Worst part of 2013?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Worst part of 2013?

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 pm

tamarakay wrote:You gotta wonder what the hell right? Why a jar of marbles out on the playa?
Probably just poor communications. Maybe he heard we all lost our marbles on the playa, and he wanted to join the club? :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:14 pm

not enough people....

we need to try harder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Lol yeah I think we're at capacity. Stop being greedy Larry and company :roll:

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

it must be hard sometimes, living in a world where good clean sarcasm means nothing...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:36 pm

agreed.

definitely one of the worst parts of 2013.
Frida Be You & Me

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Ratty wrote:If you EVER see something in the muck that doesn't belong there and can't be sucked out through the tiny hose, "Zip-tie the door so nobody uses it". This is Robbi's explicit instructions. The next morning the potto team will see those objects and fish them out before they suction the tank.
Thank you for posting this! Sunday morning I used a Porto and saw a tampon in muck, I didn't know what to do. So I posted a note but not sure if it got read or not. I will make sure I have zip ties in my bathroom bag and follow these directions, should the need arise.
In dust we trust.

Best
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Captain Pump's Raiders

Post by Best » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Just want to throw this out there, the report of the monsoon was not a prank, hoax, rumor or anything else.

We got to the Love's at Fernley at around 1PM and while we were there I saw a family in a Jeep Comanche that was just absolutely caked with playa mud (aka "the devil's dogshit").
I asked them where they had been and they told me that they'd been camping about 20 to 30 miles north of Burning Man and they had been caught in the very storm that was rumored to be turning our way.

If nothing else the last week in Colorado should show us how unpredictable a rainstorm can be and people who tell you it's coming your way might not be scaremongers, but people who are making educated inferences with the information they have at hand.

You can look not at a 20-40% chance of serious rain and scoff, but when you're on the other side of it and you're thinking you have a 20-40% chance of losing the job that allows you to do cool shit like Burning Man it's a whole different calculation.

strange love

Post by strange love » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:58 pm

^Thanks for the story. You're absolutely right, that 8 hour exodus could have been so much worse/longer if that storm would've hit us. I should be grateful instead of bitching about the long wait to get out of BRC.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't disagree, really. I left the playa early because of 1) flu, and 2) knowing I absolutely could NOT be late back to work that Thursday, because last year I was a day late going back to work --with last minute permission/notification; I wasn't just a no-show. But still: I'm really lucky to have a kind boss. (I don't even have to be discreet about where I'm going, and everyone wants the pictures and stories.)

Exodus was very unpleasant, but there really wasn't any other way to go.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Robbi Dobbs also says to zip tie the portos if the seat is fouled with excrement. Or the surrounding area for that matter. (No pun intended).

Hey. Speaking of puns, Elliot I thought that was a great one. You were spinning a rim. "Truer spokes were never whirred". Maybe you had heard it somewhere? I laughed.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Dactylion

Post by Dactylion » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Not knowing about the reschedule, and therefore missing the start of the Temple burn! My Dad passed this January and I had some important mementos inside. Really wanted to relax, watch it go up, and feel all the things!

Bah...
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

\dak-ˈtil-ē-ˌän\NOUN: Of, or pertaining to the tip of the middle finger.

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Post by msj2u » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:08 pm

worst is

missed the M&G go meet people and give out the gifts I made.

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 am

MSJ2u come to the S.F. Decompression. (Or save em for next year).

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 am

I'm giving this a nudge to Experiences At Burning Man, since that's a better fit.

Worst part of 2013? Tough to say, four strong candidates stand out...
  • Drunk belligerent guy with bottle of alcohol in each hand, waving arms wildly and in a threatening manner towards others on top of the ziggurat. He didn't want to leave, and took some kind of exception to others who were trying to get away from him. He had a wingman who was less drunk, but far from sober, trying to defend his buddy's right to be up there doing whatever he wanted for as long as he wanted. Fortunately, strong words asking them to please move along and that we were shutting things down for the night eventually got through and they moved along before anyone was hurt or assistance had to be called for.
  • Shutting things down unfortunately turned us into a dark and cozy VIP room for the big sound camp across the street. I woke up to the sound of ziggurat connectors hitting the ground, bolting out and climbing up to see cracky raver fuckheads trying to take the altar apart because they didn't want to have to lift their heads to see the sunrise.
  • Someone swiped some of our art on burn night, and damaged/destroyed a couple other pieces. After my campmate had put lots of heart and soul into creating awesome pieces, someone ripped the Faun head off the 2x4 it had been screwed into and made off with it. I'm assuming the same person also wanted the dragon skull, but they were unsuccessful, only managing to damage it. The little hellraiser cube they tried to take was completely destroyed in the process.
  • Somebody took a shit under the side of our box truck one night. Not just next to the truck, but actually underneath (I guess using some part of the vehicle to squat against). So very foul.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Worst part of 2013: no Tuna Camp.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:50 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge to Experiences At Burning Man, since that's a better fit.

• Drunk belligerent guy with bottle of alcohol in each hand, waving arms wildly and in a threatening manner towards others on top of the ziggurat. He didn't want to leave, and took some kind of exception to others who were trying to get away from him. He had a wingman who was less drunk, but far from sober, trying to defend his buddy's right to be up there doing whatever he wanted for as long as he wanted. Fortunately, strong words asking them to please move along and that we were shutting things down for the night eventually got through and they moved along before anyone was hurt or assistance had to be called for.
  • Shutting things down unfortunately turned us into a dark and cozy VIP room for the big sound camp across the street. I woke up to the sound of ziggurat connectors hitting the ground, bolting out and climbing up to see cracky raver fuckheads trying to take the altar apart because they didn't want to have to lift their heads to see the sunrise.
  • Someone swiped some of our art on burn night, and damaged/destroyed a couple other pieces. After my campmate had put lots of heart and soul into creating awesome pieces, someone ripped the Faun head off the 2x4 it had been screwed into and made off with it. I'm assuming the same person also wanted the dragon skull, but they were unsuccessful, only managing to damage it. The little hellraiser cube they tried to take was completely destroyed in the process.
  • Somebody took a shit under the side of our box truck one night. Not just next to the truck, but actually underneath (I guess using some part of the vehicle to squat against). So very foul.
How Rude!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:55 pm

trilobyte wrote:Somebody took a shit under the side of our box truck one night. Not just next to the truck, but actually underneath (I guess using some part of the vehicle to squat against). So very foul.
And here I thought the dude who left all of his stuff was a bad moop-up job. But you sir, won the prize for worst moop clean up of the year.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Worst part of 2013: no Tuna Camp.
Tuna camp refugees were camped near me. They had tuna.
Sic Semper Spectatores

msj2u

Post by msj2u » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Yikes, Trilobyte....I thought the loser camp behind us was awful!

MSJ

p.s. thanks for the info on the Temple burn before going this year!!

I can't be muted

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:09 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge to Experiences At Burning Man, since that's a better fit.

ah, the joys of esplanade...

kids these days have no manners...

thats what 50,000 volt cattle prods are for....

if anyone asks, it's a Marital Aid...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Trilo, your experiences put mine to shame. I stand corrected. I had NO 'worst part'. It was all sunshine and lilacs.

Arthur Schopenhauer

msj2u

Post by msj2u » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Hiya Ratty,

Wish I could make SF!! As for the gifts, they have this year painted on them.

Guess I could hand them out next year and say I've been at the burn for a year? LOL

Thanks for the invite and idea,

MSJ

I can't be muted

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

VultureChow wrote: Tuna camp refugees were camped near me. They had tuna.
Well I'm glad the refugees made it out and there was tuna, but it might be more of a heartache knowing that they were there and I missed it!

Where were they camped?

Asquared
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Asquared » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 am

walking back from robot heart one sunrise, i saw evidence of someone's uh..., blowout. not sure how one would go about de-mooping that, but it nearly had throw up next to it. how friggin disgusting.

new thread - what to do if you're about to shit your pants in deep playa?
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
VultureChow wrote: Tuna camp refugees were camped near me. They had tuna.
Well I'm glad the refugees made it out and there was tuna, but it might be more of a heartache knowing that they were there and I missed it!

Where were they camped?
Roughly 3:50 and E.
Sic Semper Spectatores

strange love

Post by strange love » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Speaking of non-potty trained burners.. someone took a shit on the floor in the urinal-only porto over by Pink Mammoth, and guessed who stepped in it? :(

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I had a pretty damned great year, so short of vehicle issues, my worst of 2013, isn't very bad.

We arrived Tuesday (due to vehicle issues) hit gate road about 5:45ish. Got out of Will Call at 6pm. Dope, Gate shift change :x . We sat at will call watching the 45 minute shift change, and gates not open tell about 6:45ish. We're starting to run out of sunlight. When we did get to go, will call line was first through gate. Gate was a breeze, tickets ready, nothing to hide, everything is easy to see. Had to role the back windows down, box of Franzia jumped out at Gate gal, so we gave it to her. Super easy, took less than 2 minutes.

BUT GREETERS! Good Lord!
I was 2.3 seconds away from pushing the greeter gal that was "greeting us" out of our truck window.
She spent 5 minutes telling us how having any open container inside the cab of the truck was especially bad this year, because of all the searches going on. Meanwhile, she stood on our running boards, arms and head inside the truck, with her beer in her hand. :twisted:

Her greeter partner, on the driver side of the truck got it right away.
He asks "Hey guys, is this your first Burn?"
We reply "No, this is our fifth Burnin Man."
Him: "Sweet, you know all the rules and all that. We can skip the speech?"
Me: "Yep!"
Him: "Awesome, here is your WWW. Have a great Burn!"

Then the nice lady spends another 4 minutes explaining why an open container is such a bad idea.
"Yeah, we totally know, we've done this few times before"
Her: "No really, you can't have any open beers or anything!"
Me: "Yes, I understand. I'd like to get to camp before sun set."
Her: "Seriously. Make sure you aren't drinking anything. If you have something poor it out and give us the can."
At this point, her partner chimes in "OK, lets get them moving, they understand!"

Considering that was the worst part. It was a pretty great burn.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

maria_butterfly

Post by maria_butterfly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 am

I got scabies. :oops: A highly communicable skin disease. It takes 4 weeks to manifest and it happened exactly 4 weeks after the burn. I didn't even go to the Orgy Dome or do anything promiscuous. I have to rub pesticides in my skin non stop. We all bitch about over crowding but could this be a sign that its becoming a public health problem? That fuzzy art car cuddle party with sketch blankets at 4 am might seem like a godsend at 4 am when you're fried out of your mind. But think again.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:22 am

maria_butterfly wrote:I got scabies. :oops: A highly communicable skin disease. It takes 4 weeks to manifest and it happened exactly 4 weeks after the burn. I didn't even go to the Orgy Dome or do anything promiscuous. I have to rub pesticides in my skin non stop. We all bitch about over crowding but could this be a sign that its becoming a public health problem? That fuzzy art car cuddle party with sketch blankets at 4 am might seem like a godsend at 4 am when you're fried out of your mind. But think again.
The likelihood that you're going to get scabies, or bedbugs, or lice is about the same as anywhere like that attracting large crowds from around the world. I know someone who got lice from airliner seats. I also check my mattress and bed-spreads in every hotel I go to to check for bed bugs because even high-end hotels may carry them.

Many people don't even know they are infested. Perhaps they weren't when they left their homes, but picked it up at the hotel or some seat during the trip.

Perhaps even YOU have been spreading scabies around without knowing it!

Fortunately, the high cost of the event keeps a lot of dirty hippies out of the event. We should all be thankful for that (thankful for less dirty hippies, not so much the higher costs).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am

I call bullshit. 4 weeks ago, will call was just opening. Unless, of course, it was early entry scabies...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Stories”