Critical Tits 2004 Feedback

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:01 pm

That's a great story, and skillfully told, Badger.

Fuck yer day.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:14 pm

Thanks for that folks.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. Meg returned home after the event and within days told her husband that he had to leave. That there was no returning. He could no longer be a part of her life.

She's back in love. Back on the horse where she's been with her new beau now for quite a number of years.

She still rocks my world.

I see her next week.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:17 am

Thanks for that beautiful story and a reminder of one of the things this event can be about.

Miss Kate

Post by Miss Kate » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:14 am

Oh my gosh Badger, what a happy weep fest I'm having here at work reading your story! Hurray for Meg!

Cameras, I just thought, eh-whatever. I was riding with my sisters with that same shiteating grin and I forgot about them. We're all beautiful, and damn if that ride didn't make me feel beautiful and appreciated. Thank you ~ all of you men and women with your great big smiles, the loud ones and the quiet ones. It was the most fun girl thing I have ever done in my whole life!

CoworkerLurker

Post by CoworkerLurker » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:55 pm

Damn, Badger! That story's gonna stick with me for a long long while. Many thanks.

regynalonglank

tears in my eyes

Post by regynalonglank » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:06 pm

Badger that pretty much says it all for me. I can't put it into words, but I rode proud for whatever you call my reason, and fuck it all, it was awesome. my marriage failed too...but I did not.

I work at a k-8 school. a photo of me on the web could be a big problem. but I rode anyways, because I needed to. i guess if someone took a picture, then they needed to do that too. haven't seen anything online yet...thank the goddess, and if i did probably no one who cared would ever see it anyway. whatever. it's all good.

critical tits is our pride parade. maybe my post baby tits aren't what they used to be, but i'm proud of them anyways. i'm glad people come out to watch and support us, if they didn't, it wouldn't be a parade.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

thinkcooper
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Illumination Village - Spiral Oasis
Location: East side Santa Cruz- can you keep those seals quiet?

Post by thinkcooper » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:54 pm

Awesome story Badger. You're hella interesting here on eplaya and that tale had great relevance.

ritamaya

Post by ritamaya » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:09 pm

I think that the after party is an incredible idea. I rode at the tail end of critical tits, but found out the next day about the party. I will be sure to come next year. You men are beautiful creatures to make a day for goddesses. we plove you!
Everything we know now, began with the trading of beads.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:33 pm

alpha..my little line from apocalypse now means just that...riding around topless means people will stare, some of them, and most will look. :o If those that choose to do this and are genuinely suprised at the reaction, then they didn't think it through clearly....enough of this whiny nonsense and get them britches back on. Where is the cutting whit of badger or trey when you need them!!!!!!!

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:33 pm

alpha..my little line from apocalypse now means just that...riding around topless means people will stare, some of them, and most will look. :o If those that choose to do this and are genuinely suprised at the reaction, then they didn't think it through clearly....enough of this whiny nonsense and get them britches back on. Where is the cutting whit of badger or trey when you need them!!!!!!!

Interested bystander

Post by Interested bystander » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Last year my wife and I went to center camp to watch Critical Tits. Our camera had succombed to the dust by then so we didn't try to take pics. However, I still got dirty looks from some riders and between that and having a ranger on a golf cart tell me I had to move because I was in his line of sight it really made it unfun for us. I have tried to get my wife to ride but she is still not comfortable enough with her body image to participate. This year we decided to volunteer at Camp Arctica during the time the ride occurred and it was a great decision. I had much more fun selling ice than fighting the crowds and being made to feel I was doing something wrong by appreciating the beauty of women who appeared topless in public. I don't know if I will bother going to CT again it has gotten to be too much of a hassle. My thought though is that if you want to ride a bicycle partially or totally nude and don't want people to look you should do it at night way out on the playa, not in the middle of the day at the man.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:21 pm

:x i love replies to my pearls of wisdom...however, i have said that replies to my e-mail will go unanswered...UNANSWERED..HELLO, HELLO??!! iT'S A DEPT. OF DEFENSE WEBSITE--can't afford a virus or worm to pollute the system. By the way, i'll be up in s.f in october, on the 5th or 6th, and i love burningman folk, which is why i'd rather stay at a burner's place and pay them what i'd pay at a motel..the money would go to a better cause. If any of you can help me, call me at work at 530-827-4345, i'll be here running the swing shift until 11:00 tonight. the desk sergeant will patch you through to my office...BUT NO E-MAILS. THANKS AND LOTS A LOVE.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:26 pm

:lol: hell, i'll even treat for dinner at the cliff house or a half-way decent restaurant..i'll be on my motorcycle.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:26 pm

:lol: hell, i'll even treat for dinner at the cliff house or a half-way decent restaurant..i'll be on my motorcycle.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:27 pm

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:03 pm

Thank you, Badger. You do, indeed, rock...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:12 pm

My thought though is that if you want to ride a bicycle partially or totally nude and don't want people to look you should do it at night way out on the playa, not in the middle of the day at the man.
Have to say that such suggestions aren't all that different from the lines I used to hear as a younger man struggling with being queer. "I don't mind homo-sex-u-als as long as they don't flaunt it." or "There's not a problem as long as they keep it to themselves" or "Just keep it to yourself and I'll be alright...."

I might be wrong here, but I think for some women the idea - the process - of getting out and challenging notions of beauty, body image, shame, violation, self-loathing, etc. has eveything in the world to do with doing it mid-day and jumping into the face of the world. By the simple act of getting on the bicycle naked some of the women involved have immediately transcended one or two of the personal demons that have (or continue) to haunt them. The ball then lies in your court Bystander. The challenge then is to you and others. Can you ante up and challenge yourself to see beyond the nakedness of several thousand women and see the face of an individual - a fellow human - of the opposite sex as something - someone - other than a source of desire or pleasure? Can you do it without taking a photo? Can you do it without getting a hardon. Can you do it without making cat calls?

Of course I'm not suggesting that this reflects your behavior but it does reflect the behavior of others and I suspect if cornered and challenged on it the same petulant indignation would spill from the offending guy's lips. Its a twisted logic that's contemporaneous with the blurb of "If ya don't wann be treated like a bitch then don't dress like one." that, according to my sisters, seems to ba almost a mantra in many social circles these days. If one's is unable to rise to the challenge that Critical Tits represents to the witnesses of the event then perhaps it is they who should consider taking a long walk out in the playa.

Just my two cents.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:14 pm

:(sorry...already said i can't answer the e-mails...i'm at my desk right now, 530-827-4183

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:16 pm

Isotopia wrote:
My thought though is that if you want to ride a bicycle partially or totally nude and don't want people to look you should do it at night way out on the playa, not in the middle of the day at the man.
Have to say that such suggestions aren't all that different from the lines I used to hear as a younger man struggling with being queer. "I don't mind homo-sex-u-als as long as they don't flaunt it." or "There's not a problem as long as they keep it to themselves" or "Just keep it to yourself and I'll be alright...."

I might be wrong here, but I think for some women the idea - the process - of getting out and challenging notions of beauty, body image, shame, violation, self-loathing, etc. has eveything in the world to do with doing it mid-day and jumping into the face of the world. By the simple act of getting on the bicycle naked some of the women involved have immediately transcended one or two of the personal demons that have (or continue) to haunt them. The ball then lies in your court Bystander. The challenge then is to you and others. Can you ante up and challenge yourself to see beyond the nakedness of several thousand women and see the face of an individual - a fellow human - of the opposite sex as something - someone - other than a source of desire or pleasure? Can you do it without taking a photo? Can you do it without getting a hardon. Can you do it without making cat calls?

Of course I'm not suggesting that this reflects your behavior but it does reflect the behavior of others and I suspect if cornered and challenged on it the same petulant indignation would spill from the offending guy's lips. Its a twisted logic that's contemporaneous with the blurb of "If ya don't wann be treated like a bitch then don't dress like one." that, according to my sisters, seems to ba almost a mantra in many social circles these days. If one's is unable to rise to the challenge that Critical Tits represents to the witnesses of the event then perhaps it is they who should consider taking a long walk out in the playa.

Just my two cents.

Iso, you know I love you don't you?
Love, Cowboyangel, devotee to the odd, the wonderful, the sublime
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:17 pm

You know that if you love me you get Badger with the package don't you?

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:19 pm

Speaking of Badger's package: didn't see you this year at the Meat Inspector's Camp. You'll need to take care of that next year for sure.

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:21 pm

Isotopia wrote:
You know that if you love me you get Badger with the package don't you?
don't matter ta me if you're one of those infamous sock puppets.......iso lives on inside of someone, schizoidally perhaps
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:34 pm

Putting the nail in the coffin on this one, Isotopia wrote:The ball then lies in your court Bystander. The challenge then is to you and others. Can you ante up and challenge yourself to see beyond the nakedness of several thousand women and see the face of an individual - a fellow human - of the opposite sex as something - someone - other than a source of desire or pleasure?
You f'in rock Iso.

angelgabe

Post by angelgabe » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:57 pm

badger,thank you so much for that story.As a 3 year vollunter at the after party,you really put a face on the event for me with that.I would like to add that CT means alot of things for the male vollunteers vas well.Its was an exsorcise in purity for me.While I am close to %100 hetro,I dont think I noticed a single tit durring the party-I was too busy helping out in the massage area,and looking at the smiles of the goddesses.I actually felt impowered to a certain extent,because usually all those boobs would have a profound effect on me-but i felt immune.While still having the urge to worship every women I saw.I think the best part for me is how I feel about women afterwards :)

angelgabe

Post by angelgabe » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:58 pm

sorry about the spelling :oops:

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Badgeo Profundo

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:13 pm

Thank you, Badger. That was profound, and I am touched.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:17 pm

This was my third burn and yet my first CT parade and party. I had a blast. Such a group to be a part of. Now and then, I will admit, have succumbed to "bad body image". However, at CT, I never felt more beautiful and alive. At my bellydancing classes, my teacher always calls us Goddesses. Only at the CT party and parade did I truly feel that I was a Goddess. I am still basking in that awesome feeling. My boyfriend even gave me a sticker for the car that says Goddess. Being raised by a hippy feminist, I have learned to recognize and fight any form of sexism, etc towards women. Regardless of what others may interpret from the parade of topless women, I do not in any way shape or form, recognize this as anything degrading or sexist towards women. If someone utilizes this moment just so they can oogle at boobies so be it. I too admire the female body. Everyone has their own thing. That's a beautiful thing isn't it. I felt so empowered, so close to everyone. My wall was down and I was free. The party totally rocked too. If only we could just get some of those grateful men serving us to wear some Playboy Bunny stuff. At any rate, thank you so much. I cannot thank everyone there enough for the fun and the oppurtunity. I was so happy to be a part of it. I also want to thank my neighbor, Judy, for talking me into going. Big Kiss to you and your husband Steve.

Much Love,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:29 am

If only we could just get some of those grateful men serving us to wear some Playboy Bunny stuff.
Um, hmmmmm....

<Oh, nevermind...>
Desert dogs drink deep.

angelgabe

Post by angelgabe » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:53 pm

i actually suggested leashes,however i believe it was decided to let let vollunteer wear what they want.i still like leashes though:)

bdongray

helper husbands

Post by bdongray » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:28 pm

My partner decided to do the ride this year too. It's her 7th year at BM, but this year her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, so she felt the need to show her support by cycling.
I'd never been to a CT before (this was my 3rd year) - I didn't get what it was about, and oogling tits seems a waste of time. Maybe I get that from being from Europe (moved 10yrs ago): What's the point? It's not like I get sexually excited or anything (and I am hetro), but maybe I am still not swayed to the semi-puritan environment America has to nudity, and to see a naked breast gets magnified into something "over-the-top" that some guys go crazy about - even though somehow violence is ok, eg on TV (but I won't go down that debate).

Anyway... since being in the parade she needed someone to carry her disrobed clothes, her backpack, spare water, etc. I dutifully carried them all, and I noticed several other "husbands" (ok some, like me, were boyfriends) all cycling the backstreets to keep up with their significant others, to show support, and hand over stuff like water - if requested, and to be there at the end to hook back up, either to go back to their camp, or to exchange whatever (eg supply more water) if they were going to party. While I knew *I* was there to support my partner, I was quite surprised to see as many "husbands" (cycling probably twice as far - well - it felt like it) to help & support their partners too. Much like those cars on the tour-de-france that help their riders. I was proud to support my girlfriend, and I'll do the grunt work again next year, if she wants to cycle again. I would like to offer more support through doing (say) back or foot massages (apparently I'm quite good), and if that were the case, I'd bring a case of baby oil/lotion to be able please the ladies feet (or backs), just so I could contribute to this. Outside the help I gave my girlfriend, I did feel like I could have done more for everyone else, but I did help by pointing out where the closest potties were to people coming out from the party. How would someone sign up to be a little more actively helping and "serving"? It doesn't sound good there were lines of girls waiting for pampering.

Amusingly, my girlfriend asked if I took any photos of her while riding. Well, no - I knew not to, and I respect the privacy of others cycling nearby who might get caught in any shot I took. She was disappointed. Maybe there needs to be stickers that say "I'm no pervert, my girl wants me to take photos of her on the ride"? Although I'd still feel awkward doing that with other riders nearby, who may not want me to.
--
Bryan

Return to “Stories”