Worst part of 2013?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Worst part of 2013?

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 am

Drifting on the potty issue...

The handle in the potty at 4 & H broke on Tuesday or so, rendering it useless for me. I went down to the one at D instead. The Porta Potty Pigs were camped there, so there was always germ-x. Thank you, porta potty pigs. (P Cubed?) Saw Robbidobbs and told her about that handle, and she said that they were a day and a half behind.
Oh look, 48 hanging 1/2 oz of hand sanitizer, perfect for gifting...
I bring my own and use it before leaving the blue room, but I figure that there had to be a lot of people who didn't and grabbed the bars or fumbled with the lock, so twice wasn't bad. And I always spun out the combination so that some one clever and snotty wouldn't be able to figure out the combo by looking at it. It seemed to be a minority approach.

Of course, as usual, I only acclimatized to the desert in the last couple days, so spent a lot of time near camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

wayneal

Post by wayneal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Cameras, cameras everywhere! Every art installation is another photo-op! Monkey-Douches step right up and on top of anyone enjoying their space for a shot! Yet another documentary on BM is being filmed, 6:00 is the best angle of the burns. I cannot wait to post this on facebook…

Picture taking is voyeristic, defys impermanence, is non-permissive in most cases and is an indicator of a posing tourist. Capture the light, the essence in your heart, make art with photos, if you must shoot at all.
Sound...Light...Contact

wasp
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Accaplaya

Post by wasp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Carrying with me emotional shit left over from last year's Burn. Between that and similar problems with other camp members there was a lot more angst than last year.

But being AT Burning Man made a lit of it seem OK, and most of it blew over quite quickly :)

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 pm

AntiM wrote:Genius had his clutch go out on the way in, but luck was on his side that day, the first person who stopped to help was actually in a position to help, including a car trailer and a friend who was a kick ass mechanic who came in on his day off.

Bearings went out on the rhoadescar. So had to fix that. Next day, other side bearings went out. Larry had to push me back to camp both times, which is why TK never got her painting. Next day, catastrophic tire blow out under my ass, actually dimmed my hearing for a while. Darkwad rammed into the trike, bending the entire wheel. Other bikes got flats. Bad week for bikes.

Asshole on the corner across from us had a bullhorn. Not funny or original in the least. Yeah, "Hushville be quiet..." never heard that one before, so a few dozen more times over several evenings won't make it more unique. Although when he passed out, his friend gave ma a sharpie to write "Hushville" across his forehead. Bitch, please. I also talked them into putting their pickle slices down his clothing.

Bugging out, but not early enough, nine hours in exodus.

New truck is dusty. Dagnabbit!

Hahaha rough indeed!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Stray Dog
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

wayneal wrote:Cameras, cameras everywhere! Every art installation is another photo-op! Monkey-Douches step right up and on top of anyone enjoying their space for a shot! Yet another documentary on BM is being filmed, 6:00 is the best angle of the burns. I cannot wait to post this on facebook…

Picture taking is voyeristic, defys impermanence, is non-permissive in most cases and is an indicator of a posing tourist. Capture the light, the essence in your heart, make art with photos, if you must shoot at all.

LIKE!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
mulch wrote:This was my first year so I realize this isn't a new revelation to many of you So most nights I roamed the playa by bike with my new and old friends with carefully planned and executed neural adjustments. It was beautiful and perfect in all ways. Except for that god damned cheese grater on my nerves "music" that was blared from 5 different sound camps and mutant vehicles.

If I was king, there would be some quiet hours when the music was turned way down on the playa. Even if you somehow like that shit, you couldn't possibly enjoy it when it's mixed with several other similar wretched versions of the same angry crapola.

I'm not so incompetent that I couldn't tune it out but the playa at night with the stars alone is beautiful and the music makes it less so.

BITCH, PLEASE.....
I LOVE the music...I absolutely love it!! What I don't care for so much is only hearing the pulsing bass when I am at some distance from the speakers or dance venue...when all I hear is the onz onz onz of the bass, that IMO, is not music.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Psy trance, dubstep etc. are not things I would just sit down and listen to. But man. I can dance my ASS off to that stuff. Especially when I can anticipate the notes where fire is shot into the air.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:50 pm

I should have engaged more with the beautiful people, and that is everyone.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm

...when all I hear is the onz onz onz of the bass, that IMO, is not music.
I'd disagree on the basis that drum and voice is the oldest music there it. Not that I like edm, understand, but its musicality isn't an issue with me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 pm

One morning, I snapped awake super-early, as I often do. Four or five in the morning. I could not hear a thing except silence. Weird. I stuck my fingers in my ears to check for earplugs. Nope, just silence. Mid-week. WTF? Didn't last, but it was an anomaly.

pink
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

7:30 & D had one Porto without a seat. I thought of it as a hoverer's Porto, but never had paper to make a sign. Luckily by opening day someone, probably Robbi, had: 'Hoverers welcome!'.

Worst was when I found a note on my van for my partner: leaving 2am! From his ride and realizing I'd not have another night. Luckily he convinced them to leave at 6 am instead.

Oh, and right now feeling like a bus hit me. Ugh, adrenalin crash.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

pink
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Competing was mooping all the damned feathers & sequins. Tons of the fuckers.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

tinymystic

Post by tinymystic » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Worst parts of my experience...
First night, getting stuck in the (not so accessible) porty because of a bad latch on the door.
Having to leave the party inside the circle after the man burn, too early... :(
The dust... UGH! My chairs did okay, but, the lift on my van was getting cranky. I'll be better prepared next time.
The worst part of driving around at night was being paranoid I wasn't going to see a darkwad and run them over - came close so many times!
But ultimately, the very worst part was it ended and I had to go home...
however universal spirit has a sense of humor... as I pulled into my driveway from our 18 hour drive; Pink Floyds "Welcome to the Machine" began playing on my radio... LOL oh the irony!
'no day like today"
~ tinymystic

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

So I hate to say it but most of my burn this year... Really sucked. It was not a fun burn for me.

I had one girl in my camp who was very overly sexual and would not keep her hands to her self and kept trying to fool around , put hands where they did not belong,flirt with Tom. Tom did talk to her and told her she needed to slow it down, but she wouldn't stop. Those of you who know Tom here, know he is a very nice guy and goes with the flow. Well, I didn't like this, I let her have it Monday night then again on Thursday night then again on Friday night. I was 2.2 seconds away from kicking her slut ass out of camp. Yes i know, tom is one sexy piece of man, but damn it, he is taken! She not only did this with Tom but with other members and made them feel un easy. I have never seen so much disrespect. Not to mention in the first 6 hours of her arrival she was gone for an hour and a half, comes back and claimed she was gave a date rape pill. (those pills last between 5-6 hours) just bs drama the camp did not need.
She really fucked up my burn for me with all of her antics.

Then Friday day, I was having a really bad day, won't go into details but I thought I would drink so I could just go to sleep and get the day over with.mind you I have one drink or so every few months in the default world. I was a little dehydrated and proceed to drink 5/6ths of a bottle of cucumber vodka in an hour and a half. I layed down on the floor and listened to my music and then come to with the paramedics putting me in the ambulance. Apparently I had passed out face down in my own puke and my camp mates found me. They took me to rampart, pumped my stomach and put me on iv's. I was blacked out for about 5 hours. That was a very long and rough night after that.

So ya, not a good burn for me. I did not get to do much or see much, no real photos taken, missed most of the burns, just was a bd one all together. I guess this is common on the second year. Hope it will be better the third.

Oh and Tom and I's one year anniversary was spent mooping the whole camp alone and 10 hours in exodus :( that kinda sucked.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:07 am

Tattoogoddess, I'm so sad to hear about your burn. 'Drama camp' can ruin it for everybody. You might consider going it alone next year. Or with just a couple of other people who were affected by the childish acting out.

Don't be discouraged by the bad experiences. By that I mean don't let it keep you away. Screen your campmates and if you can't, then camp somewhere else. Watch out for yourself. Food, drink, alcohol etc... Next year will be GREAT. You lived. You learned.

Hey, come camp with me. I park next to a guy and we share shade, chairs, tables, etc...We call ourselves, "Over Preparation Camp". We have way too much equipment and you are welcome to come burn in peace.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:28 am

worst for me was not getting to really see or visit anyone, except for the wonderful Mng at BDC. Thanks are not enough for the crew who put that on.
Life demands took the "free time" I had built into my burn away, so.....dang.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ranchdude

Post by Ranchdude » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:55 am

Worst part? I had a great first burn. Great camp location, good peeps, weather was awesome, ect, ect. Meet Captain Goddammit and Tatonka on the playa one night.

I did have my breakdown Saturday morning. Tired, could not sleep, too much dubstep, went out on the playa, could not get away from it, went back to camp and was able to get a good nap in an all was well.

12 hour exodus, it was OK, played spades and had a great time doing it. 2 RV's were handing out grilled cheese sammitches, all was good.

So, worked hard, played hard, and after a 30 hour drive home, slept hard. Want to do it again.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 am

TTG, if you continue to do a theme camp, consider having a No Drama policy. As camp leaders, you let everyone know up front you have the ability to evict them from your camp, at your discretion. Drama which is recurring after one warning results in you and you other camp mates breaking down the offender's camp, and setting it up in open camping. You must define drama beforehand, and be sure everyone knows you're serious before paying any dies or making a commitment to your camp.

Hey, it can only get better.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 am

AntiM wrote:TTG, if you continue to do a theme camp, consider having a No Drama policy. As camp leaders, you let everyone know up front you have the ability to evict them from your camp, at your discretion. Drama which is recurring after one warning results in you and you other camp mates breaking down the offender's camp, and setting it up in open camping. You must define drama beforehand, and be sure everyone knows you're serious before paying any dies or making a commitment to your camp.

Hey, it can only get better.
Funny thing is, Tom and I did a mandatory meeting on Monday night and that was said. Causevshevwouldnt get off her damn phone and was complaining about drama back home. So I implemented that policy right then and there.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 am

I think the worst thing I saw was rolling into the gate on friday afternoon and all I could see in the distance was police lights. There must have been 4+ RV's pulled over with dogs going through them. Then after getting into the city, having a police truck swing in behind me and following me for a few blocks before pulling away. Welcome home!

BurningRondo
Camp Name: Camp Remember

Post by BurningRondo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:37 am

Suffering the swift setting in of a truly monstrous headcold during the excruciatingly slow traffic all the way from BRC to the Bay Area. My voice is still shot, but that was a nasty three days of the worst cold I've had in my life!
Sugar
Camp Remember

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:39 am

You just reminded me of the absolute WORST part. I was greeting on Sunday night. There weren't very many early entry people to greet so the greeters were anxious for the mass entrance. We heard 2 loud booms and then about 15 minutes later the 1st and 2nd cars were making their way to us. Everyone was in little groups doing a kick line or the can-can. Happy revelry quickly turned to tears and boos. The 1st F-----ing car got a ticket! So sad.......

I love the cops and everything they do to make me safe but that was uncalled for.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 am

Sunday morning after the burn is my most favorite time on the playa. We make our way to the temple and watch the sunrise. This year we separated from our campmates early in the morning and all planned to meet up to greet the sun. My sweetie and I found a nice spot to lean against the wall watch. There were others next to us and behind us. So cozy. All the sudden a flashing art car comes right up in front of us (blocking the view of the sunrise for all that had gathered) and started to unload what looks like tourists. We start to hope they are just doing a drop off and not planning on staying parked right in front of the temple...but no. The bartender starts mixing drinks as all the people that were sitting enjoying the view start to stand up and wonder why this asshat thinks it's OK to simply park in the best view and block it for everyone else. My sweetie yells -"you are so rude to park there." I just grabbed his hand and made my way out to the open playa. After the sunrise we went back to the temple to get our bikes and make our yearly ride to the trash fence to make dust angels and there was a huge crowd of people around the art car. Maybe some kind of wedding?

I wish I had the balls to ask what camp it was and let them know they ruined my peaceful moment, but I didn't. I just shook my head and continued my burn. Asshats.
In dust we trust.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 am

Ratty wrote:You just reminded me of the absolute WORST part. I was greeting on Sunday night. There weren't very many early entry people to greet so the greeters were anxious for the mass entrance. We heard 2 loud booms and then about 15 minutes later the 1st and 2nd cars were making their way to us. Everyone was in little groups doing a kick line or the can-can. Happy revelry quickly turned to tears and boos. The 1st F-----ing car got a ticket! So sad.......

I love the cops and everything they do to make me safe but that was uncalled for.
That was definitely a bad moment.
I thought it was the second car but the nekkid Russian guy with the sign was distracting me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:43 pm

I saw three people pulled over on my way in. I wonder how much a speeding ticket costs when you're doing 8 in a 5 zone?

Jewelz2013
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Jewelz2013 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am

roody wrote:I think the pulsing of arrivals Sunday morning that resulted in a 10 hour commute from the snoopy rock to my camp was pretty horrific. But other than that it was all sweet on the inside, one of the best burns ever!
I left Saturday at exactly 11 am. I sat at the front of the line to exit for another 2 hours, the pulsing apparently didn't work and obviously got worse as the day turned into Sunday and Monday. It took from 11 am til 2 to get to Gerlach. Leaving early was no better than arriving. Pulsing is lame in my book but honestly, I'd do it all again and I will next year, nothing will stop me from going.
Peace yo! Lookout! Jewelz on the Playa

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:36 am

Jewelz2013 wrote:I left Saturday at exactly 11 am. I sat at the front of the line to exit for another 2 hours, the pulsing apparently didn't work and obviously got worse as the day turned into Sunday and Monday. It took from 11 am til 2 to get to Gerlach. Leaving early was no better than arriving. Pulsing is lame in my book but honestly, I'd do it all again and I will next year, nothing will stop me from going.
No, you probably just don't understand the benefits of pulsing, or maybe what it is even doing. Think of it like a long stop-light instead of a 4-way stop. Whereas with the former you could turn off your engine until the light goes green, the latter you'd have to keep your engine on all the time to move up as the line slowly creeps. Essentially it saves you a lot of gas.

In fact, it excels in situations like yours where there are longer delay beyond the gate. The fact that you mention a 1hr drive just to get to Gerlach (only 15 miles from the gate) indicates that it was probably the real source of the delay at the gate, not anything to do with pulsing not working.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:51 am

tattoogoddess wrote:So I hate to say it but most of my burn this year... Really sucked. It was not a fun burn for me.

I had one girl in my camp who was very overly sexual and would not keep her hands to her self and kept trying to fool around , put hands where they did not belong,flirt with Tom. Tom did talk to her and told her she needed to slow it down, but she wouldn't stop. Those of you who know Tom here, know he is a very nice guy and goes with the flow. Well, I didn't like this, I let her have it Monday night then again on Thursday night then again on Friday night. I was 2.2 seconds away from kicking her slut ass out of camp. Yes i know, tom is one sexy piece of man, but damn it, he is taken! She not only did this with Tom but with other members and made them feel un easy. I have never seen so much disrespect. Not to mention in the first 6 hours of her arrival she was gone for an hour and a half, comes back and claimed she was gave a date rape pill. (those pills last between 5-6 hours) just bs drama the camp did not need.
She really fucked up my burn for me with all of her antics.

Was she a small women with short hair? She ran her nails down my back and grabbed my ass , I turned around and she just smiled at me and walked off , she was on everyones lap , and was real flirty. Didnt see a name tag so I guessed she wasnt with M%G .
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:56 am

Are you complaining? :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Flirty and overly sexual is just fine... great even, unless it's been made clear to you that your target is "taken" and their partner doesn't like you doing that - then you change from "fun" to "bitch"!
I got flirted with a lot, but everyone who did cut back when they found out I had a "First Mate" with me. No harm done. That's how it should be.

But ya' know... sometimes on the playa it's not even flattering; when it's a way-younger-than-me total stranger, it's usually just because I've got that boat or a bar or other amenities. If I'm away from the boat or other shit I brought, then it's flattering.
I suppose it's the same as women feel when guys hit on them just because they've got nice tits or whatever.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Stories”