Fixing the Man's malaise. . .

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Should BM limit entry to early in the week?

Yes, to Monday.
6%
Yes, to Monday.
6%
Yes, to Tuesday.
4%
Yes, to Tuesday.
4%
Yes, to Wednesday.
19%
Yes, to Wednesday.
19%
No!
21%
No!
21%

Total votes: 70

bizdeviant

Fixing the Man's malaise. . .

Post by bizdeviant » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:58 pm

Here is an idea whose time may have come: In order to attend BM, you have to be on the BRC property by Monday at midnight.

Yeah, I know this sucks for lots of folks with jobs (including me, a lawyer), but it is inarguable that spending more time in BRC leads to better socialization and a tighter communal spirit. Increasing the required time commitment, rather than just increasing the dollar commitment, would modify ticket demand and attendee participation in interesting ways that I suspect would help clear up the purported decline in experience.

Any agreement? See the poll below. . .

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:15 pm

Maybe think this thing out before tossing it out as another poll.

There's more to consider in such a suggestion than is currently available insofar as planning and such things. Also wondering how good your idea would sound if, for some reason, a last minute glitch in your plans screwed things up so that you'd be unable to arrive on the designated day.

bizdeviant

Post by bizdeviant » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:40 pm

Isotopia wrote:Maybe think this thing out before tossing it out as another poll.

There's more to consider in such a suggestion than is currently available insofar as planning and such things. Also wondering how good your idea would sound if, for some reason, a last minute glitch in your plans screwed things up so that you'd be unable to arrive on the designated day.
Thanks for your suggestion that I think this thing out. I really appreciate your considered and polite feedback.

Turning to the actual substance of your response, I agree that glitches could ruin your BM. Then again, initial access to BRC is already constrained to pre-weekend arrivals, so some measure of folks with glitches are already being turned away.

Finally, you might revisit the poll to note that it offers less draconian scheduling options. Please feel free to avoid answering the poll if its assumptions offend.

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:36 pm

I do think that movie up the gate closure would have a beneficial effect. On the other hand, some people who want to go and could be a positive part of the community would get screwed over. There's no easy way to remedy this problem.

I think a comprehensive camera ban might be more effective. Or maybe combine the two. Close the gates on Thursday, and ban photography from Friday on. :)

Unlike others, however, I'm not down on the event. I had a wonderful time this year. All my thoughts on the subject are along the lines of, "how can we make this more wonderful?"

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:23 pm

Please feel free to avoid answering the poll if its assumptions offend.
Not to worry. I don't bother with such things as they serve only as a snapshot of positions /opinions usually ill-conceived or marginally thought out. Results come to pass usually by looking at all facets of a position or an idea and culling the best of what floats to the top rather than the static answers that polling provides.
Desert dogs drink deep.

HughMungus

Re: Fixing the Man's malaise. . .

Post by HughMungus » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:47 am

Stop letting people in at midnight on Friday.
It's what you make it.

cobwebbywings

Post by cobwebbywings » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:07 pm

what about stopping ticket sales at the gate?

sator

Post by sator » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:22 pm

I said it on a different thread, and I'll say it here. Change the sliding scale from when the ticket is bought to when it is used. Monday, $150; Tuesday, $175; Wednesday, $200; Thursday, $250; Friday, $350. And it could be made even more draconian, by making all sales at the gate $500. Hell, for $1000 let them come on Saturday just for the burn. Anybody who can afford $1000 to see some tits and a big fire will probably have some good champagne to share. :lol:

pixiecup

Post by pixiecup » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:57 pm

sator: I like how you think! :lol:

chineseobelisk

fixing the mans malaise

Post by chineseobelisk » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:27 pm

As a first timer who had a decidedly more profound experience than I ever would have imagined, I must say that there was a noticeable change in energy from mon. at about 1:30 am when we arrived (and what a beautiful time too) on toward the end of the week when people who seemed to have maybe a little less participatory spirit started to roll in. In that light I think that both limiting entry to somewhat earlier in the week and varying the ticket price directly with time of entry are suggestions worthy of note by BRC's powers that be.
measuring the weight of smoke

herpy hancock

more is always just more

Post by herpy hancock » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:49 pm

more restricitons - more contradictions
In Yo Face!

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:08 pm

sator wrote:I said it on a different thread, and I'll say it here. Change the sliding scale from when the ticket is bought to when it is used. Monday, $150; Tuesday, $175; Wednesday, $200; Thursday, $250; Friday, $350. And it could be made even more draconian, by making all sales at the gate $500. Hell, for $1000 let them come on Saturday just for the burn. Anybody who can afford $1000 to see some tits and a big fire will probably have some good champagne to share. :lol:
SOUNDS kinda cool but I can't think of a good way to put it into practice. What would you do, sell all advance tickets for $150 and then add a surcharge at the gate for anyone arriving after Monday? Sell advance tickets for $350 and give rebates to people arriving before Friday? What if my intention is to arrive on Monday but our transport has a mechanical failure (as happened one year to some friends) and we end up spending a day on the side of the road? Sounds to me like the only way to do that would be to get rid of advance ticket sales.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Sobretta Franjipan

Post by Sobretta Franjipan » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:59 pm

including me, a lawyer
Some foxy lawyer. Is that you in your avatar?

That is so lame when somebody posts some straight ass pic (as in line with "gay ass") as their avatar.

Or are you really pro-Brazilian bikini wax?

Thread drift? Says who?

Isotopia-you've been awfully sedate.

Recognize this as a challenge.

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:41 pm

[size=7][i][quote="Hotspur"]I do think that movie up the gate closure would have a beneficial effect. On the other hand, some people who want to go and could be a positive part of the community would get screwed over. There's no easy way to remedy this problem.

I think a comprehensive camera ban might be more effective. Or maybe combine the two. Close the gates on Thursday, and ban photography from Friday on. :)

Unlike others, however, I'm not down on the event. I had a wonderful time this year. All my thoughts on the subject are along the lines of, "how
can we make this more wonderful?"[/quote]

I was a first timer last year arriving on Thursday to be mentored by experienced burners. I was dazzled. This year I wanted the full treatment and arrived on monday morning with my mate and everything we needed to for week of fun and play. Though we prepared all year, mostly out of impatience and anticipation, we were stuck down by many bad things. By Monday night our bikes were stolen, by wednesday the perspex rings of saturn (beautiful el wire project) were nicked out of the truck (and replaced with some other camp's garbage), our tent we bought online was not dust proof (the Survival Guide REALLY needs to warn people of non air tight tents) and the relentless weather and crap tent with torn airbed caused us to throw in the towel on friday afternoon this year. We came all the way from England and are still coping with our disappointment. As we left, we promised to try again, but maybe thought arriving later in the would guarantee our stamina level would have a better chance, maybe arriving on a thursday again.

Unfortunately I was also very aware a type of non participant that arrived late to the party. I was in the walk in area and across Sedna street from us was a large camp of "Rent a Burning Man Experience" campers. They paid a company to set it all up. Tents, meals, showers, everything. All they had to do was arrive, get shit-faced and gawk. It reminded me of a Club Med experience. In the few times were we able to sit outside the tent and enjoy the surroundings we were always met by these campers just strolling across Sedna about ten meters into the Walk In Area and taking a piss in front of us. I politely said that using a piss bottle was the way to do it and all we got were Chill Out, man replies. We used our piss bottles this year, but still felt pissed upon.

A fully agree on camera restrictions. Designate one day as Photo Day, preferably toward the end of ther week, when more of the art has been complete. We were a little disappointed to see so much construction going on in the first half of the week (being told to stand clear) and just felt in the way most of the time, unable to complete my own project.

Sorry for leaving lost the thread here and getting onto other subjects, I have come to grips with my BM 2004 experience, but my lovely mate is still smarting. He had been looking forward to this for about 7 years. Maybe the numbers of participants should just be limited full stop?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:56 am

So if photography stops on Friday I get no lovely photos of the man in flames? Or the Temple burn? Some how this seems very wrong ...

Hell, the whole of Saudi Arabia is pretty much a camera free zone, and my dad still came back with remarkable photos. And they use corporal punishment on rule breakers.

Camera free days would just suck. You can't dictate which dawn or sunset will lure the photographer into breaking yet one more rule.

I do think you can try camera free zones, but enforcement could get ugly.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:01 am

i say kill and eat anyone who arrives with a bad attitude. that'll show them.

chineseobelisk

stamina

Post by chineseobelisk » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:17 am

odd that the playa would be considered an intimate environment, but truth is my sure bet for meeting kindred spirits was in my wee hour trecks from 10 to 2. many wonderful people wandering deep just before sunrise.
measuring the weight of smoke

Return to “Stories”