Show your Swag

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Show your Swag

Post by Ratty » Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Did you receive the coolest piece of 'Schwag' ever? Have you broken all records for accumulating Playa trinkets? Are you making something to give away this year? Well, let's see it. We have no secrets here. I'll show you mine..........etc...

The fans and little coconut men are things I picked up on vacation and altered to be Cargo Cult gifts. The necklace is my first attempt at organizing my pile of momentos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Re: Show your Swag

Post by Ratty » Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Ok. that was just a teaser. Am I the only person that enjoys useless kitch? I Love to give it away, (especially to virgins while I'm Greeting). Here are some more space-fillers from my B.M. room.

The furry looking pile is a bunch of sculpty necklaces on strings of fur.

I altered the 'State Farm driving buttons and the heavy duty flatware just makes sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm

I didn't get any swag last year but this year, I'm going to have a few of these filled with Playa dust or man ash to give to people. (If they want them)

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 am

Those are great necklaces. Swag is is usually earned by being a star in someones eyes. That could be anything. Wearing the most outragous outfit, helping a stranger, working as a ranger or any other job, or making a psychic connection. I got tons because I'm a greeter and I dress up and hand out candy.

Arthur Schopenhauer

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

Tom, You dog. Does that say DMV Hottie? Nice swag. Wear it with pride.

Arthur Schopenhauer

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 am

Dog? My hottie badge? or the COMMISSARY pass behind it? hehe
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am

I'm so jealous. Your swag feeds you. Mine just hangs there waiting for me to pet it.

(See where your mind went? I knew you were a dog.)

Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 am

I'm giving this a nudge to Experiences at Burning Man, since I think that's a better fit.

I wouldn't even know where to begin, I've gotten some really wonderful gifts from people over the years. While some stuff is more ephemeral (like a cold drink) or utilitarian (the camp that gave us some spare EMT conduit to replace a few pieces that were left in storage, or the amazing beeswax lip balm) other stuff is more artful and decorative (like an amazing necklace of the man etched within the sun or a cool pin, patch, or stickers). I don't really have them on display or in photoshoots, but they're all treasures.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 am

My favorite swag from last year was a Burn Wall street perimeter badge I got after being shanghai'd on Friday afternoon to work perimeter in the dust storm.

This year I'm giving crochet scarves: Image

and dog tags whose design I'm still finalizing: Image

I'm also going to try some LEO badges. Apparently this engraver has a ton of uses I'm just discovering, so I might be able to manufacture them myself.

I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature. It's more fun to give than to receive anyhow.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 am

Also, thanks Ratty for the thread. It's what gave me the push to dust off the machine and get it working.
Sic Semper Spectatores

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 am

There were 500 people at Saguaro Man this year and everyone got one of these! 8)

Here's the rest! 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Mon May 06, 2013 4:04 pm

big chunk of the original man in 2007

other stuffs..

zomg i made these one year, it was fun handin em out to various people, especially the kids who are neighbors/came by camp to do stuff

some people have these and they look even fancier.. with gold plating and stuffs!

*more examples of the coins made for other camps..by the person who made these here*

"The coin project consists of 24 coins to be made over a 5 year period. Each year, in a ceremony, the Lamplighters present the group chosen to be reflected in these pieces with a package containing coins. We do this to recognize others in our community. "

anyone who helps light lamps gets one of these charms each year, for at least 10 years now.... recently about 1000 people per burn get one.. they usually tie in with the theme in some way

Don't link to anything here!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 06, 2013 4:22 pm

That's some good stuff, Lemur!

I like the brooding badge photo, also. :D

This is one of my favorite gifts from 2012.

*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 pm

I have one of the metal Reserved for Theme Camps signs. Had to take it down because one couple was doing their damnedest to steal it, kept hiding behind the porto banks across the street and coming back repeatedly after being shooed away, tugging on it. Hey, I was IN that village, so if anyone was going to swipe it, I decided it should be me. Out came the step ladder and the drill!

Now all we get is crappy blue flags.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow. I'm a Swagaholic too. VultureChow I love, (want), your dog tags. Did you crochet the scarves? Very nice.

Figjam that's a handsome pile-o-swag.

Lemur those necklaces look kinda like the ones I made out of sculpty. Only yours are much nicer. I love all the Lamplighter stuff. I guess the bumper sticker is true. "Lamplighters Rock! Everyone else sucks ass". I picked up one at the SF participation fair last week.

AntiM you gave me a wayward art t-shirt last year at the meet & greet. I've worn it several times and now I need to redesign it. Maybe a cape or use the printed portion on my new coat.

Some people like handmade trinkets. I lean towards the machine made stuff. I guess I like things that I couldn't make myself.

Thanks for sharing, guys.

Arthur Schopenhauer

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 am

Ratty wrote:Wow. I'm a Swagaholic too. VultureChow I love, (want), your dog tags. Did you crochet the scarves? Very nice.
Finished the design. Couldn't find a man I liked, so I made my own. It works surprisingly well with the diamond drag engraving. Image

Yes. I made the scarves. I have a few extra furry ones I want to make, but they're on hold till I finish my lion.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 am

WOW! You're an artist. That's beautiful.

Arthur Schopenhauer

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 am

VultureChow wrote:
Ratty wrote:Wow. I'm a Swagaholic too. VultureChow I love, (want), your dog tags. Did you crochet the scarves? Very nice.
Finished the design. Couldn't find a man I liked, so I made my own. It works surprisingly well with the diamond drag engraving. Image

Yes. I made the scarves. I have a few extra furry ones I want to make, but they're on hold till I finish my lion.
Include me with Ratty please, I swagaholically covet that dogtag VC!!! I have a shit-ton of scarves already, being a recovering yarn addict myself from a large extended family group of the same, sheesh, in-laws and out-laws throw scarves at me relentlessly so I guess I need to off-load some... hmmm...
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
VultureChow wrote:

Include me with Ratty please, I swagaholically covet that dogtag VC!!! I have a shit-ton of scarves already, being a recovering yarn addict myself from a large extended family group of the same, sheesh, in-laws and out-laws throw scarves at me relentlessly so I guess I need to off-load some... hmmm...
Will do. I should have plenty!
Sic Semper Spectatores

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 am

VultureChow wrote:Finished the design. Couldn't find a man I liked, so I made my own. It works surprisingly well with the diamond drag engraving. Image
That is awesome. I still haven't decided on what I'm bringing this year although it will be hand made.

Some of my favorites that I've received:
swag2012.jpg
I tend to be more attached to swag from people I have interactions with and that is usable year round. As you may have noticed many of these are from eplayans. Not in the photo, but no less a favorite is the engraved acrylic light up pendant from Moonrise - sadly the wire broke and it is in my pile of things to fix. Likewise with Triken's camera steadier - it's with my playa camera, and the post card from Jaxdee. There are too many to mention them all individually, but each has a memory of a friend attached and that makes them all special.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 am

schwag.jpg
12 years of favorite necklaces, mine and My Larry's. I also have patches, shotglasses, art, signs (made to be gifts), assorted metal things, even glass plates and a stained glass panel, stickers, and a couple shoeboxes of random things. I regift many things, because I have an abundance.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

AntiM. Nice rack. .... .... I can't even remember where I put my coffee cup, let alone who gave me what. I love it all the same. It gives off a warm playa vibe.

Arthur Schopenhauer

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 am

Ratty wrote:AntiM. Nice rack. .... .... I can't even remember where I put my coffee cup, let alone who gave me what. I love it all the same. It gives off a warm playa vibe.
Yes, she does have a rather lovely rack.
Sic Semper Spectatores

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 am

Aw shucks.

That's a tie rack, most often found on clearance after the holidays, or in thrift shops.

I get a little fuzzy on who gave me what about half the time. But I cherish each one.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 am

backdoor.jpg
My backdoor, where some of my stickers/decals end up. The rest are on water bottles and the treasure chest which holds our bike cooler.

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed May 08, 2013 1:38 pm

FIGJAM! I have warm and fond memories of gifting you that butt-in. Thank you Box Burner for the slogan!

We'll be making another 100 or so butt-ins this year for general population, and of course the COVETED Pooping Man t-shirts/scarves for those who volunteer for Poop Patrol.

My fav schwag continues to be a t-shirt from Dept of Pink Works, and it only "cost" me a kiss.

Some of the best schwag is ground score. Is it moop or is it schwag? (ooooold eplaya reference).

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Ah yes, forgot about my I give a shit button because it is on my playa coat - I love that too.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Yay DaB! Loving you!
I just might make 100 I give a shit butt-ins this year. It was as wildly popular as the Thank you for giving a shit t-shirts.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I ground scored a sonic screwdriver, 11th, the big light and sound and moving parts one.

Return to “Stories”