Live from Burning Man!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Live from Burning Man!

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 am

Hey I can't believe it but I've got a very slow internet signal, here in Black Rock Desert!
I'll try to post some photos, if the link will support it.
Impressions so far: Wow the mutant vehicles have REALLY stepped it up! Holy shit!
I haven't been to the playa since '08. There's a lot less naked people, a lot more lights, and a lot bigger better everything. The law enforcement is kinda' stepped up too.
I've been gifted so many bottles of booze, it's three days in and so far I'm way UP on my alcohol supply!
The Land Yacht passed DMV day and night inspection and has performed well, one minor issue with a bad serpentine belt and bad tensioner pulley, but I have spares of damn near everything.
I've run into almost everyone from eplaya and the Meet & Greet hasn't even happened yet. Clocks & Mirrors is a hoot, Ygmir's fire truck camper is crazy, Elliot is fixing bikes like a master, Knowmad found me and I was able to get all his gear to him, Trilobyte is a great guy in person, WineBuff hurt herself on rebar - I yachted her to the med tent then home and she gave me the BEST bottle of wine I've ever had... I might post an update soon on other goings-on.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Re: Live from Burning Man!

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:02 am

wish I was there...

but, for those of us stuck off-playa, can you let Camp Envy know that after much footage of the wall, wires & receptacles under the shelf, the playa cam feed finally shows playa and then shortly was on Demo Mode!
It spends more time on the Feature Demo slide show than it does on playa. (off the air again as I write this)

snap show showing the captured video - and the thumbnail showing demo mode slide show
playa cam in demo mode 2013-08-28 snap 4.56am.png
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p972553
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 am

playa cam feed
they know, they're working on it
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

Thank you for the report Captain. Sure wish I was there. I am Glad that you are. Have fun. :D
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 am

My camera battery is so bad I can barely get photos and my internet is so sketchy I can't post photos as of yet, sorry...
Weather has been good, relatively warm nights and not too scorching days. A lot of blowing dust during the day but so far no real windstorms.
Holy fuck... the noise is incredible. My last visit was 2008. Early morning on the playa was peaceful then - now it's LOUD! The big sound camps are really amped up! There are so many lasers, from many different places. I remember being able to see incredible stars in the sky at night, now it's like being in the city, so much light coming from BRC that you can't see much of a starry sky at all. I'd like to try to get the idea going to have a scheduled half hour city-wide BRC blackout so everyone could see what the sky looks like out here.
The CORE burns were awesome last night, it looked just like Burn Night used to look. I wonder what Burn Night will look like!
Went up in The Man yesterday and it's by far the most impressive ever. Huge! The four slides that you exit from are fun!
The surface is still pretty good, few dunes, but the streets are now lumpy as hell.
I was cruising on the Land Yacht at dawn this morning (still out from yesterday) on the inner playa and heard a guy saying he was about to serve hot bacon, so I hit the brakes and did a U-turn. Turns out he had run out of propane for his grill... so he was frying bacon in a pan on the leftover hot coals from the Hawaii CORE burn! I have a coffee maker on the boat, so I in turn offered hot coffee with Baileys and tequila; he about died and went to heaven, hadn't had coffee since he'd been to BRC.
I'm about to have breakfast and try to sleep some but I'm just not sleepy. I actually got several hours' sleep last night on the Land Yacht's couch parked in front of Center Camp.
I played some "be a distant glowing thing" last night, drove out to the trash fence and shut off all my lights except the red and green "navigation" lights and dimmed the silhouette lights to barely-on and waited for people to walk or bike up to see what it was. Then half of them think the boat is a stationary art installation...
One Eyed Dick stopped by and asked if anyone had ordered any fire here. Of course I said yes, and he lit the four cannons on his van and fucking blew a ball of fire that about melted my hair! Shit that dude isn't fucking around!
Well - that's the latest from Captain Goddammit's perspective so far in beautiful downtown Black Rock City.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:...Turns out he had run out of propane for his grill... so he was frying bacon in a pan on the leftover hot coals from the Hawaii CORE burn! I have a coffee maker on the boat, so I in turn offered hot coffee with Baileys and tequila; he about died and went to heaven, hadn't had coffee since he'd been to BRC....
love it
miss it

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 am

Friday was a low key day. Spent most of it wrenching on the Land Yacht - that's the un-glamorous part of being the Captain on the brightly lit Yacht - then cruised a little. Ended up at Barbie Death Camp; as I passed by, Doc Pyro hailed and said he had filet mignon and champagne about to be served. Well OK then!
I can't believe it's Saturday and I've been here 7 days, it feels like maybe two.
I've still got more alcohol than I arrived with. Booze is not a scarce resource around here! For the most part I can't drink any, I have to drive - my designated Coxwain hasn't come through much, but that's just an illustration of what I'm always telling people... don't count on anyone and be prepared to take care of all of your own logistics at BRC.
The streets within four blocks of the Esplanade are so potholed that I can barely manage them. I'm not sure if they are worse than before or I stiffened up my rear suspension too much. If I feel motivated today I'll get down there and make an adjustment to soften it a little.

Well today is Burn Day... I'm sure it's not gonna be so low-key!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:04 pm

The ustream feed is currently up.
Here's the angle of view if you want to go present the land-yacht for your and our amusement.

We'll be greatly offended anyone moons us.

(this image is from this morning, before the wind & dust came up - same angle and zoom on the camera as current)
2013-08-31 angle of view.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:07 pm

OK, I'm gonna head out soon - it's 4 PM playa time (Pacific Time), I'll try to put the boat in that area! Maybe I can find the camera. Sorry for delayed response, obviously I'm not on eplaya very much while on real-playa!
THe boat was white when I got here... it's a little less white after a week of this place.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 pm

That camera is way back. It's very zoomed in.
You should be able to position based on the Man, the pyramid and the coyote.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:34 pm

Feed died before you got there... unless you went by before than when I was away from the screen.

sassypickins
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Pyrotex Conclave

Post by sassypickins » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Enjoying your posts, Capt, thanks!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Captain, Love the updates. Thanks for making it seem a little more real for those of us that couldn't make it Home this year. The video stream is awesome when its working but it's great to hear from someone down on the Playa.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:19 am

I'm gonna see if my internet feed is good enough to upload some photos, I haven't taken nearly as many as I should have!
The Man burn was awesome, hot as hell, and loud! Robot Heart was not far away, and there were so many LARGE scale sound mutant vehicles that it was solid bass everywhere. One guy right next to my boat had his backpack catch on fire from falling hot coals from the man!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:28 am

Normally I shrink photos to post here but I'm gonna post these full size. Tomorrow I'm gonna remember to take more pictures!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:29 am

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:30 am

At the Burn

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:31 am

I was worried about getting a night license so I made sure the Yacht really lit up

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:48 am

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 am

WOW thanks for the picks, they gave me chills, then brought a tear to my eyes. Wish I was there.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:19 pm

The latest from Black Rock City - they have been doing a widespread general announcement on bullhorns that major rain is headed our way midday Monday, and everyone should tear down and get out while you can.
I'm calling BS... I think it's a scare tactic to get everyone to clear out. I have this internet connection and I checked every outside weather source and can't find any evidence. A few sources say 30% chance of rain Monday, maybe a T-storm, but all sunny by Tuesday.
I'm staying and either it'll be a false alarm or I'll have a tale of adventure when I get back. I'm OK on water, a little low on fuel for the generators but if I lighten up on usage I can make it a while. Of course everyone has more food than they know what to do with, and booze is still in great supply!

I'll post more live BRC on-the-scene updates and more photos if I can, I don't know how long I will have internet access.

I'm headed out now on the Land Yacht from the 3:00 side of town to the 9:00 side to look for Tiahaar... I've stopped by the Starship Palomino (Tiahaar's bus) but he wasn't home, and he stopped by my boat during the burn but I was wandering about at the time... I haven't done much of what I meant to, but that's BRC!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:... major rain is headed our way midday Monday, and everyone should tear down and get out while you can. ... I checked every outside weather source and can't find any evidence...
Looking at the IR satellite images, there's clock-wise rotation directly centered over the Four Corners. IR density started building at the NE corner of the Nellis Air Force Range in lower Nevada at 19:00 UTC. As of 23:30 UTC is over 1/3 the height Utah, growing and heading north (orange). It's sweep looks like it will take its center through a line running north between Battle Mountain and Elko. It's gaining less size on its western edge, but there's some additional lighter density (white) heading straight for BRC from CarsonCity/Reno/Fernley region that may join up with it to give each more strength.

With its rotation sweep, it looks like the western edge of the heavy density (orange) will only go as far west as Winnemucca, but the lessor density (white) heading toward BRC could merge with it or has the potential to dump some of its own.
IR 10.7 um 23.30 UTC 2013-09-01.png
I'd say they're worried about 40% virgins out of of 68,000 people, along with trucks unable to service the porta-potties.
Imagine rain bogging down the Exodus pulsing lines...
Just to have numbers, say 4 hours worth of vehicles for 1000 vehicles per hour x 4 people per vehicle for 16,000 caught in lines with limited porta-potties, waiting for the playa to dry, or worse, trying to drive anyway and digging the playa roads into impassable. I'd certainly be wanting to get as many off the playa before that risk. If you can get half the population out before that hits, and watch for rain and stop filling the Exodus lines if rain approaches, it will be a much better situation. If the rain starts coming, I'd guess they'll stop filling the Exodus lines, clear those lines off the playa, and send everyone else back to their camp to spread the load on the porta-potties for overnight.

Sounds like fun. I'd stay - well away from those lines.
Last edited by Canoe on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Do you have enough duck tape to make that thing waterproof so it floats? :lol:

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Pulsing Diagram shows zones A & B, closest to the Hwy 34, are each 15 minutes worth of vehicles (approx. 160). No mention of the size of zone C or D. If they're the same (seems like it), then there's only one hour worth of cars in the pulsing zones, with the rest feeding from Gate road. Say 160 x 4 zones x 4 people for 2,560 people. A much easier number.

sassypickins
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Pyrotex Conclave

Post by sassypickins » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Nice photos, Captain, thanks. I watched from home, and the BMIR announcers almost lost it when the UFO blew, it was so huge. From what they said, they were scrambling to retreat from the intense heat and for those brief moments it sounded like the burn might have turned a little hairy for some or maybe hair-less.

Hi Canoe - I hope that exodus scenario doesn't manifest, but if it does your plan makes sense. Yikes, I would not want to get caught up in that.

duck tape :lol:

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:33 pm

I just came back from Center Camp where I hung out with Tiahaar, should have got pictures but as usual, I didn't think of it.

Here's a couple photos from the playa just now, including the last look at the Temple before the sun goes down and it burns

I'd do more but I gotta get out there and position the boat in a good spot before it all fills up out there!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 pm

The rain already up there is currently aiming to go through the SE of Pershing county and unless another part of the air mass starts precipitating, should just miss the Black Rock Desert tonight. Junjo Road in Humboldt is shortly getting a sweep of scattered showers.
The two densities merged, with the stronger initially weakening to match the other, then the merge area has started strengthening. The merged area looks like it will run north straight through Winnemucca. How wide that development goes will determine if it will reach the Black Rock Desert. Looking now like the west edge of the mass will clip the east edge of the BRD. If it builds strength, it could easily provide the scattered rain and thunder showers forecast. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 8210449219

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:15 am

Radar showing scattered showers just to the SE of BRD, drifting up on a line from Reno, which is showing scattered showers.
A much bigger line, with a solid pocket of lightning, is running the same line but to your west on the other side of the range. Bad news is the IR sat map shows that line is getting squeezed and may cross over the range. If it get squeezed enough, it'll be running up the west side of Nevada. That line down south has expanding development to its east from Sacramento through Carson City, which looks like it will end up sweeping up through Washoe and likely our side of Pershing.
So their forecast is credible.
And if you get hit with enough to stop transportation on the playa roads, with scattered precipitation that may last through Tuesday morning, anyone not out could be there until it dries on Wednesday?
Labor Day: Scattered showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Widespread smoke, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Labor Day night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers. Areas of smoke. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. West wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of showers before 11am. Areas of smoke. Mostly sunny, with a high near 88. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

winebuff
Burning Since: 2010

Post by winebuff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 am

You are very welcome! Loved mtg you and Charlie.
Glad u loved the btl. You deserved it. My leg is
still raw but mending. Safe travels my friend.
Captain Goddammit wrote:Hey I can't believe it but I've got a very slow internet signal, here in Black Rock Desert!
I'll try to post some photos, if the link will support it.
Impressions so far: Wow the mutant vehicles have REALLY stepped it up! Holy shit!
I haven't been to the playa since '08. There's a lot less naked people, a lot more lights, and a lot bigger better everything. The law enforcement is kinda' stepped up too.
I've been gifted so many bottles of booze, it's three days in and so far I'm way UP on my alcohol supply!
The Land Yacht passed DMV day and night inspection and has performed well, one minor issue with a bad serpentine belt and bad tensioner pulley, but I have spares of damn near everything.
I've run into almost everyone from eplaya and the Meet & Greet hasn't even happened yet. Clocks & Mirrors is a hoot, Ygmir's fire truck camper is crazy, Elliot is fixing bikes like a master, Knowmad found me and I was able to get all his gear to him, Trilobyte is a great guy in person, WineBuff hurt herself on rebar - I yachted her to the med tent then home and she gave me the BEST bottle of wine I've ever had... I might post an update soon on other goings-on.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am

Captain, rain on your west, heading north.

Big arrow is direction of movement, little arrow is drift.

Return to “Stories”