"
?
sounds like your living in the past, bitter-
mahn.
why don't you dust off the blue tarp, bring yercoolerfull o' beers,
and show us all how itshould be done.
I thought i sent you away, cretin!

D6,
That sound you are hearing are my knuckles banging on the ground while i search for a cave.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot

rodent

Post by rodent » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:37 pm

I'm going to try and spread butter along the 2k lights, out to a 10 foot radius, just so it's impossible to stand...

or not...

does anyone have $12,346 to buy a bunch of butter... ?

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

Mothertoad

Post by Mothertoad » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:58 pm

OK Bitterman, its you and me. Tall order for the two of us. But hey, whats this about a "sanding" section?! Are you way ahead of me and already thinkin of building bleachers? Way to go...

Love, Ms Mothertoad
And...
Love Rules, only sometimes you can't tell in this lifetime.

d6

Post by d6 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:01 am

Bringing back SPECTATOR CAMP to a 40,000 person capacity ?

My guess is that it's in the global best-interest to NOT give BITTerman access to $12,346 worth of ANY slippery or viscous substances, as for RODENT however, I say "yea"

d6,
nonworkingspacebaronkeyboard-bot

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Listen UP DEE-SIXX!
Camp Ferral Dog was where I got my Black Rock City Survival training biznatch! I cut my burning teeth there sucka! It was a place where the men were men, the cliche's were cliche's, and yes we wore Hawaiian shirts and straw hats f!cker! Back in the burn of ought zero, we was 6 guys, two pick-up trucks, a tarp, and YES a fooking coolerfull of beers you Bastard! How dare you try and turn this thing around on ME by pointing out that I AM(was) one of those gaping, drunken, "NO SKILLS" fucking "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaamperz" instead of a "PARTICEEEEEEEEPANT!"

"So join me, and together we can rooole the galaxy as FATHER and SON"!

I know for a cold hard fact that Bitterman had company on that dusty ol' camping couch on the playa, heckling the masses as they sauntered by, and his name was Angerman A.K.A. - D-6!!! AH-HA!
Bah! Psshhh!

MoisturePup

Re: "Down in Front" Fascism Is Ruining My Burn

Post by MoisturePup » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:43 pm

Russell Scheidelman wrote:(Sorry for not being able to make this short):

My enjoyment of this year's Bman Festival was utterly marred by a couple incidents which occurred during the 2 climactic Burns--of the Man on Saturday and the Temple on Sunday--winding up the weeklong event.

In the first case, after showing up early (on foot), stationing myself right up front of the viewing perimeter, and patiently waiting for the show to begin, I and the next 4 rows of onlookers behind me were pretty much ordered by a Ranger to sit down in the dust. I was wearing some robes I was quite proud of (I like to dress up in my best finery for these climactic rituals) and was appalled by the order to mess them up on the questionable grounds that he gave us.

How do the rest of you feel about this? (And, please, don't tell me to ride an art car--it's not always an option.)
My Robes... My Panoramic View... My Carcass Blocking The View For Countless Shorter People... My Selfish Me ME MEEEEE!!!

I'm 6'2", I don't have to, but I try to not stand torwards the front of any crowd because I'm taller than a good 90% of the rest of the world. I could have though, I too was torwards the front and found the really soft playa around the man to be "dirty" and even a little irritating on my hands, but I didn't. I didn't come there to be the lone dickhead in the crowd that is so self absorbed as to not notice that my selfish needs are conflicting with the minimal desires of those around me. So I sat down. I made that choice because I was trying to continue that thing called "an excerisze in community." Call me crazy!

MoisturePup

Post by MoisturePup » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:12 pm

Russell Scheidelman wrote:We were there for a long time without any advance word from the Rangers that we'd have to sit down. The first thing we heard from them on this subject was the sitting order itself. I question the judgment behind this policy, especially if their primary mission is to provide security. Forcing people to sit down makes it harder for them to get out of harm's way quickly in case anything weird should happen--pyrotechnical mishaps, wrecklessly moving vehicles, or stampeding crowds. If such a policy has somehow 'worked' in the past, I'd say it's more by dumb luck than by any inherent good sense in the policy. I wish they would re-examine it.

As for what transpired on Sunday night, the Rangers weren't involved in that at all. It was sheer mobocracy at work with all its attendant evils.
If ritual is so important to you (wearing your robes and finery), maybe you should consider that sitting is part of the ritual now.

d6

Post by d6 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:19 am

bitterman,

if "we" were sitting on a couch together, I'd be rubbing your "leg" under the blankets while we watched the WizardofOZ on too many hallucinogens.

I'll be over later to break your STARWARS collectibles.

d6,
punctuality-bot

Gothalot

Real burners arent afraid of the dirt

Post by Gothalot » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:36 pm

As I heard endlessly "Real Burners arent afraid of the dirt". I too was sitting in the front by choice. Some chose to ignore the heckling and keep standing. I felt sad for them. They made the concious effort to NOT sit down and help the others behind them. They obviously felt it was more important to feed their own stubborn egos by standing than to do the right thing and move to the back. They need help to become better humans.

If you don't want to get the damn cloak dirty then save it for later, bag it, bring a drop cloth, but dont force others to be a fashion victim or more appropriately dont victimize us with your fashion.

DeeeEsss

Here's another thing:

Post by DeeeEsss » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:29 pm

Short people will fuckin' try to KICK YOUR ASS, dude.

So just go on and have a seat before some dusty four-foot-eleven woman in chaps jumps out like a ninja and puts you in a chokehold.

Shinxy

Re: "Down in Front" Fascism Is Ruining My Burn

Post by Shinxy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:03 pm

Russell Scheidelman wrote:(Sorry for not being able to make this short):

My enjoyment of this year's Bman Festival was utterly marred by a couple incidents which occurred during the 2 climactic Burns--of the Man on Saturday and the Temple on Sunday--winding up the weeklong event.

In the first case, after showing up early (on foot), stationing myself right up front of the viewing perimeter, and patiently waiting for the show to begin, I and the next 4 rows of onlookers behind me were pretty much ordered by a Ranger to sit down in the dust. I was wearing some robes I was quite proud of (I like to dress up in my best finery for these climactic rituals) and was appalled by the order to mess them up on the questionable grounds that he gave us. (He said that by sullying our clothes in this way, we'd improve the views of "10,000 people" behind us. But I find this hard to believe. Only those in the 6th row--directly behind the rows that were forced to sit down--would see any better. And why should the latecomers in Row 6 be privileged over the early arrivers in Row 1?) As it turns out, when we in the first 5 rows complied with his demand, not only did we lose the panoramic perspective of the fire dancers that we had while standing (because we now saw everything from ground level), but our views of the dancers were for the most part cut off by the boards in the barricades just a few feet in front of us. Moreover, both I and my 2 companions felt ourselves to be quite vulnerable--like 'sitting ducks'--to being trampled on by the crowds behind us once they started their inevitable surge towards the Man. (Sitting is a form of immobilization, you know. You are far less able to move about freely from a sitting position--especially on the ground--than you are while standing.) So the effect that this decree had on me and my friends was to (1) dirty our clothes, (2) ruin our views, and (3) give us a sense of physical anxiety throughout the proceedings.

As a result of this fiasco on Saturday night, I was determined not to let it happen again on Sunday. On this occasion I and my 2 (different) companions stationed ourselves about 5 rows back. No order to sit down came from the Rangers this time. Instead, after about a half hour of peaceful calm and friendly partying, the cry went up from some woman behind us to "Sit down! It's a tradition!" She kept yelling this over and over. Then a bunch of people, including the instigator, began sitting down all around us (but not the first row). I said to my friends that we should move back rather than sit, and we did so as best we could--but it's hard to walk among tightly sitting (and thereby immobile) people. But I was determined not to yield to such a short-sighted and screwed-up directive again, and both I and my companions held our ground standing. Then the catcalls and the jeering began. It revealed an ugliness that I had never before witnessed in Black Rock City (this was my 7th Burn). By the time the Temple Burn started--and everyone stood up anyway because the first-row onlookers had never caved to the hecklers' demands--I and my friends were left with a very bad taste in our mouths. One of my friends, who had performed as a firebird stilt dancer before these same crowds the previous evening, found the entire experience--at what was supposed to be the most 'spiritual' of the 2 Burns--so upsetting that he decided to leave early, which he did.

As a result of these 2 mishaps, I will definitely leave on Sunday next year--and avoid whatever extravaganza takes place that night--and am seriously contemplating missing out on the Man's Burn as well. I know that I and my companions are not the only ones who feel this way because I met some Burners later in Reno who had similar complaints. How do the rest of you feel about this? (And, please, don't tell me to ride an art car--it's not always an option.)
You are such an ass! They're asking you to sit down so that everyone can see, and as one of the people who had obstructed view behind you for my first burn, it's appaling to me that you'd really dare to make the claim that keeping your festive robes free of playa dust (at one of the dustiest and grimiest festivals out there) is worth preventing everyone behind you from seeing. It's this kind of selfish thinking that we shouldn't even have to worry about at a communal event like burning man, but I guess we do. Why are there so many prima donnas at Burning Man, and why do they have to create drama for everyone? If something as minor as people reacting (as they should) to your selfish insistance on standing up in front during a festival that literally ten thousand people are trying to see at once in a limited area could ruin your burn and make you want to go home early, DO IT, so that we don't have to bother with you next year.
aka Twin, Luminary BRC Lamplighters
'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10

Return to “Stories”