Negative Burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
artcrash

Negative Burn

Post by artcrash » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:42 am

Well here we have a year where there are too many people, violence, a lack of art, too many restrictions, not enough tolerance, a nonexistant theme, and the whole place filled with spectators......IS THIS THE END?

After 8 years of attendance, I fear that BRC is going the way every town goes....towards sameness and mediocrity..... thats what you get when radical free expression becomes radically regulated.....no death this year, and barely any life.....

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:50 am

Word.

Double D

Post by Double D » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:38 am

Here here,

This was my eighth yr. Don't think I'll make nine. It's just becoming a big party. Full of people who want, with fewer and fewer true givers. Sad but all things change. :(

Zeejay

Post by Zeejay » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 am

Double D wrote:Here here,

This was my eighth yr. Don't think I'll make nine. It's just becoming a big party. Full of people who want, with fewer and fewer true givers. Sad but all things change. :(
I saw, do something about it, don't just talk about the negitivity, your no better then the things you dislike then.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:58 am

More Beings=More Bullshit

lots of "confused hippies" the same fuckers that stand on street corners acting helpless, think once your in you are taken care of!
Everyone must participate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rokken Like Dokken

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:59 am

More Beings=More Bullshit

lots of "confused hippies" the same fuckers that stand on street corners acting helpless, think once your in you are taken care of!
Everyone must participate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rokken Like Dokken

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:14 pm

7th burn and am not sure I'm returning. Can't believe I'm saying that!

Overall I had a really good time, but a couple negative incidents and a so so view of the state of BM these days has me not too excited about next year. We'll see how I feel 6 months from now.

On Sunday night while the temple was deciding whether or not to fall, my wife and I decided to head back to camp. Out of nowhere I receive a huge blow to my right shoulder. Stunned and shocked I turn to find a champagne bottle spinning on the ground. Someone had thrown an empty bottle into the air and unfortunately I was the individual to take the blow. Two inches to left and you all would be reading and responding about the guy killed or sent to the hospital with the major head injury. On the same night our digital projector was stolen too, so not such a good day overall.

Still these two incidents are not really the reason I'm considering not going next year. For someone who has seen the evolution of the event over the last 10 years, I kinda feel it hit a peak about 3 years ago and has been on a decline since. I can see an attitude change in the participants and the organization that I don't see as entirely healthy or something I can connect with anymore. I noticed alot more negativity floating around. Negativity towards the BMorg, towards Hippies, towards yahoos and so on. Is it the times or is it people?? Just noticed more than ever this year than in the past.

The wow-ness just seemed to be missing. Not much playa art to talk about. The man burned and fell with a "Ho-Hum". Alot of Empty domes shilling out music and Bars this year. Just didn't feel exciting I guess I'm saying.

I know a few people who were either newbies or 2nd year attendees and they had a great time and loved it, that's what makes it all so cool. Probably just need to take a break to regain some of that excitement I suppose... duhno..

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:54 pm

Burp! wrote:I know a few people who were either newbies or 2nd year attendees and they had a great time and loved it, that's what makes it all so cool. Probably just need to take a break to regain some of that excitement I suppose... duhno..
The first time is usually a mind-blower as you have nothing to even vaguely compare it with (unless you hit up regionals prior to hitting the burn).

I'm not sure about the returning part. I went 97-99, skipped 3, went 03-04. 98 was my best year as there were over 600 registered theme camps, art spread out over the entire event (especially the first 4 streets), and far, far fewer loud rave camps and almost no 'party barges'. 99 had so many rave camps that BMORG stepped in with rules and regualtions, and I stopped going.

I came back in 03 since many friends convinced me that the rave scene had muted or became escapable, but I went in the spirit of my previous attendance- spending months in preparation with gifts and art. I seen that a change had happened where participation as I knew it (art and theme camp creation) was now more of 'bring a costume'. I left early.

I said 'never again', but decided that I didn't give it a chance. So I went in 04 as a 'mostly' spectator. I brought costumes and homebrew concoctions for gifts. I left Friday morning, but more from massively blistered feet than anything else. I was going to walk the western half of Burning Man and check it out, then leave Saturday morning.

My $.02 is that the event has hit a point where over-regulation is happening due to over-population. Over-regulation, Mardi-Gras party atmosphere, and increasingly rave camps are keeping the quieter artist types away. Why bring take the time and trouble to spend hundreds of hours on an art piece, just to be kept awake at night and eventually have it destroyed by frat boy types the night of the burn? The anarchistic, wild fire types are being kept away due to the chaotic atmosphere being killed by regulations and 'descisions' on whether the vehicles/fire equipment they bring are deemed 'worthy' or 'safe'. What does this leave? BMORG paid artists, spectators, folks there just to get smashed, and the occasional theme camp that still 'gets it' with huge rows of undecorated tents in between.

Close the gates on Wednesday. If you can't make the commitment, then sorry- but it's just not meant to be for you that year. Sell NO tickets at the gates, ever. Put a cap on tickets sales to, say, 24k people. Make and enforce a 'silent zone' of a couple pie slices of the event. NO amplified sound or loud unamplified instruments (drums in particular can get LOUD). You must be listed as being part of a theme camp when you buy your ticket, and the camp must be on a list. This would force people to participate, think far ahead, and shut out about 70% of the Saturday 'frat boy' rush. The silence zones would be a haven for the quiet artist types, and the anarchists will come back in time if the setup works and the regulations are eased up on. Yah, enforced creativity. Live it, learn it, and suck it up.

This is only my opinion and not of any of the voices inside my head (yah, that also means you little miss too-drunk-to-go-to-the-meet-and-greet).

I will now go back to my regularly scheduled, jaded old timer, incoherent ramblings.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:03 pm

Oh and to those that say, "Burning Man is what you make of it." I have to call a bullshit on this idea.

I'll use the analogy I gave Samtzu at the M&G.

If someone is beating the crap out of your with a stick, you could look at it as positively and cheerfully as you want- you're still getting the crap beat out of you with a stick.

Sometimes reality really does suck and will continue to do so regardless of the way you perceive it or react to it.

prick

Post by prick » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:08 pm

kids, you sound like you belong on craigslist.

i had more and better fun this year with some of the happiest, most beautiful people walking the earth. the temple burned, someone yelled "goodbye!" and "i love you all!" and i cried. because even with a little gentrification, my jaded friends and neighbors, home will always be home.

every year is different, and every year people say that this one will be the last- because they met some shitty people, did some shitty drugs, felt that the whole thing was too "corporate" (whatever that means- did you see the acronym LLC next to the burninman logo? it means something. a very few people are making a lot of money.- but you know what? you get your money's worth, and you know it. that $250 would have been spent on beer and bills, and you know that, too.).

remember about going without expectations? that goes for all you old-timers, as well.

and you know what?

i miss you all.

-prick

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm

prick wrote:remember about going without expectations? that goes for all you old-timers, as well.
Been there, done that. 04 was my 'no expectations' venture where I came with 'nothing' and allowed the event to do it's will with me. I deliberately set aside my expectations (as opposed to 03) and wandered alone in search of experiences.

If this would have been my first year, I would probably not have returned. I am not you, BM is now your 'home'- not mine. I'll stick closer to home and play with the regionals and with Cacophony. This year I watched the burn on Webcast (I was home by then) while sipping absinthe with friends. I did tip a toast to the screen, hopefully you raised a glass back.

tsunami

We must try harder...

Post by tsunami » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:24 pm

This year was my fourth burn and I also feel it has changed for the worse. It is up to us to save BM and no one else. To simply stop going would be shamful. Next year I will not camp with friends I always have camped with because of thier overall attitude and lack of participation. My friends really killed my vibe this year so a change must be made. Do what you have to do to save BM.
forever burn...

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:43 pm

If someone is beating the crap out of your with a stick, you could look at it as positively and cheerfully as you want- you're still getting the crap beat out of you with a stick.
Well... I hear ya... but how about taking the damn stick away and giving that someone some of it back?

There are big things that can suck the life right out. Injury, assault, theft (though the theft of a bike is pretty fuckin survivable). And anyone who's experienced that kind of suckage is *not* gonna get that lecture from me. But the "boo hoo, i got yelled at" type stuff... well... I feel less sympathy. Maybe I give people less reason to get all up in my face on the playa... or I've been lucky or that shit just doesn't stick to me out there.
It's all about the squirrels.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:44 pm

Seventh Burn, and I will be coming back next year, but it might be my last for at least a while.

Maybe I'm getting jaded but it seems every "art car" is really just a rolling bar, every camp has an Asshole w/a Bullhorn™, every other camp is a rave, the crazy and incomprehensible categories at the DMV (apologies, Koosh).

For instance: our camp made an art car of a sphinx pulling the Egyptian Solar Barque. We were psyched because Annie got word from DMV that we'd get a license no problem. They went down to register, lights proudly shining, and came back grimacing and blushing. We only got an "Art Access" permit. Annie said that they said we hadn't fucked up the tow vehicle enough; someone else said they think a little something extra ;) needs to be fronted to sweeten the deal and get the license.

There wasn't nearly as much art as there has been, and that wasn't just me getting jaded. One of the biggest driving forces that gets me up to going every year is the thought that "When I get out there, I'll be rewarded a millionfold because there are 32,000 people who are working as hard as I am on projects."

Yesterday, I thought, "Maybe we can create another festival where the acoustic musicians, interactive art installations, high concept performances and 'real' theme camps, like we used to have." And the notion hit me just right.

Maybe I'm getting jaded...maybe I'm getting old...but this year I found myself saying all too often, "*Sigh*...another moving bar...whoop-dee-hoodie." :roll:
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Gromit

Post by Gromit » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:51 pm

I didn't attend this year, but I've been 5 times in the past, and they've all been drastically different than each other, and none of them have been "incident" free...but all of them have been rewarding in their own way...and all of them have ended with the (OH MY GOD, IS THIS THE END OF BURNINGMAN?!?!?!?!) thread...

I've seen the coming of the police, and the rules, and heard all the bitching about it, but it's never fazed me (drastically anyway)...

There have been years that I have not really brought anything physical to share at BM, but I always at least try to be involved with other people, which is no less important that bringing a 20,000 watt sound system or some other kind of giant theme camp or piece of art...

The thing that seems most disturbing to me is that people seem to be so easy to abandon it because some "bad" things happened, or people acted in a way that they don't agree with...so are you going to just opt-out of life for the same reason? bad stuff happens in real life too, but we deal with it.

It's the same damn thing, as much as people like to think otherwise...people are going to do things you don't want them to do, and if you just bitch at them, or about them behind their back, they'll continue to do it, or you can say something to them if it's warranted, or just act differently and hope that it rubs off...

it's a community...it's gonna happen...may just be that some people need time off (I see that some have been 7-8 years)...I felt "burned out" after a few years, took a couple off, went back and was blown away at how much cooler it was and how awesome the people were...

dunno...if you want it to change, make it happen yourself, or shut it. (I mean that in the nicest way possible of course)

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:12 pm

This was my 8th year, and although each year has been different, I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I agree with limiting the ticket sales and no tickets sold at the gate. I would love to see this event taken away from the spazoid, ecstacy riddled ravers and returned to the true participants, and I would support any efforts to achieve that goal.

Wendor

Post by Wendor » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:12 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:We were psyched because Annie got word from DMV that we'd get a license no problem.
All I can say is that Annie must have misunderstood, as I can 100% guarantee that no one, including Annie, was given any official statement from the DMV that they'd "get a license no problem".

All anyone was told is that they were approved for on-playa inspection. Everyone was also told that license approval still depended on the results of the on-playa inspection and that invitation for on-playa inspection did *NOT* guarantee a license.
diane o'thirst wrote:someone else said they think a little something extra needs to be fronted to sweeten the deal and get the license.
That's just a load of sour grapes. Actually meeting the criteria for mutant vehicles is what would have gotten the license.

I was amazed at how difficult a concept this was for people. The criteria said, in advance, that vehicles and trailers would be licensed separately. The vehicle towing the trailer is still a vehicle and if it doesn't meet the criteria, then it doesn't get licensed.

_tears_

Re: Negative Burn

Post by _tears_ » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:23 pm

artcrash wrote:Well here we have a year where there are too many people, violence, a lack of art, too many restrictions, not enough tolerance, a nonexistant theme, and the whole place filled with spectators......IS THIS THE END?

After 8 years of attendance, I fear that BRC is going the way every town goes....towards sameness and mediocrity..... thats what you get when radical free expression becomes radically regulated.....no death this year, and barely any life.....
AMEN!

Honestly, this was only my 2nd burn, my first being in 2003, but I felt the odd vibes, lack of art ( which is why I attend the event! ) and so forth...
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:17 pm

Gromit, I'm not one to give up, but am also not sure what I can do to change anything. Is my attendance all that is required to fix things?

Aside from the mishaps and my feelings towards the event related to those mishaps, the facts are the numbers are growing. Growth is not good for BM "." I'd like to say BM is growing and it's growing better at the same time, but having been apart of BM when there were only 4000 people in attendence all the way to 35k now, I can see the affects of population. I don't think it's getting better. More people do not = More participation, just the opposite I think.

NF

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:46 pm

Its true that two years of nice weather made people think its easy.

Maybe try a rain / high wind dance?

You won't have so many luke warm burners out.

bartolah
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Disco Snowman Inferno

An Idea, perhaps even a solution...

Post by bartolah » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:54 pm

(I posted this in another forum, but I think it applies here as well - so sorry for the dup.)

So, this issue about how to deal with so many newcomers and how to keep the "spirit" of burning man alive clearly touches a nerve... So...an idea...

This was my first Burn and I went with a camp of other newbies w/o any old-timers among us. So it was up to us to "get it," to find a way to participate. We had scoured the forums beforehand, spoken to friends, and did a bunch of research, but what would have really helped is a docent or guide.

On one hand, you'd think - we don't need that. This is an open community - everyone's a guide. Go meet your neighbor or your friend walking down the street - say hey, ask for help, whatever...

But to someone who's new, even if they've read that this is "ok," coming from the real world it's a damn daunting task to approach a stranger, to begin to interact, to know that that's ok, that that's the spirit...

For all of the wisdom behind Burning Man, it's fascinating to me that no one has coordinated volunteers to do the one thing it seems to so desperatly need - help orient the newbies, help them understand what it's all about. I mean hell, I'd love to do this next year.

Some good and bad ways this could be done:
- Imagine having the greeters at the gate hand out a special packet for newbies that includes a sticker or something that they wear that says "I'm new" - ok this might scare them...
- the packet could include a map of special "newbie" posts where you should first go when you get there
- the schedule could include daily newbie orientations - highly recommended fun and interesting ways to get down home fast.
- roaming volunteers - with some common symbol, like the Rangers only less formal, who greet newcomers and show them around or are walking around and have this obvious visual cue which newcomers will know to go up to...

The point is that it's hard for people to get it on their own and until we, those who have been, take the effort to help them participate it's just going to, well, suck. We wouldn't be able to solve all of the discontent and convert all of the onlookers, but dammit we can make a dent!

(an idea for a theme camp?)

Thoughts?
...third star to the right, and straight on till the man burns...

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:21 pm

MissNev wrote:This was my 8th year, and although each year has been different, I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I agree with limiting the ticket sales and no tickets sold at the gate. I would love to see this event taken away from the spazoid, ecstacy riddled ravers and returned to the true participants, and I would support any efforts to achieve that goal.
Yeah, most people around here that have never been think burningman is just an e-tard fuckfest in costume so it is no wonder that is what it attracts. I think an effective thing to do might be some education in some way. Maybe some experianced burners to appear on local radio for interviews about the event? Since there really isn't any organized promotion everything spreads by word of mouth and the trouble is that a lot of people doing the spreading have never even been to BRC. In this case, public perception can turn into reality when all the costumed e-tards head for the fuckfest and their idea of a theme camp is an audio system and some CDs and participation is handing out E.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

artcrash

Gromit

Post by artcrash » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:55 am

I understand the things you are saying but.....YOU were not there this year, right....so I am afraid that you have little to base your oppinion on. It was not only bad things being done by bad people as you said.....IT was the lack of participation by a majority of the crowd that really was the issue....Beads, a funny hat, a stupid attitude, and a fucking generator would be better suited to New Orleans than BRC.

bullD

Post by bullD » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:39 am

Ehhh, if you are done then don't go anymore. It really is that simple.
However, if you care about the event, then do something about it other than bitch. In my opinion there was a lack of random playa art ( for whatever reasons ) but, this has only served to motivate me for next year. See the "Bring back Playa Art!!" thread if you have some good ideas about how WE make this happen because really, it is up to US.

Other than what I felt was a lack of random playa art, my experience this year was excellent. Perhaps check your expectations. The event is not like an addictive drug where you have to continualy do more to get the same high. Be realistic... Oh and YES, if you go to the event with a good attitude, have checked your expectations, are involved, and help at least one or two persons a day, with whatever, the event should be fulfilling. In other words, IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

cobwebbywings

Post by cobwebbywings » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:23 pm

For those that think that anyone that just brings a costume is stupid and not participating I would like to remind you: Burning Man is EXPENSIVE. It is very hard to "participate" with a art installation or theme camp when you have little income. Not impossible of course but difficult. For my 3 years as a Burner I have participated as much as possible by sharing my camp with neighbors, picking up trash, and generally being responsible. I would hate to be mistaken for a spectator when I am out at night with the glowsticks, fuzzy hat and bit of EL on my bike that are all I could afford. What you do is what makes you a participant, not what you have.

bullD

Post by bullD » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:25 pm

cobwebbywings wrote:For those that think that anyone that just brings a costume is stupid and not participating I would like to remind you: Burning Man is EXPENSIVE. It is very hard to "participate" with a art installation or theme camp when you have little income. Not impossible of course but difficult. For my 3 years as a Burner I have participated as much as possible by sharing my camp with neighbors, picking up trash, and generally being responsible. I would hate to be mistaken for a spectator when I am out at night with the glowsticks, fuzzy hat and bit of EL on my bike that are all I could afford. What you do is what makes you a participant, not what you have.

WORD!!

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:13 pm

cobwebbywings wrote:For those that think that anyone that just brings a costume is stupid and not participating I would like to remind you: Burning Man is EXPENSIVE. It is very hard to "participate" with a art installation or theme camp when you have little income. Not impossible of course but difficult. For my 3 years as a Burner I have participated as much as possible by sharing my camp with neighbors, picking up trash, and generally being responsible. I would hate to be mistaken for a spectator when I am out at night with the glowsticks, fuzzy hat and bit of EL on my bike that are all I could afford. What you do is what makes you a participant, not what you have.
HUGE BULLSHIT CALL ON THIS ONE

Ahem, there that made it official. You obviously are a fairly newcomer. Most folks that came to the earlier burns didn't have a lot of cash. Most of the earlier theme camps were made from scrap parts and such as could be found- at least from what I'd seen. Hit the thrift stores, go to the city dump, find 'recycled' construction places, or hit construction sites after a days work. There are a million ways to make cool shit out of nothing. I've done it and many, many, many previous burners have. The cash you spent on EL wire, a fuzzy hat, and glowsticks could been used on creation of a cool ass theme camp or bitchin' art or gifts. All it would have taken was effort on your part and a desire not to think about yourself alone.

THIS is what kills me about the later burns. You're not any poorer than previous burners- you just feel that you shouldn't have to put forth more than a minimum of effort prior to BM. Are you saying only the rich folks should create art? This was most assuredly NOT the general feeling in the older burns. I get the feeling that no grant = no art is now quickly becoming the norm. They didn't HAVE grants way back when, but somehow- those poor folks had cool theme camps. I think the 95 (94?) Yeti Bowl-a-rama and Bitch & Stitch cost a total of MAYBE $100 between about 6 people. Less than $20 each. And a couple trips apiece to thrift stores and the bins. Two theme camps that were fairly popular. Anyone can build art- if I wanted to only see a professional's work, I'd go to art galleries. Your art would be just as good as the next person's.

Less 'I have to look good' and more 'what can I do/make to make other's experience awesome?' equals 'bringing back what BM was'.

bullD

Post by bullD » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:33 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:
HUGE BULLSHIT CALL ON THIS ONE

Ahem, there that made it official. You obviously are a fairly newcomer. Most folks that came to the earlier burns didn't have a lot of cash. Most of the earlier theme camps were made from scrap parts and such as could be found- at least from what I'd seen. Hit the thrift stores, go to the city dump, find 'recycled' construction places, or hit construction sites after a days work. There are a million ways to make cool shit out of nothing. I've done it and many, many, many previous burners have. The cash you spent on EL wire, a fuzzy hat, and glowsticks could been used on creation of a cool ass theme camp or bitchin' art or gifts. All it would have taken was effort on your part and a desire not to think about yourself alone.

THIS is what kills me about the later burns. You're not any poorer than previous burners- you just feel that you shouldn't have to put forth more than a minimum of effort prior to BM. Are you saying only the rich folks should create art? This was most assuredly NOT the general feeling in the older burns. I get the feeling that no grant = no art is now quickly becoming the norm. They didn't HAVE grants way back when, but somehow- those poor folks had cool theme camps. I think the 95 (94?) Yeti Bowl-a-rama and Bitch & Stitch cost a total of MAYBE $100 between about 6 people. Less than $20 each. And a couple trips apiece to thrift stores and the bins. Two theme camps that were fairly popular. Anyone can build art- if I wanted to only see a professional's work, I'd go to art galleries. Your art would be just as good as the next person's.

Less 'I have to look good' and more 'what can I do/make to make other's experience awesome?' equals 'bringing back what BM was'.
ok, Rob the Wop... Does it really matter who is a "fairly newcomer"? Last time I checked it didn't matter. Also, what do you plan on doing about your perceptions of where the event is going? Are you going to take action or bitch about it? All I hear is bitching, and not just from you.

And, regarding money, if you want to put something cool together with peices from a junkyard or thrift store that is your prerogative. If somebody wants to spend money or get funding that is their prerogative. We all benefit by somebodies creativity either way.

Rob the Wop, read the last sentence by cobwebbywings again,,, wait I will quote here, "What you do is what makes you a participant, not what you have." I think that says it all, what do you think?

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 pm

Bartolah — you made some good points. For the record, someone <i>did</i> have a "newbies orientation day" off-Playa — the Seattle Burners and Mr. Peterman put together a Burning Man 101 event in conjunction with an appearance/talk by Larry Harvey. This was done via personal initiative, pulled together at the last minute, and was moderately successful (we estimate about 50 newbies were enlightened by the wisdom and guidance of Playa veterans).

Again, this was personal initiative. It would be wonderful if other cities followed our example and put on their own Burning Man 101 days, maybe not all on the same day but different weekend days in one month, say April.

I understand that fully 50% of the estimated 37,000 attendees this year were first-timers. A whole new generation is coming in, so it's probably too late to convene a veteran task force of volunteer mentors. Maybe in a few years when all those noobs have a few Burns under their belts. In the meantime, check out the Second-Timer's Guide on the BMTOC web page. Trust me, you may have experience, but you DON'T know the finer points of Burning...not yet...
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:47 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:Less 'I have to look good' and more 'what can I do/make to make other's experience awesome?' equals 'bringing back what BM was'.
Personally, I think we all need this branded on our collective asses. Might hurt a bit.

Return to “Stories”