law enforcement 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
falcon451

Re: law enforcement 2013

Post by falcon451 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Every summer about this time the Wall Street Journal sees fit to publish an article about Burning Man. I can just imagine the human-interest editor sitting at the head of a table of cubs: "Ok, any volunteers for this year's Burning Man piece? I must warn you in advance, that due to a change in policy approved by the editorial board, you will actually have to attend the event." Here's a link to an article from 2012 - illustrative on the law-enforcement topic: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 56976.html

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 am

> falcon451... Here's a link to an article from 2012 - illustrative on the law-enforcement topic: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 56976.html
Undress runs afoul of Pershing County's ordinance forbidding "open and gross lewdness," county officials said. "But we can't arrest every nude person out there," said District Attorney Jim Shirley.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Post by winterdream28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 am

Going to bump this back up in regards to a concern I am trying to address. I see others have been pulled over for this as well.
Our bike rack causes a not clear view of the license plate. I was wondering if anyone has a photo of their solutions. Do you just take the license plate off your car and Bungie ball it to the center of the rack/on the front bike, then put a white LED light if driving through the night on either side?

If we got pulled over for this, I would have nothing to hide if they went all search crazy on me.
However, I really am fearing a ticket due to offense kicking off my first burn in a not so pleasant way.
Just wondering if anyone has a tested solution to this problem.
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 am

Then they will stop you for no plate light

DrewDubious
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:27 am

winterdream28 wrote:Going to bump this back up in regards to a concern I am trying to address. I see others have been pulled over for this as well.
Our bike rack causes a not clear view of the license plate. I was wondering if anyone has a photo of their solutions. Do you just take the license plate off your car and Bungie ball it to the center of the rack/on the front bike, then put a white LED light if driving through the night on either side?

If we got pulled over for this, I would have nothing to hide if they went all search crazy on me.
However, I really am fearing a ticket due to offense kicking off my first burn in a not so pleasant way.
Just wondering if anyone has a tested solution to this problem.

Just take your plate off it mounting and put it someplace on the rack so it is visible. be sure to secure it very well, of course.

winterdream28

Post by winterdream28 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am

okay great!!! *hits that was easy button*

Thank you
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm

Some news from the playa:

Knowing DPW I have to somewhat wonder if they taunted the police, or outright dared them by pissing right in front of them. (Not to mention a registration violation to boot.)

On the other hand, I saw some pretty aggressive tactics last year inside the city by the Sheriffs. But... then again... I have no idea what instigated those actions...

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:52 pm

1durphul wrote:Some news from the playa:

Knowing DPW I have to somewhat wonder if they taunted the police, or outright dared them by pissing right in front of them. (Not to mention a registration violation to boot.)

On the other hand, I saw some pretty aggressive tactics last year inside the city by the Sheriffs. But... then again... I have no idea what instigated those actions...
I was all ready to be outraged until the pissing on the playa part. Juvenile.

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:28 am

Just don't give the Leo's any excuse to stop you. What do you expect when your registration is expired or if you're pissing on the playa?

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 am

DrYes wrote:
I was all ready to be outraged until the pissing on the playa part. Juvenile.
my thoughts exactly.

falcon451

Post by falcon451 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:33 pm

This was posted elsewhere earlier today by someone who's already in:

Hello beloved Fish,

The surface is the best I've ever seen it. Lightening and rain last night was gorgeous and gone now. Can see a lot of damage to neighbors camps tho, beware . . . but mostly BEWARE:

POLICE PRESENCE IS HUGE and INVASIVE. People are consistently being pulled over for a faulty license light, and then having the dogs called on the vehicles. Broken tail light? The dogs will be called on you. Not wearing a seat belt? Driving 12 and not 10 MPH? Sipping a coca cola they will pull you over to check then say they smell pot so they have probable cause and toss your vehicle. They have a bunch of new cops who are worse than over zealous. Peeing on the playa? 270$ fine and THEN threatened with being charged with indecent exposure, which goes on your permanent record as a sex offender.

I wish I was kidding or exaggerating. I'm not. There was an emergency meeting called about it this morning, word went out to all departments. I'm simply passing what I was told along to you all. Any law that applies in Reno applies here, we are a city and worse, situated on Federal Land. Zero tolerance for any drug, medical marijuana does not exist here.

AND if they come up with an excuse to search YOUR tent they will then use it as an excuse to search the ENTIRE CAMP. We already have a reputation out here anyway . . . VERY IMPORTANT, if they ask to search you, REFUSE. Even if you have nothing. If they do it without anyway without actual cause or consent PLEASE report this to Rangers officially. COPS are here trying to make every dollar off fines and our BM legal team will use those reports to fight back against their overbearing behavior. Get a badge #, get a name, which cop department was it? There are several out here. Write it down. It was pointed out at morning meeting that if you wish to film them please do - but stand 35' away cause that's how far a taser can reach.

I've been here a dozen years now, each year the police presence is worse. This year already tops their assholery by leaps and bounds. The other topic of today's meeting was that theft, which does not usually happen til thur/fri of burn week, is already high. Lock it. This is simply words to the wise . . .

Besides that . . . the sunrise was gorgeous, the weather is purrfect and Fish are arriving en mass. Spirits are soaring high. Man base is spectacular (go early as lines are expected to be long). It's a space ship, just like the one for our Mission to Mars party, pretty f-ing cool . . .

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah, that's making the rounds.

So, in the interest of being thorough, what exactly are my right on the Playa?

If Johnny Law asks to search me, and I refuse, what happens next? If he has probably cause, I assume he can call back up and make a huge scene out of it. What constitutes probable cause (other than the obvious)? Same thing in a car as on foot? If he says he doesn't have probable cause, and I don't consent to a search, can I just leave? Do I have to ask permission to leave?

Can I piss into a Gatorade bottle in the deep playa w/o getting an indecent exposure violation? People have their dick and balls hanging out all the time, and that seems to be fair game. The lines at the toilets in the deep playa at night suck. I had to take a crazy huge dump on Friday last year, and let's just say I was doing some channeling of spirits and various methods of meditation to rise above the situation. No bueno. In the case of a number one, I'd rather just pee in jar and leave it at my bike for a bit if I could.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:33 pm

If he has cause he won't ask!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

falcon451

Post by falcon451 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:31 pm

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:37 am

Right now the LEO to BRC citizen is high. It will not be the same next weekend when most people arrive.

Make sure your vehicle shit is current and in good repair. Drive within the law and don't be stupid.

You'll be fine

In other words don't give them a reason to stop you.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:39 am

This is basically Pershing co. revenge
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:17 am

Please note that the speed limit is 5mph. If you are going 12, you are doing more than double. ...
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

kiss-o-matic wrote:Yeah, that's making the rounds.

So, in the interest of being thorough, what exactly are my right on the Playa?

If Johnny Law asks to search me, and I refuse, what happens next? If he has probably cause, I assume he can call back up and make a huge scene out of it. What constitutes probable cause (other than the obvious)? Same thing in a car as on foot? If he says he doesn't have probable cause, and I don't consent to a search, can I just leave? Do I have to ask permission to leave?
Here's what wil happen. The cop will pull you over and ask to search your car. If you refuse, the cop will "smell" marajuana and that will give him probable cause. The dogs will be brought out and the cop will say the dog has made a "hit" on something in your car. The cops will then toss the contents of your vehicle all over the Playa and search through everything. If no drugs were found, depending on your attitude, they will either plant something in your car to find or release you to clean up their mess.

It's a no win situation and the cops know this. Your best bet is to not have anything illegal in your car and maintain a good attitude when you get pulled over and harrassed. If you consent to a search when they first ask, they might just do a cursory search and let you go unless the dogs happen to be handy at that moment. If the dogs are brought out, there WILL be a "hit" no matter what.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 am

Cops planting drugs is an old wife tale.. Come on.. Right now the police have but a few people to mess with.. They are looking for something to do.. Two day from now they will have there hands full trying to keep everyone safe..

Keep your shit together and don't fret but cops..

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 am

I won't be doing THAT!!!

If pulled over, the first thing I'll do is ask for thier supervisor.

When he arrives I'll tell him that this officer is showing signs of dehydration and may be irrational.

He needs gaterade and shade, please help him, he's scaring me!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

unjonharley wrote:Cops planting drugs is an old wife tale.. Keep your shit together and don't fret but cops..

That's easy for you to say, Mr. Narc McNarcerson.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am

9ah wrote:Please note that the speed limit is 5mph. If you are going 12, you are doing more than double. ...
According to the John Curley article that was pulled, the speed limit is 10mph while the city is being built. One theme of that article was that new-to-playa cops were enforcing rules that don't have effect until the gate opens. Well, I guess 12 mph is above 10 mph but you see my point.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Cops planting drugs is an old wife tale.. Keep your shit together and don't fret but cops..

That's easy for you to say, Mr. Narc McNarcerson.
Come on DR your scaring the little raver..

My van in compound rolls faster then 5 mph.. It's hard on it to run under tac and it heats up..I think the Borg should should look into 10 mph..

javaguru
Burning Since: 2005

Post by javaguru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 am

Update: I decided to post my question about law enforcement implications of driving an out of state RV with Temporary Operating Permit in a 'Transportation' forum, but Im going to link it here because its sort of(well maybe very much so) related

Motorhome with CA Temporary Operating Permit

Aze

Post by Aze » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Here is some information on concerns about ending up with a computer showing a misdemeanor one's permanent record for a typical BLM citation, even though BMOrg and others consider the citations to be infractions rather than crimes punishable by jail.

A BLM citation for pot possession at Burning Man 2006 said I violated 43CFR8365.1-4B2.

The only reference to penalties in section 43CFR8360, which includes 43CFR8365, is at:
http://cfr.regstoday.com/43cfr8360.aspx#43_CFR_8360p0d7
which says:

> § 8360.0-7 Penalties.
> Violations of any regulations in this part by a member of the public,
> except for the provisions of §8365.1–7, are punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000
> and/or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months. Violations of supplementary rules
> authorized by §8365.1–6 are punishable in the same manner.

Note that 8365.1-7 is a single section on violation of non-fed laws, and that does not refer to my violation 8365.1-4; in other words my violation is not excluded.

See that... imprisonment. Jail. Slammer. Criminal penalty in the law.

Because the law says that a year's jail time is a punishment that applies to the violation, which I plead no contest to by paying the $525 bail on my citation, I believe that I may have plead to a misdemeanor crime, punishable by jail and therefore arrest. There doesn't appear to be any legal document that can tell me whether I have an infraction (not a crime) or a misdemeanor (a crime) on my record now.

Consider that every lawyer, without exception, says don't answer questions or submit to searches if law enforcement suspects you of a crime. These citations have criminal penalties written into the law, even though nobody has apparently ever done jail time for simple possession citations. And consider that many have done jail time for things that look like trafficking to law enforcement at Burning Man.

Consider that nobody has ever been put on the sex offender list for urinating at Burning Man, but this year might be different. Flex your rights.

Stray Dog
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Suggestion for the name of next year's event: Police State

Can the even be moved to Oregon? Come on, you moved once before.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:55 pm

SandC wrote:Suggestion for the name of next year's event: Police State
I like it. Next year when we raise the mans arms, we do it with both arms together and in front of him so the handcuffs don't interfere with the movement.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

kiss-o-matic

Post by kiss-o-matic » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Haha. Ouch!

k2k2k2k2
Burning Since: 2015

Post by k2k2k2k2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Has anyone tried videotaping the police at BM? Seems evidence of their behaviors could actually be useful to some of the people fighting charges...

I think this would require some editing of the Personal / Press Use Agreements, maybe the creation of another one. Actually, perhaps legal observation (with video) could just be a service directly provided by the rangers or some other official organ? The are supposed to be looking out for our safety...

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:37 am

There are more than 60 000 incidents that could happen..
Where would these camcorders be? Each year there are less than 50 arrests.. Most are of persons with drugs on them.. Most city/state claim interference for photo ing cop..

Return to “Stories”