Worst part of 2013?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Worst part of 2013?

Post by lemur » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Savannah wrote: There will be another thread for bragging . . . as soon as the braggarts have recovered enough to start one. :lol:
I'm gonna go cross post my 'zomg I was so drunk it was awesome' thing in the bragging thread when it comes.... it was the best of times. it was the worst of times
Don't link to anything here!

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 pm

TT120 wrote:The worst part for me was coming home and finding out my wife doesn't want to have anything to do with me anymore and wants me out of the house. :(
Have no idea what I'm going to do......
It's your house too. If she wants out so much, let her move.

I'm sorry man, your wife could absolutely hate the color yellow. Can't stand to have it near her. And, if that's the case there is nothing you can do if you're a canary.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
TT120 wrote:The worst part for me was coming home and finding out my wife doesn't want to have anything to do with me anymore and wants me out of the house. :(
It's your house too. If she wants out so much, let her move.
You may have a point there. TT should consult an attorney before he does anything.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 am

We got some good ones here, Geospyder got first response AND a really shitty moment. Dustpanda, that sucks.

TT120, I can relate, about 6 weeks before the burn my girlfriend decided she didn't want anything to do with me. Not ENTIRELY bad on my part but it always sucks.
She went this year and I opted out, it has been an amzing 2 weeks shes been gone and I'm dreading her return. Good luck with the next chapter bruv.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 am

mulch wrote:This was my first year so I realize this isn't a new revelation to many of you

So most nights I roamed the playa by bike with my new and old friends with carefully planned and executed neural adjustments. It was beautiful and perfect in all ways. Except for that god damned cheese grater on my nerves "music" that was blared from 5 different sound camps and mutant vehicles.

If I was king, there would be some quiet hours when the music was turned way down on the playa. Even if you somehow like that shit, you couldn't possibly enjoy it when it's mixed with several other similar wretched versions of the same angry crapola.

I'm not so incompetent that I couldn't tune it out but the playa at night with the stars alone is beautiful and the music makes it less so.

BITCH, PLEASE.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am

[media]
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

mulch
Burning Since: 2013

Post by mulch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 am

I gave it an open minded try and danced at a few of the stages. Some of that stuff is ok but some of it is just not best called music at all.

And to suggest that I shouldn't bitch about it is a waste of a post.
choose damned if you do

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 pm

IT WAS THE BEST BURN EVER !

xoA.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm

I hated that the 'Man' spun on his UFO pedestal. I like to use him to navigate and instead he got me lost. It also sucked that the weather was so perfect. I barely got to wear any of my night time clothing.

BTW Simon, That change the world video sucks.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

LOL @ Man spinning
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

DrewDubious
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm

The worst part for me was I was the only one (that I found, at least) that was interested in dancing with strangers and doing more than just simple slapping or grooving to the beats. It's like I was wearing a tuxedo to an informal dinner...

but I said "fuck it" and rocked that tuxedo like I rented it!

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Not being aware of the earlier schedule and missing the temple burn. Total heartbreaker.

Stray Dog
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Missing the ePlaya meet and greet was the worst part. I volunteered at the Airport Galley. They needed me. They feeded me. Maybe I'll get to meet y'all next year. As this was my first burn all I can say is that it was slightly awesome.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jobi

Post by jobi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

6th year and I felt United cut corners this year, at least at my local portos at 4:30 and C. I think about half of them had bad locks or incorrect indicators. There was almost never any hand sanitizer and it just felt like they serviced them once less per day than previous years. This was on United. It compounded with the dingdongs that got there on Friday that don't know how to use them..

DustyPanda

Post by DustyPanda » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Ratty wrote:I hated that the 'Man' spun on his UFO pedestal. I like to use him to navigate and instead he got me lost. It also sucked that the weather was so perfect. I barely got to wear any of my night time clothing.
Totally true about the weather. I spent so much time making costumes, but instead of wearing them, I was in underwear and boots to dance in every night. Not a total loss... :mrgreen:
If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed. -Marcus Aurelius

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Radical self reliance comes BEFORE sharing and gifting!!!

Get your shit together or camp somewhere else! :x
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Figmeister . your not supposed to make eye contact with the hippies !!
Trust me.. I spent alot of time ignoring the "tent only" campers next to me.
don't forget to floss

JayGryph
Burning Since: 2009

Post by JayGryph » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:Not being aware of the earlier schedule and missing the temple burn. Total heartbreaker.
Yeah, that one got me. I spent all day recovering from the man burn and intended to go to it. Right about the time I was gathering the bike and things the flames got high enough to see over the camp and city and it was already ablaze. I watched what I could see and visited the ashes in the morning and still had a nice last moment with the temple but I do sorta wish I'd been there match to embers.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 pm

TT, that sucks. I agree on the lawyer part.

Worst part for me was cracking or bruising my rib again, this time at the beginning of the week (Monday). Refused to let it stop me from having a great Burn, just drank the pain away. Sadly, I can't do that at home, so now I'm waiting for my dr's app't. :|
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Genius had his clutch go out on the way in, but luck was on his side that day, the first person who stopped to help was actually in a position to help, including a car trailer and a friend who was a kick ass mechanic who came in on his day off.

Bearings went out on the rhoadescar. So had to fix that. Next day, other side bearings went out. Larry had to push me back to camp both times, which is why TK never got her painting. Next day, catastrophic tire blow out under my ass, actually dimmed my hearing for a while. Darkwad rammed into the trike, bending the entire wheel. Other bikes got flats. Bad week for bikes.

Asshole on the corner across from us had a bullhorn. Not funny or original in the least. Yeah, "Hushville be quiet..." never heard that one before, so a few dozen more times over several evenings won't make it more unique. Although when he passed out, his friend gave ma a sharpie to write "Hushville" across his forehead. Bitch, please. I also talked them into putting their pickle slices down his clothing.

Bugging out, but not early enough, nine hours in exodus.

New truck is dusty. Dagnabbit!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Jobi, the JOTS were pushed to the limit by Monday. (I went out with Robbi Dobbs to learn the ins and outs of potty patrol.) There were so many people early on that the united trucks were filling up before they could finish their route around the city. They called in all the honey trucks they could get. Even from as far away as San Bernardino! They sent for more potties and got 100 extras delivered. The indicators didn't work on ours either but that's not United. That's the ORG. They aren't rented. Some guy stuck lights in some and another guy stuck music boxes in. Both ideas may have caused permanent damage where people yanked them out and broke the vents.

Robbi Dobbs said this was a very good year for potty biz. I guess she meant little vandalism, clogging, breakage. She is an unsung hero. Maybe I'll write a folk song so she can be a sung hero. Thank you Robbi. You are amazing.

I think we need more 'potty friends'. Those are the nearby camps that volunteer to distribute TP in their bank of jots as necessary. THANK YOU to everybody that was a potty friend this year.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 pm

to the fuckers who stole all of the locks and TP at our local bank:

fuck you!

you know who you are.
Don't link to anything here!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:43 am

To the kind soul(s) who put the aromatherapy patches in selected JOTS:

Thank you! After first stumbling into one I went out of my way to find the JOTS that were labeled for the rest of the week.

Okay, so this thread is probably not the right place to post this (since when has that ever stopped me before?).

I'll throw in a bone because I'm still experiencing the afterglow of my best burn yet and feeling particularly magnanimous:

I have to agree the only slightly negative thing I experienced the whole time were in the JOTS or that occasional whiff I'd get in camp when the wind blew just right. As my camp was in the hinterlands and upwind of anything slightly resembling a JOT my guess is that it was from that formation of UNITED vehicles that sat somewhere between the outer streets and gate (well either that or the dirty hippies down the block).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 am

The worst part of the 2013 Burn was the fact that it had to end. :(
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 am

Schtev wrote:The worst part of the 2013 Burn was the fact that it had to end. :(
Yeah, but that should be an assumption.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 am

Ratty wrote: The indicators didn't work on ours either but that's not United. That's the ORG. They aren't rented.
We noticed the larger than average number of missing and broken indicators/locks too. We figured that like anything you take the desert each year, it will eventually break and need maintenance. Is it just that the indicators got old and broke or were they actually being vandalized?
Either way, I figured it serves 2 good purposes. First, the jots with broken locks tended to be a bit cleaner than the others. Second, it reminds people to knock before opening bathroom doors. I'm surprised by the number of adults who have forgotten this simple little manner. :twisted:

My worst part of 2013 was spending 48 hours in Elko Nevada. Had some great Chinese food and a great Thai Peanut pizza though. It also gave my some time to catch up on missing sleep and finish some crafts. :roll:

Also, on Burn night it seemed like everywhere we went back in the burbs we couldn't escape nasty smells. No matter where we went we were either smelling portos, generators, stuff burning, or overly used incense. It was odd that everywhere we went seemed to smell terrible.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

linds_e

Post by linds_e » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 am

jobi wrote:I felt United cut corners this year, at least at my local portos at 4:30 and C. I think about half of them had bad locks or incorrect indicators. There was almost never any hand sanitizer and it just felt like they serviced them once less per day than previous years.
This! The 4:30 & C bank seemed particularly bad compared to others. And yeah, never enough hand sani refills. I keep my own in my pocket but think of all the people who don't and who just shrug and walk away when the public container is empty. Ew. The locks aren't the fault of JOTS, tho.

My other worst part was my partner hitting a darkwad and having her scream at him that she's been doing this for 8 years and why should she have to light up and if we're too high to see 3 feet in front of our face then we shouldn't be there. :roll: Um, no.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am

linds_e wrote:My other worst part was my partner hitting a darkwad and having her scream at him that she's been doing this for 8 years and why should she have to light up and if we're too high to see 3 feet in front of our face then we shouldn't be there. :roll: Um, no.
Thats called a learning curve.

When the curve of your partner's bike hit her, hopefully she learned not to be a darkwad.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 am

Savannah wrote:I'm so sorry, TT120.
Me, too. I hope that this is worked out in the best possible way with as little pain possible to both parties.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Stray Dog
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am

If you have any children living at home do not leave the house. This can be considered abandonment and can hurt you in custody issues. The house is as much yours as hers (if you live in a community property state) and she can't just kick you out. Buy a voice activated recorder and keep it on you at all times. Make sure every conversation with her is recorded so there are no "misunderstandings." May not stand up in a court of law but it will convince the LEO who shows up at your house for the domestic disturbance call.

Sorry, this touches a nerve.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to “Stories”