Slippery insight

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Slippery insight

Post by Sundial » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 pm

So. We're back. Some of us have learned some really good stuff or found some direction. But I'm scared that I'm going to lose that and just forget or fall back into old patterns. Anyone else ever dealt with that sort of thing?
(((steps inside his snark fallout shelter)))
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Re: Slippery insight

Post by Savannah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes, of course. Absolutely. And every single time. :)

My recommendation is to start writing, privately and immediately--everything that's in your head. You're probably going to need one document for recollections, one for logistical improvements, of course . . . and another for things about your default life that need changing.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah, I've been writing. Right now I'm hammering out the timeline of things that happened in short form, then I'll write more prose-like once I've secured that. I'm also keeping a list of lessons learned, and things I should bring next time. But mostly its that first one that's of greatest interest. Hopefully it means I'll have more to say at my local decomp.
Savannah wrote:Yes, of course. Absolutely. And every single time. :)

My recommendation is to start writing, privately and immediately--everything that's in your head. You're probably going to need one document for recollections, one for logistical improvements, of course . . . and another for things about your default life that need changing.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Schtev wrote:Yeah, I've been writing. Right now I'm hammering out the timeline of things that happened in short form, then I'll write more prose-like once I've secured that. I'm also keeping a list of lessons learned, and things I should bring next time. But mostly its that first one that's of greatest interest. Hopefully it means I'll have more to say at my local decomp.
Savannah wrote:Yes, of course. Absolutely. And every single time. :)

it gets a bit easier every year. After 6 years I feel the same way each time I get back into my default world bed. I have found that each year I get more and more the way I wish to be. I write, and write, reflect and plan. Reading over recent writings and back in time to my first writing.

All I can say for sure is that I know I am a different person than I was. Not the human that first set his feet on the dusty playa - many years ago.

Every step forward is one closer to my goal.

(You are probably feeling discombobulated, but I can promise it will get better.)

Keep the faith :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm totally learning how to spin a fire staff. At least that bit is pretty straightforward. 8)

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:46 pm

I think the key is to set your goals, and make sure you try them a little at a time, starting now. I'm going to start my bike decoration ideas in the next couple of weeks, for starters. If I'm really ambitious, some clothing crap. Earlier this summer I was at the point where starting would have been a waste of time as I'd not have finished to the level I needed.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 pm

fuuuck that shit.

just wing it.
Don't link to anything here!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 am

I find that most of that "feel good" feeling is from pushing yourself to do things and that feeling of accomplishment that you did. The event itself is mostly just a place that enables that for people in a safe environment. So I like to start up a creative project, possibly with other people.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 am

I'm more concerned about the, "Oh! This is how I need to drastically alter my life/career/location/whatever!" Less so with creative projects or the next Burn (though those are important too).

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:15 am

By the way, Schtev, I must say that after meeting you, you do look exactly like your avatar!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 am

I came out of my mother's vagina like this! :D

delle

Post by delle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:49 am

Darling!

We (you know who) are completely and irrevocably a part of Camp Schtev The Fullest and will never let you forget your new focuses. Elected King Flower of the camp, watching you flourish was truly one of the highlights of our little collective camp, and beyond.

I know much of the contents of your musings, and the importance of them. These are not farflung dreams, but very real and easy to obtain life changes that we (you know who) are very much looking forward to being a part of.

Love you, Schtev. Longterm and deeply.
But you knew that!!!!

:-)
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Scatter42

Post by Scatter42 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 am

Yea - that thing that Delle said

And a huge dusty hug to go with it....

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

I really miss you guys already. Love you too. :cry:
delle wrote:Darling!

We (you know who) are completely and irrevocably a part of Camp Schtev The Fullest and will never let you forget your new focuses. Elected King Flower of the camp, watching you flourish was truly one of the highlights of our little collective camp, and beyond.

I know much of the contents of your musings, and the importance of them. These are not farflung dreams, but very real and easy to obtain life changes that we (you know who) are very much looking forward to being a part of.

Love you, Schtev. Longterm and deeply.
But you knew that!!!!

:-)

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm glad to have been a (albeit small) part of that experience, and to watch the transformation!
(By the way, that Schtev can DANCE!)
I also agree with what Delle wrote, and hope to get updates on your defaultian situation.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Return to “Stories”