law enforcement 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
PlayaPatrol

law enforcement 2013

Post by PlayaPatrol » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Its not paranoia if it's actually happening. ANYTHING YOU SAY-ANY ADMISSION TO LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL BE USED TO TICKET OR ARREST YOU if you have broke the law. Per the US Constitution YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS OTHER THEN YOUR NAME. And if driving provide license, registration, insurance. If you don't want to talk to deputy friendly, ASK IF THEY ARE DETAINING YOU OR YOU ARE FREE TO GO. If free then leave. If asked, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO CONSENT TO A SEARCH of yourself, bag, tent, yurt, vehicle. IF THEY HAVE PROBABLE CAUSE THEY WILL SEARCH YOU WITHOUT your CONSENT or asking.
A large concentration of cops are at all the dance sound camps. Yes they are looking at you and your bag.
Everyone (including all cute ones) who asks for drugs is working with the police.
Police camp this year is on the Esplanade. They will be checking out everyone who goes past! If you need help from law enforcement or want to chat them up, don't be breaking the law when you talk to them or you might be ticketed or arrested!
Its better to carry your (old) ID on you so if they request it you don't need to dig through your car or tent in front of the deputy.
Drug dogs can smell outside stopped cars without search warrants. People have been ticketed and cars searched for DUSTY/dirty LICENSE PLATES on way to or from BRC. I'm not making this up!
The Jack Rabbit Speaks Volume 17, Issue #34 LAW ENFORCEMENT says " how to behave if stopped by law enforcement on ACLU website http://www.flexyourrights.org/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/FlexYourRights
"Law Enforcement Camp is next to the Black Rock Ranger Station on the Esplanade near 6:00"
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: law enforcement 2013

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:09 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:People have been ticketed and cars searched for DUSTY LICENSE PLATES. I'm not making this up!
Cites?
I know people have gotten tickets for out-of-date licenses, bad tail-lights, etc, but I've never heard of someone getting one for "dusty plates". That would pretty much cover every single person on Gate road.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:20 am

I'm not providing personal information on a public board. I'm relaying information. Cover your plates with dirt as an experiment.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 am

I didn't get pulled over for "dusty plates" two years ago, but they did pull me over for not having a working light on my license plate. All my other lights worked, but they wrote me a warning for it!

Just a reminder to make sure you don't give them any reason to pull you over. Your plates should be visible, I heard of people getting pulled over for blocking the plate with bikes and such last year. Don't do that. Check every light! Even if you do not plan on driving in in the dark, you never know about the gate line. Make sure all tail lights work, brake lights, headlights, registration tags are current, loads covered, whatever.
In dust we trust.

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 am

Re: 2012 Experiences with Police
Postby Chiroptera » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 pm

1.) A campmate (virgin) and his wife who is a doctor were pulled over when they got to about 6:30 because dust was obscuring the license plate. A dog was brought out and yes a 500 dollar ticket was given.

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 am

danibel wrote:Your plates should be visible, I heard of people getting pulled over for blocking the plate with bikes and such last year. Don't do that.
With a trunk rack on most vehicles most bikes obscure some part of the plate. I don't know how to have a trunk bike rack on a car with no blockage.

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:41 am

Remember, unless you are under suspicion of having commited a crime and are being detained, or are a driver in a traffic stop, you are not obligated to produce an I.D. If you are pulled over only the driver is obligated to produce a valid drivers license.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 am

Remember kids, Pershing County lost their attempt at a huge money grab from BMORG so they're going to be really pissed off. They can and will pull you over for dust on your plate and any other reason they can think of. They will also have pockets full of drugs taken from previous "stops" that they can and will plant in your car if they don't like your attitude and don't find anything to begin with.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:
danibel wrote:Your plates should be visible, I heard of people getting pulled over for blocking the plate with bikes and such last year. Don't do that.
With a trunk rack on most vehicles most bikes obscure some part of the plate. I don't know how to have a trunk bike rack on a car with no blockage.
Removing bike tires works for some types of racks.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:55 am

Not that it makes any difference this year, but as of April 2014 Nevada state will recognize and respect out of state medical marijuana cards as part of its own medical program... I'm interested to see how that turns out on the LE end of things at the Thing.

For this year, yeah, F tha police. Protect and serve my arse.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 am

There is no good reason to stear up shit about police..

We all know how to travel legal..

There are 60.000 people going to Burning Man.. The police have there hands full just trying to keep the roads safe from dumb asses..

Yes dumb asses will be stopped for any reason.. Police need to know dumb asses are safe to be on the road..

Don't be holding, using, drinking, sleeping, or have a fuck up lic./car..

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:01 am

"these are not the burners you are looking for"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

BurnerBunny
Burning Since: 2007

Post by BurnerBunny » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 am

I wonder what effect an increasing police presence at bm has had? I would guess an increase in the number of "private" spaces at a minimum. Maybe less trust between strangers for fear of undercovers?

hmm, makes me wonder what kinds of effects on society at large the increasingly military police presence has had recently.

bleck, ok enough thinking about police and their destructive impact on society. back to planning for this trip!

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

DrewDubious wrote:Remember, unless you are under suspicion of having commited a crime and are being detained, or are a driver in a traffic stop, you are not obligated to produce an I.D. If you are pulled over only the driver is obligated to produce a valid drivers license.
Remember that Nevada is one of 24 states with stop-and-identify laws on the books. All it takes is suspicion that you have committed a crime, are committing a crime, or are about to commit a crime, and they can detain you until you produce your i.d., and arrest you if you won't or can't.

Their definition of reasonable suspicion will no doubt be broader than yours.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Not that it makes any difference this year, but as of April 2014 Nevada state will recognize and respect out of state medical marijuana cards as part of its own medical program... I'm interested to see how that turns out on the LE end of things at the Thing.

Keep in mind that BRC is on Federal land - there is no recognition of medical marijuana in any Federal venue. There will be no change in the LE end of things at the thing. This year, Pershing County and the BLM are riding/patrolling together - first time that I can remember. (See most recent Jack Rabbit Speaks). That means that any medical marijuana investigations in the future will still have LEOs that have a "no tolerance" directive for medical cards from anywhere.

Anyone considering bringing in substances needs to know that you are playing an expensive game.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:19 am

[quote]>>>They will also have pockets full of drugs taken from previous "stops" that they can and will plant in your car<<< [/q]

this poster is full of shit... yes, you will get busted for breaking the law. not for attending burning man...
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE ARRESTED AND MOLESTED!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

A Jester

Post by A Jester » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:Re: 2012 Experiences with Police
Postby Chiroptera » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 pm

1.) A campmate (virgin) and his wife who is a doctor were pulled over when they got to about 6:30 because dust was obscuring the license plate. A dog was brought out and yes a 500 dollar ticket was given.
And you were a good campmate and told him about Lawyers for Burners and the ACLU on playa, so he fought the ticket and it was found inadmissible, right?
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

FIGJAM wrote:WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE ARRESTED AND MOLESTED!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh, ME ME ME.....................

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Apologies to whichever moderator chose to nuke my posts. I had read the community guidelines, which said no illegal activities, but talking about ways to break the law isn't illegal, so I figured that was ok. My bad!

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:34 pm

I was surprised last year to see license plates placed on bicycles mounted to trunk racks with special white LED lights pointed at them. I've never seen anybody go to such extremes anywhere else. Navigating the law enforcement gauntlet into Burning Man is a situation like nowhere else in this country.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 pm

DrYes wrote:Apologies to whichever moderator chose to nuke my posts. I had read the community guidelines, which said no illegal activities, but talking about ways to break the law isn't illegal, so I figured that was ok. My bad!
I wasn't the Moderator, but I fully agree with the decision. From the Terms of Service:
e. The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited on the ePlaya. Burning Man reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action in its sole discretion against anyone who violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending post from the Service and terminating the membership of such violators, in connection with all available civil, criminal, and injunctive remedies. You agree not to use the Service to:
[snip]
upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that provides instructional information about illegal activities such as making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
(emphasis mine)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 pm

FIGJAM wrote:WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE ARRESTED AND MOLESTED!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
[media]
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 pm

CornMan wrote:I was surprised last year to see license plates placed on bicycles mounted to trunk racks with special white LED lights pointed at them. I've never seen anybody go to such extremes anywhere else. Navigating the law enforcement gauntlet into Burning Man is a situation like nowhere else in this country.

have you been through an airport lately :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

A Jester

Post by A Jester » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 pm

CornMan wrote:I was surprised last year to see license plates placed on bicycles mounted to trunk racks with special white LED lights pointed at them. I've never seen anybody go to such extremes anywhere else. Navigating the law enforcement gauntlet into Burning Man is a situation like nowhere else in this country.
In a way that's surprising, but in another way, that's a total burner solution to a specific problem.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Savannah wrote:
[media]
:lol: I think that might be my favorite closing line in any movie ever!
Ain't it a groove?

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Mojojita wrote:
A-RockLeFrench wrote:Not that it makes any difference this year, but as of April 2014 Nevada state will recognize and respect out of state medical marijuana cards as part of its own medical program... I'm interested to see how that turns out on the LE end of things at the Thing.

Keep in mind that BRC is on Federal land - there is no recognition of medical marijuana in any Federal venue. There will be no change in the LE end of things at the thing. This year, Pershing County and the BLM are riding/patrolling together - first time that I can remember. (See most recent Jack Rabbit Speaks). That means that any medical marijuana investigations in the future will still have LEOs that have a "no tolerance" directive for medical cards from anywhere.

Anyone considering bringing in substances needs to know that you are playing an expensive game.
Yeah, it's all an expensive game, that's the point of the whole fucking people over for money game unfortunately.

Not that I'm that interested in whether or not some authority approves of my behavior and what I choose to put in my body, but I wonder where the line is drawn between what laws a state law enforcement officer can enforce vs. that of a federal officer. I remember an instance when I was employed in a national park and a local sheriff being unable to enforce the federal laws because he was local and not federal... Interesting that local and federal LEOs will be actively teaming up this year.

And like some of us have seen, when it comes to gubbermints creating and enforcing 'laws' and statutes, what's actually legal doesn't really matter.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:I wonder where the line is drawn between what laws a state law enforcement officer can enforce vs. that of a federal officer. I remember an instance when I was employed in a national park and a local sheriff being unable to enforce the federal laws because he was local and not federal... Interesting that local and federal LEOs will be actively teaming up this year.
Local & federal have both had authority to arrest on the playa for as long as I've been going (either through specific agreements or because that's how the law works, I don't know which). The big difference with the integrated command this year is that there will hopefully be less overlap and more emphasis on dealing with actual problems, instead of looking for problems to deal with (this, of course, does not include undercovers out looking for drug busts. They will still be there, idiots will still be arrested or fined)

Personally, I'd rather have the sheriffs in with the BLM, since Pershing would just love to be more dickish and they won't be able to with the BLM.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

*serious face on*

i would just like to second that.

every single BLM ranger has treated me with respect and dignity, even when i was in custody. and also, to be truthful, so did the Pershing County Sheriff's but that was when Sheriff Skinner was in charge, i do not know how personnel has changed since then.

They are Professionals, and whether or not you agree with the Laws they are enforcing, i suggest everyone also show LEO's the proper respect, it makes thing better all around. Be polite, Be calm, Know your rights, but wait until you see a Judge or a Lawyer to express your arguments.

IMHO it's a two-way street. show respect, get respect, be a dick, get dicked.

*serious face off*
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Stories”