Sick Parade (2013)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Sick Parade (2013)

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am

I find myself sore in all sorts of places, with a couple of odd bruises, of mysterious origin. But then I always come home with something like that. I know of two village-mates who had to go to Ramparts...
So, any illness or injury stories?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Re: Sick Parade (2013)

Post by JayBobBoy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

Many of my campmates were working at the Rampart during the week as docs and paramedics. All were wonderful and dedicated burners. According to their stories it was mostly the usual trampoline injuries, rebar cuts, and overdoses. They were kind enough to spare us the gory details.

One injury in particular occurred early in the week when someone was knocked off the Wolf sculpture by the spinning head. It was secured in place shortly after that.

The docs and medics at the Rampart deserve a heartfelt "Thank You" for all that they do.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am

As an ESD widow, I heartily concur.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 pm

i totally bumped by head in stupid fasion later in the event and didnt notice that it must have bled because of a scab i had until i got to reno and looked at myself in the mirror.

*woops*
Don't link to anything here!

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 pm

I had a cold and fever. Knocked me out for around 36 hours. As I understand it, something had been going around. Still have congestion and cough a week later.

Plus all the myriad of bruises and scrapes that come from stumbling into a tent late at night.
Sic Semper Spectatores

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:10 pm

I tore some sort of vein or artery in my leg, it still seems to be bleeding, making clay/pudding like swelling low, and like a "bag of water/blood" up near my knee........not too sore, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm

im tired and still not all the way unpacked yet.
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 pm

My only injury aside from assorted bruises of unknown origin was having a sex swing break as soon as I got into it, dumping me head first onto hard playa. Really ruined the mood :cry:

Most injuries in my camp were dome-building related.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:43 pm

i got by without a mark..

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:44 pm

I managed to smash my campmate's pinky in a sawhorse until it ripped a gouge of skin off the tip. So that's two years in attendance and two finger injuries. :(
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Note to self: Don't give BSG the finger...
The Lady with a Lamprey

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 pm

At first blush I thought I came away unscathed but then I realized I'm having some stomach issues which are frighteningly similar to symptoms I used to have when I suffered from ulcers (which were well earned and an accouterment of a highly stressful job that were, supposedly, successfully treated with anitbiotic treatment in a, seemingly, past life).

I'm hoping it's just a result of a crappy diet over the last few weeks. I don't know how truckers do it, I couldn't find a decent meal on the road that wasn't fat-infused, highly processed, salt coated crap or just plain mediocre (even with the help of yelp when they weren't in rest stops on the road). On the plus side I'm feeling like I lost a good 10 pounds (first task when I cross the threshold is head for the scale). It's hard to fathom someone working in a kitchen saying they can't wait to get in front of stove again but it's all too true.

I'm not sure how Foxfur fared but given the extent of his cuts and scrapes I'd sure hate to see the other guy :wink:
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 pm

While cutting zipties when unpacking the MV I managed to butterfly the palm of my hand with a drywall razor knife. Thankfully it was a straight clean cut, so no need for stitches, just steri-strips and a wrap. I haven't bled that much in years.
Big thanks to Jillian working Ramparts pre-event Sunday mid-morning.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:54 pm

This year I have apparently broken a small bone at the base of my thumb. Medics said the plate was "chippy" confirming what the Aussie stock in camp said. She said it in a much better accent. Was in a splint from Friday re-event and got quite a rash under it. Rather like playa foot.

First year I got stitches on that same thumb. In my previous 53 years of existence I'd never had a stitch or a broken bone (not counting toes, damn strappy heels anyway).
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Bruised rib from a nasty head-on with a sand-dune on Monday night at the beginning of the week (hopefully just bruised, can't get into the dr until Mon), second time I've wrecked my ribs out there, though the last time was a fracture and this hurts much less. Other than that, just the normal assorted random bruises.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:Many of my campmates were working at the Rampart during the week as docs and paramedics. All were wonderful and dedicated burners. According to their stories it was mostly the usual trampoline injuries, rebar cuts, and overdoses. They were kind enough to spare us the gory details.

One injury in particular occurred early in the week when someone was knocked off the Wolf sculpture by the spinning head. It was secured in place shortly after that.

The docs and medics at the Rampart deserve a heartfelt "Thank You" for all that they do.
One of my camp mates took that fall Sunday night, EMS dropped him off at camp about 1 am. He was ok other then damn large bruises.

:twisted:

Happy Feet hobbled a day or two.

DancesWithElves
Camp Name: Distrikt

Post by DancesWithElves » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm

We saw a serious injury Thursday morning out at the art car gathering for sunrise... it appeared that a girl had fallen from a high point on one of the cars and was not moving, eyes open. I heard rumblings later in the week of a broken neck, not sure how it all turned out. I sure hope she survived and will recover! Can anyone confirm?
She who must be obeyed

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm

I managed to avoid any breaks or fractures this year and just had the usual cuts and bruises until Sunday when I came down with some sort of flu type sickness for about a day and a half (a really unpleasant experience on the playa).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I slammed twice at Sk8 Kamp ... but got the worst little shinner randomly tripping over my skateboard at my camp. WTF LOL

The wife and I both picked up a cold on the way out which sucked/sucks. Still a little congested, etc.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Setting up camp I walked into the bike rack on the back of the Jeep and split my nose open. Nothing major but you would think so with all the blood :(
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Medical at 9:00 sent someone to hospital in Reno. After getting discharged, they posted here asking for a ride.
Sent them to Air Playa Info at the airport for a Rideshare (Thursday, still volunteers due to be on duty).
For future, any better ideas?

Last I heard they had a ride from some "Burgins" heading up.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 24&t=66788
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:10 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:...One injury in particular occurred early in the week when someone was knocked off the Wolf sculpture by the spinning head. It was secured in place shortly after that....
Say photos of it early in the week with hard playa below the head. Later in the week, there was a fall mat below the head.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 pm

The head was pretty if'y climb..

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Second degree burn on my shoulder and first degree on my forearm from working on the art car and burning myself on the exhaust (both times within 5 minutes of each other) I was so Frustrated at working on it by that point I stopped paying attention to the hot parts.

So this year was better than last year for injuries. Gotta love having a Nurse in camp ((MDF)). Im the type of person that wouldn't go to Med station till someone drug me there.

Then I accidentally lit part of my kilt on fire scavenging souvenirs at the man base and burnt the back of my leg, but that was a light one no attention needed. Poor kilt :(

I blame Grai(not really), he said he wasn't going to light himself on fire this year so apparently I needed to...

I was curious why the head was tied still part way through the week. I figured someone must have fallen but never heard anything about it.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 pm

DancesWithElves wrote:We saw a serious injury Thursday morning out at the art car gathering for sunrise... it appeared that a girl had fallen from a high point on one of the cars and was not moving, eyes open. I heard rumblings later in the week of a broken neck, not sure how it all turned out. I sure hope she survived and will recover! Can anyone confirm?
No. Patients are covered by serious privacy protection, so unless the patient herself comments, you're unlikely to know. Even then, you're unlikely to believe anyone who posts as her. I hope the outcome was better than paralyzation, or that emerging medical tech and techniques can repair in the future.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:40 pm

unjonharley wrote:The head was pretty if'y climb..
Seemed to almost always have someone on it or getting on it.
2013-08-coyote.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Canoe on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DancesWithElves
Camp Name: Distrikt

Post by DancesWithElves » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks, Crypofishist! Here's hoping the outcome was better than it looked.
She who must be obeyed

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:49 am

Official diagnosis of my thumb is gamekeepers thumb. Cortisone shot and ice, elevation, rest. If not better in two weeks or so go back for more X-rays, cast etc. ouch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamekeeper's_thumb
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am

I got a blister under my little toe, along the callus I always have there. Wasn't my shoes or socks which gave it to me, it was my own callus up against my other toe. Bastard slowed me down considerably. I know, just a blister, but it sucked. I was well behaved and did not pop it.

I know, there are solutions. Thanks.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

Wore gloves all week; eating, riding bike, hugging, etc. Took gloves off to dismantle camp. Pinched two fingers in vise grips while pulling up stakes. Put gloves back on to stop the bleeding. Kinda funny.

Return to “Stories”