Gates closed/ slowed Friday 8/30

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Renoite
Burning Since: 2014

Gates closed/ slowed Friday 8/30

Post by Renoite » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm

So this just hit the local paper, and I've heard it a few places. Genuinely curious for thoughts on how this could happen? Bmorg seems to have pretty tight control on tickets sold. And I doubt they just let thousands of extra volunteers show up and stay the week. Did they oversell based on the glut of extra tickets available last minute last year? Do they have to account for extra law enforcement rumored this year? I know the newspaper won't say the gates are "closed", but it seems semantics to me. If I had a valid $400 tix in my hand and hundreds or thousands in food and gear in my car and I showed up and couldn't get in? I'd consider that closed. :cry: I really hope it works out and a lot of people leave today, or else I really feel for the people who show up for the weekend having done everything they were supposed to do, and face not getting in. (totally different from the gerlach campers who actually drove all the way out there with no ticket or plan)

http://m.rgj.com/topstories/article?a=2 ... 014&f=1303

Canoe

Re: Gates closed/ slowed Friday 8/30

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Entry into Burning Man has been tightened, officials said this morning, and they are asking those who have not yet arrived to wait until the weekend.

“The gates are not closed, but we have begun to manage the entrance tighter,” said Mark Turney, spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management Winnemucca district. “Instead of free flow, it’s gone to managing the number of people entering based on the number of people leaving. We’re asking people to consider postponing coming in until the weekend when the wait time will be shorter than it is now.”

Officials are capping attendance at this year’s event in the Black Rock Desert at 68,000, Turney said, and as of 11:30 a.m. today, about 70 vehicles were waiting at the gates.

“Establishing the wait time is difficult, it constantly fluctuates,” he said. “But more people have started leaving this morning, so it’s moving better than it was last night.”
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm

What a shit-ass website that wants to foist some sort of trial bullshit on its viewers. That "article" barely has any content or details anyway. I'll wait until there's a better source.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:33 pm

I dug under and c&p.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:52 pm

August 30th, 2013
http://blog.burningman.com/2013/08/news ... brc-entry/

Burning Man and the Bureau of Land Management have begun tighter management of the entrance gate to the Burning Man event. Measures are being taken to ensure camping is occurring in designated areas and to manage overall population of the event.

The new entrance controls will likely result in increased wait times at the Main Gate, participants who are not part of existing camps will be directed to camp on the outer fringes of Black Rock City between 3 o’clock and 5 o’clock. Additional streets have been constructed (the streets of M & N, from 7:00 to 10:00) to assist in these efforts.

The changes were agreed to by Burning Man and BLM to protect the health and safety of participants.

Renoite
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Renoite » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 pm

My apologies, I thought anyone could view a certain number of articles for free on that site. :oops: thank you for pasting it here.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 pm

For the Virgins, the slowing at the gate and the addition of additional streets on the outer fringe is standard contingency and has happened before. We're not there so we don't know, but typically there is sufficent space in bits & pieces spread out throughout BRC, but if there are too many people arriving to the populated city at one time (incoming for-the-weekend traffic?), they know from practice that it can become less safe to let a large influx of vehicle traffic spread out through the existing populated streets, particularily at night.

The out/in aspect to manage the overall population limit is somewhat unusual, but typically people start leaving BRC on Saturday morning anyway. A fair number come from afar and need to get back in time for work or school, so we typically see a small but steady exit flow starting on Saturday morning.

Best you can do is keep an eye on http://blog.burningman.com/category/news/

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:45 pm

We left BRC at about 4 in the afternoon on Friday. No line to get in, we saw a few virgins getting rolled in the dust, so they were admitting folks.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 pm

show up on Monday....it is an all week event....i camped on the outer ring in 2010 and was amazed at the folks that came in just for the weekend. if i'm going i'm going for the whole thing.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Rabbi Dali Rick

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:45 pm

Well shit on a shingle, the rumors are pretty much true, Burning Man has had to close the gate. As of yesterday afternoon BLM was allowing entry on a "One out, One In" basis. Even with a Ticket...

got this link from Action Girl...

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130830/EVE ... ock+Desert

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Take a look five and eight posts above yours.

Return to “Stories”