I feel Burning Man is a White thing

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: I feel Burning Man is a White thing

Post by tatonka » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, being a red-headed black guy sure must be tough.
two of my buddys in the service were mixed blood also , one was asian and black ,he had light skin and brown hair , other was white and black , he had red hair and freckles and a red small afro, but coffee color skin.
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I wish the OP would come back and say what he thinks about all this. Because at this point, we've inevitably moved into a very abstract conversation, and we're making guesses as to how all this related to the original observation.
That would require knowing if the OP was a real person, a sock, or a troll just do a drive-by shit stirring. Since they haven't posted again, I lean towards the later two.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Well, I do think the topic post is an interesting one, worthy of discussion, regardless of intent. Some of the other shit that filled this thread... well, not so much.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 am

and then this happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 am

exactly !!

pissing contest winners only

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:30 am

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I wish the OP would come back and say what he thinks about all this. Because at this point, we've inevitably moved into a very abstract conversation, and we're making guesses as to how all this related to the original observation.
That would require knowing if the OP was a real person, a sock, or a troll just do a drive-by shit stirring. Since they haven't posted again, I lean towards the later two.
Absolutely possible. Although, a sock might well post again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:59 am

flood the hood with LSD.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

BBadger wrote: Conversely, a social group that does not treat diversity as a point of significance is one where fairness, with respect to that diversity, is most evident. That fairness is not necessarily "good" either -- as the OP found out -- it just means that now you're not treated special, for better or worse.
Yep, tokenism is a problem and must be a serious frustration for those subject to it. At the same time, there's bucketloads of researching demonstrating that diverse organizations are more capable, providing the leadership of the organization is able to manage that diversity.
I'm not slamming anyone here. I just think the concept that the topic of diversity comes up in such a manner to be questionable. Do you look at the demographics of your camp and start thinking "oh wow, we're a bunch of white people, let's make some black friends!" No, I think that's rather stupid. After all, what is your motivation at that point?
Nope, I don't, though our camp is a fairly diverse mix. That's not by design though, I'll certainly grant. Just how the camp ended up.

So I'm asking: why does that question come up at all? To me, it's like asking: "does your camp allow other races in?" -- which shouldn't need to be asked (and if it does, then there is a problem); or, "are you trying to make your camp more diverse?" which implies a quota.
Well, the question of diversity at Burning Man goes further than just whether individual camps are welcoming to people of other races (and I believe that all or nearly all of them are actually), I think. The whole Burners without Borders effort, for instance, is certainly one way for the Org to try and create a more diverse BRC by encouraging a more diverse group of people to come via exposing them to the good Burners do vs. putting pressure on camps to 'diversify' themselves (which wouldn't work and is ridiculous, as you say). To me, it's mainly on the event leadership to do what it can to expose BM to a wider group of people vs individual camps needing to worry about the racial, gender, religious, <etc etc> makeup of their camps.

But at the same time, I give it exactly zero seconds of thought when I'm on the playa. I think we may be talking about this now only because there's not much else to discuss this far from next year's Burn. :)

That the ultimate form of status is the luxury of unawareness of issues below your position.
Yeah, +1 to this.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:50 am

What about the German/Scot's??

Are we being treated equally? huh? huh?

This thread should be locked.. Let the racist finger pointers find another board

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 am

There have been more foreign burners than people from east of the mississippi for some time.
That's the bigger diversity issue at burning man.

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 pm

If only Diddy could chime in, lol

I'm on a Mexican soccer forum all the damn time

I mentioned I was going to Burning Man

One of the replies:

"Gross. White people."

lols were had ... I posted the Diddy Instagram shot first thing afterwards.

---

the 'wish I was white' part of the OP bugs me, though

closure on that would be nice. fishy addressed it best - if that's a real sentiment, getting that message would be pretty important.

but it could also be the clearest signal of trolling

prolly never know

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:31 pm

"I wish I was white" is indeed a very suspect statement. :roll:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 pm

[media]

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 pm

DrYes wrote:The whole Burners without Borders effort, for instance, is certainly one way for the Org to try and create a more diverse BRC by encouraging a more diverse group of people to come...
Okay, Burners Without Borders is not the llc's baby. It started more or less spontaneously in 2005 when the news about Hurricane Katrina spread through the city towards the end of the burn. Yes, it's given a camping spot and other forms of support by the organization, but it is its own thing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Savannah wrote:"I wish I was white" is indeed a very suspect statement. :roll:
I look like my Mother ( full blooded German ) and when I was a kid all the other kids had dark hair and darker skin ( lived near the reservation ) , I wished I was browner :)
but one day you say " I am what I am " and live with it .
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:43 pm

tatonka wrote:
Savannah wrote:"I wish I was white" is indeed a very suspect statement. :roll:
I look like my Mother ( full blooded German ) and when I was a kid all the other kids had dark hair and darker skin ( lived near the reservation ) , I wished I was browner :)
but one day you say " I am what I am " and live with it .
Yeah, beyond childhood it is a very rare thing to say. In modern American culture, anyway. Try to think of the last time you knew of a grown adult who would say "I wish I were [other race]", and actually mean it. 99.9% chance of provocateur bullshit. :)

. . . Although I continue enjoy the ePlayan capacity for having a thoughtful discussion without the permission of the OP.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:17 pm

yep , everyone seems right that the OP was just trolling , it would have been nice to talk to a new zelander. The Hobbit was filmed there and it is breathtaking scenery , want to visit some day.
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Doctor VonBacon

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:11 pm

if you see someone from a different race on the playa, kill them

or, something like that
Please don't. Dead bodies are very MOOPy. Errr.. Please don't ask me how I know that.
Last edited by Doctor VonBacon on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like eggs.

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm

^ careful with those quote tags, lol ;)

Doctor VonBacon

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:25 pm

48_love wrote:^ careful with those quote tags, lol ;)
Sorry 'bout that. I must be on the crack again.
I like eggs.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 pm

48_love wrote: I have a panda in a warehouse on the south side. lol ;)
Someone had to do it.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm

I once asked a black friend of mine while at Burning Man why we didn't see more blacks at the event. He replied, "Brothers and sisters are too smart."
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:50 pm

It's really a different question from why this person, should they exist, didn't have a good time.
Kind of all we're left with to talk about though.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 pm

there's always cars.
Frida Be You & Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Enough with the PMs already! I am not Doctor VonBacon. Sheesh, some of you people...

abkiwi

Post by abkiwi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Just posting again to let you know that I am, in fact, a real person, not a sock. :)

I read through the responses and thank you for your comments. I find it interesting that some were taking guesses at my race or have assumed that I was Black, but I won't comment further on that because I don't think it matters beyond satisfying a stereotype.

Anyways, prior to attending, I was told by veterans that Burning Man was a place filled with love. All social barriers are broken down and people come together in the spirit of peace and generosity. Radical inclusion and self expression sounded very appealing, too. One of my friends showed me her Burner Map and said she had over 70 friends from previous burns that she was looking forward to seeing again. I was very excited, to say the least.

I imagined meeting so many people that I would run out of gifts. In fact, upon arrival, I looked at my bag full of gifts and worried if I had brought enough. I imagined staying out with new friends and not returning to camp some nights and imagined exchanging contact information with many to stay in touch until the next burn.

None of that really happened.

It's not to say that I didn't meet a single person. I did meet some, but beyond small talk and minor interactions, it was no different than the outside world. By midweek, I realized that it is what you make of it. I came to terms with the fact that people aren't there actively looking to befriend strangers, since they have their own things going on and their friends to be with. Instead of getting down on myself about this, I took the opportunity to enjoy doing things on my own and find time to meditate, which I rarely have the time to do. I got value out of that, so I don't regret going.

The White thing that I mentioned was an observation formed from the collective responses I had gotten from the few white people I talked to. All they could talk about was the many lovely people they had been meeting and how wonderful everything was. Meanwhile, I look at my bag of gifts, still almost full. I was both jealous and sad that interactions came so easily to them, while I struggled. I have an outgoing personality and generally have little trouble meeting people, but it was a different story at Burning Man.
Last edited by abkiwi on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 pm

It's a big place. It's like the blind men describing the elephant. You were just feeling a certain part. It's taken me years to develop my footing there and it gets better every year. It isn't instant friends and family... not for me anyway. The inroads I've made to friendships there, mainly started here in this forum.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Elorrum wrote:It's a big place. It's like the blind men describing the elephant. You were just feeling a certain part. It's taken me years to develop my footing there and it gets better every year. It isn't instant friends and family... not for me anyway. The inroads I've made to friendships there, mainly started here in this forum.
**this^^^^^^^^^^**

Mostly meeting is through another person for me. I see young, hot folks, making friends everywhere, all the time there. I see more "average" as myself folks, meeting via circumstance and occasion.
Here, on this forum, I've made dear, dear friends.......people I'd do anything for, and feel they'd do for me, as well.

Jump on in here, test the waters, see who might "fit" for you. Don't be overly sensitive, keep your sense of humor.
You'll be amazed and the wonderful folks hereabout.

really.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 pm

abkiwi wrote:Just posting again to let you know that I am, in fact, a real person, not a sock. :)

I read through the responses and thank you for your comments. I find it interesting that some were taking guesses at my race or have assumed that I was Black, but I won't comment further on that because I don't think it matters beyond satisfying a stereotype.

Anyways, prior to attending, I was told by veterans that Burning Man was a place filled with love. All social barriers are broken down and people come together in the spirit of peace and generosity. Radical inclusion and self expression sounded very appealing, too. One of my friends showed me her Burner Map and said she had over 70 friends from previous burns that she was looking forward to seeing again. I was very excited, to say the least.

I imagined meeting so many people that I would run out of gifts. In fact, upon arrival, I looked at my bag full of gifts and worried if I had brought enough. I imagined staying out with new friends and not returning to camp some nights and imagined exchanging contact information with many to stay in touch until the next burn.

None of that really happened.

It's not to say that I didn't meet a single person. I did meet some, but beyond small talk and minor interactions, it was no different than the outside world. By midweek, I realized that it is what you make of it. I came to terms with the fact that people aren't there actively looking to befriend strangers, since they have their own things going on and their friends to be with. Instead of getting down on myself about this, I took the opportunity to enjoy doing things on my own and time to meditate, which I rarely have the time to do. I got value out of that, so I don't regret going.

The White thing that I mentioned was an observation formed from the collective responses I had gotten from the few people I talked to. All they could talk about was the many lovely people they had been meeting and how wonderful everything was. Meanwhile, I look at my bag of gifts, still almost full. I was both jealous and sad that interactions came so easily to them, while I struggled. I have an outgoing personality and generally have little trouble meeting people, but it was a different story at Burning Man.
I have held off replying to this topic, but I must say that BM is what you make of it. I seriously don't think the issue is related to skin color, country of origin, or cultural background. It sounds like most of your issue was caused by arriving with expectations.

Being a painfully shy person it is way outside my comfort zone to actually approach strangers and start conversations - but that is what I do at the burn because life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Not every interaction results in a lifelong friendship, but after a few burns I have numerous friends from around the globe. I don't count the quality of a burn based on how many deep friendships I have formed. My first burn I left with a good friend count of 5.

I have had meaningful interactions with folks that didn't share two words of a language we both understood. I have also had many meaningless, inane conversations with other "white folks". On the other hand I have had some great conversations with a broad spectrum of people from all races, creeds, orientations, colors, and nationalities.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking most burners really care less about what you look like than about who you are inside. Being outgoing and interesting counts way more.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:58 pm

by talking on here I got to meet alot more people than I imagined

[media]
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin