Resolutions

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sundial
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Resolutions

Post by Sundial » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 am

So. Burning Man is, among other things, a transformative festival. Transformation often goes hand in hand with goal setting. I'm curious what goals people are setting as a result of their experiences at this year's Burn?

Here's a goal of mine to get things started (though frankly my head's still a mess). One thing I've resolved to do is take up the art of fire staff spinning.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Re: Resolutions

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 am

Harder, faster, longer, plus I plan to be a more friendly person, less judgmental, by 2015.
I actually had a long conversation with, I believe, a real person who told me that everything is temporary and fleeting, that what we have is it. She asked me what I wanted most, and I looked back on a beautiful smart half-dressed woman and realized I had it, just didn't know what to do with it. Rolling out off this year's burn it's back to being my ornery self, but I will keep on trying.

Though I do plan to continue being a foolish old man, inspite of the best intentioned advice.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Remember, no life-changing decisions for at least a month after the burn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Sometimes I question that logic. Maybe a healthy dose of temporary insanity is exactly what's needed sometimes.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Sometimes. That advice represents a certain amount of collective wisdom gathered from cases in which it turned out to be erroneous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Schtev wrote:Sometimes I question that logic. Maybe a healthy dose of temporary insanity is exactly what's needed sometimes.
Write down the changes you want to make. Think hard about the changes - if they still look good in two weeks, they were good to begin with. Acting on "temporary insanity" can be exhilarating, it can also wreck (or come close to wrecking) something valuable in your life. Trust me on this...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeah, I know you're right. I guess I just wish you were wrong. =/

I am sure about the staff spinning thing though. I've been practicing with an aluminium pole, and I like what it does for me.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 pm

I want to put a Cummins diesel in my GMC duallie... MAYBE just buy a Dodge with one in it, but I like my GMC - and I already have it.
I worry a lot about crossing all those mountain passes in the middle of nowhere stressing the hell out of my old 454. I'm at over 20,000 pounds.

So that's my resolution... that or a big bus!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Learning something isn't life changing.

My goal is to go through with more of what I tell myself I want to do. I've got a bad habit of wanting to learn or do something new and just letting the moment pass.
Sometimes a life changing decision is needed when you have the motivation though. I wouldn't call mine spurred by Burning Man just pushed over the edge.

Cpt'n the problem I have with a Cummins swap (I want to put on in my 82 Cherokee chief) is buying a running dodge with a Cummins in it is cheaper than finding a running motor/trans out of a truck.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Was just thinking about this an hour ago and told my friend: "I'm going to wear the ratty clothes I wore at burning men in public and not care (as if it's normal)."
In fact I was wearing such ratty clothing on the evening walk when I told her.
IMG_5370 (640x467).jpg
Resolve to be nice(r) -- smile and say hello to the other joggers I see at 6am.
IMG_5370 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm

MikeGyver wrote:Learning something isn't life changing.
I will share with you something my grandmother told me on her 92nd birthday: "Learning something is ALWAYS life changing. Its the NOT learning something that keeps you in chains. If you are the same person today that you were yesterday, you need to have a chat with the guy in the mirror."

I think she was a closet Burner. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
MikeGyver wrote:Learning something isn't life changing.
I will share with you something my grandmother told me on her 92nd birthday: "Learning something is ALWAYS life changing. Its the NOT learning something that keeps you in chains. If you are the same person today that you were yesterday, you need to have a chat with the guy in the mirror."

I think she was a closet Burner. :mrgreen:
Fair enough, but thats not the way I meant it. Everyone says not to do something life changing right after the Burn, Meaning quitting your job or moving across the world/country. Things that could end negatively, Learning something new is almost always good.

Your Grandma sounds like an awesome lady. Thats a Sig line worthy quote right there.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 pm

1: Learn fill flash a lot better than I know now (b/c I suck at it)
2: Make my ho a pimpin' coat for next year... made myself a few vests, so time to up that
3: Get more blow jobs from my girl

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 am

none

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I want to put a Cummins diesel in my GMC duallie... MAYBE just buy a Dodge with one in it, but I like my GMC - and I already have it.
I worry a lot about crossing all those mountain passes in the middle of nowhere stressing the hell out of my old 454. I'm at over 20,000 pounds.

Having owned 3 cummins powered dodges, with nearly 750,000 miles logged on them, I feel fully qualified telling you to dump the GMC and roll in the Dodge.
Praise the Lowered

ChronoGN
Burning Since: 2013

Post by ChronoGN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 am

I decided to replace my bathroom sink.
I went to IKEA on Sunday and bought a new sink and stand for $325.
I've been slowly working on it after work throughout the week. And I found out that because the new sink is lower than the old one, I will need to repaint the whole bathroom or the paint above the sink is not going to match...... Turning out to be a bigger project than previously thought.

I should've waited 2 weeks before I made this life changing decision.

666isMONEY
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 am

ChronoGN wrote:I decided to replace my bathroom sink.
I've been slowly working on it after work throughout the week. And I found out that because the new sink is lower than the old one, I will need to repaint the whole bathroom or the paint above the sink is not going to match...... Turning out to be a bigger project than previously thought.

Glue a mirror above the sink and U won't have to paint it.

delle

Post by delle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am

666isMONEY wrote:
ChronoGN wrote:I decided to replace my bathroom sink.

Glue a mirror above the sink and U won't have to paint it.
Yep, yep. Mirror, or tile or a little painted or stained quarter round to make a frame filled in with something else exciting... No need to repaint the whole derned room!!! Surely you can use this to your advantage.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:55 pm

I resolve to only bring about 1/4 of the food I think I'll need next year. I brought home SOOOOOO much food.
Also, WAY less beer and alcohol. I couldn't give that shit away at the end.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

strange love

Post by strange love » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:07 pm

TT120 wrote:I resolve to only bring about 1/4 of the food I think I'll need next year. I brought home SOOOOOO much food.
Also, WAY less beer and alcohol. I couldn't give that shit away at the end.
Woah there. I'm pretty sure DPW would have been happy to take your booze. They have a drop off called colexodus or something, I think..

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I want to put a Cummins diesel in my GMC duallie... MAYBE just buy a Dodge with one in it, but I like my GMC - and I already have it.

IF you go looking for a bus, try to find one with the 8.3 Cummins. They are out there. The 5.9 is OK, but it IS only 360 cubic inches.

The international DT466 is also very good. Around 7.3 Liters, I think. It has wet liners so it is properly rebuildable.

Do NOT buy a "forward control" like mine -- with the engine next to the driver. Impossible to work on. I'd buy a pusher if I had it to do over -- and a bigger trailer.

Or buy a delivery truck with one of those engines and a stout stick shift.

Return to “Stories”