Minimum Greet Lane?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Minimum Greet Lane?

Post by Savannah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am

cammi hudson wrote:Anyone that volunteers no matter where is what one of the parts burning man is made of but out of curiosity and yes I've looked through the burning man site. Is stopping at greeters mandatory. Yes I know that from gate road they funnel you to greeters and anyone driving off gate/greeters road quickly gets the attention of perimeter and the BLM and that greeters gives a lot of vital info but is this mandatory? Can burners who have been to the event many times just wave at the greeters and be on their way? Those who have or are current greeters you all do a great job for those who wish to stop or are virgins to burning man.
We talked about it on the first page . . .
Savannah wrote:
bartholomew wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:hippie talk rebuttal in 10...9...8...7...

They'll tell you that they only take a couple minutes per car, that you can bypass the fanfare yourself, that there already is a speed thru lane...
There is? Sweet! How is it marked?
It isn't, really. If available, they're usually completely empty and at the far left, the furthest distance away from the Greeter outbuilding/bathrooms.

If it's a high traffic time, all lanes may be full, but Greeters are supposed to wave people through more quickly then (to the point that people have complained about that, too). Whether they Greet efficiently at high traffic times or not depends on whether they've read the memo.

If you have no choice but to go through a lane with Greeters and don't wish to take more than 2 minutes, stay in the car, be pleasant, and confess that you are tired and would just like your map and guide, please. I haven't greeted in a few years, but trust me: I don't want to greet people who don't want to be greeted. Then again, I'm pretty quick about things unless the driver rats out a virgin who clearly craves some pageantry.

If you genuinely want to take a Curmudgeon Greeting shift, that's hilarious. Click "Volunteer" on the lower left on the main site's home page, and show people how it's done. I would actually wait until Jan or Feb to do so, however, as I get the impression that a lot of volunteer departments have a chronological Never-Never-Land each year, during which the processing of applications is pretty delayed.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Get with the program, consensus has shifted in favor of the greeters.

Lovin' the Greeters!!!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Get with the program, consensus has shifted in favor of the greeters.

Lovin' the Greeters!!!
Whoa. Putting "consensus" and "burners" in the same thought? Radical stuff!!! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 am

trilobyte wrote:I kid with regards to saying proper. But seriously - get involved with bigger projects next year. The bigger the project, the earlier you arrive (with proper paperwork, of course). The earlier you arrive, the quicker you get through gate and greeters.
Like Trilo pointed out - a huge percentage of BM peeps do not even know there is a greeters station and as Savannah pointe out - simply let the greeters know your beat and they will pass you right through.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Return to “Stories”